• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naziya Mahmood: Artist, Poet, Martial Arts expert, Honors grad, Rocket Scientist

Status
Not open for further replies.
0DB61an.jpg

zsBXJdQ.jpg

BmOs3sq.jpg

ekIAB26.jpg

Naziyah Mahmood is a woman of contradictions.She was a scientist for the European Space Agency, an artist and soon to be published writer/poet. Also, she is a deadly martial artist and weapons collector while being a peace loving woman of faith. Naziyah has overcome a tough upbringing and disability to become an academic of excellence……who can also kick your butt.

How did you get into martial arts?

I come from a mixed background. My mother is English and my father is from Pakistan but our blood lineage is Arab. My mum had a really difficult life and along came my father like a handsome Prince to sweep her of her feet! (Being a mixed race couple in Glasgow) had been tough for them. In my website blogs I have written about my first ever memory. This is seeing my mother coming home and being covered in blood. I must have only been about three years old but still remember it and promised that I would become big and strong to protect her. My father was in the Army and taught me to never let anyone bully me. He used to say, “If you let them bully you once, they will do it again and again.” He taught me to be strong and put me and my brother and sister into martial arts classes so we could protect ourselves. My brother still does Muay Thai.

What styles have you practiced in?

I have been training for around 20 years now in various martial arts. I am a bit of a jack of all trades. One of my earliest arts was Ninjitsu. I was a kid and we got to play all kinds of crazy games. It was so much fun. Ninjitsu is definitely the closest (to favourite) in my mind. It was very spiritual and had weapons. This must have stayed with me because I am a very spiritual person and love weapons still. I had to stop though, as one day I went to class and found that the club had gone. I mean the entire building had literally disappeared! It must have been demolished but we had no warning or anything. I like to think that it had ‘Shadow stepped’ back in to Tokugawa period. After that I was a bit lost and took up quite a few martial arts but had to train on and off due to ill health. I have trained in European fencing, Shotokan Karate and Iaido. I practice Haidong Gumdo now.

Haiding Gumdo is Korean sword style, founded in the 1980s and based on ancient Korean military systems. During the Korean war, all of the documents were destroyed except one. This is called the Muyedobotongji and contained text on spear and sword techniques. The techniques were battlefield techniques on how to use the sword facing off against many opponents. Through this art, I have learned the Jingum – Korean single edged sword, the twin swords, staff work, breathing exercises and sword drawing techniques. There is a special emphasis on that. We use the swords in forms as well as sparring sets. Haidong Gumdo utilises some empty hand and cutting practices. There is much more to it but these are the main aspects of the art.

Sensei was taught by one of students of Grandmaster Kim, the head of the Haedong Kumdo Association. He (Sensei) is quite strict and is very picky when choosing students. He has to be because if you mess about in another class, you may get a black eye but if you mess about with weapons, you could get seriously injured.

Tell me what challenges you have faced in your training and in your life.

Well, I have been visually impaired every since I can remember. I have never really thought about it as a disability until about four years ago. I was speaking to a friend just in general conversation when they said, “It must be a bit difficult for you because of your disability” I hadn’t really thought about it as that. I can’t make out anyone’s facial features if they stood more than a metre away from me, but when using a sword I could stop the blade just an inch from their skin. I have learned to be more aware of my surroundings. When training, your other senses become more heightened. I don’t think that I would have got to that point (state of mind) without martial arts. I’m a naturally clumsy person and a technology jinx but when I am training (in martial arts) I am very much on the dot. Just by holding my sword, my mind goes to another place. If someone were to watch me going through my moves, they may think it’s a bit of a dance. It has changed the way a walk. I walk softly and tip toe everywhere without realizing. I’ve scared my mum a few times! (laughs) I’ve also had people ask me if I was a dancer or a martial artist. I took this as a complement. I went horse riding before and the instructor commented on my good balance and asked if I was a martial artist.

I would never promote fighting but I feel that it is so important for woman to have some kind of basic self defense. I have been attacked several times in the past by a few men. Some were racial attacks. The (martial arts) mental training had prepared me for that moment and so was able to get away. You must take the first opportunity to get away. ‘The best wars are the ones not fought’.

I’ve had quite a few female friends asking me to teach them self defense. One of the biggest lessons I’ve given is that you should never turn to violence but if you have no other option to defend yourself, do so. Do what you can to get your attacker away from you and get away. Don’t stand around to “finish the job”, as you never know how many friends they have around the corner. Get to safety. Self defense is crucial so I’ve given a couple of lessons just to friends. A few women who had got themselves involved managed to keep themselves safe. Knowing that my friends could do this was very good for me.

Is there anything in Martial Arts that you don’t like?

Politics and corruption. It’s easy these days to go abroad for a week or two and basically buy a black belt. This happens often. If someone trained every day, non-stop, for a few months, it would seem a bit more understandable that they have earned it, but we see people going abroad for a week and returning with a 2nd Dan! Also, a lot of martial arts schools are turned in to a profit orientated business. It goes against what the Martial Arts is. Honour and respect go out of the window, then. Also, I don’t like people from different martial arts putting others styles down.

Who are your influences?

My influences? (Miyamoto) Musashi. He was an eccentric and his methods were odd but it just made him more likable. I’ve read his book of five rings. Hattori Hanzo. Tomore Gozenshe, a female Samurai warrior, something that was extremely rare. I love reading anything by O-Sensei (Aikido’s Morihei Ueshiba) and IP Man. I guess this is the part where I start talking about Bruce Lee? Obviously, he was a great man that started in Wing Chun and later developed his own system. Also, Gichin Funakoshi, the founder of Shotokan. He wasn’t born amazing at Martial arts. He went through journeys. The influences closest to me are my Dad and Sensei.

Have you had any difficulties as a woman practicing martial arts while following the peaceful faith of Islam?

It is true to say that some Middle Eastern cultures still believe that women practicing Martial Arts is a taboo but this is changing. I don’t know if attitudes are developing or just the fact that woman are taking more interest.

I do get a lot of odd looks when walking around Glasgow, especially when I’m training. There is still that stereotype here that women dressed like me should just be in the kitchen. An old instructor of mine used to call me his ‘little ninja girl.’ I didn’t mind because it gave me an advantage. I was taken lightly and I routinely got underestimated, especially when sparring. I remember one male student who was well over 6ft reassured me by saying,

‘Don’t worry. I will go easy on you.’

He soon found himself on the floor.

What do you feel is your best achievement?

I feel like a complete amateur in everything that I do but, I like that feeling of being on the edge of learning. If I were to ask my mum, she would say, ‘Rocket scientist’ but my best achievement was having a part in making my mum smile.

What’s next for you?

I honestly have no clue. I would love to go back to work in the Space Sector when my mum is a bit better. I will never stop learning about Physics and Astronomy or the learning behind it but most importantly, I will always keep martial arts with me.
Links:
1) http://cmanews.net/naziyah-mahmood/
2) https://naziyahmahmood.wordpress.com/
3) https://www.flickr.com/photos/csh223/

Also found her starring in a webseries: http://www.caledoniaseries.co.uk/

zoukka

She should've gamed instead of doing all that fancy stuff. Imagine all the loot she could've gotten in Destiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom