• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk Boy | Review Thread

xrTuxOUY.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: Berserk Boy

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Mar 6, 2024)
  • PC (Mar 6, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: Berserk Boy Games

Publisher: SMG Studio

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 94% recommended

l3D8xT0.png

Metacritic - 81 average based on 5 Critic Reviews

61Ti6Mv.png

Critic Reviews

Console Creatures - David Pietrangelo - Recommended
Berserk Boy merges retro and new-school game design into an entertaining package! The 2D action platformer is fast, wild, and inventive. It's a great way to sink back into a 90s-inspired game that feels familiar and new no matter what you're doing.

Digital Chumps - Will Silberman - 9.3 / 10
I absolutely loved Berserk Boy – enough to want to come back for more thanks to its fast-paced platforming, fluid combat, incredible soundtrack, and nostalgia-bomb of SNES-era gaming. This 2D action-platformer is worth the ride so you can GO BERSERK!!

Final Weapon - Alex Patterson - 4 / 5
Berserk Boy provides a fast-paced and easily replayable experience for those on the lookout for a new side scroller to play. While it doesn't necessarily test the player's skills too much, the core mechanics make the game a joy to play. There's a lot of charm and passion here that ultimately makes Berserk Boy a worthwhile purchase.

GameGrin - Alana Dunitz - 9 / 10
Berserk Boy is a fun and challenging platformer with metroidvania elements and useful abilities that you will use during every stage you play. This is a title that you should check out!

GameLuster - Mateusz Niewierowski - 4 / 10
With elements that clash against each other constantly, Berserk Boy is the sort of experience that seems to never truly find its footing before the player puts the controller down for good.

Gamers Heroes - Casey Scheld - 90 / 100
Berserk Boy's platforming action manages to eclipse its inspiration, leading to an experience that is an absolute must for fans of the genre.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 80 / 100
Berserk Boy bursts onto a crowded market of platformers in a strong flash of inspiration. With its literally game-changing form system, energetic soundtrack, and impactful visual design, it's a game well worth playing to the end. It just doesn't make as strong of an argument for you to stick around after the credits in its current state.

Hey Poor Player - Josh Speer - 5 / 5
It would have been easy for Berserk Boy to be another disappointing modern platformer trying to relive the classics. Instead, indie developer Zu Ehtisham has given us an exceptional adventure full of heart, with complex and enjoyable platforming, fast-paced combat, and lots of replay value. While there are some very minor areas I would have appreciated refinement, this was ultimately an outstanding experience that shouldn’t be missed.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 79 / 100
A game that would have blown away fans of platforming and action 30 years ago and remarkable entertainment even by today's standards. The difficulty curve could be worked on a bit more.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 80 / 100
Berserk Boy wears its inspiration loud and proud; our main character Kei even has afterimages from dashing similar to the Mega Man Zero/ZX series. True, it has some audio issues and requires you to play it to perfection for the best outcome, but that's the norm for these kinds of retro-styled titles that try their best to cater towards hardcore platformer audiences.

And for a game of this calibre to be made by one solo developer? That is a helluva achievement. If you need a speedy 2D platforming challenge with a nifty Mega Man-inspired soundtrack (and suit-changing gameplay), Berserk Boy will sort you out.

LadiesGamers.com - James Luff - Liked-a-lot
Berserk Boy is slick and stylish platforming action. Considering a solo developer made this, this is an impressive achievement. It may take many pieces of inspiration from the retro greats, but it all comes together to make a great adventure.

For me it fell a little short with meaty health boss fights and its slow paced hunting the enemy segments. But when exploring and taking in the core levels I was having a blast. An addictive soundtrack and detailed pixel art style further helped this. I easily recommend Berserk Boy to any action-adventure fan, modern or retro. If Berserk Boy ever did want to venture into the realm of Saturday morning cartoons, I’d probably watch it.

Nintendo Life - Tom Massey - 8 / 10
Its very reasonable price tag isn't the main selling point of Berserk Boy. Rather, it's a very competently made indie action adventure that has the feel of a 16-bit title, powered by the oomph of current-day consoles. It's far more arcadey than both Mega Man and Gunvolt; faster, and altogether more interesting owing to its multiple character forms and deft stage design. Its hub world is easily navigable, and the upgrade shop, Metroidvania backtracking, and prisoner liberating side-missions encourage players to squeeze the most from the experience. There are minor, trivial aspects that could have been tightened up slightly, and the independent development aspect isn't entirely in the background. For what it attempts, however, Berserk Boy is very successful, regularly showing up larger development studios with its creativity, and comes easy to recommend to 2D action enthusiasts.

NookGaming - Rob MacIntosh - 7 / 10
Berserk Boy is a generally fun little retro-style indie action-platformer. The game is especially rewarding to play quickly due to how well-made its lightning power is. Alas, it peaks somewhat early and has its cracks. Several ideas after the first few sets of levels don’t build much upon the game’s solid foundation, which felt more like a missed opportunity. The game is presented well but doesn’t do a lot to truly stand out among its retro-style indie action-platformer peers in either novelty or consistency. Still, the fun mechanics it does have coupled with its solid soundtrack and visuals enabled me to get past some of its weaker aspects and enjoy my playthrough plenty enough.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Kaan Serin - Unscored
Berserk Boy is a dashing action platformer that borrows from the greats, and builds frantic, ever-changing movesets on top.

The Games Machine - Nicholas Mercurio - Italian - 9 / 10
Berserk Boy is a splendid and substantial work, with a brilliant and lively game design, powerful and direct, capable of impressing and offering an immersive experience. To be had and propagated with joy, since this production is destined to be a yardstick.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5
Berserk Boy is a great modern take on Mega Man style gameplay and one of the better recent attempts to bring the 16-bit era into the 2020s. Its story is lacking somewhat but it's got it where it matters, with solid platforming and satisfying combat.

VGamingNews - Drew Sherratt - 7 / 10
Berserk Boy is a beautiful homage to the 2D games of yesteryear, offering lightning-paced platforming that’s an absolute blast. With stunning environments and wonderful, anime-inspired pixel art characters, the visuals are to die for - as is the top-tier, turbo shredding soundtrack. A lean towards being slightly too easy, along with some level design oversights late-game keep it from being a classic, but Berserk Boy certainly offers a fun experience. I hope this is just the inaugural entry in a great new series of 2D platformers - it certainly has the potential.

WhatIfGaming - Ali Hashmi - 8 / 10
Berserk Boy is a love letter to Mega Man X, and there's a lot to like here. Its fast-paced combat and movement system thanks to the Berserk Orbs keeps things fresh, and great animation work sells each dash and bash. Some uneven elements of the presentation aside, Berserk Boy is worth your time if you're a fan of 2D action platformers.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Last year we got a lot of good games.

This year we are just getting nothing but insanely good games. The quality output in Q1 is nuts, and here’s another title.

Skeptical

Neo Member
I've had my eye on this one for awhile, glad to see that the reviews seem to confirm it is as good as it looks. I've still got quite a few Mega Man clones on my list of games to buy, but this one might shoot straight to the top. It just looks so fluid.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This does look really good, though I am hoping for a PS5 release in the near future. In any case, though, I'm glad it turned out and will definitely grab it at some point.

StevieWhite

I used to work for this game's initial publisher (there was a whole dispute and they officially left at some point after I left). In any event, I got to play the game a good bit in its early phases, and the reviews seem to track with my general experience. Hope it turned out well.

Top Bottom