• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Necro warning - What does that mean?

Most warnings/bans on any forum are subjective. In this case, the mod saw you bumped an aged thread and determined that your post didn't warrant bumping the thread. That's basically it and I wouldn't take it personally or demand they create an ultra specific rule for something that's clearly a judgment call.

D-ray

The thing about automatically locking old topics is that means they can NEVER be posted in again, and sometimes a necro-bump is actually called for, but the standard for a necro bump is much higher than a contemporary post where you can just drive by and say "lol", that behavior in an old thread is pointless and will get you annihilated

edit: for reference https://www.neogaf.com/threads/im-just-gaming-like-a-mad-man.569/
But if people get mad if you necro post anyway, what's the point of keeping them open? Especially if the punishment may even end up in a ban.

D-ray

Most warnings/bans on any forum are subjective. In this case, the mod saw you bumped an aged thread and determined that your post didn't warrant bumping the thread. That's basically it and I wouldn't take it personally or demand they create an ultra specific rule for something that's clearly a judgment call.
I'm not demanding anything don't worry, I just wanted more information in order to avoid causing trouble in the future.
My post was indeed rather pointless, and I deserve the punishment.

But if people get mad if you necro post anyway, what's the point of keeping them open? Especially if the punishment may even end up in a ban.

Because for most threads there may one day be a reason to bump them. On the surface, the "Is Maxwell the most powerful videogame character?" thread you posted in would seem like something that could be safely locked forever, but who knows, maybe one day some famous developer ends up making the same claim or some video gets posted online with Maxwell killing off other game characters with ease.

I'm not demanding anything don't worry, I just wanted more information in order to avoid causing trouble in the future.
My post was indeed rather pointless, and I deserve the punishment.

All good. I've been here forever and the only warning I ever received was for a necro bump. Mine was inappropriate for different reasons.

D-ray

Because for most threads there may one day be a reason to bump them. On the surface, the "Is Maxwell the most powerful videogame character?" thread you posted in would seem like something that could be safely locked forever, but who knows, maybe one day some famous developer ends up making the same claim or some video gets posted online with Maxwell killing off other game characters with ease.
Aah... I see. Well it's pretty risky, but it make sense.

ahtlas7

It's when you make love to a dead body.
GmDfIEJ.jpg

D-ray

I literally answered your question in the post you responded to
I meant the OP getting mad for the necroposting, not the mod. Like, if the OP didn't want to continue receiving notifications for that old post (even if the mod decided that further replies can be worth posting) he would still complain because of necroposting.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I meant the OP getting mad for the necroposting, not the mod. Like, if the OP didn't want to continue receiving notifications for that old post (even if the mod decided that further replies can be worth posting) he would still complain because of necroposting.
Ahh I get you. Totally misread your post

wibago

Banned
Sorry for making a stupid thread like this, but I couldn't find anything well explained on the matter of "necro" on NeoGaf.

I stumbled upon this thread and added a small and pointless (in my opinion) answer, in the hope of receiving an opinion from the OP.
Later on, today, I received a warning for "necro", which I assume is "necroposting".

It makes sense I guess, the thread was from 2017. But since answers could still be posted, I thought nobody would bat an eye.
And I was wrong.

My question is: how do I know when I'm not supposed to post an answer in a thread?
That one was still open for answers, and I got a warning, now I'm afraid of posting in a thread that is not from 2023.
also check out this Best wrestling game. i really enjoyed this game.
Thank you so much, and sorry again for the thread.
Don't worry about it, we all have questions and sometimes it's not clear what the guidelines are in certain online communities. "Necro" or "necroposting" generally refers to reviving or bumping old threads that have been inactive for a long time. Different online forums may have different rules regarding necroposting. To avoid necroposting, it's a good practice to check the date of the original post or last reply before adding a new comment. If a thread has been inactive for a significant amount of time, it's generally better to start a new thread if you have a specific question or topic to discuss. However, if a thread is still open for replies and there is no explicit rule against necroposting in the forum's guidelines, it's reasonable to assume that it's acceptable to add your input. Keep in mind that some users may still find it unnecessary to revive old threads, especially if the discussion has already been resolved or is outdated. To avoid potential issues, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the specific rules and guidelines of the forum you're participating in. Look for any information regarding necro posting or thread revival. If you're uncertain, you can also reach out to the forum moderators or administrators for clarification on their policies. Remember, each online community may have its own unique set of rules and preferences, so it's always a good idea to be mindful of the specific forum's guidelines and the expectations of its members.

Last edited:
Top Bottom