• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI Claw Pricing Detailed

Topher

Gold Member
7ZGz481.png

Basically the only difference here is between the two CPUs and the storage. $700 has the Intel Core Ultra 5 135h. Intel shitty naming continues. $750 and $800 has the Intel Core Ultra 7 155h. The $50 difference is for 1 TB vs 512GB.

Someone will have to check behind me, but from what I can tell the only difference between the chips, is the Ultra 7 has 2 more performance cores than the Ultra 5 and a .2 GHz variance in frequency.

The GPU looks like it is exactly the same in both.

Total cores for the Ultra 7 is 16 (6 performance, 8 efficiency, 2 low power).

Total cores for the Ultra 5 is 14 (4 performance, 8 efficiency, 2 low power).

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing being put up against Rog Ally and Legion Go. Better do well considering the Rog Ally, in particular, is on sale for $600 regularly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hmm taken from that article makes me wonder why they chose this solution

Gamers, content creators, and experts working with large datasets or resource-intensive applications may discover the restrictions of DRAM-less SSDs hindering their workflow

And

. Gaming:

Gamers frequently benefit from the speedier loading times and smoother gameplay offered by Dram SSDs. The high-speed perused and compose operations encouraged by the Dram cache permit for speedier loading of game levels, surfaces, and resources, upgrading the gaming involvement

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Total cores for the Ultra 7 is 16 (6 performance, 8 efficiency, 2 low power).

Total cores for the Ultra 5 is 16 (4 performance, 8 efficiency, 2 low power).

It looks like you have a typo in either the total number of cores or how many of each core. The Ultra 5 says 16 total just like the Ultra 7, but the math on it comes out to 14.

Thanks for the OP. I'm going to pass on this one, though. I already have a Steam Deck and an Asus ROG Ally. I can't justify dropping the money on a third handheld.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Hmm taken from that article makes me wonder why they chose this solution

Gamers, content creators, and experts working with large datasets or resource-intensive applications may discover the restrictions of DRAM-less SSDs hindering their workflow

And

. Gaming:

Gamers frequently benefit from the speedier loading times and smoother gameplay offered by Dram SSDs. The high-speed perused and compose operations encouraged by the Dram cache permit for speedier loading of game levels, surfaces, and resources, upgrading the gaming involvement

Lower cost, lower power consumption are probably some reasons. And even as it’s DRAM-less, it’s still a Gen 4 NvME SSD so will still be relatively speedy.

people can always swap out the SSD to a bigger capacity one.

My main concern is why MSI is keeping benchmarks close to their chest.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have been a huge fan of the intel arc cards since they were first released (strictly price vs performance vs market) and I still would recommend those cards to folks building a 1440p machine on a budget. Like everyone I would love to see the performance specs. Upgrading the nvme to 2tb will cost around $100 for a good drive and don't think this will run HoloISO (no amd graphics) but I haven't checked on it in a while so it might support arc at this point (quick search says people have it up and running on arch).

Topher

Gold Member
It looks like you have a typo in either the total number of cores or how many of each core. The Ultra 5 says 16 total just like the Ultra 7, but the math on it comes out to 14.

Thanks for the OP. I'm going to pass on this one, though. I already have a Steam Deck and an Asus ROG Ally. I can't justify dropping the money on a third handheld.

Thanks. Corrected. Yeah......I think there will be a lot of folks passing on this one, honestly. Too expensive and doesn't appear to have any real benefits over existing Windows handhelds.

Guy on NerdNest podcast said he thinks this is just Intel paying a chunk of money to get a competing product out.....even if it doesn't succeed.

Last edited:

Xyphie

GPU looks to be the same between the 135H and 155H, so no reason to really get anything above the $699 SKU.

Last edited:

Superbean

Neo Member
16 cores of shit

It's amazing how the PC handheld market instantly went from nonexistent to saturated with shit, all thanks to Steam Deck which is the only one people want anyways

Last edited:
16 cores of shit

It's amazing how the PC handheld market instantly went from nonexistent to saturated with shit, all thanks to Steam Deck which is the only one people want anyways

Because they are all half-baked "me too" devices released by PC manufacturers who were caught off guard (somehow) by smartphones, tablets, and the Steam Deck completely destroying their market for low-spec piece of shit low and mid tier laptops. Gamers want a gaming handheld, your average joe is fine with his smartphone, and kids get ipads in otterboxes. Laptop users went Macbook or high end gaming/desktop.

StereoVsn

Fuck these Windows handhelds and their 16GB of RAM.

Next.
Yeah, the issue is that if you allocate even 6GB to GPU, not enough RAM remains for the OS and the game. I mean it works okish, obviously, but in 2024 one would hope for more, even if as an option.

Here is to Ally 2 hopefully correcting this toward latter part of the year.

Ozriel

M$FT
A4imw7M.jpg

MSI Claw running the Assassins creed Mirage benchmarks much worse than the Legion Go, despite running at significantly lower resolution on the Claw.

The MSI execs should be arrested if they release this in this state.

Slimboy Fat

In ~1 year there will be a nice performance jump for handhelds with AMD's "Strix point" chip and faster RAM. Very interested in what specs the Deck 2 will sport tbh but that seems like a 2026 product

Top Bottom