• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: Trump Approves Plan to Arm Syrian Kurds

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officials-trump-approves-plan-arm-syrian-kurds-n756886

President Donald Trump has approved a plan to arm the Syrian Kurdish militia — an important U.S. ally in Syria in the fight against ISIS.

The Pentagon said the move is significant because it supports the notion that the Syrian Democratic Force is the fighting force that will eventually go in to Raqqa, a city in Syria's center which has been under ISIS control since 2014. The move also reinforces the idea that the entire Syrian Democratic Force, Syrian Kurds (YPG) and the Syrian Arab Coalition, has the backing of the U.S.

"The (Syrian Democratic Force), partnered with enabling support from U.S. and coalition forces, are the only force on the ground that can successfully seize Raqqa in the near future," chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana White said Tuesday in a statement.

Trump and members of his Cabinet spoke about it during a meeting late Monday at the White House with Secretary of Defense James Mattis joining by video teleconference.

The order has been signed and that "allows the process to begin to function," one official told NBC News. Once the order comes to the Pentagon, the U.S. can begin providing the Syrian Kurds with arms and equipment fairly quickly since some equipment is pre-positioned.

The officials could not say what might flow in first or how it would get there, but among the expected options are:

• Breaching equipment — bulldozers, engineering equipment
  • More effective infantry equipment: rifles, ammunition, armor and communication gear (radios)
The officials said the equipment could be delivered by any number of methods: Ground convoys, C-130s, and air drops are all possible, depending on what the equipment is and the area.

It is unclear whether the U.S. may provide bigger equipment.

The news about the U.S. plan to arm Syrian Kurds comes as the The Trump administration mulls sending as many as 5,000 more troops to Afghanistan, a military official told NBC News, and as the White House makes moves it believe will help American forces "start winning" again in the region.

The Turks will be notified about the decision on arming Syrian Kurdish forces soon and the Pentagon expects a strong reaction. In March, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson traveled to Turkey to meet with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who sees the YPG as terrorists.

Erdogan is expected to travel to Washington D.C. to meet with the president next week — their first face-to-face meeting since Trump took office — and one in which divisions over U.S. support of the Syrian Kurdish militia are likely to be a point of contention.

"We are keenly aware of the security concerns of our coalition partner Turkey," White said in a statement on Tuesday. "We want to reassure the people and government of Turkey that the U.S. is committed to preventing additional security risks and protecting our NATO ally."

Last week, the White House said Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed by phone ways to resolve the Syria crisis — a six year old civil war which has left more than 500,000 civilians dead, displaced millions and drawn international outrage. That conversation included a "discussion of safe, or de-escalation, zones to achieve lasting peace for humanitarian and many other reasons."

If I recall correctly, this was the Obama Administration's plan. They decided to leave it for the next administration to handle.

Iksenpets

Banned
If I recall correctly, this was the Obama Administration's plan. They decided to leave it for the next administration to handle.

I remember hearing that the Trump administration had thrown Obama's plan out pretty much the moment they walked in the door. Guess some of the generals managed to either convince Trump to flip on it, or presented him the plan without Obama's name on it and told him it was new.

Xando

No suprise really. Trump has been arming anti ISIS forces more and more recently aswell as moving more ground forces there.

Even if it's underreported the US is very much involved in the ground war with their own (presumably special forces)aswell as friendly forces.

You're right. Here's a NYT article from September when Obama was still considering it.

Apparently, he consulted the NSC and asked for all options that could accelerate the fight against ISIS. Here's the interesting part: "Mr. Obama has told aides that he wants an offensive well underway before he leaves office that is aimed at routing the Islamic State from Raqqa, the group's de facto capital in northern Syria."

I wonder why this was delayed. Did the Fall of Aleppo complicate things? Not enough time?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I just hope the Kurds get their goddamn Kurdistan this time 'round. They've done the wests' dirty work far too many times not to.

Ithil

I distinctly recall him decrying the practice of arming rebels. Only because Obama was doing it, of course, but still, another about turn.

Valhelm

contribute something
Surprised at this development, but this is good and necessary. The YPG and PKK are one of the most heroic forces for good in the Middle East, and provide some model for future democratic governance.

This will affect the rest of Syria, because a stronger YPG will sway Assad's hand and push toward greater autonomy and democracy.

I distinctly recall him decrying the practice of arming rebels. Only because Obama was doing it, of course, but still, another about turn.

Trump doesn't know shit against Syria but the YPG are not rebels in the traditional sense. They aren't really enemies of Assad, and in the short-term desire autonomy and democracy within the framework of the existing secular government. They've collaborated with the Syrian army pretty extensively in operations against Assad and the rebels backed by Saudi, Turkey, and the US.

I remember hearing that the Trump administration had thrown Obama's plan out pretty much the moment they walked in the door. Guess some of the generals managed to either convince Trump to flip on it, or presented him the plan without Obama's name on it and told him it was new.

The bolded is likely true.

Valhelm

contribute something
Will his supporters approve of this?

Trump supporters online usually hate the YPG for being filthy commies but a handful of alt-right idiots see them as some kind of bulwark against "the spread of Islam"... even though the YPG are overwhelmingly Muslim.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think we'll be seeing a Kurdish state soon, after this whole situation in Syria resolves itself.

It would be well deserved for the Kurds IMO

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Guess some of the generals managed to either convince Trump to flip on it, or presented him the plan without Obama's name on it and told him it was new.

this would be hilarious

so I'm going to believe it until I have reason not to

thefro

You're right. Here's a NYT article from September when Obama was still considering it.

Apparently, he consulted the NSC and asked for all options that could accelerate the fight against ISIS. Here's the interesting part: "Mr. Obama has told aides that he wants an offensive well underway before he leaves office that is aimed at routing the Islamic State from Raqqa, the group’s de facto capital in northern Syria."

I wonder why this was delayed. Did the Fall of Aleppo complicate things? Not enough time?

The SDF are basically slowly encircling Raqqa, Takes a while since they don't have a ton of resources, but they've gained a lot of ground.

That campaign has basically been going on since November, so they met their targets there.

Temascos

Neo Member
I'm not against the Kurds getting their own state (I think a breakup of states based on groups who can self-govern may help to lead to stability, but that's armchair general stuff so I'm likely wrong) but wouldn't this have long term repurcussions if subfactions start going after more vulnerable groups, regardless of their involvement in the current conflict?

Lautaro

I think we'll be seeing a Kurdish state soon, after this whole situation in Syria resolves itself.

It would be well deserved for the Kurds IMO

I can't imagine a Kurdistan rising without a major war that involves all the countries already at war in Syria (especially Turkey).

The Kurds are the only group involved with leaders that aren't either Grade A or Grade A+ scum in my book so fuck it sure.

Much like Palestine they need their own nation.

Much better than the fucks we had been arming which would be a kindler gentler isis if they had much power.

sphagnum

Banned
Arming a Middle-eastern rebel militia? When has that ever backfired?

There is next to a zero percent chance of the Kurds turning into Anti-American Islamist terrorists or whatever. The bigger risk is what happens if they try to push for Kurdistan, which they deserve and would solve a lot of boundary dispute problems, but which would lead to mass casualties from a war to establish it.

Or they could just try to go for regional autonomy like they have in Rojava.

Madness

I just hope the Kurds get their goddamn Kurdistan this time 'round. They've done the wests' dirty work far too many times not to.

Yup. There are four major ethnic, religious, cultural groups that had their own land but are being oppressed. Kurds, Sikhs/Punjabis, Tibetans and Palestinians. These are groups that have large numbers, have had their land taken or occupied, have distinct religions, cusisines, languages, dress, etc. That are not free. One day hopefully they all are.

RinsFury

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officials-trump-approves-plan-arm-syrian-kurds-n756886

Last week, the White House said Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed by phone ways to resolve the Syria crisis — a six year old civil war which has left more than 500,000 civilians dead, displaced millions and drawn international outrage. That conversation included a "discussion of safe, or de-escalation, zones to achieve lasting peace for humanitarian and many other reasons."

In other words Trump called Putin to ask for his approval.

Top Bottom