• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Shengar

I'm at HR60 but I'm down for any monster that doesn't make appearance in MH4U.
Especially Nargacuga bros and Lagia bros.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So I've been replaying this a bit with a friend and.... I just keep getting arbitrarily and randomly disconnected. All the time. Sometimes I can do 4 hunts in a row without issue, then I'll get kicked from online mode 3 times in a few minutes.

My internet seems fine, it's always still working whenever that happens. Very annoying, and just now I got booted out of a g-rank Alatreon hunt, which was really frustrating.

This wasn't happening before, when I played the game more regularly a few months ago.

Has this been happening to anyone else?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welp, had tons of disconnections again.

Was about to rage quit, but then I thought of just restarting my router's wifi. Which I could have sworn I had tried already... but it fixed everything and I played for like 5 hours straight without a disconnection. So uh... <_<

Anyway I am like HR 80 and only just started to use hunting horns, since I never tried them before. Weird stuff but it's kinda fun. I remember hearing one that sounded like a harmonica. Is there one that sounds like an electric guitar? xD

Shengar

MH4U server occasionally on such quips too. I think Capcom not really investing that much to their online infrastructure. And on electric guitar, prepare to hunt Zinogre since its hunting horn is a guitar. Fortunately it also have the best song in 3U IIRC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
MH4U server occasionally on such quips too. I think Capcom not really investing that much to their online infrastructure. And on electric guitar, prepare to hunt Zinogre since its hunting horn is a guitar. Fortunately it also have the best song in 3U IIRC.
Ah dammit I already made a lightning horn (Lagi, it's currently at Nether Flute status but I'm missing one Zin Skyemerald... xD which would also be required for making a Zin horn I bet). Unless the song loadout is really awesome, but for a guitar, that's tempting... any banjo? :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Welp, had tons of disconnections again.

Was about to rage quit, but then I thought of just restarting my router's wifi. Which I could have sworn I had tried already... but it fixed everything and I played for like 5 hours straight without a disconnection. So uh... <_<

Spoke too soon. Got tons of disconnections tonight. Resetting wifi didn't help. FML

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I play this game about once a week because my OCD friend still isn't done with all the Hunting Horns yet. The servers are rock solid most of the time.

KdylanR92

I'm trying out the ranged weapons for the first time ever after just being blademaster for so long.

I'm pretty good at sword and shield, dual swords, long swords, switch axes and i'm decent at great sword so playing a ranged class is giving me that fresh newbie feel.

Chuckpebble

Hey, got to end game on 3DS, lost my save file. Now I'm back on Wii U thanks to finally owning one and that sweet $13 deal on the eShop.

I'm hoping I can race back to G-Rank in time to finally get that Lightning Blaze gunlance that I never got my paws on. Anyone else dip into this sale and looking for a hunting buddy?

I'm on 5-7AM EST on the weekdays in the designated lobby.

tuffy

I'd be happy to send my hunter back into action to help out, though making 5-7AM EST any day of the week will be difficult.

Chuckpebble

Yeah, no biggie. I'm comfortable playing with the French randos that are on at that time. I was just hoping to find more people that are starting from scratch around these parts.

Hey! :D

I just bought it FINALLY a couple days ago!

One issue, the FUCK is up with that text when that guy talks to you at the beginning (so far)? Capcom didn't position it properly at times (to match the pixels on display) so it looks garbled. o_O At times it looks just fine!

Thankfully seemingly the important stuff like the HUD and common notices look fine.

Was this at all in the Japanese version?

What's with Capcom in text in this game? This, AND the tiny, nearly unreadable text in the Wii U version so you'd have to be very close to the TV without hurting your eyes squinting. :(

They did it so perfectly on Wii. :(

Chuckpebble

I think it's a sign of how last minute the western release was. I think that you can say much more in a smaller space with the Japanese glyphs. They just tried to jam as much text as they could into the same window borders. Was probably quite readable in the original version.

4U is far better by comparison.

PtM

Banned
I think it's a sign of how last minute the western release was. I think that you can say much more in a smaller space with the Japanese glyphs. They just tried to jam as much text as they could into the same window borders. Was probably quite readable in the original version.

4U is far better by comparison.
Wait, are you talking about 3DS MH3U?

I tested the 3D and sure enough as you move the slider the text box moves with it and you see the way the text gets that almost vertical screen-tear look when moving?

Probably just bad syncing with the screen, shame they couldn't figure out the proper default for 2D where the game runs in 60fps which is my preferred mode. :p

PtM

Banned
Say, does anyone of you have a MH4U demo code left over? I'd like to download that on a 3DS without NNID, which means there are no free downloads available.

Chuckpebble

Wait, are you talking about 3DS MH3U?
Yeah, but I guess the size isn't so much of an issue as the font there. I just remember being disappointed with some text fields that were huge but only allowed a few or limited characters. Like on shout outs or guild cards.
On Wii U, the best I can tell is they have a bitmap font that is readable on the controller screen and then they put it on the TV screen unscaled.

nin1000

Banned
Since I recently picked up a wii u I thought about picking this up. Is this game still being played even though MH4 has been released?

Chuckpebble

The first lobby had 100+ when I was on early AM EST on Tuesday. I plan on being in the gaf lobby on work mornings once the holidays are behind us. I think the population will stay steady like that until they shutter the servers. That's how Tri was.
I'm just starting out too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You know, for a weapon that barely changes game to game going back to 3U I feel so limited with the Great Sword now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'll be honest... greatsword is my least favourite weapon by far. I know it's well-liked among MH fans, but I hate it. Too slow and the timing to get the right hit is too strict. I made a Jho one and used it like once or twice and never again. I'd literally play any other weapon over this one.

Chuckpebble

You know, for a weapon that barely changes game to game going back to 3U I feel so limited with the Great Sword now.

Yeah, playing this after 4U is rough. For gunlance I sorely miss the ability to charge forward and shell out of a blocking stance. That's like the best approach in 4U. But Greatsword, I know it's not nearly true, but the moveset feels like its halved in comparison to 4U.

PKrockin

Yeah, playing this after 4U is rough. For gunlance I sorely miss the ability to charge forward and shell out of a blocking stance. That's like the best approach in 4U. But Greatsword, I know it's not nearly true, but the moveset feels like its halved in comparison to 4U.
Gunlance feels terrible to me in 4U. I don't know whether it's the weak shelling in the end game, changes to the sound effects or what, but it feels a lot more satisfying in 3U. Plus Agnaktor Z armor is the best.

Going back to 3U, the worst thing about it is not being able to tell for sure whether you're in critical distance for gunner weapons. On the other hand, it's nice to actually be able to see where my Normal 3 shots are bouncing around. I never use Normal 3 in 4U because I can't see how many times it's hitting and where.

impact

Banned
I'll be honest... greatsword is my least favourite weapon by far. I know it's well-liked among MH fans, but I hate it. Too slow and the timing to get the right hit is too strict. I made a Jho one and used it like once or twice and never again. I'd literally play any other weapon over this one.

I believe "git gud" is the appropriate response.

GS is the best weapon in the game if you can use it. I miss this game so fucking much ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
Please release on Steam Capcom. thx

PKrockin

I never get it when people call the greatsword slow. It has a fast unsheathe attack, fast sheathe speed, and you spend most of your time sprinting around sheathed. It's slow if you're trying to combo several uncharged hits or move around unsheathed, but you shouldn't be doing that anyway. Is it just because you can't move while charging?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Half seems about right actually.

Of course you lose all of the jumping off stuff attacks, but that's the same with every weapon.

Then you lose the attack after rolling, which is annoying but whatever.
Then you lose the roundslash after the full charge attack, which is basically everything. I keep trying to do it in 3U before remembering sadly that I can't.

also

Banned
That was my first impression as well; tried it only once in the demo and then I abandoned it. It wasn't until 80 hours later that I picked it up again and then it just clicked. It became my main weapon and I didn't switch over until 4U.

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone here still playing? I'm 30 hours in and would love some peeps to play with that aren't randoms. I'm not a complete noob because I did play a good amount of Tri but I'm not veteran either.

PKrockin

Anyone here still playing? I'm 30 hours in and would love some peeps to play with that aren't randoms. I'm not a complete noob because I did play a good amount of Tri but I'm not veteran either.
I'd be down. Let me know when you want to play.

p8T7kxm.jpg

Siegmeyer

Hello hunters

Picked up this game last week and it's my first foray into the MH series. Loving it so far (I made a LTTP thread in Gaming a couple of days ago), but I have a few questions that hopefully someone here can help me with.

Cha Cha and Kayamba - is there any downside to bringing them on quests? Like do the monsters get a helath buff? They're really useful in drawing aggro so I've always brought Cha Cha along (only just unlocked Kayamba).

How to I command them to do their dance things? If I press the 'signal' on the touchpad, Cha Cha says something like 'you called?' but then I don't know how to tell him what to do.

The fishing fleet - I've sent them off a few time, but so far (I'm currently doing the 5 star quests) I haven't used fish for anything, so what's the use?

The Argosy - I've sent them off few times also, but I've no idea what they came back with. Are the items going straight to my storage? When I talk to the captain there is no list of what they've salvaged like what you get from the fishing fleet.

Probably have a few more questions, but that's all I can think of for now.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Defuso

Hello hunters
Cha Cha and Kayamba - is there any downside to bringing them on quests? Like do the monsters get a helath buff? They're really useful in drawing aggro so I've always brought Cha Cha along (only just unlocked Kayamba).

No downside. You should take them with you so they can gain levels.

How to I command them to do their dance things? If I press the 'signal' on the touchpad, Cha Cha says something like 'you called?' but then I don't know how to tell him what to do.

They need a better level.

The fishing fleet - I've sent them off a few time, but so far (I'm currently doing the 5 star quests) I haven't used fish for anything, so what's the use?

You can combine some things. And on some of these fishing quests they come back with stuff, which is only found there (some pretty good armor sets can be crafted from them).

Fistwell

Not really. I know some people don't like to bring them along on some hunts due to them agro-ing the monster and making its moves less predictable but that's about it afaik.

Been a while but I think that's the only thing you can do. They're supposed to do their thing in that case, but it's pretty random/situational, changes with their mood, stamina, etc.

So many things dude!! :D
You don't necessarily need to worry too much about it, but they're a nice boost to a different number of things. They can catch fish used to craft useful bowgun ammo, some armor parts, and trade items for pointy ear captain.

The Argosy - I've sent them off few times also, but I've no idea what they came back with. Are the items going straight to my storage? When I talk to the captain there is no list of what they've salvaged like what you get from the fishing fleet.
You need to talk to him and you need to trade him for his shit. It's a barter system. He's got lots of goodies, they depend on where you send him to, different destinations yield different items.

Probably have a few more questions, but that's all I can think of for now.
Good luck hunter!

PtM

Banned
One downside to the Shakalakas is that they trash insects when you're trying to poison them. Also, lowered stance can leave monsters untriggered, but those wackos won't do anything like that.

PKrockin

They dance whenever they feel like it. It seems like health recovery dances have a X% chance of being triggered when you get hit, but other than that I have no idea. Signalling is used for communicating with others in multiplayer and to tell your shakalaka to use their mask's special ability, if any.

Top Bottom