• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS's owned IPs this gen is fucking NUTS

SinDelta

Imagine how embarrassing it would be if Sony had multiple AAA titles delayed! Thankfully GT, HZD2, and GoW2 will all be here so soon!
Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo I just want fun games from them.
Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
They could easily have the strongest and most varied first party lineup now. They just have to do something with all these franchises.

Blinx 3.

So Sony didn't show 12 months of software last year in their June event? Because they did and 3-4 of those have released. And More coming soon. Nintendo's issue is they can't supply software fast enough while the others have more third party support and exclusive third party to pad out their slate.
"Microsoft especially" but Sony announced God of War Ragnarok too early and they definitely announced Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, and TLOU2 way too early last gen. Sony isn't as bad at it but they all announce games too early, a year out. I'd much prefer the announce the games the same year they release.

I don't know what's going on with Nintendo, they haven't been showing anything new lately really.

sainraja

Imagine claiming you like games but jump on a pro xbox game thread to denounce every title.

I knew this thread would go the way it went instantly. Why are playstation gamers so triggered about games on another platform.
I think you are deliberately ignoring the nuances that are present in a conversation. If you only look at what is being said through the lens of someone who is a fan of said box, you are letting your bias influence your understanding and basically getting defensive. People aren't being mean to Microsoft here. With this acquisition, Microsoft has brought a lot of studios under their wing and so far their messaging hasn't exactly been clear. No one would have assumed otherwise (about exclusivity) if you didn't have Phil Spencer saying things like: "...we'll look at it on a case by case basis..." or "....it will be first or better on Xbox..." and even with their latest statement on the matter that leaves that room open by stating "some"; nothing has changed from what we knew of the matter before to now. If those things weren't said, everyone would have assumed exclusive until told otherwise.

This isn't a Sony fans wanting something to be true vs Xbox fans hoping that they finally have something to hold over Sony fans. Microsoft hasn't been clear on the matter and I think we are going to find out this week (thursday, right?). Please, move away from that non-sense. You can prefer your boxes but don't make it into a war where you need to one up the other.

Last edited:
I think you are deliberately ignoring the nuances that are present in a conversation. If you only look at what is being said through the lens of someone who is a fan of said box, you are letting your bias influence your understanding and basically getting defensive. People aren't being mean to Microsoft here. With this acquisition, Microsoft has brought a lot of studios under their wing and so far their messaging hasn't exactly been clear. No one would have assumed otherwise (about exclusivity) if you didn't have Phil Spencer saying things like: "...we'll look at it on a case by case basis..." or "....it will be first or better on Xbox..." and even with their latest statement on the matter that leaves that room open by stating "some"; nothing has changed from what we knew of the matter before to now. If those things weren't said, everyone would have assumed exclusive until told otherwise.

This isn't a Sony fans wanting something to be true vs Xbox fans hoping that they finally have something to hold over Sony fans. Microsoft hasn't been clear on the matter and I think we are going to find out this week (thursday, right?). Please, move away from that non-sense. You can prefer your boxes but don't make it into a war where you need to one up the other.
My post wasn't about MS games being on another platform. My post was about certain 'gamers' trashing every one of those games because its on a particular platform. Reread the thread.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This gen looks like it's going to be a long one for you.

There doesn't appear to be many games coming from any of the big publishers that are to your tastes.
Are you joking!? I recently I got Bravely Default 2 which currently put over 70 hours in to it and later this month Monster Hunter Rise coming out and in demo alone I put 90 hours in to that game as well. Then in April I’m getting NieR Replicant ver 1.22 and Kena in August.

Last edited:
EiiRnthXkAIthF0

i don't know how well they can manage them , but just looking at this image tells you MS is DONE playing the underdog in every generation

well, Phil, i never cared for your company before, you most definitely have my attention now
giphy.gif

Epic.

Looks like the XBOX Series generation will see the return of the 360 era goodness. A lot of people are underestimating XBOX. I don't think people understand just how big their portfolio is now along with Game Pass.

Hezekiah

Banned
Let's hope it doesn't mean lots of GamePass fodder, and Gears 4 / Halo Infinite jobs on previously good franchises.

D3SCHA1N

I do hope that whatever Arkane's 2nd team is making is good. I really hope FABLE is good. That's honestly the xbox exclusvie title I'm most interested in but that interest is highly dependent on Playground's execution. With Rod no longer at the Coalition, they may have a bit more freedom to try new ideas within the Gears franchise, so there is some potential there, but that could go either way. We'll see, it'll still be a couple years before any of this bears any real, substantial fruit.

Andodalf

Banned
I do hope that whatever Arkane's 2nd team is making is good. I really hope FABLE is good. That's honestly the xbox exclusvie title I'm most interested in but that interest is highly dependent on Playground's execution. With Rod no longer at the Coalition, they may have a bit more freedom to try new ideas within the Gears franchise, so there is some potential there, but that could go either way. We'll see, it'll still be a couple years before any of this bears any real, substantial fruit.
Arkane Austin has to be close. Spring 2022 at the latest.

PooBone

Lots of people pointing out that MS owned Rare and that was a waste.

While true, they didn't own their most popular franchises, particularly Donkey Kong Country and Goldeneye. Regardless, as with any developer, it will all come down to talent retention, which didn't occur with the Rare purchase.

Papacheeks

Banned
Lots of people pointing out that MS owned Rare and that was a waste.

While true, they didn't own their most popular franchises, particularly Donkey Kong Country and Goldeneye. Regardless, as with any developer, it will all come down to talent retention, which didn't occur with the Rare purchase.

Though correct, rare made Kameo which was a nice surprise and viva piñata. Then made sea of thieves which took like a year to be content relevant. They have squandered that studio who had a lot of top tier talent leave when MS bought them, more so after their first couple titles on xbox. Then you look at 343 which it looking like they had multiple people from other studios help get that studios shit together.

Really hope the "new" studios like playground show MS how product management is done. Hopefully someone from the ranks of one of those studios rises up and takes over Xbox studios. They need someone at the helm who is competent.

Let's wait first and see how many of those MS will decide to shut down.

Last gen, the only notable studio Microsoft shut down was Lionhead..though haters love to pretend like Twisted Pixel, Press Play, FASA and Ensemble were huge losses.

Now look at them.
23 1st party studios AND were getting Fable back. :)

Keep living in the past, though!

D3SCHA1N

Last gen, the only notable studio Microsoft shut down was Lionhead..though haters love to pretend like Twisted Pixel, Press Play, FASA and Ensemble were huge losses.

Now look at them.
23 1st party studios AND were getting Fable back. :)

Keep living in the past, though!
I really do hope Playground nails it with Fable, really looking forward to seeing what they do with it, remains to be seen though if xbox can keep all these plates spinning harmoniously though.

Lmao. MS cannot even keep their flagship game on course and now you think they can suddenly spin out a dozen wins? By what? Next 2 or 3 years?

They've had six years to be ready for this launch. After finishing last behind the switch you'd think they could have planned better by actually getting shit out on time.
Last behind Switch lmao? You don't get to release another system as a retry for one of the worst blunders in console history and then get to claim some kind of victory.

Nintendo lost the 8th generation by a country mile, no if's, and's or but's about it.

PhaseJump

Banned
Last behind Switch lmao? You don't get to release another system as a retry for one of the worst blunders in console history and then get to claim some kind of victory.

Nintendo lost the 8th generation by a country mile, no if's, and's or but's about it.

Oh, look. The one who denied the existence of the Series S is laying down ground rules about how others get to release another system and win shit posting arguments.

"lmao" indeed.

giphy.gif

SNG32

While they have a lot of ips how many do you think they will utilize? Since development costs are high for games and Microsoft is usually known for making their studios a 1 or 2 ip studio hopefully they take risks with this acquisition.

rolandss

Bethesda’s acquisition put them back in the game for sure and it’s a much more even playing field now. I hope what we see from MS and Sony this gen is more new IPs because while PS4 was great with an amazing finish with my personal favourite game on the console, Ghost of Tsushima, everything else their first party trotted out seems like a retread.

But I’m not totally against sequels. If Fallout or Elder Scrolls go console exclusive I might buy an Xbox for the first time in my life. That said, I have no interest in any of the other IPs Bethesda was putting out, nor anything, except perhaps having always wanted to but never played a Forza game, that MS and the studios mentioned are pumping out. Just those two.

Last edited:
Bethesda’s acquisition put them back in the game for sure and it’s a much more even playing field now.
We have been hearing that for at least two generations now. Tell me, exactly what Xbox didn't have before that they do now? And consider that the same people for the last decade are in charge still, what will change? All i see is MS spending money. And as far as I can tell that is used as a metric alone for success as if spending more means bigger returns.

It is an even playing field when Microsoft has good games. They tried an entire gen to make it themselves and failed. Now they are buying a full size studio. But whether that studio would actually make the games that are good is yet to be seen. Remember that there is a parallel universe where "Electronic Arts" is releasing the latest C&C saga that outshine Starcraft, and we are playing Dungeon Keeper 8 without any microtransactions.

All i see is MS spending money.

You mean like how Sony spent money on The Order 1886, Bloodborne, Persona 5, Street Fighter 5, Detroit Become Human, Guilty Gear Xrd, Until Dawn, Death Stranding, Nioh/Nioh 2 and Spiderman and subsequently, Insomniac (not to mention timed exclusivity on various games)?

News flash: spending money is how you get content on your platform.

Without those 3rd party deals, we'd be talking more about things like how Sony Santa Monica, Bend and Polyphony put out only 1 game during the entire PS4 generation.

I mean damn..Sony just paid for Returnal and timed exclusivity on Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Kena Bridge of Spirits, Final Fantasy 16, Project Athia, etc...hell they even tried to pay for Starfield!
I don't see any complaints about any of this.

It's just isn't as fun when the rabbit has the gun. Period.

PooBone

Though correct, rare made Kameo which was a nice surprise and viva piñata. Then made sea of thieves which took like a year to be content relevant. They have squandered that studio who had a lot of top tier talent leave when MS bought them, more so after their first couple titles on xbox. Then you look at 343 which it looking like they had multiple people from other studios help get that studios shit together.

Really hope the "new" studios like playground show MS how product management is done. Hopefully someone from the ranks of one of those studios rises up and takes over Xbox studios. They need someone at the helm who is competent.
I played Kameo and Viva Pinata. Both of those games sold something like half a million copies and were considered financial failures. Hearing that MS is saying they basically wanna leave all the Bethesda games alone is a good thing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I played Kameo and Viva Pinata. Both of those games sold something like half a million copies and were considered financial failures. Hearing that MS is saying they basically wanna leave all the Bethesda games alone is a good thing.
Of course it is that is what we all begged for after Darth Don. To give studios creative freedom. I trust Matt booty will continue doing that. If his hands off management has kept a guy like Brian fargo from retirement that speaks volumes of his management style.

Exanthus

Banned
So it's gone from, bethesda games will still come to Playstation, to how many studios will MS shutdown? One thing after another :D

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This is true...and alot of strict Xbox fans just CANT LET GO of the 360 era. Reminds me of the guys who peaked in highschool and still think theyre the coolest and everyone else is jealous. But hey 🤷🏻‍♂️
With this deal it could spell the same for Sony fans and PS4 the glory years

Top Bottom