• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MVG] Portal on the Nintendo 64 is incredible!

John Bilbo

Episode 2 Wow GIF by UFC

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Curious fact.

The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time, was ahead of its time, and they were going to implement a system similar to Portal

Here I talk about how I optimized the game, the challenges with rumble pak, and translations

skit_data

This is pretty damn impressive, I wish I had the knowledge to have a grasp on exactly how much work has been put into it. Must take quite a lot of clever tinkering of pretty much everything?

CamHostage

Love seeing just how far old hardware can be pushed. It's like getting a view into an alternate timeline.

Also, if this guy can pull this off on an N64, where are the mind-blowing new gameplay possibilities the exponentially more-powerful current-gen systems can provide?

It's not really a matter of horsepower that ever allowed Portal to exist though.

Mind-blowing gameplay possibilities mostly come from mind-blowing game designers making stuff they envision before it's ever put into a computer, high-powered or otherwise.

(It does however take some complicated camera and perspective techniques which benefits from having powerful computers and fast data to help realize it and work with it to make a fun game of the tech; I'm not sure how the planned Zelda would have worked completely or what limitations it would have dealt with even though they did get it prototyped, but I could see it being a lot harder to work with even after they got the base two-levels-connected-by-portal concept prototyped. This Portal demake benefits a lot from the tech being worked out already on other machines, allowing the designer to work backwards from an understanding of the technique to reconceive it on the lesser hardware.)

Even if a game used exponentially more powerful hardware for mind-blowing gameplay possibilities, would people notice? Gamers are mostly hung up in AAA production values (where the exponentially more powerful hardware gets used, on mind-blowing gameplay or otherwise,) there's indie and off-beat stuff out there which has really cool experimentations with tech yet it goes unnoticed often if there's not stars or brands or a big marketing push. LEGO Builder's Journey has some very advanced lighting systems, but it looks like a phone game. Teardown has some phenomenal simulation systems, but it looks like Minecraft. Superliminal is a fascinating combo of physics and angle manipulation to build mind-bending puzzles, but it can port down to Switch. Dreams and Crayta and Fortnite Create and other game-makers are phenomenally, unfathomably flexible realtime game making apps, but most of the games made using any of those apps tend to end up resembling bad copies of other games we're familiar with.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It's not really a matter of horsepower that ever allowed Portal to exist though. (

Mind-blowing gameplay possibilities mostly come from mind-blowing game designers making stuff they envision before it's ever put into a computer, high-powered or otherwise.

(It does however take some complicated camera and perspective techniques which benefits from having powerful computers and fast data to help realize it and work with it to make a fun game of the tech; I'm not sure how the planned Zelda would have worked completely or what limitations it would have dealt with even though they did get it prototyped, but I could see it being a lot harder to work with even after they got the base two-levels-connected-by-portal concept prototyped. This Portal demake benefits a lot from the tech being worked out already on other machines, allowing the designer to understand the technique and reconceive it on the lesser hardware.)

Even if a game used exponentially more powerful hardware for mind-blowing gameplay possibilities, would people notice? Gamers are mostly hung up in AAA production values (where the exponentially more powerful hardware gets used, on mind-blowing gameplay or otherwise,) there's indie and off-beat stuff out there which has really cool experimentations with tech yet it goes unnoticed often if there's not stars or brands or a big marketing push. LEGO Builder's Journey has some very advanced lighting systems, but it looks like a phone game. Teardown has some phenomenal simulation systems, but it looks like Minecraft. Superliminal is a fascinating combo of physics and angle manipulation to build mind-bending puzzles, but it can port down to Switch. Dreams and Crayta and Fortnite Create and other game-makers and phenomenally flexible realtime game making apps, but most of the games made using any of those apps tend to end up resembling bad copies of other games we're familiar with.
Ah, I forgot about Superliminal. It's probably the closest to mind-blowing I've seen in the past few years. Really inventive and well-executed.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
It makes you think how many truly groundbreaking games each generation of console misses out on because coders never truly get to know what the hardware is capable of before commercial obscelesence kicks in.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
For a second there I thought they hacked the ps portal to play N64 games already....

nkarafo

I wish he ported it to the Dreamcast instead

Why? A demake becomes more interesting as the target platform gets less powerful. That's the point of demakes. To see how a much less powerful system is pushed to handle a more modern game.

A Dreamcast port would be a bit easier to make and look a bit closer to the original. But where's the fun in that? The N64 has many more obstacles and bottlenecks that make such port a much more difficult task so if he can pull it off (which looks like he can) the end result will be a much more impressive achievement.

RAIDEN1

I would like to see just how much of a task would it have been for the Dreamcast to have Metal Gear Solid 2 from 2001

//DEVIL//

I didnt play portal wih full path ray tracing, sure as fuck not gonna play it a Nintendo 64. ( There was no controller support last time I checked and I do not know how to play with keyboard and mouse that accurate. and no I do not want to learn at 42 thank you )

nkarafo

Fuck this industry.

Ok, I don't understand what's the issue here. It appears Valve is afraid of Nintendo, but why? The mod is not on STEAM. Nintendo can't do anything to Valve if they don't host it. It's a similar situation with Dolphin, VALVE refused to host it for the same reasons but the emulator still exists outside STEAM. So why did VALVE ask James to take the project down completely? I don't get it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom