• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help getting back into PlaneScape: Torment

CoolTrick

Banned
I purchased PlaneScape Torment mainly because of GAF hype, but I thouraghly enjoyed Baldur's Gate 2, so I thought I'd give it a try. I was particularly fond of the character interaction aspect of Baldur's Gate, which I knew PlaneScape Torment was heavy on, so I knew I'd like it.
To sum everything up (I don't feel like boring anyone with a large rant), I got a bit past the part where
You meet up with your first party member, that girl.

My problem with the game has been the atmosphere and mood of the game. I found the atmosphere very depressing, one-dimensional, and even bland in the way the theme of death has encompassed all of Sigil. Many of the NPCs I have encountered so far have little depth except for those immidiately relevant to the plot, which means those NPCs I find in the bars or on the streets all seem one-note in their doom and gloom view of the world. It's not the writing I have gripes with (it is by all means fantastic), it is this general theme of the game which is not particularly appealing to want to play through. Sigil is brown, trashy, dirty -- which is fine since that is what the designers were aiming for, but it is difficult to find the drive to explore more since all the new areas seem to be more of the same. The environments are all too much strikingly similar, as opposed to Baldur's Gate 2, with its temples, slums, government districts, and greenery. The game is, in short, tiring, due to these aspects. Sigil is not inviting or the least bit friendly, which is what made exploring Athkatla so fun.

With that said, I do want to get back into the game to complete it, and I would appreciate some motivations to keep going. Does the world get better, and more varied? Does it become more complex, and less doom and gloom? Does the humor remain consistent throughout the game (a definite high point in the writing)?

So you ain't off the first area yet?

When you reach the lower ward you will be glued to your PC.

It's nobody's fault, really, but could serve as evidence for a push to not makes players slogs thru slums and sewers.

Ristamar

The beginning is kinda dry. As ArcadeStickMonk said, once you push a little deeper into the game, it becomes much more captivating.

So are you at the point where Annah has actually joined your party, or have you just met her?

This is an important question, because if it's the former then the game will soon go into overdrive and won't let up.

I find virtually all of BioWare's games fail to hook me early in the game (which is where you are in PS:T). Just keep pushing on. The game gets much more deep, lively, and all around more interesting once it gets going. The humor only improves.

Yeah, the Lower and Upper Ward quests are up next for the thread-starter, beginning with
giving birth to the alley and then the quest to get Morte back.

I want a real Brothel of Intellectual Lusts :(

Top Bottom