• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need work, help me pick a retail (or not) job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter

OK, I'm out of college and am digging around for a full-time career, but while I give myself some time to search (it's a pretty important life decision after all), I need some income.

From other threads on the old GA board, I'll prolly stay away from Best Buy and EB (does anyone enjoy it there?) I'm thinking of looking for openings at video rental stores like Hollywood or Blockbuster's, or maybe places like Staples/OfficeMax. Also looking at getting some web freelance with some friends on the side. Any suggestions? Any decent small-time non-retail possibilities?

don't believe the bad hype about places you might hear around the GAF like Best Buy. If you don't let yourself get TOO involved, i don't see how Best Buy would be any different from any other retail places. My friend works there and hasn't had any problems. I'd much rather work at Best Buy than someplace like Blockbuster, where you'd probably get stuck on the friggin boring ass late night shift and have to work holidays.

yoshifumi

Banned
my friend works at a best buy and he's basically become their total bitch. he works like 60 hour weeks at all hours of the day including overnight.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
There are some huge advantages to working at best buy though. Realize that most electronic equiptment(not DVD's and video games) are hiked up like 500%. My old roommate worked at Best Buy and whenever I needed computer cables, or stereo equipment he would get it at a ridiculously low price.

$20.00 USB cable - $3.00
$25.00 RF Modulator - $7.00
$12.00 Sony Controller Extentions - $1.00

As soon as I get home I'm either looking to work there or at Home Depot for the summer. I know the Depot sux, but I'm on the inside with some managers and friends that work there.

Ripclawe

Banned
Do NOT get into retail, it will save you from hating people for the rest of your life, Retail jobs are evil evil EVIL!

go to a temp agency and see if you can get an office job.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Ripclawe said:
Do NOT get into retail, it will save you from hating people for the rest of your life, Retail jobs are evil evil EVIL!

go to a temp agency and see if you can get an office job.

Agreed.

Grifter

Thanks for all the replies. I've worked plenty of retail/customer service in my life, but you're right. This is a better way. Any good national temp agencies to look at before I start googling?

BlackMage

Banned
DO NOT work at Blockbuster! Do you realize every other person is gonna yell at you for late fees? DO YOU WANT THAT?! It is NOT a chill job.

plus you'll be working for the enemy!!!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Never worked a single day in retail
Telling people what they want to hear
Telling people anything to make a sale
Eating in the food court
With the old and the bored

I think never is enough
Yeah, never is enough
I never have to do that stuff

I think never is enough