• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most memorable comic book death scenes? (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAOz

Short bus special
I don't have an image for it, but, I have to say the death of Fergus McDuck in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

It's notable for being the only on-panel depiction of a dead duck in the entire Disney Ducks series. Sure, there's been ghosts and tombstones and all those things that implies deaths, but no duck corpses... with one single exception. I read that Don Rosa did not expect Disney to allow that page, let alone that panel at all. But to everyone's surprise, they DID! And thus, the first depiction of a duck, lying dead in his bed at dawn came to be in the story proper, causing many a reader to do a double take.

I'll admit other comics have more powerful deaths, but I'm adding this one to the list simply because there was only one. The father of Scrooge McDuck at the end of chapter 9.

Motherfucker. Yes. Emotional as fuck.

You are now my brother.

I've got a few:

From Whedon's Astonishing:
Scott's (temporary) death, not for the death itself, but for this particular scene that resulted:
1c6eaaaaab9c44e9dbad354e4216050d.jpg
Within the last couple months Emma has become one of my favorite X-men.
-------------------------------------------------
Kitty Pryde flying into space on the bullet
----------------------------------------------
Doc Ock's death in Superior Spider-man
Just...damn
Apocalypse in the beginning of Uncanny X-Force

The way Fantomex just shot a kid in the head was chilling. Especially considering Deadpool basically told him it was fucked up.
Frreal
Jean Grey Phoenix death in the moon.
Lawd almighty, I was but a mere child and it still wrecked me.
Daken's death.

Problem is no one liked Daken so most cheered that this finally happened but still a pretty heavy scene.

I mean fuck Daken, right, but that scene wrecked me. Not only did it make me severely uncomfortable, it fit perfectly with the themes of the book, and was also very emotional all throughout. I actually felt bad for Daken.

I don't have an image for it, but, I have to say the death of Fergus McDuck in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

It's notable for being the only on-panel depiction of a dead duck in the entire Disney Ducks series. Sure, there's been ghosts and tombstones and all those things that implies deaths, but no duck corpses... with one single exception. I read that Don Rosa did not expect Disney to allow that page, let alone that panel at all. But to everyone's surprise, they DID! And thus, the first depiction of a duck, lying dead in his bed at dawn came to be in the story proper, causing many a reader to do a double take.

I'll admit other comics have more powerful deaths, but I'm adding this one to the list simply because there was only one. The father of Scrooge McDuck at the end of chapter 9.

Motherfucker. Yes. Emotional as fuck.

You are now my brother.

The whole page (and chapter) was so bitter sweet. When Downy suddenly appears in the second panel. And that last panel when Scrooge, Hortense and Matilda are driving away unaware of what happened, excited about the future. ;(

Ridley327

Yeah

Marvel should've enacted the hardline "no resurrection" rule with aunt may that they did for Ben and Gwen

It is kind of amazing that her death was one of the best things that came out of the Clone Saga, only for her "resurrection" to wind up as one of the most strikingly stupid elements of a storyline that already wasn't hurting for competitors in that category.

Red

Damian wayne's death. For some reason it hit me hard. That news report at the end ruined me.

"Bug, I have to break in! We are getting reports that the current violent conflict between Batman and Unknown assailants has taken a victim.

Robin is dead. Repeat. Robin is Dead."
The issue following his death, with Bruce taking out his feelings on criminals, was really effective.

Kinyou

I've got a few:

From Whedon's Astonishing:
Scott's (temporary) death, not for the death itself, but for this particular scene that resulted:

Within the last couple months Emma has become one of my favorite X-men.
-------------------------------------------------
Kitty Pryde flying into space on the bullet
Makes me wonder what a Joss Whedon x-men movie would be like (where he actually has full control). He'd at least do Emma Frost some justice

Fmal

Banned
DKSA was written by post-Crisis Frank Miller and is probably one of the worst comics I've ever read, but the death scene for Captain Marvel in it is so good. It must have been something that Frank wrote pre-9/11 and sat on for the final issue or something.

VanWinkle

Wouldn't somebody have to have read through virtually every comic on earth to be able to read this thread and not get spoiled on something?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What the hell? Explain

The kid is a paralyzed boy that Black Adam empowered with Captain Marvel style powers, and the crocodile has been his meek sidekick/comic relief for several issues, constantly complaining that he's hungry. The kid reverts back to his normal form by saying Black Adam's name, which the crocodile tricks him into doing so he can kill him, because the crocodile has been biding his time for such an opportunity. It ties into the Egyptian mythology that underlies Black Adam and his backstory.

It doesn't work too well isolated like that, but if you read all of 52 up to that point, it's a jawdropper.

Wouldn't somebody have to have read through virtually every comic on earth to be able to read this thread and not get spoiled on something?

Only the good ones. I haven't seen anything in this thread I haven't already read before.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ezekiel death in Spider-Man was pretty good when he realised that while he had the power of the Spider, he never did anything with it whereas Peter used it to help other people.

I also liked Peter's death during The Other.

Doc Ock's death in Superior Spider-man

Just...damn

I love Peter pose when he says "My turn"

Yeah

Marvel should've enacted the hardline "no resurrection" rule with aunt may that they did for Ben and Gwen

Yeah they should have.

Though had they not done that we wouldn't have the Aunt May during JMS run when she found out that Peter was Spider-Man and how she struggled to deal with that before becoming proud of him.

I miss that Aunt May that sadly got erased due to One More Day.

Astarte

Morpheus's death in Sandman got to me, as well as Ted Kord's death and his subsequent 'resurrection' via Booster's shenanigans.

bjork

I had just turned 10 when I read Kraven's Last Hunt for the first time. Still sits in my mind as one of the best mini-arcs ever, almost 30 years on. He proved himself Spider-Man's better in his own mind and now he's done, so he goes out. So cool.

Hex

Banned
I had just turned 10 when I read Kraven's Last Hunt for the first time. Still sits in my mind as one of the best mini-arcs ever, almost 30 years on. He proved himself Spider-Man's better in his own mind and now he's done, so he goes out. So cool.

Highly agree.
One of , if not the best Spiderman arc ever.

Hystzen

Hal Jordan reigniting the Sun in Final Night.

More a punch seeing him visit Oliver's grave lamenting on Himself going Parallax , murdering the Green Lantern Corps and seeing this as his only redemption.

Sami+

Oh man, how could this have slipped my mind haha

Probably my favorite comic arc ever, it's just so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom