• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: Wilds Announced | The Game Awards 2023

Capcom said the RE-X version of their engine is still a ways off. If you follow closely Capcom's game output you can tell that they are building the technology for their Next-gen RE Engine (RE-X) slowly with things like Exoprimal's high enemy density; their first Open World RE Engine in Dragon's Dogma 2, and all these elements seem to be implemented to some capacity with Monster Hunter Wilds. Capcom are masters in building upon previous features of their games and it shows here.

I think their first real RE-X engine game will be when next-gen arrives around 2027/2028. They are already looking into licensing their proprietary software to other studios, so I'm excited for more RE Engine games beyond Capcom themselves.

Wooxsvan

Gaijin does a pretty solid breakdown on his guesses:
-obviously open-world
-dynamic weather, affects gameplay
-might be setup like Iceborne's Guiding Lands with biomes connected into 1 big map
-mount seems to be fully domesticated and fully outfitted with customizations
-hunter is wearing Leather Gathering set
-time-period seems more modern day based on the construction/craftsmanship of the gear worn by the player
-heard of Goss Harag chasing hunter
-weapon in sack on hunter's mount is a Light Bowgun - can take 2 weapons into field
-key items on hunter appear to be a small Slingshot and a Scout fly cage (both things in world)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That said, Capcom has kinda been teetering on a villain arc lately as a publisher with their monetization and practices. Hope it's just a phase and MH6 doesn't get gutted by MTX and greed any worse than the stuff that is in Rise like making us pay for weapon skins, which absolutely SHOULD NOT be part of a MH game. MH Now on phones has been a real shitfest with various decisions though, so I'm a bit concerned.

I fully expect a heel turn. I can imagine having to grind licenses to hunt or alternatively pay them with real money....

-obviously open-world
-might be setup like Iceborne's Guiding Lands with biomes connected into 1 big map
-time-period seems more modern day based on the construction/craftsmanship of the gear worn by the player
-weapon in sack on hunter's mount is a Light Bowgun - can take 2 weapons into field
-key items on hunter appear to be a small Slingshot and a Scout fly cage (both things in world)

Yes. Always enjoy watching Gajin hunter. That two weapons. That very interesting.

Hrk69

I'm always down for a new Monster Hunter. It's my favorite podcast game lol

It's going to be a long wait :(

Stafford

Bro, I'm telling you. When Geoff said the trailer would speak for itself I was intrigued. Then as soon as that trailer started I got goosebumps and I jumped off my couch from joy.

I adore MHW, it came out in a year where I lost my mother and dog right in January, so it couldn't have been any worse. World was 100% my escapism from this horrible start of the year. I played that game almost non stop with my buddies.

I hope this one is early 2025. That year is gonna be NUTS with GTA VI as well.

Klosshufvud

This looks underwhelming to me as a current-gen only mainline MH title. I feel like RE Engine games generally have this underwhelming presentation I can't look past.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
This looks underwhelming to me as a current-gen only mainline MH title. I feel like RE Engine games generally have this underwhelming presentation I can't look past.

The moment when the dust storm hits and everything goes grey black it looks real bad. There's a certain grittiness to the image that feels almost aliased.

Anyways gotta wait for trailers but I feel 2024 was the year to launch, in 2025 GTA6 will hit like a meteor and suck all the oxygen.

Pejo

-obviously open-world

BRO it's so good to hear him back. I can say without a doubt that I probably would have never gotten to the point where Monster Hunter really "clicked" for me without his old weapon tutorial videos. He took a break from content creation on Rise to focus on his daughter, which is fair, but I hope he comes back for Wilds.

I fully expect a heel turn. I can imagine having to grind licenses to hunt or alternatively pay them with real money....
Don't curse us like that. I just read yesterday how Capcom's going after people streaming/making youtube content with mods enabled in Rise. Hope they don't put mod prevention mechanics into Wilds. World has some freaking awesome mods like White Fatalis that do more than just change the color, and I'd hate to see that kind of things suppressed in Wilds just so they think that it'll make it easier to sell DLC.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hope supplies/weapons on your donkey chocobo thing mean camp sites are done away with and we go back to having to do some preparation before hand and whatever we can also scavenge in the area on the fly rather than have essentially unlimited access to any items and weapons from the various camps that you can also fast travel to. Personally I've completely ignored those since World introduced them and just made do with what I brought on me before heading out for the hunt and still just knowing I can always go back, even if I don't, trivialized what was once a core concept.

Last edited:
Dragon's Dogma 2

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Pejo

Hope supplies/weapons on your donkey chocobo thing mean camp sites are done away with and we go back to having to do some preparation before hand and whatever we can also scavenge in the area on the fly rather than have essentially unlimited access to any items and weapons from the various camps that you can also fast travel to. Personally I've completely ignored those since they introduced them and just made do with what I brought on me before heading out for the hunt and still just knowing I can always go back, even if I don't, trivialized what was once a core concept.
I like that the scoutflies look to be back. Not that I loved the mechanic or thought it was novel or anything, but that means we're not gonna immediately know where every monster on the map is at all times, like in Rise. I think there's a clear point where QoL updates ruin the feel of the game, and Rise crossed that line in several areas. Camps being gone would be similarly great. In my opinion, MH got where it is by adhering strictly to its own rules that it sets firmly for the player. Long animations that force you to commit for each one, risk vs. reward, the benefits of proper preparation before a hunt and a smart use of resources while out in the field.

When those rules are more like suggestions, it loses a lot of its charm, at least for me.

Also I'm personally a huge fanboy of the slinger for using paintballs/flashbombs and stuff, so I hope that makes a comeback. Tenderizing and clutch claw can suck a dick though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Don't curse us like that. I just read yesterday how Capcom's going after people streaming/making youtube content with mods enabled in Rise. Hope they don't put mod prevention mechanics into Wilds. World has some freaking awesome mods like White Fatalis that do more than just change the color, and I'd hate to see that kind of things suppressed in Wilds just so they think that it'll make it easier to sell DLC.

I hope not Pejo, but open world is the blueprint on which GAAS games are made. Who knows what they'll monetize. In Diablo 4 items no longer have proper looks anymore, they're just a grey blanket to throw in whatever cosmetic you have available. The linchpin of cosmetics is ugly base items, ugly armor and ugly weapons.

Klosshufvud

The moment when the dust storm hits and everything goes grey black it looks real bad. There's a certain grittiness to the image that feels almost aliased.

Anyways gotta wait for trailers but I feel 2024 was the year to launch, in 2025 GTA6 will hit like a meteor and suck all the oxygen.
Yeah and the desert has no nuance. Looks like a flat muddy surface. Let down by this announcement. I expected a paradigm shift for MH.

Stafford

If this is the REX engine it looks like shit. I am starting to think this is going to be on Switch 2.

Watched the trailer again, this time in 4K and yeah, visually it isn't super great. Which is surprising, World really impressed in the first reveal gameplay. How the monsters looked and their animations, beautiful stuff. How some of the monsters here look it reminds me of Rise.

Do you think it looks like this because it's made with Switch 2 in mind? I sure hope not. But visually I do expect a lot more from a current gen only MH.

However, it's coming in 2025, and for all we know it's late 2025, plenty of time.

Last edited:

Killer8

Graphically really underwhelming (the way the dust clouds pan over the map and glitch out was jarring in the closing shots).

2025 though so hopefully will improve by then and gives me plenty of time to finish World.

Dr_Salt

Watched the trailer again, this time in 4K and yeah, visually it isn't super great. Which is surprising, World really impressed in the first reveal gameplay. How the monsters looked and their animations, beautiful stuff. How some of the monsters here look it reminds me of Rise.

Do you think it looks like this because it's made with Switch 2 in mind? I sure hope not. But visually I do expect a lot more from a current gen only MH.

However, it's coming in 2025, and for all we know it's late 2025, plenty of time.
Same here man, that original World trailer blew me away from gfx to animations and I think it also blew alot of people away considering how many copies it sold.

I'm starting to think this is more Rise 2 than World 2. For me gameplay is king and I trust Capcom but that wasn't a good trailer at all. Weird decision to show the game in the state it is and so far away from the release date.

Alexios

It's a tease you nerds, they didn't even show any boss monster or attacks or anything, just teasing people who can understand what they see with the big changes set for the formula with the huge seamless dynamic climate/weather new world and the vastly bigger herds/ecology systems past games only faked and hinted at. What was shown looks fine (considering it's not even a great quality video even at 4K etc.), I dunno where you all see the bad graphics or animations, the monsters moved just fine, especially with the natural terrain instead of flat arena grounds and with this exact asset quality will be impressive when the rest of it is revealed and shown with the protagonists, the bosses and the actual gameplay and how everything works together and different elements interact with each other. This is like seeing a clip of an altaroth and aptonoth and saying the series sucks.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

It's a tease you nerds, they didn't even show any boss monster or attacks or anything whatsoever, just teasing you for a freaking 2025 game showing what are going to be big changes for the formula with the big dynamic climate new world and the vastly bigger herds/ecology systems past games only faked and hinte at best. And what was shown looks fine (considering it's not even a great quality video and blurry even at 4K etc.), I dunno where you all see the bad graphics or animations, the monsters moved just fine, especially with the new natural terrain instead of flat arena grounds.

It can show all of that, doesn't make it a good trailer nor a good first impression specially for people who are not familiar with Monster Hunter. Like someone else said Capcom seems to be transitioning again into that mid 2010s greedy Capcom phase so I woulnd't be surpised this is targeting a Switch 2 release for maximum profit.

Alexios

It can show all of that, doesn't make it a good trailer nor a good first impression specially for people who are not familiar with Monster Hunter. Like someone else said Capcom seems to be transitioning again into that mid 2010s greedy Capcom phase so I woulnd't be surpised this is targeting a Switch 2 release for maximum profit.
Oh no, guess these clueless of the series people aren't running to buy it tomorrow based on basically just announcing the game is in dev/exists, what a gigantic loss for Capcom, o wait it's not out until 2025 and all will be actually revealed long before then, omg, what a shit show. Get a grip folks.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Oh no, guess these clueless of the series peoeple aren't running to buy it tomorrow based on basically just announcing the game is in dev/exists, what a gigantic loss for Capcom, o wait it's not out until 2025 and all will be actually revealed long before then, omg, what a shit show, get a grip folks.
They don't really care about what they showed obviously. It is gonna be on Switch 2, and it is gonna sell a shitload on name alone. "Get a grip".

Sooooooo what's the unannounced game that was supposed to sell millions by March?

The game is and always was Dragon’s Dogma 2. There is not some magical AAA ace up Capcom’s sleeve that is magically going to drop out of nowhere in time for March 2024.

Monster Hunter Wilds is likely the big early 2025 game from them to close out the next fiscal year ending March 2025.

Last edited:

Stafford

It's a tease you nerds, they didn't even show any boss monster or attacks or anything, just teasing people who can understand what they see with the big changes set for the formula with the huge seamless dynamic climate/weather new world and the vastly bigger herds/ecology systems past games only faked and hinted at. What was shown looks fine (considering it's not even a great quality video even at 4K etc.), I dunno where you all see the bad graphics or animations, the monsters moved just fine, especially with the natural terrain instead of flat arena grounds and with this exact asset quality will be impressive when the rest of it is revealed and shown with the protagonists, the bosses and the actual gameplay and how everything works together and different elements interact with each other. This is like seeing a clip of an altaroth and aptonoth and saying the series sucks.

The first reveal of MHW was loads better, if you disagree that's fine. To this day the creatures in that game still look great, detailed too. The creatures in this trailer just remind me of Rise, as in terms of how detailed the 3D models are. Yes, it's early, so a lot can happen and I sure hope so. It might be a early 2025 release though, so that gives them a little more than a year.

Could also be way later in 2025. Let's just wait for next summer when they'll show off a lot more. From a first reveal of the next MH I was just hoping to be blown away, but alas. You clearly do like how it looks and that's fine too.

The first reveal of MHW was loads better, if you disagree that's fine. To this day the creatures in that game still look great, detailed too. The creatures in this trailer just remind me of Rise, as in terms of how detailed the 3D models are. Yes, it's early, so a lot can happen and I sure hope so. It might be a early 2025 release though, so that gives them a little more than a year.

Could also be way later in 2025. Let's just wait for next summer when they'll show off a lot more. From a first reveal of the next MH I was just hoping to be blown away, but alas. You clearly do like how it looks and that's fine too.

World only had a 6 month marketing cycle from reveal to release. Wilds has over a year +. This early teaser was very very light on details for a reason, it was deliberate. They wanted to clearly convey it was the follow-up to World and that they are going open-world. They want people to spend the next 6 months wildly speculating til they do a proper full unveiling in the summer.

Personally I’m glad to know the next major AAA MH game is coming, despite only being a brief teaser. I got super bored with Rise and I’m excited for a true, proper next-gen follow up to World.

Calm your jets.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

But those trailers came out a lot closer to the release of those games.
OK, this is Monster Hunter Rise world premiere at TGA

is way better then what Capcom showed us last night, about MH World i m pretty sure that was the first trailer at Xbox E3 201X

Last edited:
OK, this is Monster Hunter Rise world premiere at TGA

is way better then what Capcom showed us last night

Rise came out less than 5 months after it was announced. They had a very short cycle and timeline to get the marketing out for it. This TGA trailer was the second major showing following the initial unveil after the Partner Direct announcement 6 weeks earlier.

Lokaum D+

Rise came out less than 5 months after it was announced. They had a very short cycle and timeline to get the marketing out for it. This TGA trailer was the second major showing following the initial unveil after the Partner Direct announcement 6 weeks earlier.
yeah i know, my point is that World and Rise did a better job at hyping me about the game, imo that trailer of Wild was just too weak.

Stafford

World only had a 6 month marketing cycle from reveal to release. Wilds has over a year +. This early teaser was very very light on details for a reason, it was deliberate. They wanted to clearly convey it was the follow-up to World and that they are going open-world. They want people to spend the next 6 months wildly speculating til they do a proper full unveiling in the summer.

Personally I’m glad to know the next major AAA MH game is coming, despite only being a brief teaser. I got super bored with Rise and I’m excited for a true, proper next-gen follow up to World.

Calm your jets.

That's true. And we've seen how some of the heavy hitters look in the middle of development and then how they turn out looking fantastic. I'm not gonna worry. I am super glad it got announced too. 2025 is going to be insane, assuming this hits in early 2025 and GTA 6 end of that year. Because I really doubt 6 will release in first half.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me I'm beyond hype for MH Wilds but at the same time I wish they didn't announced the game when this far off from release.......waiting for it makes it that much more painful.

Thankfully we have PLENTY of games coming out in Q1 2024

EDMIX

With how well Monster Hunter World did, this shouldn't really be a shock to anyone.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

It's like Capcom just forgot Rise exists

Going by Steam player numbers, Capcom are wise in pretending Rise doesn't exist. Atleast for new players, World is by far the best entry in the series.

One of these videos was like “speed runners discuss MH wilds” and it was so stupid to me… like we’ve seen almost nothing of the game, oh yes let’s speculate about speed running.

I think it’s just a symptom of YouTube culture. They have to make a video about it for views and engagement. But there’s no actual worthwhile content there that you couldn’t figure out on your own.

I’m just dreading the inevitable flood of videos that’s going to come with the lead up and launch of the game.

Inviusx

Open world Monster Hunter would be an absolute game changer. I really hope that's where they're going with this. I can't think of another title that is better suited to finally being realised as a seamless open map to explore. This just became my most hyped game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm SUPER hyped for this but at same I'm better forgetting about this game for now because just looooong way off.......unless they release their usual demo in 2024.

Top Bottom