• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno Mission |OT| Now in orbit around Jupiter - New images released (9/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Alright, if you're playing the "drink every time they say science" game, I need you to stop. For your own health. Stop.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Are we collecting science now?

Came to post this lmfao.

vnpTzx9.jpg

Let's listen in on the team.

Cuts to team chillin'.

"She said let's listen in on the team!"

Internal panic: "Hurry up, somebody Science!"

Please don't hit debris
Please don't hit debris
Please don't hit debris

I imagine you can't quite build anything durable enough to handle debris slamming into Juno, can you?

Aggelos

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So, silly question.. space is cold right? How is heat such an issue? I'd imagine any thermal radiation/heat gets absorbed by the void pretty damned fast.

Disxo

So, silly question.. space is cold right? How is heat such an issue? I'd imagine any thermal radiation/heat gets absorbed by the void pretty damned fast.
Why is the sun hot from the earth then?
Space can be extremelly hot or extremelly cold.

My complete un-scientific and bullshit guess is that space is cold because it is (mostly) a void with no matter to absorb and hold heat. But if you're Juno out there and you get close to something pumping out heat like Jupiter itself, you're a craft with matter that can take in that heat...? I dunno.

DrEvil

Why is the sun hot from the earth then?
Space can be extremelly hot or extremelly cold.

Well the sun is an ongoing thermonuclear bomb, Juno is a little spacecraft with batteries and a mini reactor (I assume).

It just baffles me that stuff like firing an engine still makes metal red hot in space etc... since my understanding of space is that it's as close to absolute zero as possible.

One of these controllers need to open up Galaga on their PC like that guy in Avengers.

At least that's what I would do.

For science, obviously.

Disxo

Well the sun is an ongoing thermonuclear bomb, Juno is a little spacecraft with batteries and a mini reactor (I assume).

It just baffles me that stuff like firing an engine still makes metal red hot in space etc... since my understanding of space is that it's as close to absolute zero as possible.
Yeah, Its weird, but heat is still transferred. Edit: Crap, This was wrong.

Btw this doesn't have a mini reactor, is solar powered :D

Regarding heat and stuff in space:

There's nothing to conduct the heat from hot to cold, even if space itself is close to absolute zero. Hence the problem of building up heat and the need to radiate it out somehow.

fallout

No reactor, actually. Hence the giant solar panels. In fact, the battery dies if it doesn't reorient itself properly post-JOI burn.

Heat is still heat. That energy goes somewhere.

DrEvil

No reactor, actually. Hence the giant solar panels. In fact, the battery dies if it doesn't reorient itself properly post-JOI burn.

Heat is still heat. That energy goes somewhere.

Yeah, I knew it was solar.. don't know why the hell I figured there was a reactor onboard.. to much Kerbal, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom