• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 |OT| Finally, Tenten's Turn To Shine!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Desi said:
at least I agree with you. what he said in that paragraph kind of makes his last statement silly.

The IGN review is written by the same guy who did the two terrible Sengoku Basara 3 and Samurai Warriors 3 "reviews." I stopped reading it after the first sentence.

Pein

Banned
Picked up the 360 version today and played the story up to sasuke vs naruto and that shit was incredible. I hate the prerendered background and it always feels like a chore to travel.

Played a bit of online and found that the only people to play against were European even so lag wasn't too bad.

MrPliskin

Banned
FullMetal said:
So basically he said "I'm not so much into fighters, I don't really know much about them and even less for this series. But its all so shiny and pretty...let me try and give this game a review anyway."

Does anyone ever peer review anything?

I'd actually argue that his relatively high score and disliking for the series (and fighters) speaks much louder for the game than say, someone who loves the series, loves fighters, and gives it a higher score.

At first I was disappointed I couldn't explore the Village as before but then I saw how many different places I can go so I don't mind to much.

I'm glad they got rid of all that stupid grinding and collecting scrolls bullshit.

Personally I think this is a huge improvement over the first, especially in storytelling.

I'm only up to chapter 3 though so I'll keep going :D

Ephemeris

Damn. First time in like, a year since I didn't receive a game from Gamefly.

It just had to be this one.

*looks for the closest magazine rack*

Will be hitting this up immediately after work. Still havent beaten the first one (still on the Tsunade arc), but getting through what appears to be a ridiculously fun story mode and unlocking characters for multi is a must.

Looking forward to playing as Minato! :D

DihcarEM

79% trophies, getting ready for the final grind to get the last 4 or so trophies. Only one of them will be very long and boring to get which is the "Get all titles" trophy.

MrPliskin

Banned
DihcarEM said:
79% trophies, getting ready for the final grind to get the last 4 or so trophies. Only one of them will be very long and boring to get which is the "Get all titles" trophy.

What the hell, have you been playing non-stop? :lol

Just checked online and no one is carrying it in stock even for pre-order except for ebgames in my area. I didn't think Best Buy or Walmart would pass over this game.

Raw64life

Been holding out because Amazon had a B2G1 a week or two after the other ones last year but it's becoming harder and harder to resist. I just know Amazon or some other place will have a ridiculous sale as soon as I get this game though.

jergrah

awilliams213 said:
Just checked online and no one is carrying it in stock even for pre-order except for ebgames in my area. I didn't think Best Buy or Walmart would pass over this game.

Im in the same boat -- was going to pick it up for my son tonight at Best Buy but its not even listed on their website. The Target site says its only available online and not in store. Seems odd.

MrPliskin

Banned
I really miss hopping around Konoha, thankfully I still have NUNS1 so I can still do it if I want.

I wish there was a way to run between villages though, similar to the first you could use your chakra to boost around.

Still, enjoying it a lot, seems the QTE's are MUCH better than the first one. NUNS1 was BRUTAL with it's QTE's, lol.

Also: LARS?! WTF?!

Got the ps3 version because of the suppossed larger community.

anyways I HATE The prerendered backgrounds. I do believe that this is not the Playstation 1 era...WTF

I mean it's pretty, but give me back my beautiful 3d enviroment that was in the first one that I could freely travel.

also, so much fucking loading. that was like one of the major annoyances from the first. You would think they would have made the loading better.

ok just got the game have not followed it. But have the dev taken out the epic supers in multiplayer 1 vs 1? the ones where you could choose either a mash option or a quicktime style option?

I cant seem to find the option anywhere.

Skilletor

Kabuki Waq said:
ok just got the game have not followed it. But have the dev taken out the epic supers in multiplayer 1 vs 1? the ones where you could choose either a mash option or a quicktime style option?

I cant seem to find the option anywhere.

That's from the ps2 series. UNS1 didn't have that, either.

Picked up my copy. Played the first battle from the demo. The presentation in this game is of the highest quality. It's ridiculous.

The Naruto fan within me explodes with the passion of youth.

MrPliskin

Banned
Skilletor said:

Picked up my copy. Played the first battle from the demo. The presentation in this game is of the highest quality. It's ridiculous.

Oh man...wait until you get to the Sasuke fight with Naruto. It is so well done, it blew my mind. Fucking AMAZING.

Skilletor said:

Huh uns1 had those supers too and they looked spectacular ex naruto would multiply x100 in his super and kakashi had some huge lightning dragon thing

MrPliskin said:
Oh man...wait until you get to the Sasuke fight with Naruto. It is so well done, it blew my mind. Fucking AMAZING.

That fight was so so awesome :D

I had high hopes for that fight and they also blew my mind.

Skilletor

Kabuki Waq said:
Huh uns1 had those supers too and they looked spectacular ex naruto would multiply x100 in his super and kakashi had some huge lightning dragon thing

You didn't have to mash for them.

I thought you meant something different. For the supers, you just press chakra button twice and then attack. I thought you were referring to how the ps2 versions had multiple levels of each super. My mistake. :)

Just played up to after Team Gai's introduction and I can't place it but it feels stripped down from the last game. I really miss exploring all of the village. Not this FFXIII version of it. It feels so pointless now because basically is straight line with a few forks but with nothing to do but talk to random people and shop for stuff i have no clue what it does.

The game play is still awesome and the boss fights have been pretty damn great so far but now I feel as if I just want to skip the boring running around to get to the awesome. At least in the last game I could jump on roofs and shit....

It really drags down the game for me.

Lyte Edge said:
The IGN review is written by the same guy who did the two terrible Sengoku Basara 3 and Samurai Warriors 3 "reviews." I stopped reading it after the first sentence.

This guy is a clown and if IGN knows what is good for them, they should dump his ass. As I said in an earlier thread, he tries way too hard to be snarky and it comes off as childish. "lol this game sux"

Can't wait to play me some Ninja Storm 2!

Pein

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I haven't had a problem with the way people play, just the connectivity. GOD the net code is horrible!
now that a people from north america are playing my experience has been great little to no lag in my matches tonight.

MrPliskin

Banned
Pein said:
now that a people from north america are playing my experience has been great little to no lag in my matches tonight.

I just keep suffering from a lot of disconnects and "session is full". Pretty much the only time I'm able to get into a room is when I create the session.

Also, does it seem like a lot of people simply let you beat their ass until they can go into their Awakening? :lol

Josh7289

I just started this game tonight, and it's legit good. All the systems and such are mostly the same as in UNS1, but everything is refined and flows much better, which seems to make all the difference. I'm really enjoying this game more than UNS1.

I still have to play some more to judge whether the combat system is 'simplistic' or not, though. That was my complaint with UNS1 and it doesn't seem much changed in UNS2, but I honestly didn't give it enough of a chance back then, so we'll see how it goes this time.

But the removal of filler in between battles really helps the flow, and the QTE sequences during story battles are exciting and similarly give the game a better pace. So far it's a really fun game.

MrPliskin

Banned
Yea, I can honestly say I'm terrible online. I've had my ass handed to me 5 times in online ranking. There's just no way for me to consistently counter anything, and I have no idea how the fuck people are doing substitution jutsu all over the place.

DR2K

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Yea, I can honestly say I'm terrible online. I've had my ass handed to me 5 times in online ranking. There's just no way for me to consistently counter anything, and I have no idea how the fuck people are doing substitution jutsu all over the place.

Mash block.

MrPliskin

Banned
DR2K said:
Mash block.

I get how to do it, but it requires pretty decent timing, does it not? I mean, I can't just furiously mash the block button and hope for it to happen, can I?

I mean, I see people who are literally doing this the first hit of a combo, consistently, every time. I don't get it. It almost feels like people are mashing block the moment I get near them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man Lee's awakening is no joke. I played my first online match against a Naruto and the input lag put my moves at literally a full second after my button presses, I managed to win by pretty much predicting the guy's moves, but Lee's awakening basically let's him teleport. As such, I was able to pull it an instant before Naruto's, 'port over there, and wail on him every time he tried to go all Nine Tails on my ass. If he tried to charge his chakra for even an INSTANT, I'd be right in his face. Mmmmmmmm yes.

Anyway the whole polish and package here is just fuckin fabulous, be it visual design, audio design, or what have you. It's really the only anime-game series I've experienced that's in this league, nothing else even comes close.

Dante23

Knux-Future said:
It feels stripped down from the last game. I really miss exploring all of the village. Not this FFXIII version of it. It feels so pointless now because basically is straight line with a few forks but with nothing to do but talk to random people and shop for stuff i have no clue what it does.

Damn, you are so right, I thought that the streamlined version of the world was present in UNS1 too, but I saw a video and wow, I was very wrong, why the hell they didn't keep the full 3d towns? I mean, it is beautiful at first, after that it becomes boring. In the video I saw there was full liberty in Konoha, and it was so fucking awesome, jutsus to travel faster, even a shadow clone cannon!, a shame that is not the case with UNS2. Well, I suppose you can't have everything, I'll buy it anyways.

Dante23 said:
Damn, you are so right, I thought that the streamlined version of the world was present in UNS1 too, but I saw a video and wow, I was very wrong, why the hell they didn't keep the full 3d towns? I mean, it is beautiful at first, after that it becomes boring. In the video I saw there was full liberty in Konoha, and it was so fucking awesome, jutsus to travel faster, even a shadow clone cannon!, a shame that is not the case with UNS2. Well, I suppose you can't have everything, I'll buy it anyways.

There is no way they could do that for every location though. Would be insane. Would be awesome though.

Skilletor said:
You didn't have to mash for them.

I thought you meant something different. For the supers, you just press chakra button twice and then attack. I thought you were referring to how the ps2 versions had multiple levels of each super. My mistake. :)

There was an option to button mash, you could mash, spin the stick and then some of the attacks had a button sequence that both had to do until one fucked up.

Tathanen said:
Man Lee's awakening is no joke. I played my first online match against a Naruto and the input lag put my moves at literally a full second after my button presses, I managed to win by pretty much predicting the guy's moves, but Lee's awakening basically let's him teleport. As such, I was able to pull it an instant before Naruto's, 'port over there, and wail on him every time he tried to go all Nine Tails on my ass. If he tried to charge his chakra for even an INSTANT, I'd be right in his face. Mmmmmmmm yes.

Anyway the whole polish and package here is just fuckin fabulous, be it visual design, audio design, or what have you. It's really the only anime-game series I've experienced that's in this league, nothing else even comes close.
I've been using Guy online and his awakening is pretty much the same; teleporting right behind my opponent. It's only because of that that I was able to win against Sage Naruto in 6-tail mode when I had only a sliver of life left. I wish there was an option to save replays of your matches.

I'm having a blast with the online mode. I played 30 matches and only a few have been laggy. But damn, some people out there are really good at this game.

DihcarEM

MrPliskin said:
What the hell, have you been playing non-stop? :lol
I'm clocking in at 28hours now and i have two trophies left. I'll get one when the timer hits 30h. The other is the most annoying trophy, which is getting all titles. You have to replay all the story fights, play 30 times with each character(you can make it half by playing vs with 2 of the same characters thus only 15 times), get all the bonus rules from the story fights, win 40 ranked matches. The last one will be a total drag for me, i hate online play and i have to win goddamit.

Played all the way through to where Naruto & Company are leaving the Sand Village to head off after Gaara.

First of all, count me as one of the folks that is enjoying the pre-rendered backgrounds. Looks fantastic! The loading time is MUCH better than the first, but considering that I have it installed (360), it feels like it should be faster and much less often.

For me, this game as Skilletor said, makes the Naruto fan inside me explodes with the passion of youth! I watched the anime up until they saved Gaara and went into their first filler. From that point, Ive pretty much been following the series strictly through the manga, so its nice to hear the voices (Japanese of course) again and see color. I definitely have missed the show. Everything in this game is so well done, even if the combat is largely the same as the first.

Didnt get a chance to go online, will dive in once I beat the single player and unlock everyone.

Gametrailers put up a behind the scenes look at CyberConnect. It's amazing seeing a team so knowledgeable about the souce material.

CyberConnect2 Interview
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/cyberconnect2-interview-naruto-shippuden/706359

Behind the Game Part I: Ninja Fans
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-naruto-shippuden/705734
Behind the Game Part II: Ninja Art
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-naruto-shippuden/705736
Behind the Game Part III: Ninja Stories
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-naruto-shippuden/705738
Behind the Game Part IV: Online Ninjas
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-naruto-shippuden/705857
Behind the Game Part V: Ninja Bosses
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/behind-the-naruto-shippuden/706361

Top Bottom