• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Nerazar

If this was all it took we would see a lot more 3rd party support for the Switch.

I don't know what's giving people the certainty to say this.

Most projects which have started 2-3 years ago won't be able to (directly) make the jump, because noone could have known what console would come after the WiiU or the levels of success it has now.

That being said: MH:World sure looks nice, but a Switch version is far from impossible. The best-case scenario would be a cross-play / cross-save MH5:portable with MH:W. I could even live with some map restrictions etc. for being able to play that on the go.

While I certainly appreciate a PC version to drop and to play with friends, I suppose that with a Switch version, it would be easier to find people to join the hunt.

Rodin

MHW runs on the fucking MT Framework and it isn't doing anything incredibly intensive technically. At the announcement people were saying that it looked like a PS3 game, and while that's a bit of an hyperbolic statement the game is hardly Horizon so i really don't see the problem in getting it to run on Switch.

If this was all it took we would see a lot more 3rd party support for the Switch.

I don't know what's giving people the certainty to say this.

I don't know what's giving you the certainty that hardware is the reason why Switch isn't getting certain third party games since exactly 0 devs ever said that horsepower was the reason for them not bringing their titles, when we know for a fact for example that Nintendo didn't even give devkits around until recently (so i don't know why anyone would expect to see games in development since 2-3 years or more), and that in general this is usually a business decision before anything else.

Like the Gamecube, am I right?
So you agree that there must be more to it? The GC was hindered by additional requirements (like the mini CD) that kept it from getting ports it could technically run.

IIRC, the Switch uses a different platform/architecture than PC/PS4/XB1. If porting was as simple as dragging around a few sliders we would see more ports because at that level of effort/cost a port would be a no-brainer.

Gunztrix

This is the natural next step for monster hunter. I hope they still make portable versions, but I personally wouldn't play the portable versions again if they didn't keep the open environments that are going to be in MHW.

I love everything I've seen so far. It's definitely the MonHun we all know and love...

Except the art direction, which took a major hit. It feels like they fired the Zach Snyder desaturation beam at it. Very disappointing, but the gameplay looks ace.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I do, yes.
Not at 1080p, but with slightly worse particles and shadows, easily. Textures aren't particularly good, 3D models are mostly good work but not pushing a lot of polygons, envrionmental assets are pretty simple, etc.

You're making it sound like some Horizon look-alike, which is not the case. It's definitely way better than a 3DS game, but then again, what isn't? Look at the footage again.

None of that actually matters much anymore.
What matters is the lighting and the foliage, realistically.
.. Both of which look like last gen tech that could run on Switch. Foliage is pretty good, but lighting is nothing to write home about.

F31 Leopard

After watching the presentation my interest has lessened. It has the visuals I want but for me personally I thought it was way too much running around and made it look very boring. I prefer the old segmented layout where you don't need to traverse the connecting corridors and get teleported to the next area. In B4 "you prefer 1-3 sec loading screens?" No, but if they did keep the old layout they should make fast transitions fade to black like in MHO. The fast travel option somewhat alleviates time consuming trekking I guess. I don't really care for the whole QoL living breathing world thing either. I'm into prep, choose quest, cut/break body part, kill or cap monster, carve, get loot rewards, back to lobby. Does the Anjanath have a scripted path? The new footage was pretty much the same as the leak and reveal trailer e.g. Anjanath goes to that one area gets stuck in tree vines, breaks dam and gets washed of cliff etc. There's other things I didn't like or thought was pointless but whatever. That's said I'm still going to get MHW probably not release though unless they have a special edition PS4 so it can go with my MH themed 3ds and PSP.

I don't know what's giving you the certainty that hardware is the reason why Switch isn't getting certain third party games since exactly 0 devs ever said that horsepower was the reason for them not bringing their titles, when we know for a fact for example that Nintendo didn't even give devkits around until recently (so i don't know why anyone would expect to see games in development since 2-3 years or more), and that in general this is usually a business decision before anything else.
I never said I was certain the hardware couldn't run it, I questioned the absolute certainty of other users that it could. IIRC, we have yet to see a copy+paste port of a current gen AAA title, so I think it's best not to assume it's possible until it's been done (and done more than once).

This is the natural next step for monster hunter. I hope they still make portable versions, but I personally wouldn't play the portable versions again if they didn't keep the open environments that are going to be in MHW.

Yup 5th gen or bust!

The mind as well just port MHW in full to switch at this point

Kinsei

Banned
I love everything I've seen so far. It's definitely the MonHun we all know and love...

Except the art direction, which took a major hit. It feels like they fired the Zach Snyder desaturation beam at it. Very disappointing, but the gameplay looks ace.

I agree. Hopefully the next fifth gen game is much more colorful like going from Tri to P3rd.

Ridley327

Footage is looking good, but there are some things in there that do make me go "hmm" a bit:

-The lack of visual feedback for attacks is pretty glaring right now, and it's hard to know right now if that's just a toggle for demos or they're purposefully moving away from that for some strange reason. The fact that the damage numbers are a toggle makes me want to believe it's the former, but if the concern was that it might be too violent for Japanese streaming (I guess?), then why was it turned off for the closed door demo at E3, where that wouldn't be a concern? It takes a lot of oomph out of weapons like GS, hammer and LS, so it leaves this weird sensation where they're clearly operating the same but don't seem as impacting as they used to. This definitely needs to be addressed.

-Monster v. monster is looking rough for the most part. The big custom animation hits like Rathalos picking up Anjanath look great, but it otherwise looks like how it normally did in the older games, albeit with the monsters facing each other more often. This is a situation where something is preferable to nothing, but at this fidelity, it does look pretty ragged compared to everything else they've shown. If I could describe it differently, it's a concept that presents a big step forward in AI awareness for the series, but likely budget constraints makes it seem more like a half-step in the execution we've seen thus far.

-There are still some really weird AI awareness issues present. The big one for me was towards the end when Anjanath was going to sleep, despite the clear presence of hunters in the area. That does seem more like a weird legacy animation bug than anything else, so I would imagine that will get squashed by the final game.

-Weapon sound effects aren't very good, but they sound like placeholders more than anything finalized, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Still, that GS striking sound might be giving Berserk hatewatchers some immediate PTSD.

That being said, there is one mechanic that I am wondering if it's working like I think it's working: mounting. Rather than the free climb of Dragon's Dogma, it looks like there are three anchor points on Rathalos and Anjanath, corresponding to their head, back and tail. I could be going crazy, but it seems to me that the weight of the hunter on either the head or tail creates an animation state on the monster that lowers that part closer to the ground, so I'm wondering if this is their way of finally adding a serious metagame to mounting that wasn't present before, as it could mean that there's now a benefit for everyone in the party while the monster is mounted, especially for those with weapons that wouldn't be able to reach those heights otherwise.

JP_

Banned
There's no magic button to port a game obviously. Like DBF that would have no issues to run on it, it's more a problem of workforce available to port it.
Otherwise, as said before, it's MT Framework, it's not pushing that much geometry or details, there's not a lot of physics calculation, no huge textures, open world map is not too big, etc. It's a locked 30fps game where there's more going into lighting/shadows (particles aren't that expensive) than the rest, which is a natural evolution of what was on 3DS hardware (whether we're talking about the basic AI, the small details near gathering points, or the verticality).

Anyway, the game looks good, just to say that it's not some graphical beast either. No issues with that.

People keep saying this but I haven't seen anything on Switch that suggests it could handle this. I think people might be underestimating how taxing MHW is -- there's a night/day cycle and a lot of the environment is destructible, so they can't rely on baked lighting. The new animations require a lot more joints, which are more taxing to compute. There's more monsters to store in RAM and their AI is more complex. Particles generally aren't expensive, no, but the fluid movement they demonstrate in MHW is a bit more expensive. It's not the best looking PS4 game but it's still a nice looking game.

Closest thing on Switch would be... Xenoblade? Skyrim? And the visual gap is pretty obvious even though those games have a lot less going on.

Mupod

Is it me or the monsters don't deal much damage?

I mean, the starting quests of MH games from P3rd onward have monsters doing absolute piddly all damage. But it ramps up eventually.

Can't infer much from this footage either as it is either the game's tutorial or a vertical slice made to be easy.

Rodin

I never said I was certain the hardware couldn't run it, I questioned the absolute certainty of other users that it could. IIRC, we have yet to see a copy+paste port of a current gen AAA title, so I think it's best not to assume it's possible until it's been done (and done more than once).
Maybe, but Monster Hunter isn't one of them.

People keep saying this but I haven't seen anything on Switch that suggests it could handle this. I think people might be underestimating how taxing MHW is -- there's a night/day cycle and a lot of the environment is destructible, so they can't rely on baked lighting. The new animations require a lot more joints, which are more taxing to compute. There's more monsters to store in RAM and their AI is more complex.

Let me tell you about a certain game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which ran on the Wii U.

Also the scale of it, Skyrim and XB2 is much bigger than what they've shown of this game.

Endruen

I mean, the starting quests of MH games from P3rd onward have monsters doing absolute piddly all damage. But it ramps up eventually.

Can't infer much from this footage either as it is either the game's tutorial or a vertical slice made to be easy.

I hope it's because it was a tutorial, because a rathalos doing that damage at the beginning of the game is ridiculous.

Ridley327

I cross my fingers for that.
They should git gud, though.

If you're a hammer player and you're going after a fleshy tail most of the time like we saw in this video, there is no amount of git gud that will prevent you from being a terrible hammer player. :)

Galava

There is no Switch version announced, not sure why people need to talk about it in this thread.

Speculating is fun.

World is not coming to Switch, if the leak is to be trusted, Sony paid big time to not be on Switch. If the leak is not true, it's still not coming for Switch.

Maybe next MH for switch resembles World gameplay-wise, but not going to be the same game.

Mupod

I'm fucking happy MH finally have proper fluid controls for bowgunning/bowing.

I won't miss aiming that feels like I'm using a PS2 d-pad. I just hope they don't alter the playstyle of them TOO much. I love HBG to death but it needs to stay as a high risk, high reward weapon.

If you're a hammer player and you're going after a fleshy tail most of the time like we saw in this video, there is no amount of git gud that will prevent you from being a terrible hammer player. :)

yeah we have to assume they tuned the demo for these motherfuckers who don't do level 3 GS charges on downed monsters or hit tails with the hammer.

Speculating is fun.

World is not coming to Switch, if the leak is to be trusted, Sony paid big time to not be on Switch. If the leak is not true, it's still not coming for Switch.

Maybe next MH for switch resembles World gameplay-wise, but not going to be the same game.

Leak is not true.

Port begging is not fun

Annoying.

Loris146

Speculating is fun.

4chan rumor is BS.

Maybe, but Monster Hunter isn't one of them.
Care to explain exactly why, in your expert opinion as someone who has ported games to the Switch?

Really, the certainty here is what I take issue with. I imagine the Switch could run ANY game with enough compromises, but until someone does it and we see the end product I won't attest to the quality of that gaming experience.

All of that aside, "Why isn't this on Switch" and "This could/should run on Switch" is practically port begging and should be left in threads about the Switch (or just never said at all, really).

Speculating is fun.

Why would you bring it up?

JP_

Banned
Let me tell you about a certain game called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which ran on the Wii U.

...and it shows. Which is why I didn't mention it.

ISo you're talking about day/night cycle, physics, lighting and ai because...?

Because these things are cumulative. If MHW was doing all this but only looked as good as BOTW, you'd have a point. But it doesn't, so you don't.

At the moment i'm not seeing anything that MHW does better than BotW aside from textures and maybe shadows resolution

lol

Rodin

Care to explain exactly why, in your expert opinion as someone who has ported games to the Switch?

Really, the certainty here is what I take issue with. I imagine the Switch could run ANY game with enough compromises, but until someone does it and we see the end product I won't attest to the quality of that gaming experience.

All of that aside, "Why isn't this on Switch" and "This could/should run on Switch" is practically port begging and should be left in threads about the Switch (or just never said at all, really).

I'm not port begging, i'm getting the game on PC even if a Switch version gets announced because i want to play the game at 60fps as i've just said in the other thread, so i don't even remotely care about that.

It just blows my mind how people can still go with the "game is too demanding for Switch cuz it runs on PS4" even when said game isn't doing anything particularly intensive, in fact i remember people saying Switch couldn't run fucking Rocket League or anything over the PS360 version of Fifa, or even other games available on last gen consoles like RDR, GTA V and Destiny. It's confirmation bias at its finest, and it can be pretty annoying.

...and it shows. Which is why I didn't mention it.
So you're talking about day/night cycle, physics, lighting and ai because...?

Also not sure what you meant by that, BotW looks leaps and bounds ahead of XB2 and Skyrim if the Switch version isn't doing all the things from the remaster (too early to say that), and it certainly does infinitely more than both in terms of AI and physics.

Because these things are cumulative. If MHW was doing all this but only looked as good as BOTW, you'd have a point.

At the moment i'm not seeing anything that MHW does better than BotW aside from textures and maybe shadows resolution, but the scope isn't remotely similar. While it's probably best to wait for more/better footage to make a final statement about this, it's probably irrelevant. My original point is still valid, as i'm still not seeing anyhing that looks outside of what the Switch is realistically able to do, with maybe a few adjuments.

Reposting from the other thread:

I zoomed in on the HBG screen and rewatched.

How the machinegun mode works:

There's a UI element of 10 blue bullets above your normal ammo selection. You have to load to use them. Once you load them, You get about 1 second of full auto for each bullet present.

Once the hunter fully used all 10, the bullets became a blue gauge that slowly filled back up. It's on a 3 minute cooldown from the footage.

No clue if it'll fill up if you also don't use all the bullets at once.

Tenbatsu

Footage is looking good, but there are some things in there that do make me go "hmm" a bit:

-The lack of visual feedback for attacks is pretty glaring right now, and it's hard to know right now if that's just a toggle for demos or they're purposefully moving away from that for some strange reason. The fact that the damage numbers are a toggle makes me want to believe it's the former, but if the concern was that it might be too violent for Japanese streaming (I guess?), then why was it turned off for the closed door demo at E3, where that wouldn't be a concern? It takes a lot of oomph out of weapons like GS, hammer and LS, so it leaves this weird sensation where they're clearly operating the same but don't seem as impacting as they used to. This definitely needs to be addressed.

-Monster v. monster is looking rough for the most part. The big custom animation hits like Rathalos picking up Anjanath look great, but it otherwise looks like how it normally did in the older games, albeit with the monsters facing each other more often. This is a situation where something is preferable to nothing, but at this fidelity, it does look pretty ragged compared to everything else they've shown. If I could describe it differently, it's a concept that presents a big step forward in AI awareness for the series, but likely budget constraints makes it seem more like a half-step in the execution we've seen thus far.

-There are still some really weird AI awareness issues present. The big one for me was towards the end when Anjanath was going to sleep, despite the clear presence of hunters in the area. That does seem more like a weird legacy animation bug than anything else, so I would imagine that will get squashed by the final game.

-Weapon sound effects aren't very good, but they sound like placeholders more than anything finalized, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Still, that GS striking sound might be giving Berserk hatewatchers some immediate PTSD.

That being said, there is one mechanic that I am wondering if it's working like I think it's working: mounting. Rather than the free climb of Dragon's Dogma, it looks like there are three anchor points on Rathalos and Anjanath, corresponding to their head, back and tail. I could be going crazy, but it seems to me that the weight of the hunter on either the head or tail creates an animation state on the monster that lowers that part closer to the ground, so I'm wondering if this is their way of finally adding a serious metagame to mounting that wasn't present before, as it could mean that there's now a benefit for everyone in the party while the monster is mounted, especially for those with weapons that wouldn't be able to reach those heights otherwise.
Well said, I have exactly the same thoughts as you. The animations do lack 'weight' and the attacks feedback are way too light. They seriously need to fine tune on this. Past MH games have a superb attack feedback system.

crinale

Well said, I have exactly the same thoughts as you. The animations do lack 'weight' and the attacks feedback are way too light. They seriously need to fine tune on this. Past MH games have a superb attack feedback system.

.. with green sharpness? I don't remember that much..

crinale

Attack the weak point of a low rank monster with green sharpness and you'll get good feedback.

Yeah, as much as the guy hit Rathalos's head with vertical slash at 57:26, which we already know that is the weak spot (and you can hear the very traditional MH "slash" sound with very nice hitstop)
As for Anjanath we don't know the thing about weak spots so I can't comment on it.

Its likely due to the relative weakness of the starter weapons in the demo

Remember this was all about showcasing specific talking points and not meant to be indicative of all the details

I imagine the feedback and staggers work like before where sustained and heavy enough hitting attacks are needed (with the right sharpness) to break stagger thresholds

Ridley327

Its likely due to the relative weakness of the starter weapons in the demo

Remember this was all about showcasing specific talking points and not meant to be indicative of all the details

I imagine the feedback and staggers work like before where sustained and heavy enough hitting attacks are needed (with the right sharpness) to break stagger thresholds

Well, I'm talking more about the visual indicators for landing hits than anything else, but we can always use more stagger states!

ilium

You can move now, but the new healing animation seems to be about 1 second longer than before. It may also be tied to the amount healed, so healing a smaller amount could take less time.

Reposting from the other thread:

I zoomed in on the HBG screen and rewatched.

How the machinegun mode works:

There's a UI element of 10 blue bullets above your normal ammo selection. You have to load to use them. Once you load them, You get about 1 second of full auto for each bullet present.

Once the hunter fully used all 10, the bullets became a blue gauge that slowly filled back up. It's on a 3 minute cooldown from the footage.

No clue if it'll fill up if you also don't use all the bullets at once.

I was wondering about that, thank you.

Most projects which have started 2-3 years ago won't be able to (directly) make the jump, because noone could have known what console would come after the WiiU or the levels of success it has now.

That being said: MH:World sure looks nice, but a Switch version is far from impossible. The best-case scenario would be a cross-play / cross-save MH5:portable with MH:W. I could even live with some map restrictions etc. for being able to play that on the go.

While I certainly appreciate a PC version to drop and to play with friends, I suppose that with a Switch version, it would be easier to find people to join the hunt.

MHW runs on the fucking MT Framework and it isn't doing anything incredibly intensive technically. At the announcement people were saying that it looked like a PS3 game, and while that's a bit of an hyperbolic statement the game is hardly Horizon so i really don't see the problem in getting it to run on Switch.

Maybe if there's demand for it

yeah the sleeping thing was always really dumb to me but I legit cant think of a way to fix it

Like I dont know maybe make the monsters make a barricade for the area to sleep in and the hunters have to break it/find another way around

Top Bottom