• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Kepler telescope discovers first Earth-size planet in 'habitable zone'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
The idea that 500 years is irrelevant is kinda scary. Look at what we've done in the last 100 or so, as a species. It's been like an atomic blast. When you think about how long it takes for intelligent life to appear, and then how short a time it takes for it to develop... is any intelligent life that's out there look anything like us at all? If we caught them on a cosmic scale on a timeline of development past ours, they must be eons ahead. And that's not even considering historical factors that allowed us to develop, like the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs and allowed primates to become us. And that took 65 million years. Imagine if dinosaurs never stopped evolving at the same scale. An extra 65 million years of development for all of them. It's crazy, you can't even comprehend it.

Geologically speaking. The planet doesn't change one bit without someone actively changing it in 500 years. So the fact we see it 500 years "late" is kind of irrelevant. And since we don't have enough resolution/data to determine much else than "Earth-sized, probably rocky"... well, until proven otherwise, we don't need to think but its geology and other stuff, we don't need to think whether it has life changing it.
(If we can determine its atmospheric composition, if it has oxygen.. that's when the fun starts. Free oxygen is almost certain proof of presence of life.)

Parch

It's amazing the dividends that NASA continues to provide, even while being criminally underfunded.
No arguing about underfunding, which is why it's important that NASA spends wisely. There are fair arguments that the Keplar program was not money well spent. There were significant delays and the spacecraft still has technical problems which has limited the mission success.

Plus the goals have been questioned. There's really nothing that can be done when these exoplanets are found, and the ground based equipment and the SETI program is already doing an adequate job. NASA is being criticized for PR hunting by spending on a publically popular topic like a search for aliens instead of sticking to more scientific goals and exploration missions.

It's real easy to think everything NASA does is wonderful. Others think the Keplar program was a waste of limited funding that should have been spent elsewhere. I certainly wish NASA was better funded so that it wouldn't be necessary to question every buck spent. Until that happens, it's a valid criticism that NASA should not be involved in SETI programs and focusing on more valid projects.

Drazgul

After US presidents.

Welcome to Planet Nixon.

dNIQKDP.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Finding extrasolar planets isn't just PR, it also gives new observations as to how planetary systems exist and tests ideas of how they can form. After all, until recently we only had our own system to look at.

Clydefrog

They probably just found us too. I bet they're envious of our 365 day year, bitches!

A Joogle search found this on the GEONaf website:

The Kerpolpian Times
New Gargas-like planet found in habitable zone

Armaros

No arguing about underfunding, which is why it's important that NASA spends wisely. There are fair arguments that the Keplar program was not money well spent. There were significant delays and the spacecraft still has technical problems which has limited the mission success.

Plus the goals have been questioned. There's really nothing that can be done when these exoplanets are found, and the ground based equipment and the SETI program is already doing an adequate job. NASA is being criticized for PR hunting by spending on a publically popular topic like a search for aliens instead of sticking to more scientific goals and exploration missions.

It's real easy to think everything NASA does is wonderful. Others think the Keplar program was a waste of limited funding that should have been spent elsewhere. I certainly wish NASA was better funded so that it wouldn't be necessary to question every buck spent. Until that happens, it's a valid criticism that NASA should not be involved in SETI programs and focusing on more valid projects.

NASA in its entire history has had a higher return on investment ratio compared to just about any department of the government.

At their worst, NASA is still better then the majority of the government on 'spending wisely'

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
NASA with its less than one half of one percent of the US federal budget is certainly the first place to investigate on effectively spending money.

Woorloog

Banned
NASA with its less than one half of one percent of the US federal budget is certainly the first place to investigate on effectively spending money.

Didn't the US Army have some issues with being forced to buy tanks it doesn't need nor want (something something contracts)? And then there's the Air Force wanting to replace A-10 with F-35...

I would argue SETI is pointless research though. Looking for exo-planets is better, but SETI is, IMO, pointless. Sending radio signals more or less randomly everywhere, with no guarantee they are intercepted, not to mention being even understood... And whatever else SETI does.
Now, first finding something interesting like this new planet, and then starting focused SETI on it, that sounds more useful to me. But perhaps there are good arguments for a bigger project like SETI.
Hmm. Need to read about it more actually, been a long time since i last googled it.

Woorloog

Banned
SETI is far more about listening than sending.

Yeah, well, however it works. What are the chances we actually catch something that is actually sent (either at us or merely... spilled over, so to speak), yet alone realize it is from artificial source? I'd imagine in case we actually get something from artificial source, it would be something we don't need SETI to hear...

I have to admit, unfortunately stupid reporting about SETI doesn't really help its image in my mind. Articles like "SETI's been active 50 years, why haven't we heard anything?" And yes, i've actually seen article like that somewhere. Really really makes want to /headdesk, i'd start wondering why we haven't heard anything at 5000 year mark at earliest...

Anyway, as i noted, i need to get myself up to date about SETI.

Parch

Nothing NASA can do about the army spending. They can only decide on what to do with the chicken scratch thrown their way.

Apparently everything that Kepler can do could have been incorporated into the Webb telescope, but they didn't want to wait and I imagine there would be usage concerns like they had with the Hubble.

The Keppler criticisms probably would be less if the thing worked properly, but it seems to be doing well enough to extend the mission and justify the $18M/yr annual cost. It's up there. Might as well make the best of it now, but it doesn't stop people thinking that the initial $600M for the Kepler project could have been better spent elsewhere.

It's just extra frustrating when the US military pisses away that much money on a regular basis.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I am hyped for the new telescope!
You might be disappointed in that its focus is in the infrared band rather than the visible one. For science purposes this is still extremely useful, but it won't produce the same kind of pictures that Hubble did.

Linkyn

Not only will it take forever to get there, but we only know what it looks like from 500 years ago.

Really not so much of a problem for those travelling, as long as you can reach high enough velocities. A healthy dose of time dilation and length contraction can take care of 500 lightyears as if they're nothing, but obviously only for those on board. The rest of us poor suckers would still have to wait the regular time for them to arrive, plus again as much time for confirmation of their landing to reach us.

E92 M3

You might be disappointed in that its focus is in the infrared band rather than the visible one. For science purposes this is still extremely useful, but it won't produce the same kind of pictures that Hubble did.

I am a man of science :)

RyanDG

Yeah, well, however it works. What are the chances we actually catch something that is actually sent (either at us or merely... spilled over, so to speak), yet alone realize it is from artificial source? I'd imagine in case we actually get something from artificial source, it would be something we don't need SETI to hear...

I have to admit, unfortunately stupid reporting about SETI doesn't really help its image in my mind. Articles like "SETI's been active 50 years, why haven't we heard anything?" And yes, i've actually seen article like that somewhere. Really really makes want to /headdesk, i'd start wondering why we haven't heard anything at 5000 year mark at earliest...

Anyway, as i noted, i need to get myself up to date about SETI.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/books/21book.html?_r=0

One of my favorite books on the subject of SETI.

"It’s mildly batty to search for radio signals, sent intentionally or not, from what may be a very advanced civilization, he writes, because even Earth’s own radio output is already beginning to fade. Radio signals are outdated technology, nearly as sun-bleached as an old issue of Omni magazine. (E. T. surely has cable by now.) And because even a nearby alien civilization would probably be some 1,000 light-years away, conversation is just about impossible. Even if this distant civilization could spy on us, here’s what they’d see right now: Earth about 1010, long before the Industrial Revolution.

Mr. Davies’s arguments in “The Eerie Silence” are multiple and many-angled, and difficult to summarize here. But among other things, he thinks we need to pay as much attention to Earth as we do to the cosmos. If we can find evidence that life began from scratch more than once on our own planet — a “second genesis” — it would vastly increase the odds that the universe is teeming with life. What’s more, because it’s as likely that alien civilizations visited Earth a million years ago as last month, they might have already been here, and we’ve missed the signs."

Parch

Yeah, there will be a lot of fabricated photos based on the infrared shots.

The science potential is outstanding though. I would argue that the Hubble was the most significant scientific tool ever created. It's provided so much and changed the way we think about the universe. The Webb telescope will most definitely exceed Hubble's accomplishments.

Chichikov

so looking up Cygnus, this is still in our galaxy, right? Is there anything beyond the Milky Way that we really know about?

my roommate JUST last night was going off on how unlikely there's life out there as Earth is the only planet like it that we know.

I dropped the stat on him that there are most likely 100 billion galaxies in the universe.
Yeah, it's in our galaxy, really close by in the grand scheme of things (the milky is about 100,000 light years. Regarding other galaxies, we don't have the ability to detect planets in other galaxies.

And you're absolutely right about the like the odds, we're learning that planets are pretty damn common, and between over a 100 billion planets in our galaxy and 100 billion galaxies, damn, life will have to be something extremely unlikely to only have happened once.

RELAYER

Banned
Woorloog said:
(If we can determine its atmospheric composition, if it has oxygen.. that's when the fun starts. Free oxygen is almost certain proof of presence of life.)

Based on what?

They probably just found us too. I bet they're envious of our 365 day year, bitches!

A Joogle search found this on the GEONaf website:

The Kerpolpian Times
New Gargas-like planet found in habitable zone

This made me laugh.

It sucks that I'll never see this planet. Or any other. I want to go to space. :(

Woorloog

Banned
Based on what?

Oxygen has a funny habit of being highly reactive. You leave it with stuff it can react with, and soon you don't have it as gas anymore. Unless you replenish it.
Earth's atmosphere didn't always have free oxygen, only after life started freeing oxygen from other gases and ground did the atmosphere start becoming like it is today (and since the early life was anaerobic, the oxygen in air actually killed a lot of it...).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geological_history_of_oxygen

Of course, i said "almost certain", didn't say "certain". For example, Ganymede, a moon of Jupiter, does have oxygen in its very, very thin atmosphere. This oxygen is apparently formed from radiation freeing it from water on its surface. And then it escapes the thin atmosphere.

So, yeah, finding an exo-planet with oxygen atmosphere would be a huge find. Either it would indicate presence of life, or some other interesting cause.

EDIT this is, naturally, very much simplified explanation. But correct at its core, as far as i know.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
We need to invent FTL travel.

I wonder if they can somehow get to look for actual satellites orbiting these planets sometime soon.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
There is going to be a time when children growing up will have the common knowledge of life elsewhere in the universe.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Soon they will find us, the race of giant space ants. There is no stopping them. The ants will soon be here.

And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom