• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Sunrise: I've read high recommendations about this movie, and with it being $1 to rent on Amazon, I felt I had to bite. So it starts off as off-putting to me.

"Hey, I feel we had a connection there."
"Yeah, me too."

The two of them have only been together for a few hours (?). Do people actually talk like that? Anyway, they go around Vienna, (beautiful city, BTW), and they just talk all night. Sure, there's the pinball game, the poet, and the palm reader, but they mostly just talk. It started to feel dull, but as the movie went on, I did come to like the characters to the point where I do want to continue with the other Befores.

It was the new M Night Shyamalan flick, SPLIT. Just finished editing a few days ago. Pretty good. About a group of girls kidnapped by a dude with 23 personalities who are awaiting the arrival of the 24th... The Beast.

GIANT SPOILER. I AM NOT JOKING. DO NOT READ.

THIS SPOILER IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE ENDING, BUT SOMETHING EVEN BIGGER.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

REDACTED.

I bet you didn't want to read that. I told you not to read it.

EDIT: I removed the spoiler upon reflection because this is the greatest twist of Shyamalan's career. It ranks among the greatest twists ever.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Cafe Society is such a good movie. was honestly surprised by the sheer quality of it, its a really really great romance with solid performances, touching moments and a masterful (and sad) ending. Not Annie Hall tier Allen though, but considering how up and down his output has been in the last 20 years it's a sorta miracle

UrbanRats

Ordet - Beautiful reflection on faith, and what a finale, damn.

31 - Wanted to like it, but the more i think about it, the more i think it was just a mess, with some interesting ideas throughout, but not nearly enough to keep it together.
Nice riff on the Joker though.
If so much of it wasn't set among boring pipes and ladders, it could've worked better, the shots in red of the "nobles" were the more interesting ones.

Kazaam

I feel an obligation to acknowledge this post. Unfortunately I am in no position to help but good luck on your quest!

Thanks for the bump. It was a very slim chance, but was worth a try anyway. I will continue my search and hopefully it will lead to some kind of access to (at least parts of) her filmography.

Violet_0

Banned
Star Trek: Beyond

okay-ish movie at best, the space station looked cool and it got one stand-out scene, but I mainly want to post here because there were quite a few things I didn't get -
are the evil henchmen supposed to be robots/drones? (they were totally inspired by Metroid Prime's Space Pirates, btw) How did Idris Elba suddenly acquire life-draining powers? Who was that fake-scientist alien lady really and why did no one do a background check before sending out an entire ship? And what's the deal video that shows them getting evacuated when we later find out that they were stranded on the planet for over a century?

Suicide Squad

did anyone notice that the only person who
technically committed suicide
wasn't actually part of the suicide squad?
It was the new M Night Shyamalan flick, SPLIT. Just finished editing a few days ago. Pretty good. About a group of girls kidnapped by a dude with 23 personalities who are awaiting the arrival of the 24th... The Beast.
just watched the trailer, this looks pretty interesting

EDIT: I removed the spoiler upon reflection because this is the greatest twist of Shyamalan's career. It ranks among the greatest twists ever.

Is the twist that the 23 personalities are all Abraham Lincoln?
590055.jpg

Seriously, the twist of SPLIT is insane in the best way. It elevates and recontextualizes the film, pretty much wiping away any little problems I had until that moment.

I think the movie comes out in January, so good luck avoiding spoilers until then. I'm glad I saw it knowing nothing. See it ASAP for maximum effect.

Peru

2555268.jpg

Documentary. A naturally compelling story: 14 year old Laura Dekker sets out to become the world's youngest person to sail around the world alone. The government tried to stop her but off she went. Much of the film is her own footage from the boat. She makes stops around the world so there are some meetings and farewells.

The movie focuses less on the technical aspects of sailing this journey. But it's such a sensational adventure for this girl to go on that the bildungsroman aspect is equally exciting. A special person with special skills who is completely at ease at sea, and only at sea.

Trailer

Meliorism

Seriously, the twist of SPLIT is insane in the best way. It elevates and recontextualizes the film, pretty much wiping away any little problems I had until that moment.

I think the movie comes out in January, so good luck avoiding spoilers until then. I'm glad I saw it knowing nothing. See it ASAP for maximum effect.

It's definitely already out on Twitter. Someone mentioned knowing it without actually saying anything and then they DM'd me. That shithead Harry Knowles asked the most asinine question about it, too.

lordxar

The Avenging Conscience. What a boring movie this was. Yes I know it's from 1914 but there was so much bullshit filler in here it just made this thing drag on and on. The insanity parts weren't even that good. Meh...I hope other DW Griffith movies aren't this boring because I'd like to check a couple more out.

Blood Feast. My first Herschell Gordon Lewis flick and I loved it! Cannot imagine what people in the 60's thought of his work. The Egypt feast angle was pretty cool if a bit juvenile and the acting was soooooo b movie. Very cool though. Going go dig into more of his stuff if I can find more. Also looks like the band Rigor Mortis got their Wizard of Gore song inspired from his movie of the same name so that's a nice tie in.

Blader

Some more reviews I've been sitting on.

The Departed
Rewatch. First time and even second time I saw this, I loved it. Now watching it again some x years later, I still really dig it, but notice it's a bit frayed around the edges. A handful of unnecessary scenes -- not long ones, just some pointless small digressions here and there, which throw the pacing a bit of whack. Also some weird, abrupt and unpolished sound and music editing choices. Generally great acting all around, with the exception of Vera Farmiga's uneven Boston accent (which I forgot she was even doing since most of the time she doesn't even have the accent. also, when will Hollywood realize that not every person in Boston has the accent?). Something about the pacing feels a bit off; like the movie is constantly hitting the gas and then hitting the brake. Maybe that's not a big deal. Baldwin and Wahlberg are hilarious in this. Give them their own spin-off, Marty!
8/10

Doodlebug
Christopher Nolan short. Neat.
6/10

Picnic at Hanging Rock
Mystery about a group of missing boarding school girls and the unrest this causes back at their college. Has a very hazy aesthetic, uneasy feeling to it that contributes to the overall sense of something weird is going on here. I like the ambiguity of the mystery. I did not like
finding out that it wasn't a true story at all!
7/10

edit: wow, what the hell, Terrence Malick is doing a Q&A at a theater in my hometown? How random. That theater is a dump, too.

It's definitely already out on Twitter. Someone mentioned knowing it without actually saying anything and then they DM'd me. That shithead Harry Knowles asked the most asinine question about it, too.

I spoiled it for a few minutes when Shyamalan was saying he didn't care, but then edited when Tim was like fuck that.

You seeing SHIN GODZILLA today? Come find me. I'm a bald white guy with a beard. Should be easy to spot.

smisk

Too many good movies coming out this fall/winter.. besides the obvious ones like Rogue One and Doctor Strange, I also want to see Arrival, American Pastoral, Passengers and The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Probably a couple I'm missing too.

thenexus6

The Magnificent Seven 1960 and 2016

I wanted to watch the original again before the new one, as its been so many years since I last saw it. Must be easily 10 or so.

It's so great, awesome cast, legendary soundtrack. Just a good fun movie.

The new one is pretty good, it was especially interesting watching them back to back across two nights with the similarities (obviously). It's a solid movie but the original is still better in my opinion.

I am glad that they
played the original theme at the start of the end credits, only for like 20 seconds. But happy to see that there.

James Horner's last score too :(

I think I am going to also watch Seven Samurai again soon, I haven't seen that in forever either.

Finally back from vacation and watched a few movies on the plane.

X-Men: Apocalypse. Bryan Singer was tryin to be all clever and shit on X3 by sneaking in a pointless scene where some of the younger X-mans go see Return of the Jedi and talk about how the third movie is always the worst, but the funny thing is that applies equally to this movie since it's his third turn directing on of these movies, and it was honestly just as bad, if not worse, than X3. Fassbender, McCavoy, and Isaac do their damnedest to try to make their material engaging, but the movie is just fucking bad. And long. It's a shame since I really liked Days of Future Past. I thought it did a solid job of making an ideology the central antagonistic force which is pretty unusual for a big superhero blockbuster, but this one was just limp dick mediocre cgi destruction and felt like it just existed to tick the expected boxes for an X-Men movie.

Sing Street was much better. It got a little too typical indy twee adolescent male fantasy for the ending, but the lead up to it was filled with both effective humor and emotional scenes with not too much fanfare or angst surrounding it. One of the better recent coming of age flicks I've seen, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing.

Wreck-it-Ralph was pretty fun. I just wish we got to go into more of the different arcade cabinets though, since that's a big part of my enjoyment with a lot of these recent high concept animated movies is seeing the various zones they explore in their worlds, like in Zootopia, Inside Out, or Lego Movie.

SeanC

Blood Feast. My first Herschell Gordon Lewis flick and I loved it! Cannot imagine what people in the 60's thought of his work. The Egypt feast angle was pretty cool if a bit juvenile and the acting was soooooo b movie. Very cool though. Going go dig into more of his stuff if I can find more. Also looks like the band Rigor Mortis got their Wizard of Gore song inspired from his movie of the same name so that's a nice tie in.

You have to watch Blood Diner now, it's the unofficial sequel and it just got a Blu Ray (along with Chopping Mall) release from Vestron. It's also a dark comedy kind of poking fun at the absurdity of it all.

100 on those reviews fancy clown except I thought wreck it Ralph was kinda dogshit. I'm just not a big cartoon guy anymore though so that might be why thats the case. It has to be exceptional at this point for me to care much or a bit out of the norm or something

This was such a brilliant documentary, focuses on StuxNet developed by CIA/NSA/MOSSAD.

Blown away by the details the film makers were able to document throughout the film. The way the exploit was explained was truly masterful.

The ending gave me shivers.

images

2555268.jpg

Documentary. A naturally compelling story: 14 year old Laura Dekker sets out to become the world's youngest person to sail around the world alone. The government tried to stop her but off she went. Much of the film is her own footage from the boat. She makes stops around the world so there are some meetings and farewells.

The movie focuses less on the technical aspects of sailing this journey. But it's such a sensational adventure for this girl to go on that the bildungsroman aspect is equally exciting. A special person with special skills who is completely at ease at sea, and only at sea.

Trailer
This sounds fascinating, think I'll watch it tonight

RAW: After a vet school hazing ritual, a lovely little weirdo abandons vegetarianism. Sexy and gross, it's finger-lickin' good.

Up next...

SHIM GODZILLA!!!

I'll be the last person to defend X-Men: Apocalypse but it was nowhere near as bad as The Last Stand. As it stands (no pun intended), Apocalypse is very mediocre, average in almost every sense, whereas The Last Stand is pure dog shit. It's one of the few films that actively makes me angry. Like, fuck that movie.

lordxar

You have to watch Blood Diner now, it's the unofficial sequel and it just got a Blu Ray (along with Chopping Mall) release from Vestron. It's also a dark comedy kind of poking fun at the absurdity of it all.

Damn that bluray isn't cheap lol

The Birds. Classic. Just an absolute classic. The bluray I have is of the color version which looked incredible. What shocked me was how much of a love story this was. All I had was a vague memory of the main chick opening that upstairs door and some of the end. Glad I bought this.

Before Sunset: A great follow-up to Before Sunrise, and a great idea to wait 9 years for the actors to age up. What I really like about this movie is that it almost takes place in real time. Their last encounter and lives in between haven't always been pleasant. At the same time, they pretty much pick up where they left off. As Jesse said, it feels like it's been 2 months since the Vienna trip.

I think I like Sunrise more. Despite Sunset being shorter and in real time, I like the wider variety of settings in Sunrise.

X-Men: Apocalypse. Bryan Singer was tryin to be all clever and shit on X3 by sneaking in a pointless scene where some of the younger X-mans go see Return of the Jedi and talk about how the third movie is always the worst, but the funny thing is that applies equally to this movie since it's his third turn directing on of these movies, and it was honestly just as bad, if not worse, than X3. Fassbender, McCavoy, and Isaac do their damnedest to try to make their material engaging, but the movie is just fucking bad. And long. It's a shame since I really liked Days of Future Past. I thought it did a solid job of making an ideology the central antagonistic force which is pretty unusual for a big superhero blockbuster, but this one was just limp dick mediocre cgi destruction and felt like it just existed to tick the expected boxes for an X-Men movie.

Bingo, my thoughts exactly.

Train to Busan
Korean take on the zombie apocalypse/outbreak trope. All in all a good movie that is more about the characters than the zombies (arn't they all) but none the less a solid action/drama. The main character's personality shift from kinda blah to showing how much he actually cares for his family was nice. Only issues are the fairly typical Korean media personalities of the characters and lines they have without really trying to do something more interesting. A complaint that can only really be made if you have seen a lot of Korean TV like I have I guess, would really like to see something different in this regard. Detached rich lead and daughter, his rival being a "from the streets tough guy" who had to make it on his own ect... though who was oddly well dressed for the character they were trying to portray his pregnant wife. They of course showed the usual, humans are the real monsters scene.

All in all a good movie, just about 20 or so minutes too long imo. All the circumstantial explosions and what not at the end were unneeded, as well as the "fight" with the sole zombie. Really like seeing that Korean movies have really stepped it up in recent years. Would give it a 7/10. The zombie action in it tends to be pretty good too all things considered.

Zootopia
Out of nowhere, borrowed from a friend. I enjoyed the movie I guess. Honestly only payed maybe 75% attention to it. I think I would have liked it more if I had payed 100% attention too it but my mind started to wander at the 50% point. Like the world, and characters. But failed to see why it was so praised. I enjoyed the point of it all though, you can be more than what people say you are type stuff. But felt like that point was made too early in the movie and the rest was just trying to prove it. Still thought it was cool though.
6/10... maybe I need to rewatch it or at least the second half.

SHIN GODZILLA: Reboot of the classic series. Japanese bureaucracy scrambles to defeat the monster. G is scary; destruction is epic.

See it at theater for maximum effect.

I appreciate how in sync our takes on Raw are. We even had the same closing line.

Ha! Respect. I suspect we are going to see that line pop up a few more times.

Also, how awesome was that soundtrack?

Ridley327

The Fly II: As far as wholly unnecessary sequels go... well, it's wholly unnecessary. Trading the effective pathos of Cronenberg's masterful reimagining of a B-movie favorite for being a straight B-movie, the film sets its sights on baser thrills. In of itself, that's not that big a problem, as it's hard to imagine how longtime special effect tech/first-time director Chris Walas would have wanted to follow up such an experienced vet so directly, but the film's biggest failings come in the form of not being able to live up to its own modest ambitions. Chiefly, there's really not much intrigue involved, forecasting the central conflict of Martin from the very beginning and making it very clear early on that his benefactors are far from the noble scientists that he's led to believe. The unerring predictability of the story is in desperate need of a lot more excitement and uncertainty that Walas doesn't attempt to provide until the last 20 or so minutes, when the film finally becomes the special effects gross-out that it should have tried to be more of in the preceding 80 minutes. In its place is the film's attempt at capturing the romantic qualities of its predecessor, but try as they might, Eric Stoltz and Daphne Zuniga can't get any sparks to fly out the severely underwritten relationship between them, making their relationship DOA and rather excruciating to get through. The writing doesn't serve the stabs at emotional connection at all, opting to barrel through a lot of important development while keeping motivations too simple as a bandage, and while the romance is the biggest casualty, it also torpedoes the other small moments, including a potentially fantastic character moment involving euthanasia of a kind. It's frustrating to watch this since there are a lot of great ideas like that one throughout that could have stood to be fleshed out a lot more than they were, to the point where I think it could have easily survived not being directly tied into another property and be spun off into its own thing. It would have been so easy to play up the mystery by withholding Martin's lineage until it was absolutely necessary to clue him into it, or at least tone down the plotting and scheming of our villains so that it's not immediately obvious that they're up to no good, and the film would have been tremendously better for it. It was never going to be The Fly, but that didn't have to mean that it had to be a bad film.

SHIN GODZILLA: Reboot of the classic series. Japanese bureaucracy scrambles to defeat the monster. G is scary; destruction is epic.

See it at theater for maximum effect.

Ha! Respect. I suspect we are going to see that line pop up a few more times.

Also, how awesome was that soundtrack?
I'm so excited for this. I've heard it acts as a metaphor for Japan's recent disasters much like the original was a metaphor for the nuclear attack

Peru

This sounds fascinating, think I'll watch it tonight

A quote from the director stuck with me (paraphrased): Letting your 14 year old daughter sail a perilous journey around the world alone is generally not a good idea, but it was the right thing to do for this specific girl in these very specific circumstances.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
all on Blu Ray:
What we do in the shadows - excellent, my watch for this year so far.
Everly - utter trash, waste of minutes.
Green Inferno: nice documentary with bits of cannibalism
Hardcore (Henry): surprisingly entertaining, albeit cheesy
Batman v. Superman Dawn of Jusitce: meh.

T Dollarz

I'll be the last person to defend X-Men: Apocalypse but it was nowhere near as bad as The Last Stand. As it stands (no pun intended), Apocalypse is very mediocre, average in almost every sense, whereas The Last Stand is pure dog shit. It's one of the few films that actively makes me angry. Like, fuck that movie.

Felt that way about both these movies. Walked out of the theater legitimately pissed that they exist. Offensively bad. So weird the range that Singer has been able to reach with the X-Men franchise. Days of Future Past was pretty good, certainly enjoyable. Then two years later he makes a steaming pile of shit. I don't get it. Every time Apocalypse or Jennifer Lawrence were on screen I was basically face palming at ridiculousness.

Anyways, surprised to say that I really enjoyed The Magnificent Seven (2016). The whole cast of seven was great, some gorgeous vistas and an exciting finale. The script was a little weak for sure, but the actors' charisma was strong enough to keep me positive on it. My theater was loving it too, lots of cheering and applause throughout. Really just a solid popcorn flick.

The Wailing (2016)
A Korean crime thriller with some fantasy elements. It was actually great and well-paced for an almost 3 hours movie. Even though it reminded me of Memories of A Murder in a couple of places, it doesn't reach the level of that film and it kind of left me unsatisfied as I'm still not exactly sure I understood what happens; which makes me want to watch it again actually. Unlike Train to Busan, the acting here felt more mature and was generally better, and this movie looked wonderful (it takes place in a mountain village and really takes advantage of that atmosphere). It's not exactly an action-packed film but there was this ritual sequence in the middle of the film that was just crazy awesome and it grips you from that moment on.
8/10

Weiner (2016)
A documentary about Anthony Weiner's run for mayor after his first sexting scandal. And holy shit has Weiner never got himself into that clusterfuck he would've been one of the most popular politicians in the US. However, seeing how everything unfold and considering the latest scandal which came out after this doc, really makes you feel for Huma (his wife). I definitely recommend this, it's worth all the praise it got...and an opportunity to reflect at a simpler time in American politics.
9/10

Meliorism

I spoiled it for a few minutes when Shyamalan was saying he didn't care, but then edited when Tim was like fuck that.

You seeing SHIN GODZILLA today? Come find me. I'm a bald white guy with a beard. Should be easy to spot.

I remember what you look like....but I rewatched Elle lol.

Daante

Now you see me 2

Quite messy movie, which i didnt enjoy as much as the first one.
I think they even failed somewhat to make it a easy-enjoyable-6/10 movie.

5/10

gamz

Before Sunset: A great follow-up to Before Sunrise, and a great idea to wait 9 years for the actors to age up. What I really like about this movie is that it almost takes place in real time. Their last encounter and lives in between haven't always been pleasant. At the same time, they pretty much pick up where they left off. As Jesse said, it feels like it's been 2 months since the Vienna trip.

I think I like Sunrise more. Despite Sunset being shorter and in real time, I like the wider variety of settings in Sunrise.

Yep. I adore all three but Sunrise always has a special place in my heart.

Wait to you see Before Midnight. Holy crap the last 45 minutes are pulse pounding!

Ex Machina - Wow, this was fantastic. I was expecting something...slower, I guess? It was such a tense suspenseful thriller, with this great sense of claustrophobic dread and some unsettling imagery. All wrapped in an intriguing rumination on AI. A wonderful primer before Westworld too.

Maidentrip - Also excellent. A documentary about 14 year old Laura Dekker's solo circumnavigation of the world. Very compelling and powerful, and quite refreshing to see a real-life story with such a hopeful outlook when so many fictional and dramatized telling of sailing adventures focus on disaster and survival.

Yep. The last one that was goodgreat was Bride. That may be my favorite of the series.
The only thing I remember from Bride Of Chucky is when they pull out the lip ring and he bleeds a lot. That was actually educational.

https://youtu.be/rUYMKoa-A8g

RAW: After a vet school hazing ritual, a lovely little weirdo abandons vegetarianism. Sexy and gross, it's finger-lickin' good.

Raw - France's answer to Ginger Snaps - except it revolves around cannibals instead of werewolves. It's finger lickin' good. 7/10

tumblr_mh7de2xa5l1qzzf25o1_500.png

?

Gonna keep my eye out for it.

NOVA SEED: Lion man fights to save naked green cutie from Dr. Mindskull in cartoon drawn by one man over 4 years. Strong HEAVY METAL vibe.

SALT AND FIRE: Scientist is kidnapped en route to ecological disaster. Teases genre elements, but defies obvious. #herzog

THE AUTOPSY OF JANE DOE: Father and son coroners work late to examine a mysterious body. Tight focus and building dread.

THE GREASY STRANGLER: Father/son relationship is tested by the arrival of a hootie-tootie disco cutie. Touching and transcendant. Does love make bullshit artists of us all?

RANDOM RANKING TIME: Kurosawa edition

1. Seven Samurai
2. High and Low
3. Ikiru
4. Yojimbo
5. Rashomon
6. Throne of Blood
7. Kagemusha
8. Stray Dog
9. Sanjuro
10. Drunken Angel

these are my top ten
(I've only seen ten)
. discuss.

I feel like Throne of Blood might jump up a spot or two on a rewatch for me, been thinking about that movie a lot recently. The only thing better than watching a Kurosawa for the first time is rewatching a Kurosawa for the first time imo, all of the ones I've seen twice I've enjoyed even more the second time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom