• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC HD Olympics coverage question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

What the hell is going on with NBC's Olympic coverage in high definition? It seems that the HD feed is YESTERDAY'S coverage! Last night, when switching between the NBC SD and HD, the two channels were showing entirely different things...except that I had seen the HD events the night before. On Saturday night, the HD channel seemed to still be showing the opening ceremonies.

Anybody know what the story is?

I don't know. I was wondering the same thing myself saturday night when they had the OC on when the regular channel had swimming. Then last night for like an hour they just lopped this same thing over and over.

The HD channel is NOT simulcasting the over-the-air coverage. The schedule in the USA Today only had two events, swimming and gymnastics I believe. So they're probably just looping those over and over along with that one Sony commercial which is funny only the first 2403 times.

I'm not complaing about the looping...got a chance to catch the end of the opening cermonies again on Saturday night, which still kicked ass the second time around. And from what I read, not having Couric/Costas on the HD coverage was a plus.

quin

NBC has announced that, for the period of the Summer Olympics (August 13 - 30, 2004), the digital version of their broadcast will be replaced entirely with one-day delayed highlights of Olympic competition in high definition (HD). Consumers who have access to this off-air feed will only see a 6- to 8-hour compilation of highlights and will not be able to view the network's same-day, prime-time coverage of the Olympics or other regularly scheduled programming.

The regular NBC programming schedule will return on August 31, 2004.

golem said:
yeah it sucks that nbc cant pull off live HD.. though i guess some hd is better than none

And that's the other catch. You wouldn't see live HD anyways. The major events they're saving for primetime is delayed, so they could sell ad time. So for example, I believe it's Michael Phelps that a major swimmer for the U.S., his events took place in the afternoon on the weekend, but it was still shown that night. The HD channel wouldn't have carried it live either...though it does surprise me that the primetime coverage is not also in HD (maybe it is, I haven't checked).

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
i had the same question the other day, I was pissed when they kept looping the same damn stuff over and over, then that Commercial.... I cant take that commercial anymore.... just the thought alone....

ends self

rastex

Banned
"We brought chips!"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Olympic coverage in Canada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coverage in US

Malleymal said:
i had the same question the other day, I was pissed when they kept looping the same damn stuff over and over, then that Commercial.... I cant take that commercial anymore.... just the thought alone....

ends self

And the guy always looks scared!

rastex said:
"We brought chips!"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Olympic coverage in Canada >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coverage in US

We get the CBC in the Seattle area, which makes me very happy.

davis

NBC kind of sucks yeah its good we are geting any HD coverage but can they at least cut away from something not in mid sentence, they have done this multiple times. I don't care they hype their shows every hour. Also this picture qulaity is not as good as INHD games or many CBSHD shows heck even ESPNHD beats this, when people are standing still its fine but its not the best thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom