• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving to Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

Lately, I have been increasingly concerned about what will happen to the United States if Bush is reelected in 2004. Since it's always better to be proactive, rather than reactive, I thought I would ask for advice on moving to Canada.

Why Canada? There are a lot of reasons: the language barrier is non-existent, the national anthem can actually be sung by the average citizen, and hey -- some of the coolest people on this board are from Canada. Also, I am intrigued by how your heads pop off your mouths when you talk. Seems like fun.

I realize that I'd have to make some sacrifices. For one -- I'd need a new line of work, since the U.S. government wouldn't take kindly to me working for the Canadian defense industry. I'd have to figure out how to watch American sports, since I'm just as in love with hockey as I ought to be. Also, it's damn cold up there, and I'd need to invest in some warm beanies to keep my bald head from freezing.

All kidding aside -- how hard is it for someone to move to Canada and get a job? Is property expensive? How bad are the tax rates? And (for those of you in Canada) -- would you ever want to live anywhere else?

darscot

Sorry were all filled up with folks that know nothing about us that come here to hide. Please fix your own country and not come fuck up ours.

A portion of this was meant as humor.

Azih

Tax rate are genearally a fair bit higher than in the states. Depends on the province though, with Alberta being by far the lowest taxed.

Job situation is decent. Depending on what your field is. Alberta is top notch if you're in oil & gas. Vancouver is a technology hotbed and Toronto is good for pretty much anything.

Watching American sports should not be a problem at all, a lot of variety in sattelite and cable television packages.

In terms of weather some parts of British Columbia just do not get cold.

Nope, wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Suranga3

I live in Alberta, we play least tax in any juridiction in north america to my knowledge. I dont pay tax, since I only have a summer job and I got to a post secondary institution.

For interest Canada's federal tax rates are:

Up to $35,000 - 16%
35,001 - 70,000 - 22%
70,001 - 113,804 - 26%
113,805+ - 29%

Here's a quote from another forum comparing the tax rate between the two countries:

"One other tax myth I'd like to debunk is the American/Canadian myth.

I filled out tax returns for both countries using the exact same income for 3 years. Alberta/Canada taxes were always less than North Carolina/USA and Virginia/USA. And we get free health care in Canada, which is not at all insignificant. Americans can pay $1000/month or more if they go at it alone for health care coverage that is no where near as good coverage as the Albertan government provides. "

Don't come to Ottawa. Unless you want to work for the government. Or in the IT industry. But who would want that? ;)

*is posting from a big IT firm*

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
6.8 said:
Don't come to Ottawa. Unless you want to work for the government. Or in the IT industry. But who would want that? ;)

*is posting from a big IT firm*

Ottawa is soooooo boooooooooring :( .

*wants to move to the States*

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the health care in toronto sucks. you have no idea at least in toronto.. how bad hospital wait times can be.

Saturnman said:
Vancouver, while pretty, has outrageous property prices and generally higher crime than in the rest of Canada.

I suggest Kelowna, Nanaimo, or Victoria if someone were to move to BC and didn't want to end up in Vancouver. Property prices are better, the weather is the same as Vancouver, services are similar, and the surrounding area is amazing.

No, don't. The Leafs suck.

PS: I agree. Ottawa's not the most fun city around. But there's jobs in the IT industry, so... I'm staying. ;)

Tool

Banned
Why not settle the job situation and then decide? Apply to jobs in Canada, see what's available and if you like something then pick up and move for the new job.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That makes the most sense. As long as you don't end up in Toronto or Winnipeg, you should be fine. :p

Are you planning on applying for Canadian citizenship eventually? Or are you just planning on riding out the 4-year wave before heading back, should Bush manage to steal another election?

Socreges

Banned
For one -- I'd need a new line of work, since the U.S. government wouldn't take kindly to me working for the Canadian defense industry.
Are you sure? The US and Canada have fairly integrated defense systems. For instance, NORAD. Canadian defense, in many ways = American defense.
Vancouver, while pretty, has outrageous property prices and generally higher crime than in the rest of Canada.
Given so much to respond to, you immediately give reasons to not live in Vancouver, despite the fact that no one had even suggested it yet.

Spiiiiiitefuuuulll... ;)

FYI, there are many places in and around Vancouver where you can find fair property prices and practically non-existent crime rates.
I suggest Kelowna, Nanaimo, or Victoria if someone were to move to BC and didn't want to end up in Vancouver. Property prices are better, the weather is the same as Vancouver, services are similar, and the surrounding area is amazing.
Kelowna and Victoria are really nice, if not mundane. But Nanaimo? Yech. What an awful city.

bishoptl said:
That makes the most sense. As long as you don't end up in Toronto, Winnipeg or Vancouver, you should be fine. :p

Fixed for Bishop. ;)

I just wanna say wherever you move to in canada, don't check off your list montreal that easy. It's a fuckin awesome city and don't be fooled, there is no language barrier here. Ask anybody here that's from montreal. Lowest rates in Canada for Apartments. We're highly taxed it's true but the salaries make up for it.

Montreal has also the greatest football team in Canada.
The hockey team with the most championship wins in the world.(24)

We're an all-around awesome city.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The Bookerman said:
Yeah, they were unbeaten until they rolled into Vancouver and got pimp-slapped right in the grill. ;)

BC LIONS REPRESENT

xsarien

daedsiluap
Tool said:
Why not settle the job situation and then decide? Apply to jobs in Canada, see what's available and if you like something then pick up and move for the new job.

Well, the thing is that regardless of WHERE you're looking, it's very difficult to convince a company to hire you before you actually live within the general area. It makes it very difficult to find a job before you move.

I'd also make the jump to Canada for awhile. Every trip there in my life has been nothing but awesome.

The Bookerman said:
Fixed for Bishop. ;)

I just wanna say wherever you move to in canada, don't check off your list montreal that easy. It's a fuckin awesome city and don't be fooled, there is no language barrier here. Ask anybody here that's from montreal. Lowest rates in Canada for Apartments. We're highly taxed it's true but the salaries make up for it.

The hockey team with the most championship wins in the world.(24)

We're an all-around awesome city.

No mention of the hottest ladies in north america. SHAME ON YOU! :p

Socreges said:
Are you sure? The US and Canada have fairly integrated defense systems. For instance, NORAD. Canadian defense, in many ways = American defense.

Given so much to respond to, you immediately give reasons to not live in Vancouver, despite the fact that no one had even suggested it yet.

Spiiiiiitefuuuulll... ;)

FYI, there are many places in and around Vancouver where you can find fair property prices and practically non-existent crime rates.

Kelowna and Victoria are really nice, if not mundane. But Nanaimo? Yech. What an awful city.

I said Nanaimo because it is pretty centralized on the island. I used to live there and it is indeed not the greatest but there are nice parts. The people are pretty good but the whole place is pretty redneck.

If I had my choice of where to live and retire to I'd probably pick Victoria. The city is so nice and quiet.

WARCOCK

Banned
"No mention of the hottest ladies in north america. SHAME ON YOU!"

So fucking true. I was at beach club alot this summer. Seriously i have no words to describe it. CHATTEKINGDOM.

My friend was like "dude wtf are you talking about you live in LA". Seriously i go alot to long beach and newport. Sometimes laguna. And its not nearly as hot as montreal. So much grade A pussy, simply clubbing hurts your cock :(.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I support Vancouver ! Best place on earth and on sea :O

*Ques new BC 2010 commercial music~

NetMapel said:
I support Vancouver ! Best place on earth and on sea :O

*Ques new BC 2010 commercial music~

Vancouver is pretty grand. I adore living here. The crime...compared to a US city of equivalent size it is no where near as bad. Most prevalent crime in Vancouver is car theft. Murder happens hardly ever. Home Invasion is 2 to 3 times a year at the most and that almost always happens in Surrey.

bishoptl said:
Yeah, they were unbeaten until they rolled into Vancouver and got pimp-slapped right in the grill. ;)

BC LIONS REPRESENT
hahaha

I was just thinking about this today, they should be called the Vancouver Lions. We don't play the Quebec Allouettes, the Ontario Argonauts, or the Alberta Eskimos.

Mike Works said:
hahaha

I was just thinking about this today, they should be called the Vancouver Lions. We don't play the Quebec Allouettes, the Ontario Argonauts, or the Alberta Eskimos.

Yeah, but BC is just pretty messed up as a whole. It's the only province where no pro sports team could survive in the capital city. ;-)

Anybody wondering why Victoria is quiet just has to look at how many plants are growing. The drug trade is probably the #1 job there right now. :-\ I seriously can't recommend any part of the island if you're looking for a legit job.

I do miss the weather, though.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I must give it up to Montreal - their women are AMAZING. Seriously, no matter where you look - poised, sexy, and incredibly fashionable. Vancouver's got some amazing ladies as well, but Montreal...hoo boy.

Victoria is the Satanism capital of Canada, btw.

Fifty

Mississauga is where the fly ladies at.
misscityo.JPG

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Satanism, Paganism - the names may change, but they are all Darkfriends, turned from the path to Light.

Funny how this thread has turned. Somehow I don't see jinx making a serious life change solely based upon "where da hot chix at, yo". :D

I lived in Vic for almost 2 years and never saw or heard any satanic goings on. I heard James Bay is the big part of the city but I had a friend who lived there and he never saw anything out of the ordinary. It is all probably urban legend.

I've never been to Montreal and I believe what I hear about the women. That said, Vancouver is FULL of amazing ladies. Just FULL of them.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If I were to move to Canada, it would DEFINITELY be to Vancouver (well, maybe not the city itself but at the very least somewhere in the area). I just love that part of the world.

calder

bishoptl said:
Somehow I don't see jinx making a serious life change solely based upon "where da hot chix at, yo". :D

As long as he's basing it, at least in part, on his desire to see his devout Satanism respected this thread is still bursting at the seams with loads of good info for him.

I have family in Nanaimo. Most boring afternoon of my entire life was spent there. But that might have mostly been them - my least interesting uncle and my most annoying aunt and wouldn't ya know it they're my godparents. Victoria was nice, but seems pretty catered to elderly women who put the faux 'British' in 'British Columbia'. Vancouver was nice, but you have to know going in that ultimately your goalie won't win you shit. Calgary is nice but a bit bland for having as much money and good jobs as it does. Edmonton is basically Calgary with colder winters, a bit less money but a pleasing lack of cowboyesque posturing (in comparison anyway).

I'm not sure exactly what you do jinx but I'm guessing it's academically/technically hardcore, so I think you'll find the most jobs in your field in major centers like Vancouver, TO (and surrounding area), Ottawa, Calgary, Montreal and the like. Smaller cities like Winnipeg/London/St. Johns have some very technical jobs but in narrow fields like gov't medical research and the like. Again without knowing exactly what you do (and if I'm confusing you with someone else I apologise) as a rule any research/very technical position you find in Canada is probably not as compelling, well paying or cutting-edge as jobs you'd find easier in the US.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I lived in Calgary for 2.5 years when I was 10-13 years old. Obviously I can't say much about taxes, etc...

It gets DAMN cold in Calgary and Edmonton. It can snow 10 months a year basically.

I enjoyed it though, but as an Adult... I don't know if I could stand the winters. I know my parents barely could.

Saturnman

Banned
Lathentar said:
I lived in Calgary for 2.5 years when I was 10-13 years old. Obviously I can't say much about taxes, etc...

It gets DAMN cold in Calgary and Edmonton. It can snow 10 months a year basically.

I enjoyed it though, but as an Adult... I don't know if I could stand the winters. I know my parents barely could.

P*ssy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom