• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Top 100 Games

Allen Poe

shit, I'm compelled to make a list of every game I've played, i'm kinda curious to see where I'm at. and don't worry, I won't make a thread for it (i'm a junior member, I can't)

F for effort, OP. (Compared to the other Top-100 thread). Not even one sentence for some of those games?

BUT... your tastes are much more aligned with mine than the other thread was. So there's that.

the-last-of-us.jpg

14. The Last of Us
Was one of the only three brand new games I played while getting my bachelor's degree. I bought it from a used game shop up the street. As I was so impressed with Uncharted 2 and with the magnificent reviews I got this as soon as I could. They amped up both the production and the storytelling in this game. The Last of Us looks a little better than Uncharted 2, the environments look a little more lush and they water noticeably looks more realistic. As far as the gameplay goes the gunplay handles like Uncharted 2, but you can't aim quite as precise as that game until you start using upgrades. Melee attacks play a bigger role and stealth seems crucial in a lot of situations, but the game does give you the option to Rambo, but it will be hard to survive doing that in certain parts. The journey with this game is what pulled me through and had me captivated in the world.
still a little mad that all the black people in the game ended up dying. Playing as Ellie was a surprise too.
It's also the only game that made me legit mad at the ending. I have to recognize it for that.

504x_uncharted_2_gold_rush.jpg

13. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
I was so addicted to this game for a long time. Uncharted 2 was and I think still is the first game I played that felt like playing an action movie. With its narrative structure and presentation it definitely felt like it. Drake and the rest made for a servicable crew and it had one of the most enjoyable ending cutscenes for me. The multiplayer is where I really got hooked. This was back in 09 when that shit was at its peak. I spent many days increasing my skills and got pretty damn good with grenades. I learned my first glitch exploit too that allowed you to go inside the environment and snipe enemies from a safe distance. They can't hit you, but you can hit them. I never did it in a match though, because that's unfair. 1st game I got exposed to talking over a mic and finding horrible people; some child cussing and others finding it strange that a woman is playing it. That only happened a few times, but it was enough for me.

PMTTYD_battle.PNG

12. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

980523.jpg

11. SSX Tricky

39915-Legend_of_Zelda,_The_-_Ocarina_of_Time_(USA)-41.jpg

10. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
I think plenty enough has been said about this game. If you don't know about it go play it.

a40167b21702e9544ec3048ee65999df.gif

9. Earthbound
I played this game for the first time in 2015 and it's been my only playthrough to date, but one playthrough was all I needed to put this game in my top ten of all time. Earthbound always interested my growing up. I always remembered it having the largest most ostentatious box in game stores, but although I wanted to see what this game was all about I unfortunately never had the chance until 2015. I came with positive expectations, but I could never know how much I'd end up enjoying it. Earthbound has interesting writing. It is weird, funny, scary and also sad. The game encompasses many moods and instills them well. The setting and many subjects in its writing plays on American culture. You'll be taking note of many references throughout the game.
Aside from the story and writing, Earthbound is a challenging game. The beginning of the game will be a struggle, but things will start to ease up on you as you progress, but there will be tense battles throughout where you're quite not sure if you're able to win. The game's inventory system also encourages you to use as many items as you can.
The only negatives I can give this game is that they are pretty much no sidequests and the fuzzy pickles photographer got old after a while.
Overall, Earthbound is a fantastic game that pulls in and never let's go.

e48b6f76.png

8. Final Fantasy VIII

Final-Fantasy-IV.png

7. Final Fantasy IV

Yoshi-Layers.png

6. Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Island is my favorite 2D platformer. The game is just such a joy to play. It has a unique art style that separates it from anything else out there, wonderful catchy music, and level design that keeps you engaged from start to finish. The game even offers some challenge by going after all the collectibles which reward you with challenging secret levels. Yoshi's Island has a child-like innocence to it that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

r9sf50lumkj3tuigmc4f.jpg

5. Okami
My 5th favorite game ever, Okami is an excellent combination of graphical beauty and superb game design. The game's combat may be as easy as the Zelda series if not easier, but the atmosphere, music, and level design makes up for it. The game is a lot longer than one would expect, but it's enjoyable all the way through.

Shiro.jpg

4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
This is my favorite Legend of Zelda so far. While Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time were my introduction to the series, this game resonated with me so well because of the amount of side quests in the game and the mask transformations that added a lot of diversity to the gameplay. The world of Termina is one of the few games that felt real. Characters had personality and they all changed and attended to their daily lives sometimes interweaving with each other and you also had an impact on the effect of all of them.

Metal-Gear-Solid-3-pachinko-625x350.jpg

3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
My third favorite game of all time. Snake Eater is one of the great pillars of video game storytelling. It has a supernatural 60's James Bond feel to it, especially with that opening title song. The game also has the best gameplay out of the main series. I loved hunting, fixing up wounds, and messing with the guards. It also has the best boss fights out of any game I've played. That final boss and cutscene will always sit with me.

9fef8b435d0d13107511a2f6dc5c7cac.jpg

2. LittleBigPlanet
OMG I love this game so much! I had saved a lot of money for a PS3 and this was the game that came with it. I always wanted to be a designer and designing your own levels was the entire appeal for me. I have never spent so much time in one day on a game before. There were plenty of days where I stayed up until 4am to make sure my level was perfect and it had no bugs despite needing to get up early at like 7 or 8. The campaign was alright and I do admit the jumping is floaty, but I never been immersed in an online community before. This was my first game I played online and recall entering creation contests and getting other players to help me build my levels. I didn't take this with me when I went off to college because I was afraid I would fail my classes if I did. Still need to play LittleBigPlanet 2 someday, but I feel like it's too late to now. There's probably no one online on the game anymore.

KI6926v.jpg

1. Final Fantasy IX
My absolute favorite game of all time. Final Fantasy IX is very dear to me. It was given to me by unconventional means and ended up becoming the game that made me so interested in video games in the first place. Final Fantasy IX showed me what video games can provide beyond gameplay and it made an impact on my life, that I'm not even sure what I would be doing right now if I never played it. Final Fantasy IX is the reason why I want to own a game company, it was the reason I took up writing, it was the reason I took up drawing, and it was reason why I am into music as much as I am. I owe a lot to this game. This game has been duly noted from both Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu as their favorite entry in the franchise and frankly it's mines as well.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Yoshi's Island would also be in my top 10, good choice. I could maybe make a top 30-40; no way I could do 100 legitimately without just getting arbitrary in my ordering after 40ish.

Wensih

you've only played 220 games? Ever?

I was assuming when he said played that beaten was also implied. Seems low still to make a robust list.

For comparison, a somewhat outdated list I keep says that I own 586 636 games and have beaten 475 517. I'll need to update this list soon.

Edit: Updated list to get more current figures.

I was assuming when he said played that beaten was also implied. Seems low still to make a robust list.

For comparison, a somewhat outdated list I keep says that I own 586 games and have beaten 475. I'll need to update this list soon.

Nah, I didn't beat all 220. Some I'm not even sure if I played. Every game on this list I have played in some capacity.

Interesting list... though I don't think LBP has any business being in a top 100.

That's a bit harsh, but then again, 100 is a lot of games. I would say LBP was probably the best platformer of last generation (outside of Mario I suppose).

Not a single RTS. No Gran Turismo games. I don't remember seeing a single Blizzard game. For that matter almost no FPS games.

It would be insightful to include at least the reason(s) why they are in your list in that position, it makes your justification easier and it's more interesting to discuss.

Regardless it's an interesting list but I don't agree with alot of them lol LBP better than MGS3?

Ansatz

I was actually trying to figure out how my top 100 would look like yesterday considering how many mainline Mario, Zelda and Metroid titles there are alone. I was thinking of imposing some kind of rule to make the list more interesting, for example only one 2D and 3D Mario per 10 games, and perhaps some other rule that forces me to pick two titles that never appeared on a Nintendo system, one indie and one AAA, per 10 games. This kind of tier system would lead to a list that has say Ratchet & Clank at place 67 while Majora's Mask is "only" at 70 even though I clearly prefer MM in a direct comparison. I think people would find that kind of list more fun to read and it would also give a better idea of my taste.

Diamond

I haven't played many just Don't Disturb, Twisted Fusion, Alice Mare, Scott Pilgrim???,Skullgirls, and Castle Crashers.

If you love Earthbound, you owe to yourself to try Undertale.
You seem to like platformers, so you could try things like Limbo, Ori, Braid, Child of Light, Never Alone, Inside... All with pretty interesting worlds and atmosphere.

Not trying to change your list, it's fine like it is, but it doesn't hurt to know a lot of very good games exist that could potentially be among your favourites.

Bishop89

thanks for the thread.

I really love going through top x lists which have freaken pictures. The ones which are just words are so boring, but I dig this.

Nice list as well, and respect for including a bloody roar game

Added some more comments to some of the games on the first page. Looking back I think I would rank some of these differently, but it's too much trouble to do right now.

If you love Earthbound, you owe to yourself to try Undertale.
You seem to like platformers, so you could try things like Limbo, Ori, Braid, Child of Light, Never Alone, Inside... All with pretty interesting worlds and atmosphere.

Not trying to change your list, it's fine like it is, but it doesn't hurt to know a lot of very good games exist that could potentially be among your favourites.

I would like to, but money.

Top Bottom