• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Gorsuch Speech at Trump Hotel Raises Ethical Questions

This was (quietly) announced and it would be a shame if it dropped off the news cycle.

WASHINGTON — Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, President Trump's Supreme Court appointee, is scheduled to address a conservative group at the Trump International Hotel in Washington next month, less than two weeks before the court is set to hear arguments on Mr. Trump's travel ban.

Stephen Gillers, an expert on legal ethics at New York University, questioned the justice's decision to speak at the hotel, which is at issue in lower-court cases challenging the constitutionality of payments to Mr. Trump's companies.

”At this highly divisive political moment, especially as many Trump decisions are likely soon to reach the court's docket, one just days later, a healthy respect for public confidence in the court should have led Justice Gorsuch to demur," he said.

Justice Gorsuch declined to comment, said Kathleen L. Arberg, the Supreme Court's public information officer.

Experts in legal ethics were divided about whether Justice Gorsuch's appearance at the hotel was appropriate.

More here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/us/politics/gorsuch-speech-trump-hotel-ethics.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Haha, wow. Tone deaf too. And this guy's there for life no matter how much his "boss" screws up.

Raven117

Gold Member
Oh come on.

You are SCOTUS judge Gorsuch, the mere appearance of impropriety is enough to send things skyrocketing at this point.

Idiot.

Shauni

Guy was always going to be a disaster. It was crazy to me that people seemed to think he was going to be alright. Guy's record is terrible and he himself always seemed pretty shady

zelas

FcbbCZB.jpg

Guy was always going to be a disaster. It was crazy to me that people seemed to think he was going to be alright. Guy's record is terrible and he himself always seemed pretty shady

"going to be alright" was always more of a "it clearly could be worse with Trump" position to take.

His appointment to the SC is likely the biggest long term blow to this country, with effects that will ripple into the better half of this century. Fuck this country and especially fuck those that didn't fucking vote.

Shauni

"going to be alright" was always more of a "it clearly could be worse with Trump" position to take.

No, I saw a lot of people argue that he wouldn't be 'that bad' based on his hearings, which went okay in the sense that he didn't say anything utterly ridiculous, and kept to the glib 'I'm a constituentionalist,' and said the Dems messed up by filibustering him. His voting record was always hot garbage, and a lot of things about him didn't sit right.

Kusagari

The guy was always going to be a Scalia level disaster but it's crazy how he's not even trying to hide the fact he's ethically a piece of shit.

M.Bluth

His appointment to the SC is likely the biggest long term blow to this country, with effects that will ripple into the better half of this century. Fuck this country and especially fuck those that didn't fucking vote.

I doubt he's impeachable, but he and all of Trump's appointments should be forced to resign once the cheetomonster is removed by Mueller.

Top Bottom