• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Top 100 Games

Saw the other so I thought this would be fun. My list is conducted out of the 225 games I've played. A bunch of these I can barely remember so if you question some placement then that's why.

dontdisturb3.jpg

100. Don't Disturb
One of the most recent games I played in the past year. It's a simple adventure game that looks like Okami. That's relatively short. It can be beaten in about 20 minutes, 10 on a second playthrough. Shortest game I ever played.

medium

99. Tekken
My first 3D fighter and still pretty much the only one I play to this day. It's hard to go back to the first Tekken, but I still have to recognize it for it being my starting point to a franchise I've stuck with ever since.

mirrors_edge_scr002_84517388.jpg

98. Mirror's Edge
I thought this looked cool and I rented this from Gamefly with a free trial. The game impressed me because it felt like a first-person Prince of Persia game. The game would've been a 7 or 8 for me if the gunplay was better or removed and if the level design was just a tad bit better.

soulcalibur33_display.jpg

97. Soul Calibur III
Some changes in characters movesets irked me and the gameplay I feel is worse than II's, but it's still fun.

96. Final Fantasy: Crystal Defenders
Got this from someone else's PSN account. It's a tower defense game and it's pretty hard.

wpb_6793.png

95. Winnie the Pooh's Home Run Derby
Thank you GAF for introducing me to this. I don't know how y'all found out about it, but this is an addicting little game. It's simplistic and surprisingly challenging. I still don't have a real mouse at the moment and I'm blaming that for my lack of ability to beat this game.

tiny-toons-wild-and-wacky-sports-07.png

94. Tiny Toons Wacky Sports Challenge
A decent licensed sports game. I haven't played the shit in I don't know how long.

51b38053cf84a.png

93. Super Double Dragon
The only Double Dragon game I've played. Haven't touched this in years.

6.jpg

92. E.O.E.

gas-sturm1.png

91. Advance Wars
My first strategy game. I tried to beat this game for three years, but never could. On my last try I finally made it to Sturm, but I faced impossible odds with my team of Andy, Sami, and Grit. Will I ever get to see the end credits?

90. Super Smash Bros

Bloody-Roar-2-Full-Version-Portable__.jpg

89. Bloody Roar II

super-dodge-ball-virtual-console-20080922063955940.jpg

88. Super Dodgeball

12734.jpg

87. Street Fighter II Turbo

sfa2.png

86. Street Fighter Alpha 2

screen10.jpg

85. Pokemon Blue
Was the shit in 98. Pokemon was everywhere. The anime, toys, games. It was pretty much the only game I had for my Gameboy Color and I played the hell out of it.

912.png

84. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

363144.jpg

83. Dead Nation

Super_Mario.png

82. Super Mario World

130410_review_guacamelee_statue.jpg

81. Guacamelee

portalInPortal_valve.jpg

80. Portal

pop4.jpg

79. Prince of Persia the Sands of Time

God-of-War-12.jpg

78. God of War

def_jam_fight_for_ny_003.jpg

77. Def Jam Fight for New York

the-best-xbox-co-op-games-20040803053940886-000.jpg

76. Street Hoops

5c8ee8ea7e4048058abf1e2138b.jpg

75. Dino Crisis 2

66294-Prince_Of_Persia_The_Two_Thrones-9.jpg

74. Prince of Persia The Two Thrones

CastleCrashers_gameplay.png

73. Castle Crashers

14955-Marvel_Vs._Capcom:_Clash_of_Super_Heroes_(USA_980123)-10.png

72. Marvel vs Capcom

fortress_w7_allstar.jpg

71. Super Mario Bros. 3

God+of+War+2+Screenshot+2.jpg

70. God of War II

super-mario-kart-02.png

69. Super Mario Kart

screen_3.jpg

68. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Uncharted3_FeaturedImage_vf2.jpg

67. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

resident_evil_3_nemesis_3.jpg

66. Resident Evil 3

150679-Metal_Gear_Solid_2_-_Sons_of_Liberty_(USA)-5.jpg

65. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

monsters_01.jpg

64. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

Dragon's_Crown.jpg

63. Dragon's Crown

nba-jam-on-fire-edition-20110913091451818-000.jpg

62. NBA Jam: On Fire Edition

01-620x.jpg

61. Catherine
I really liked some things about this game. It has incredible presentation with setting it up like a show or movie, the anime cutscenes, and it's odd macabre aesthetic. There aren't many games where I enjoy interacting with NPCs as much as this game. Each character has a distinct personality and story to tell. When it's time to do puzzles, I have to say I am a bit disappointed because I suck at them so much. I set the game on Normal for the first three levels, but changed to Easy after that and even on Easy I was still getting stuck and way too long for my patience. Yeah, I'm pretty bad at this game. I ended just wishing I could skip them so I could get back to the story and bar.Throughout the game you'll have dialogue options which will affect a morality meter. With this being my first playthrough I wanted to try and answer each of these honestly, but at times I do admit I wanted to lean towards what I thought would be the bad options. Ultimately, I ended up with what I think is supposed to be a semi bad ending. The game's story ended getting a little more crazy than I thought and I felt the last segment of the game went on too long. If I was designing this I would have either ended it
when Vincent and Katherine climbed a staircase together or just the first stage in Emperio, that way there would have still been Boss's element integrated into it.

Pretty good game. I just wish I was better at it and the Colosseum could be unlocked from the start with a cheat code. I haven't tried it yet, does it have online? I feel like those who been in relationships could probably get more out of this game than people like me who haven't. Good shit though. I would like to play it again to experience different outcomes in the cutscenes, but I know I'll regret doing those puzzles.

3363262959_66ff82504d.jpg

60. inFamous

screen520x924.jpeg

59. Grand Theft Auto Vice City

537d34be34cef.jpg

58. Zombies Ate My Neighbors

gallery_gaming-perfect-dark-screenshot-4.jpg

57. Perfect Dark

52413-Tekken_3_(E)_(Alt)-1.jpg

56. Tekken 3

tekken-tag-tournament-ps2-screenshot2.jpg

55. Tekken Tag Tournament

Bully.jpg

54. Bully

4.gif

53. Halo

52. Halo 2

original.jpg

51. Final Fantasy X-2

final-fantasy-vii-07-700x484.png

50. Final Fantasy VII

chronotrigger1920-1443129307911%2B%25281%2529.jpg

49. Chrono Trigger

dream-opera.png

48. Final Fantasy VI

Finalfantasy5_jobs_mastered.png

47. Final Fantasy V

46. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

HqxTW.png

45. Pokemon Soul Silver
This was my first pokemon game that I played in several years and the first one to get me addicted to the series again since 98. Just wish it had gen 3 and 4 pokemon integrated in it normally. This game also lead me to the great rom hacks.

hd-gallery-beyond-good-and-evil-hd.jpg

44. Beyond Good & Evil HD

a089d0db54e82df4876567481910dfc3.jpg

43. Grand Theft Auto V

grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-17.jpg

42. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

ss_b42ab5cf2976b19253a6efb4d14786b29fe28d5c.600x338.jpg

41. Rayman Origins

B2UiIFz.png

40. Half-Life 2

aid4103264-728px-Get-Zorua-in-Pok%C3%A9mon-Black-2-and-White-2-Step-3.jpg

39. Pokemon Blaze Black 2
First rom hack I checked out and offered all the variety and challenge I wanted.
I thought I was threw with the Pokemon, but hear I am back in it so I decided to give Black 2 a try.

My initial reaction upon starting the game is that this game is pretty ugly. I'm not sure what happened from Soul Silver to this, but the art director from Silver should've been on this one.

Someone said that the battles are at blazing speeds in this game and gosh dammit, the gaffer was right. During my first battle I was like shit this is too fast, but over time I got used to it and now it's harder to play older Pokemon games.

I liked the design of the female character a bit more in this one so I went with it. Nate's hair looks silly. I was surprised to find that the rival in this game is likable. In Blue and Silver they were jerks and I barely remember Emerald's, but this one I like.

The game has been difficult in a few places mainly against Gym Leader Roxie who took me forever to beat and Colress who's Porygon2 was hellish. Aside from those I had some fun. Legendaries are still a pain to catch, Berries can now be bought for dirt cheap which is good, but I sort of miss the berry pot.

I like how this game's region is inspired by New York City which causes some changes in some of the environments like a sewer dungeon, but why is there a desert wasteland? Also with this being NY I'd expect to see more people of color, but nope I'm just running into white and Asian characters. I came across one Latina and one black guy so far who looked like a breakdancer, Going off of this a black gym leader is out of the question. It would've been nice to have along with being able to customize my trainer's appearance. Great game overall with a good amount of side content.

B001NJMMHG.02.lg.jpg

38. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Played this for the first time last year? It might've been 2015, well whatever it was my first Dragon Quest since VIII. Great game. The story is told with great presentation making you feel the weight of the journey. The game is also very challenging. The only downside is that the encounter rate is too high and the encounter reducing items don't really do shit.

resident-evi.jpg

37. Resident Evil 2

DiddyKongRacingUM2V10snap0036.jpg

36. Diddy Kong Racing

Banjo-Kazooie%20-%20Bubblegloop%20Swamp.jpg

35. Banjo-Kazooie

I wouldn't mind this being a dupe thread usually, but Chrono Trigger at 49? Close this thread mods.

Kidding.

I mean the other one had it in in the mid 70s lol.

On a more serious note, I feel like this type of thread is way less interesting when you just post a list and don't give an indepth discussion like the other poster did

How is street hoops higher than Super Mario World

Super Mario World was too easy for me, but I haven't touched Street Hoops since the early 2000s so maybe World should be higher just based on that.

Getting to the rest, but shit this is taking long with mainly posting the images.

I honestly have no clue how people can compose Top 100 lists in good faith. Do you guys really have such strong and distinct feelings about 100 different games that these lists don't eventually just become a series of arbitrary placements? Like, I could do maybe twenty before my brain just sort of gives up, like oh, which deserves to be #47? SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1, or Just Cause 2?

I honestly have no clue how people can compose Top 100 lists in good faith. Do you guys really have such strong and distinct feelings about 100 different games that these lists don't eventually just become a series of arbitrary placements? Like, I could do maybe twenty before my brain just sort of gives up, like oh, which deserves to be #47? SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1, or Just Cause 2?
Yeah I feel the same way. I could probably push top 10 myself before I shit the bed.

Goldboy

I like these threads. This list also reminded me that I need to check out Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth at some point.

I'm putting one together for the fuck of it, and it really is as simple as "I feel more strongly about this game than that one."

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's more like:

"Here's a list of 100 games that I've played and enjoyed, and maybe the Top 10 are in order of my most favorite. #11-#100 are just games that I like."

daffy

Banned
Frankly LOL at Tiny Toons Sports making the list instead of Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose

I demand a recount

Also this thread is lazier than the Sunday after thanksgiving. Eagerly awaiting the final 30

arc_the_lad_darc_wallpaper_by_foxmusketeer.jpg

34. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

2e75c66d0fca061ace9cd27d82f7bdd6.jpg

33. Threads of Fate
I got this game as a gift way back when. First remember playing a demo of this in a GameStop before they blew up. The gameplay is alright and so is the story, but the reason I like it so much is because of its charm and I'm sort of obsessed of the idea of a sequel ever since it was teased in the game's true ending.

kirby-super-star-05.png

32. Kirby Super Star
Unfortunately, this is still to this day the only Kirby game I've played, but damn if this game isn't fun. Played this game with my big brother a lot when I was a child, then introduced it to my little brother when I became an adult and played it a lot solo many times afterward. This game is all around tight. The gameplay is simple, but fun, the artstyle is cute, and the music is incredible. Each of the different "games" within the game feel different enough from each other to keep things interesting. My favorite three would have to be Milky Way Wishes, the treasure hunting Great Cave Offensive, and Gourmet Race. It still bugs me that Gourmet Race is the only mode in the game that isn't two player. I would like to play the Ultra version for DS one of these days.

batman.aa.05.lg.jpg

31. Batman Arkham Asylum

boss_crocomire.gif

30. Super Metroid
I also played this for the first time last year. A game with a great sense of atmosphere and it provides a lot of challenge. The controls take a bit to get used to and a mechanic at the end of the game doesn't work as intended, but otherwise a very well-made game.

arkham06.jpg

29. Batman Arkham City

35749-Super_Mario_RPG_-_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars_(USA)-14.jpg

28. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Played this I think in 2015 but I remembered the last time I played it and realized it was too easy so I decided to download a hack for some added difficulty. Super Mario RPG Revolution. I don't recommend it. Glitches that prevent you from progressing and arbitrary ways to increase difficulty like stacking HP to enemies or just making them hit harder. The HP thing got serious in Smithy's Factory. The new boss added there takes forever to beat, but this playthrough did highlight all the stuff I like about this game. The graphics, the dialogue, being able to fight with Bowser, the incredible music from Yoko and a battle system that requires a little more than just selecting an action from the menu. I will be playing this again properly whenever I get the opportunity.

33497-Donkey_Kong_Country_2_-_Diddy's_Kong_Quest_(USA)_(En,Fr)-9.jpg

27. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
Damn! I didn't expect this game to be this good. I rented this for just a hot minute back in the dizzle and never really had a chance to experience in full. That changed last year however and I experienced a game with the epitome of level design. This is some of the best damn level design I've ever witnessed in games. The game challenges you without being cheap, it introduces gameplay gimmicks that make each level stand out and even makes boss fights in this genre memorable. Now, the game might have just a tad too much collectables for you to get in order to experience the bonus world, but other than that, it is gaming excellence!

5262ea4b44051.jpg

26. Kingdom Hearts II

11.jpg

25. Kingdom Hearts

dragon-quest-VIII-01.jpg

24. Dragon Quest VIII

a33781473df754cf26359f60eb358ec9.jpg

23. Final Fantasy X

blus-30359-game-ss-3

22. Tekken 6
The first Tekken game I ever played competitively. While I didn't like the bound system at first I got used to it. I remember at my first tournament I made third place and I basically had just been playing the CPU and against my little brother back then.

SSBB_Gameplay.jpg

21. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

ff12_gs21.jpg

20. Final Fantasy XII

super-mario-3d-world-14-800x450.jpg

19. Super Mario 3D World

I particularly want to talk about this game because it has been only one of two games I've owned on my Wii U since I got it so I spent a lot of time playing this. I remember in college my friend said it's okay and he got bored of it because it's not fun playing single player. I highly disagree with that. One of the best Mario games I've played ever. I do wish I was able to play this with other people, but ain't shit I can do about that and I haven't still beaten Champion's Road since I got to it in early 2015.

soul-calibur-2-screenshot-link.jpg

18. Soul Calibur II

Resident-Evil-4-HD-and-Code-Veronica-X-HD-Get-Release-Date-Videos-And-Screenshots-2-625x352.jpg

17. Resident Evil 4
Played this again last year for the first time since about 2009 when my PS2 died. This game was better than what I remember. The level design and sense of tension is great. I didn't have any complaints about the island like some people do. It's not as good as the other portions, but it's not bad either. Too bad I don't have any controllers to play with on my PS3 now. I didn't get the chance to go back to Mercenaries or Ada's campaign.

tekken-5-pc-download.jpg

16. Tekken 5

wallpaper_super_mario_galaxy_02.jpg

15. Super Mario Galaxy

Bii

I'm sure I've played more than a thousand games in around 30 years, and that doesn't include mobile games or browser games.

I'm probably over 1k as well. Part of me almost wants to make that list...but maybe another weekend.

220 seems low? i think ive played like 60 something games in my lifetime

The kind of people ITT who say they've played a thousand or more games are probably the sort that abuse emulators for all they're worth. You can beat 6 NES games in a single afternoon
if you abuse the shit out of save states

1upsuper

The kind of people ITT who say they've played a thousand or more games are probably the sort that abuse emulators for all they're worth. You can beat 6 NES games in a single afternoon
if you abuse the shit out of save states

Nope. I can count on one hand the amount of games I've emulated. I really don't like emulating at all and I've played hundreds and hundreds of games. Lots of cheap digital titles, getting into Famicom/NES, SNES, and N64 collecting before the severe rise in prices, and having lots of friends who are really into games helped a heck of a lot.

1upsuper

So do you just straight up steal them then?

I edited my post. I would rather you not imply that I'm a thief. I don't intend to come off condescending, and I'm sorry that it looks like I have. I just wanted to point out that emulation isn't the only way that people play lots of games. But of course there's nothing wrong with not playing loads of games.

TriAceJP

I was going to go 'This dudes Final Fantasy priority is all out of whack!' but then saw FFXII leading the pack. You may be alright after all.

Don't disappoint me by slipping XIII in somewhere after it.

slit

Good choice putting Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits so high on your list. I thought I was the only one that thought it was a masterpiece.

Fou-Lu

I have such a difficult time listing things like this. I have so many games I love for so many different reasons, how can I just rank them numerically?

Jubbe

So do you just straight up steal them then?

I mean, growing up I played a lot of stolen games. We had a Commodore 64 which I have no idea where the games came from (they were all on discs with handwritten labels), a modded Playstation and a CD burner (we did a lot of renting and copying of games), I had a friend that worked at a games store through the PS2 era who used to "borrow" a lot of PC games that we would install and use no CD cracks on.

Haven't pirated a game in at least a decade though.

220 games is so low it should be punishable. So many amazing games missed and that isn't even including arcade that has hundreds of must plays

There are arcade games in my 220 well 222 now I just remembered a couple.

The only arcade games I played excluding the fighting games:

Time Crisis I don't know which one might've played more than one
Cruisin USA
X-Men Arcade
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Donkey Kong
Pac-Man
Ms. Pac-Man
Some Terminator game
House of the Dead, don't ask me which one
DDR for like 2 minutes
Galaga