• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno Mission |OT| Now in orbit around Jupiter - New images released (9/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
....the hell did I miss??

Can't do livestream atm. Hopefully all the good stuff gets posted

It was a tribute video to Galileo and showed this:

y28Fkcn.gif

It was amazing to see in motion, but I'm sure to most they'll not thing much about it.

Actually the outermost moon (Callisto) being dimmer than the others in that video was apparently something they didn't know. So they already got some new science from it.

Edit: Oh you mean regular people, not the scientists. Derp.

Actually the outermost moon (Callisto) being dimmer than the others in that video was apparently something they didn't know. So they already got some new science from it.

No no, I mean the masses. My husband's reaction was the "oh neat" variety. I'm glad science was and is being served here of course.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
No no, I mean the masses. My husband's reaction was the "oh neat" variety. I'm glad science was and is being served here of course.

It's trending on Twitter, so maybe that is a good sign in terms of the general public. I think there will be a big interest spike once the photos start rolling in. NASA was smart to let people vote what photos to take to keep the public interested in the mission.

It's trending on Twitter, so maybe that is a good sign in terms of the general public. I think there will be a big interest spike once the photos start rolling in. NASA was smart to let people vote what photos to take to keep the public interested in the mission.
The new social age has really been a boon for NASA. They've used it wisely.

Socreges

Banned
I like how they disappear for a moment as they pass into Jupiter's shadow. Somehow that made it more real for me.

How sped up is the video? Do we know?

Also, this video is only a fraction of what we saw in the livestream (this is only 1 orbit of Io).

Also said on the stream the full video was 17 days compressed to three minutes.

Quoting Twitter:
Oh I see. So about 8000x. I guess 1x would be a bit dull.

I need the 3 min video...

Das a wrap. I shouldnt have got myself built up for close up photos so early lol. That orbital video is amazing though. That'll do for now. Good day.

Seeing that orbital video reminded me of the first time I looked at the moon through a decent telescope. Shit just fills me with feelings of wonder and fascination.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Seeing that orbital video reminded me of the first time I looked at the moon through a decent telescope. Shit just fills me with feelings of wonder and fascination.

Yup. Amazing stuff, I wish your government would throw more money at NASA.. It's such a shame the way they're treated.

Yup. Amazing stuff, I wish your government would throw more money at NASA.. It's such a shame the way they're treated.
I wish space exploration had the same importance it did back in the moon landing days.

Does Canada not do much for NASA? I honestly dont know.
But yes I agree. I wish NASA got all the money.

golem

Still more than the rest of the world per capita. Doesnt seem like anyone else really cares except for the Chinese atm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsQimYhNkA&feature=youtu.be

Here is that awesome video they played during the press conference.

That's it. Still get chills from it.

Some twitter comments explaining why Callisto was blinking in that video:

The reason Callisto is blinky is because its light was dimmer than expected; passing thru JunoCam's optics, it focuses to a VERY small point

JunoCam detector is a mix of active pixel area and areas that store charge for readout. Callisto's light sometimes fell off of active area

JunoCam, based on Curiosity's MARDI, was designed to look at extended targets (things filling many pixels), not point targets

ike_

As hard as it was for me to get a single goddamn Kerbal to walk on Mun, I can only imagine how elated NASA must be with a successful 5 year autonomous probe flight.

I've been quietly following this. Amazing to see the orbits of the moons in motion; there is just something so surreal about it. I'm sitting here watching as Jupiter's insane mass pull these moons in perpetual perfect falls towards its center of gravity curving space and time; beautiful. I'm used to seeing Jupiter in it's typical 'straight line formation' like this when viewing from a telescope:
Jupiter.jpg

Watching the motions of Jupiter's moons gives me the same feeling I had when I first viewed Saturn from my telescope; space looks fake in all the right ways.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpsQimYhNkA&feature=youtu.be

Here is that awesome video they played during the press conference.

Cool video. Vangelis music can make anything feel awesome though. :D

52 days until we start seeing some really incredible stuff. One thing that always bothers me about these NASA events is that when they do something amazing I always get the urge to play me some Kerbal Space Program!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom