• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Colored Game Boy Micros?

I'm hearing black and silver at launch. I wasn't sure if Nintendo would release multiple colors due to the fact that the faceplates can be changed, but perhaps they still see the $$$ in releasing mulitple colored units. We should be seeing pics and price very soon.

Ironclad

I'm not surprised to see multiple colors. It's a good move though. Even though there are interchanageable faceplates, it's good to start off with two base colors. There will probably be faceplates at launch too.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I would be shocked if that happened!

just kidding of course

On a different note, has it been determined if the Micro will play GBC games? I couldn't remember what Nintendo had said at E3 regarding that subject, but I pulled this sentence from NOA's press site:

Yet Game Boy Micro has the same processing power and plays the same games as Game Boy Advance SP models, complete with standard face controls and gleaming shoulder and Start/Select buttons that literally shine.

So, if we take that sentence as gospel, it says it will play the same games as GBA SP models, which would mean it would play GBC games. Do we know for sure one way or the other?

cvxfreak

Supposedly it doesn't play GBC games.

But that's just plain weird, since it drops the monicker, giving it the sense of playing all the GB games. If Nintendo would scramble over something as cheap as GBC playability, then they're cheapskates IMO.

Jonnyram

CVXFREAK said:
But that's just plain weird, since it drops the monicker, giving it the sense of playing all the GB games. If Nintendo would scramble over something as cheap as GBC playability, then they're cheapskates IMO.
I guess they are considering form factor too. It wouldn't really look great with a GB cart sticking out, and kind of defeats the point of making it so small.

FiRez

Comfort_Eagle said:
Isnt that pretty expensive? Sure its small, but still.

Is the most strong rumor since it has been announced, plus Reggie said it was going to cost more than the GBA SP

FiRez said:
Is the most strong rumor since it has been announced, plus Reggie said it was going to cost more than the GBA SP

When did psycho reggie say this?

And a big fat :( to no GBC playback. That is why I have my SP:)

All we know is that it will be more than the SP but less than the DS. A $99 price point would be good for holidays as people see anything over $100 expensive for the most part.

I see the faceplates and Play Yan going far with this.

And Game Boy Color games would be jutting out the length of the Micro! :lol

FiRez

PhoncipleBone said:
When did psycho reggie say this?

And a big fat :( to no GBC playback. That is why I have my SP:)

I'm just quoting a poster from here that said that, he basically saw an interview of reggie saying that it was going to be more expensive, sorry I need to get some sleep but you can find it in thread of the date launch announcement of the gba micro.
imho I'm shocked that only teddman has some bad impressions of the gba micro, everyone else seems to like the screen and the very tinny size.

polg

with micro being released in around a month in Japan... shouldn't Nintendo release the price? TELL US THE FREAKING PRICE (shakes fist)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
hey guys. if you played a gbc game on it the viewing area would be forefinger nail-sized instead of thumbnail-sized. surely none of you would be that crazy given the chance.

jooey said:
hey guys. if you played a gbc game on it the viewing area would be forefinger nail-sized instead of thumbnail-sized. surely none of you would be that crazy given the chance.

I just played my Game Boy Color and realized how small it was to the DS screens and especially to the PSP's.

I believe the Micro's screen is about that size, right?

Takuan

What the hell, who'd pay $99 for a tiny GBA Advance? That's ludicrous! SPs are pocket-sized as it is, and hella cheap to buy.

Mashing

polg said:
with micro being released in around a month in Japan... shouldn't Nintendo release the price? TELL US THE FREAKING PRICE (shakes fist)

I expect they will at the Games Convention next week.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the net effect of the new portables is that i play portable games a lot less. the ds is an atrocity, the psp is fragile and loads slowly, and i can't stand to look at my sp's screen anymore. i miss the gba days. the micro, with its postage-stamp screen and lack of gb/gbc support, will do nothing to bring them back.

CVXFREAK said:
Supposedly it doesn't play GBC games.

Odd, cuz the Nintendo rep I spoke with said yes when I asked. Hmmm....

Jacobi

Banned
drohne said:
the net effect of the new portables is that i play portable games a lot less. the ds is an atrocity, the psp is fragile and loads slowly, and i can't stand to look at my sp's screen anymore. i miss the gba days. the micro, with its postage-stamp screen and lack of gb/gbc support, will do nothing to bring them back.
I still enjoy the GBA SP days. Why don't you do that too ?

Timen

I'm sure the micro is targeted at 18 to 25 year old gamers and gadget lovers, and will be priced accordingly (I think it will be $100)

ziran

i've heard the european price is going to be €99.99 [£69.99 in the uk].

for reference this is currently the gbasp price, so it may be priced at equivalent, i.e. $79.99.

like people have said it looks like it's going to be $79.99-$99.99.

FiRez

ziran said:
i've heard the european price is going to be €99.99 [£69.99 in the uk].

for reference this is currently the gbasp price, so it may be priced at equivalent, i.e. $79.99.

Do you think that the SP will drop its price?

FiRez

ziran said:
yes, i'm pretty sure.

profit for the sp range has been good for nintendo, i think a price drop is due, anyway.

I hope so too, I'm still undecided between buying an used one or just wait a little more to buy a new SP.
Is more annoying when the old model is dirty cheap.

Teddman

FiRez said:
imho I'm shocked that only teddman has some bad impressions of the gba micro, everyone else seems to like the screen and the very tinny size.
I'm as shocked as you are. I don't know why anyone would want a Micro, more expensive and only marginally more portable than a GBA SP. The Micro's screen is high quality, but it's like a third the size of the SP's, and the shoulder button placement didn't feel especially comfortable. I'd imagine games with a lot of text are going to be rough going on the eyes.
gamewhooper said:
I just played my Game Boy Color and realized how small it was to the DS screens and especially to the PSP's
I believe the Micro's screen is about that size, right?
No, it's like half that size.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
What was that stuff last month about Nintendo inviting European press to some secret Micro-related event? I can't find any thing about it now, I'm sure I'm not imagining it...

Top Bottom