• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 4 |OT| Twilight Princess Returns

Great finale, what with the insane battle and hectic story. I guess we can now assume that Discord is confirmed to be on the good side. My only gripe were those rainbow power ups. I do not at all like those designs. It's like the mane 6 started a rock band or to be accurate, a way OTT design of

The_Cutie_Mark_Crusaders_waiting_for_the_audience%27s_reaction_S01E18.png

At least these looked decent.

Oh and Tirek is now my favorite villain, second being Chrysallis.

Btw, Hotdiggledydemon predicted it in a way.

McNum

It's a little sad they weren't allowed to have Twilight punch Tirek in the face. Because if there's any face in the show that needed a good solid punch, it's Tirek's. Ah, well, we got a DBZ fight out of it and that was pretty awesome.

Also:
I spy, with my little eye, a move totally stolen from Goku. Nice Warp Kamehameha, Twilight, but a bit more power on the blast next time, hm?

My only gripe were those rainbow power ups. I do not at all like those designs. It's like the mane 6 started a rock band or to be accurate, a way OTT design of

Blame the Hasbro marketing department for that one, that's what the toys look like. On that note Dash seemed to be only one with the SSJ3 treatment while the others went a bit too far with the hair dye,

Sciz

Alright, caught up with the last several episodes. Assorted thoughts:

-That was a good run to end the season on. Some better than others, but I didn't come away from any of them feeling unsatisfied, which is a good step up for a series that seemed like it was starting to succumb to pacing issues and recycled plots more and more. Even Polsky turned in a pretty decent script.

-The continuity nods felt much more natural than they had been, too. That sort of thing is fine when it flows into the script and makes sense in context, and a lot less so when the reference is itself the punchline.

-It is, however, growing ever more obvious when there's a new toy to push. Merch driven series and all, but there's no way the show staff came up with those rainbow designs.

-Magic being transferable is... interesting. I'm going to assume that's an alicorn thing because it retroactively makes MMC make more sense.

-On a related note, wavy astral mane. Can we keep that? Please? I'm sure they're a pain to animate, but it completes the princess look.

-For all the time they spent in the old castle this season, nothing substantial came of the castle itself other than a sentient tome of dark magic (whose spirit is presumably still roaming the countryside, for those keeping tabs on loose ends). Did a ruined castle toyset get canned or something?

-Tirek's going to be a hard act to follow. Dangerous ability, dangerous partner, and he acquired a staggering amount of raw magical might by the end. And all that was still secondary to the rainbow friendship beam, which I'm pretty sure they can do on command now. Plus Discord's not going to pull a face-heel turn again. The next big bad's got his work cut out for him.

re: Canon: The show's writers are clearly trying to keep track of what's actually in the show, and nothing else. The comics can be fun too, but that sort of thing always amounts to officially licensed fanfiction, with the best case being that particularly popular elements migrate back into the main branch of the franchise. These things are on completely different production cycles anyway.

re: The Princesses Who Don't Do Anything: The simplest explanation is that there's little to suggest that they're exceptionally powerful in the three mundane forms of pony magic. Even a millennium of experience only goes so far.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
re: Canon: The show's writers are clearly trying to keep track of what's actually in the show, and nothing else. The comics can be fun too, but that sort of thing always amounts to officially licensed fanfiction, with the best case being that particularly popular elements migrate back into the main branch of the franchise. These things are

They're canon till the show says otherwise. I don't know why people want to dismiss the comics and pretend they don't count.

re: The Princesses Who Don't Do Anything: The simplest explanation is that there's little to suggest that they're exceptionally powerful in the three mundane forms of pony magic. Even a millennium of experience only goes so far.

Celestia and Luna defeated three major villains. Tirek, Discord and Sombra in the past. Celestia also dealt with the peace of the realm on her own for a thousand years.

$200

Banned
They're canon till the show says otherwise.

Why...? Like Sciz said they don't go through the same production cycle. Do you consider the books, merchandises and that mobile game as canon until proven otherwise too?

I don't know why people want to dismiss the comics and pretend they don't count.

It's a lot easier to dismiss them as non-canon than believing Rainbow Dash had struggled to fight two imps living on cloud while monologued like a literature student.

WHAT. THE. FUCK?! The hell happened to this show? Is this DBZ crap something they've been building up to or did this just pop up out of nowhere.....either way this makes me want to catch up....
lol same here...
I stopped watching the show after season 2, this is making me want to see what's going on.

. Do you consider the books, merchandises and that mobile game as canon until proven otherwise too?

The canon already proves the mobile game is non-canon, considering the storyline revolves around Nightmare Moon's return at the beginning of the series.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Why...? Like Sciz said they don't go through the same production cycle. Do you consider the books, merchandises and that mobile game as canon until proven otherwise too?

gTkwsmf.png

Deal with it people.

They go through pretty much the same production cycle as the show. They go up the chain and ultimately get approved by Hasbro, just like the show. They even work with the show runners. The original Rarity micro story was rejected for being too close to an upcoming episode (never revealed which one).

$200

Banned
gTkwsmf.png

Deal with it people.

They go through pretty much the same production cycle as the show. They go up the chain and ultimately get approved by Hasbro, just like the show. They even work with the show runners. The original Rarity micro story was rejected for being too close to an upcoming episode (never revealed which one).

Hasbro would probably say the toys are canon too >_>

But anyway no real point debating this further.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's a lot easier to dismiss them as non-canon than believing Rainbow Dash had struggled to fight two imps living on cloud while monologued like a literature student.

There are good and bad comics, just like there are good and bad episodes. I'd say the comics have been far more hit than miss though.

McNum

gTkwsmf.png

Deal with it people.

"Until the show says otherwise".

Yup. We agree completely. Show trumps Comic in all cases. Just like how Star Wars used to run. The EU was canon until a movie said it wasn't (and now Disney says it's all not canon.). So if the show, in any case, no matter how minor, contradicts a comic story, the comic story falls away. Even Equestria Girls trumps the comics since that is at least mostly part of the show. The comics are fun side stories that may or may not have happened until contradicted by the show.

Sciz

They're canon till the show says otherwise. I don't know why people want to dismiss the comics and pretend they don't count.

"Canon until contradicted" is marketing nonsense. An upcoming season's worth of scripts is in the can well before any comics coming out at the same time are even in production, which is how they can make sure the comic isn't stepping on the show's toes. It doesn't go the other way around, and consequently none of the events or character development of the comics will ever be reflected in animation. That is the definition of not counting.

Celestia and Luna defeated three major villains. Tirek, Discord and Sombra in the past. Celestia also dealt with the peace of the realm on her own for a thousand years.

Scorpan betrayed Tirek quickly, before he executed his plan to steal magic, and Discord required the Elements. Sombra's the only unambiguous defeat, although he seems to have just stood there and taken a laser to the face if the flashback is accurate.

As for Celestia's thousand year reign of peace, we're going to have to see that anything serious actually happened before that holds water.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
"Canon until contradicted" is marketing nonsense. An upcoming season's worth of scripts is in the can well before any comics coming out at the same time are even in production, which is how they can make sure the comic isn't stepping on the show's toes. It doesn't go the other way around, and consequently none of the events or character development of the comics will ever be reflected in animation. That is the definition of not counting.

No, that's the definition of not wanting to pay the comic folks to use their stuff in the show.

As for Celestia's thousand year reign of peace, we're going to have to see that anything serious actually happened before that holds water.

I would say the comics show things that did happen in the thousand years, but you'd just blow that off since you don't like it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I guarantee Hasbro owns the rights to all licensed works.

Still doesn't stop them from having to pay the people who created it. And it might not be the issue for them to do so. I would love to see a few of the comics made into episodes.

Look at Star Trek. They outright stole a character from TNG to be a main character on Voyager. Even used the same actor. They changed his name and slightly altered his backstory so they would not have to pay royalties to the writers of that TNG episode.

Same reason some G1 MLP characters can't be used in the new show.

Sciz

Still doesn't stop them from having to pay the people who created it. And it might not be the issue for them to do so. I would love to see a few of the comics made into episodes.

Look at Star Trek. They outright stole a character from TNG to be a main character on Voyager. Even used the same actor. They changed his name and slightly altered his backstory so they would not have to pay royalties to the writers of that TNG episode.

Same reason some G1 MLP characters can't be used in the new show.

The comics industry is a lot sketchier about royalties, since they're not unionized the way TV and film is. I don't know what sort of contracts IDW draws up, but my initial assumption would be that creators can only expect royalties for reprints, and that only if they're breaking certain sales thresholds.

McNum

Um, what? The reason we don't have Firefly in the show is because Hasbro forgot to keep the trademark up to date. Only one they had left of the G1 main ponies were Applejack. Which you'll notice, we do have one of. And Spike, but he's a dragon. Also, I think his full trademark name is "Spike the Dragon". Likewise, we don't have Posey, we have Fluttershy. And Twilight got a Sparkle added for trademarking purposes.

Most creative works like these are done under contract. Meaning Hasbro owns everything. Names, script, designs, and the staff get paid for making them with no royalties attached. That's like 99% of all film, TV, and video games. I assure you, there's no such thing as royalties when doing comics for hire, unless you're just that good that your name itself can sell books. Then you get paid for the use of your name... or the company just decides to unperson you from the story and you get nothing.

See also: Disney and Don Rosa everywhere but Scandinavia. His name sells, but he went and trademarked his own name and Disney didn't want to pay him for it. So, his stories were suddenly published with no name attached. Because Disney can do that since all duck books are made for hire. Except for Egmont who publishes the duck stories in Scandinavia. They DID license Don Rosa name and signature for promotional purposes in the comic.

Basically, creative works are a dirty business with very lopsided contracts. Add trademark law to that and it becomes a nightmare to navigate. But if Hasbro wanted to basically adapt a full comic story to a show episode, they can, no problem there. Because they own everything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
By the very episodic nature of the show, expecting things to be relevant across mediums isn't really needed. Few episodes in the show have any bearing on future episodes. Most episodes exist in their own bubble, as do the comics.

Out of curiosity, what do some of you have against the comics? Someone mentioned the RD Micro, and yeah it is one of the weakest ones so far. But what about the really good ones. Like the Chrysalis arc, or the Cadance and SA story? What about the really good micros like the Rarity, Pinkie, Celestia and Luna ones? Outside of the first one, the new Friends Forever series has been good, especially the Celestia/Spike one.

$200

Banned
Out of curiosity, what do some of you have against the comics? Someone mentioned the RD Micro, and yeah it is one of the weakest ones so far. But what about the really good ones. Like the Chrysalis arc, or the Cadance and SA story? What about the really good micros like the Rarity, Pinkie, Celestia and Luna ones? Outside of the first one, the new Friends Forever series has been good, especially the Celestia/Spike one.

Nothing against comic otherwise I wouldn't have bought all of them (except FF1, which Myke warned was beyond poor) although I don't enjoy them nearly as much as you and Orca do. I just don't consider them canon since the writers styles vary too frequently, filled with pop culture gags and the ponies often don't act like they do in the show.

McNum

By the very episodic nature of the show, expecting things to be relevant across mediums isn't really needed. Few episodes in the show have any bearing on future episodes. Most episodes exist in their own bubble, as do the comics.

Nothing against the comics, as such. Read a few, they're nice. The Luna one was amusing. But I treat them as side stories. It's the insisting that the comic canon overrides the show that's annoying. You'd think, for instance, that the whole Nightmare Rarity thing would have come up in some way in the show, but not a word about it. We even got a story with very similar traits in Inspiration Manifestation, only with no Elements of Harmony involved. Heck, the show even hints that Nightmare Moon was all Luna with not outside interference involved. If that's so, then the Nightmare Rarity arc didn't happen in the show story.

So, I treat the comics as side stories that may have happened, but can be safely ignored in favor of just watching the show. If something from the comics comes up as important, the show will catch people up on it, anyway. And if it doesn't come up, it probably wasn't important enough anyway.

$200

Banned
Nothing against the comics, as such. Read a few, they're nice. The Luna one was amusing. But I treat them as side stories. It's the insisting that the comic canon overrides the show that's annoying. You'd think, for instance, that the whole Nightmare Rarity thing would have come up in some way in the show, but not a word about it. We even got a story with very similar traits in Inspiration Manifestation, only with no Elements of Harmony involved. Heck, the show even hints that Nightmare Moon was all Luna with not outside interference involved. If that's so, then the Nightmare Rarity arc didn't happen in the show story.

I don't like the Nightmare Rarity one as it implies Luna turned into NMM under external influences (a group of smoke-shaped joke monsters...sigh) because of course the perfect Luna can do no wrong.

So is this show done with after Season 5, or is there a chance it continues on? I need to know when my kid is going to lose her shit over no new MLP episodes.

Sciz

Missed this edit:

I would say the comics show things that did happen in the thousand years, but you'd just blow that off since you don't like it.

I'm not up on the last few months of issues, but the only thing that comes to mind is Celestia's micro where she's struggling to hold a moderate defensive bubble for more than a minute, which I'll admit I forgot about.

The series is still episodic, but as of season 4 it's also leaning much more heavily on established continuity and character relationships. Callbacks to prior episodes are forming the basis for everything from incidental conversations up to entire new episodes. And yet we'll never hear a word of a Big Thing like the time the Nightmare returned, possessed Rarity, and everyone took a field trip to the moon. (edit: dammit McNum)

The comics are fun, with the Cook/Price issues in particular being very well done. But they're not relevant to the rest of the franchise. And they don't have to be and don't need to be and that doesn't diminish their enjoyability any.

McNum

So is this show done with after Season 5, or is there a chance it continues on? I need to know when my kid is going to lose her shit over no new MLP episodes.
A sixth season is also coming, unless something goes wrong. No word on a seventh season, but we'd be talking 2017 for that, anyway.

So, don't worry, there's over 26 more episodes coming. Maybe 52.

I do wonder what they'll do for 100. Apparently Friendship is Magic will be the first Hasbro cartoon to go three digit.

A sixth season is also coming, unless something goes wrong. No word on a seventh season, but we'd be talking 2017 for that, anyway.

So, don't worry, there's over 26 more episodes coming. Maybe 52.

I do wonder what they'll do for 100. Apparently Friendship is Magic will be the first Hasbro cartoon to go three digit.

Awesome.

Regarding 100 episodes, the original Transformers series was really friggin' close, 98 total.

Hasbro announced additional 5 years in planning to investors in Feb. Note this means at least 5 years of G4, but not necessarily 5 years of episodes.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/02/hasbro-investor-webcast-information-eqg.html

But MLP:FIM is pretty much the flagship show for the Hub Network, right? They've got other properties that have done well (Transformers: Prime), but they've also had failures (G.I. Joe: Renegades). I would have to think they'll keep moving forward with MLP so long as the numbers are good.

That link mentions "EqG" in theaters. Is that the existing Equestria Girls movie, or a new one?

$200

Banned
But MLP:FIM is pretty much the flagship show for the Hub Network, right? They've got other properties that have done well (Transformers: Prime), but they've also had failures (G.I. Joe: Renegades). I would have to think they'll keep moving forward with MLP so long as the numbers are good.

Pretty much, here is Hub's list of top rated shows from last week (no.1 is Equestria Games episode) and it has been like this week in week out for quite a while.

Capture.PNG

....and we all know that number is small compared to the actually number of views around the world.

That link mentions "EqG" in theaters. Is that the existing Equestria Girls movie, or a new one?

New one.

Orcastar

Hasbro would probably say the toys are canon too >_>
Funny you should say that!
If these two actually show up in the show, then I'm done.
I don't like the Nightmare Rarity one as it implies Luna turned into NMM under external influences (a group of smoke-shaped joke monsters...sigh) because of course the perfect Luna can do no wrong.
I completely agree, the Nightmare Rarity arc was stupid.

I like some of the comics a lot, mainly the ones from Cook and Price, but a lot of rest of them are just mediocre and some are plain terrible. I'm not gonna consider them canon until the show makes a reference to something that happened in the comics, which is never gonna happen.

As I recall, Lauren Faust did say Luna's corruption was partly due to outside influences.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wasn't a fan of the Nightmarity arc either, just didn't feel like much else than a way to try and absolve Luna of responsibility for her actions. Admittedly there are episodes I wish didn't exist. But they are what they are. There were some good moments in the Mightmarity arc though.. Nightmare Rarity herself had a great design, and the bit with Spike's dream was excellent.

FQctmjL.png

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

I think the last sentence is the most important one. Go enjoy (buy) some comics about horsies.

Why would any employee of Hasbro say that the comics weren't canon? Why risk sales of the comic?

Also I'd make a sarcastic remark about constructing entire continuity lines based on a quelling Tweet, but this isn't the first time this fandom has done that.

Just finished watching. SO glad I waited for the iTunes download (legit purchased copy FYI) Just awesome all around. Love seeing those DBZ fight gifs wouldn't surprise me if someone finds a way to edit it with proper music and sound effects.

If I had to complain was closing song was kinda meh, and I was kinda hoping it would turn out that Discord was merely playing Tirek, but it makes sense to put Discord through his first temptation to relapse. Glad things worked out for him in the end too.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Shall we rank the season's best songs? Here is my top 10:

1 - Hearts Strong as Horses (from "Flight to the Finish")
2 - The Super Duper Party Pony + Cheese Confesses (from "Pinkie Pride")
3 - Apples to the Core (from "Pinkie Apple Pie")
4 - Pinkie the Party Planner (from "Pinkie Pride")
5 - Pinkie's Lament (from "Pinkie Pride")
6 - The Goof Off (from "Pinkie Pride")
7 - Glass of Water (from "Three's a Crowd")
8 - You'll Play your Part (from "Twilight's Kingdom part 1")
9 - Bats (from "Bats!")
10 - Find the Music in You (from "Filli Vanilli")

So many great ones in this season, it was a toughie.

Village

I wasn't a fan of the Nightmarity arc either, just didn't feel like much else than a way to try and absolve Luna of responsibility for her actions. Admittedly there are episodes I wish didn't exist. But they are what they are. There were some good moments in the Mightmarity arc though.. Nightmare Rarity herself had a great design, and the bit with Spike's dream was excellent.

Whats even more dumb, because at the begging of season 4 , they default back like " oh no she was just angry , it was all here then Celestia used the power of the chaos emeralds elements of harmony and sent here to the moon.

The comic was all like " hey look maybe its a spirit that can manifest into other people and... "

and the the show was like " why would you do that that's dumb, lets reiterate the canon for you "

McNum

I like that Nightmare Moon is all Luna, though. The pony psyche has time and time again been shown to be rather... fragile. And considering how much damage Twilight can do when she has an incident, imagine just what Luna could do. Bottled up jealousy and rage and then *SNAP* "I AM NIGHTMARE MOON!"

It makes all the characters a bit more interesting as well, as knowing that the pleasant pastel ponies' pshyces can break that much makes it worrying when a characters starts to slip a bit. Like Pinkie in Party of One. That started out funny and then it turned.. not. Or Twilight in Lesson Zero. I mean, Twilight gives GOOD crazy, but still... it stops being all visual gas after a while.

Honestly, if a villain wanted to be a threat to Equestria, that whole big magic and flashy effects route is not the way to go. You just get blasted in the face with a rainbow if you do. Go for the psyches instead. Discord had it mostly right.

PaulloDEC

9 - Bats (from "Bats!")

Hmm, let's see.

Top Tier
• Apples to the Core
• You'll Play Your Part
• Hearts as Strong as Horses

Still Pretty High Tier
• Pinkie the Party Planner
• Make a Wish
• Pinkie's Lament
• The Goof Off
• Every other song from "Pinkie Pride"

Good Tier
• Find the Music in You/Music in the Treetops
• Bats
• The Rappin' History of the Wonderbolts

Flatline Tier
• Let the Rainbow Remind You
• Generosity
• Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic

I think that's all of them. By "Flatline" I just mean they had no effect on me, not that I necessarily thought they were bad.

I like that Nightmare Moon is all Luna, though. The pony psyche has time and time again been shown to be rather... fragile. And considering how much damage Twilight can do when she has an incident, imagine just what Luna could do. Bottled up jealousy and rage and then *SNAP* "I AM NIGHTMARE MOON!"

Yup, Luna's story is a hell of a lot more interesting if Nightmare Moon was something born from entirely from within herself, as opposed to an outside influence. As is always the case, it's the flaws in the characters that make them interesting.

I spy, with my little eye, a move totally stolen from Goku. Nice Warp Kamehameha, Twilight, but a bit more power on the blast next time, hm?

I love the fact that they've turned teleporting into a thing with Twilight as the series has gone on, to the point where she was unexpectedly utilizing it during the battle. It feels like something they've slowly built up all this time, and the payoff is getting better and better.

9 - Bats (from "Bats!")

Man, Pinkie Pride was loaded with some awesome songs. Having Weird Al guest-star really helped too.

I'll just do a top five with some notes:

1. Apples to the Core (from "Pinkie Apple Pie")

> My song of the season, hands (hooves?) down. It was catchy, Applejack's singing was great and while I was hoping for a Big Mac part, the song was great enough. There's also a remix by SimGretina which is pretty awesome.

2. Hearts Strong as Horses (from "Flight to the Finish")

> I really feel that this may be one of the best Crusader songs in the show. It definitely was way better than the pop-like Babs Seed, and Scootaloo finally had the reins in this one, and in a way, it shows her development from the Cutie Mark Crusaders theme - no more awful singing from Scoots! Also has the honor of being one of my favorite remixed songs from Season 4 (referring to "We've Got Hearts" by TAPS).

3. Pinkie's Lament (from "Pinkie Pride")

> Probably the one song this season that filled me with sadness. How do you come to grips with the fact that someone out there is better than you at your life's work? Awful stuff, indeed. Of course, with it being a Pinkie song, the mood would eventually brighten up, Pinkie gets in gear and then we're treated to...

4. The Goof Off (from "Pinkie Pride")

> So now Pinkie Pie tries to beat Weird Al at his own game - speedy, crazy, funny, silly polka music! Or staying in-universe, trying to beat Cheese Sandwich out as being the looniest pony around. Lots of wacky songs here and there, but the moment that really made me laugh was Cheese Sandwich ripping off the Smile Song, and real-life Gummy. Pretty crazy. Good medley, indeed.

5. Bats (from "Bats!")

> I know most folks apparently didn't like Bats that much, but it was pretty cool. The song was a nice little duel between animal lover Fluttershy and ticked-off farmer Applejack. I almost find it funny how no one ever seems to listen to reason with Fluttershy - of course, she was hounded by the rest of the Mane 6 throughout the song, eventually BECAME the enemy, and apparently is still part bat... how will that be resolved? Also, there's another cool remix of it by The Living Tombstone.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
A single bit from the upcoming part 3 comic for the Mirror arc. Lets all imagine that someone at IDW read this thread and changed this at the last second just for us.

FAvJb89.jpg

McNum

You know, something else just hit me about the whole Tirek fight.

From when Twilight got all the Alicorn magic and until the library was destroyed, she had trouble controlling all the power. Even basic things like opening a door or flying got supercharged and destructive. She even overshot her mark when flying by Tirek in the start before teleporting back home. But when Tirek blows up the library and she realizes what he just did, she suddenly has no problem controlling the power of four Alicorns. Because thanks to her rage, she doesn't even try to hold back. Collateral damage or injury to Tirek be damned, Twilight is in full on rage-mode there.

So, basically, Twilight tried to kill Tirek. Not just defeat or capture. Kill. If Tirek had been just a little weaker, he'd be dead. Outright killed by Twilight who is not just no longer holding back, but actually giving the magic blasts her all, and then some, due to her rage at Tirek.

Equestria's newest princess has quite the mean streak. Not that Tirek didn't deserve it, but still. Raging Twilight is hardcore.

Top Bottom