• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI Claw, the new MSI Steam Deck Competitor, has been released

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there a consensus on which of these is the best besides the steam deck?

You open to all those retro handhelds in various price brackets from $100 to $2000? Or you just talking the only real two other choices in the first place, the Asus Ally and the Legion Go?

Both the Ally and Go are better than this. Go has the gigantic screen, and ally has the VRR and better software. Both the Ally and Go have 16GB of RAM so I ain't ever buying them.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You open to all those retro handhelds in various price brackets from $100 to $2000? Or you just talking the only real two other choices in the first place, the Asus Ally and the Legion Go?

Both the Ally and Go are better than this. Go has the gigantic screen, and ally has the VRR and better software. Both the Ally and Go have 16GB of RAM so I ain't ever buying them.
Mostly referring to the steamdeck likes. The ally and the go. I thought there were even more of them this point lol

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Mostly referring to the steadeck likes. The ally and the go. I thought there were even more of them this point lol

Yup, that's really it so far, at least that I'm aware of. You also have the GPD devices like the GPD WIN Mini has a full keyboard and VRR and 32GB of RAM, and reviewers really like it, but that clamshell laptop form factor definitely is an acquired taste.

I'm still ok waiting it out a bit longer for the next round of Ally/Go devices with the next gen of AMD iGPU chipset and hopefully more RAM.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I knew it wouldn't be great because of the Intel chipset but I didn't expect it to be that bad, holy shit

Intel needs to improve their efficiency asap- they will never survive in this market otherwise

Is there a single person on Earth that likes that D-pad? Like for real!
They'd have to fire me to stop me from objecting to that thing being on any controller ever again.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is there a single person on Earth that likes that D-pad? Like for real!
They'd have to fire me to stop me from objecting to that thing being on any controller ever again.
Yeah it looks good. Like the Xbox Series dpad which was really responsive.

Don't see the issue with it tbh

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Whats that?!?! I can't hear you . You must be using the xbox dpad.
Yep it's loud. I'll happily take that noise for the most responsive dpad currently out there. It's the closest current Gen analog to the vita dpad which I really enjoy.

Though I'm not using my Xbox controller anymore- I sold it alongside my series s

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What handheld would I buy if I wanted to play COD, Roblox and Fortnite?
The Steam Deck is "open", and you can install Windows on it yourself pretty easily - just need a license. Then it can play literally anything a Windows PC can play, and pretty well for a $400 (+windows tax) handheld.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The Steam Deck is "open", and you can install Windows on it yourself pretty easily - just need a license. Then it can play literally anything a Windows PC can play, and pretty well for a $400 (+windows tax) handheld.
Yeah I know, though the experience on windows is sure to be worse than on an ally.

I was just taking the piss out of that statement- It isn't the answer to literally all our questions, options are a good thing.. this option is just really bad

That being said for me it's the goat device

Last edited:
Yeah I know, though the experience on windows is sure to be worse than on an ally.
i have Windows on my SD and now I play Ally exclusively - I wouldn't say that.

The track pads on Steam Deck are really nice for Windows navigation. I just prefer the Ally due to horsepower considerations.

Minsc

Gold Member
i have Windows on my SD and now I play Ally exclusively - I wouldn't say that.

The track pads on Steam Deck are really nice for Windows navigation. I just prefer the Ally due to horsepower considerations.

Yeah, I get that too. The vast majority of games I've been playing all run at 60/60fps on the Deck using minimal resources - at max graphics (if you can even call it that), stuff like Octopath, Clash of Heroes and other 2D games. So I definitely prefer the nicer screen when the Deck isn't even being stressed, and the better battery life.

But if I were playing games with a noticeable bump in performance then I'd probably favor the faster system. Which is great, but also gets to be expensive. Because the Ally 2 / Go 2 will be faster than the current Ally / Go, which is faster than the Deck, and the Deck 2 will likely be faster than the Ally 2 / Go 2, and the Ally 3 / Go 3 will likely be faster than the Deck 2, and the Ally 4 / Go 4 will be faster than the Ally 3 / Go 3, and the cycle never ends.

Just yearly Windows handheld upgrades! Which is good and bad I guess, but you know there will 100% be games the Ally 2 runs faster than the Ally, and if the reasoning is you prefer them on the faster handheld system, then hopefully the market for used handhelds stays healthy! :)

Yeah, I get that too. The vast majority of games I've been playing all run at 60/60fps on the Deck using minimal resources - at max graphics (if you can even call it that), stuff like Octopath, Clash of Heroes and other 2D games. So I definitely prefer the nicer screen when the Deck isn't even being stressed, and the better battery life.

But if I were playing games with a noticeable bump in performance then I'd probably favor the faster system. Which is great, but also gets to be expensive. Because the Ally 2 / Go 2 will be faster than the current Ally / Go, which is faster than the Deck, and the Deck 2 will likely be faster than the Ally 2 / Go 2, and the Ally 3 / Go 3 will likely be faster than the Deck 2, and the Ally 4 / Go 4 will be faster than the Ally 3 / Go 3, and the cycle never ends.

Just yearly Windows handheld upgrades! Which is good and bad I guess, but you know there will 100% be games the Ally 2 runs faster than the Ally, and if the reasoning is you prefer them on the faster handheld system, then hopefully the market for used handhelds stays healthy! :)

Yeah, my current target is something that runs Dragon's Dogma 2 at decent framerates and settings. It will be helped by a patch from Capcom but I'm thinking the Ally 2 is in my future.

StereoVsn

ASUS ROG Ally or Legion Go. Do you want to have a more stable system with better software and VRR screen? Take the Ally, mind the SD card issues, but it’s super easy to upgrade the internal drive on this.

Do you want a bigger screen, somewhat inferior software and a bit gimmicky controller setup that could be used as a mouse? Get the Go.

And if you don’t care about MP on a handheld, get Deck OLED.

Last edited:

Codes 208

The Ally. Easy to upgrade the ssd, good form factor (though i do recommend buying a grip case), and its considerably more stable now than it was at launch.

CoD runs decently enough at low-mid settings when running 25-30w, I havent tried Fortnite yet though

Hohenheim

For those games I'd say Legion Go. Bigger screen and better sticks. The sticks on the Ally is very loose.
I replaced my Ally with the Go, and the Go is a step up.
But for handheld gaming I use the OLED deck 90% of the time.

Top Bottom