• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2015 Awards

Danny-Boy

Congratulations Bloodborne! You sit proudly in my top 3 games ever made, alongside The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear Solid 3. What an absolute masterpiece.

So just as an illustration, here's what the most anticipated games thread voted for 2015:

(bold is metacritic score or delay, italics is placement on goty thread list)

1) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Delayed to 2016
2) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - MC 91-95 NeoGAF #3
3) The Legend of Zelda (Wii U) - Delayed to 2016
4) Bloodborne - MC 92 NeoGAF GOTY
5) The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - MC 92-94 NeoGAF #2
6) Persona 5 - Delayed to Summer 2016
7) Xenoblade Chronicles X - MC 84 NeoGAF #11
8) No Man's Sky - Delayed to June 2016
9) Batman: Arkham Knight - MC 70-87 NeoGAF #13
10) The Order: 1886 - MC 63

11) Splatoon - MC 81 NeoGAF #6
12) Rime - Release date unknown
13) Halo 5: Guardians - MC 84
14) Star Wars: Battlefront - MC 72-75
15) Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - MC 69-72
16) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - MC 89
17) Star Fox Zero - Delayed to April 2016
18) Quantum Break - Delayed to 2016
19) Yakuza 5 - MC 83
20) Pillars of Eternity - MC 89 NeoGAF #15

how did the Order get in the top 10 most anticipated games of the year

twice

Top will easily be:
Uncharted 4
Persona 5
Dark souls 3

In no order of course

I find Mass Effect sliding between UC4 and Persona if it actually comes out and its well-received as I think it could be.

I don't think anything could stop UC4 tho, you're right

Hoo-doo

Banned
The only GOTY that matters. What a year it has been.

Glad to see Until Dawn break into the top 10. Such an amazing game that nobody expected to be this good.

Bloodborne did the robbing today.
OGCbPW.gif

tumblr_nyb1tea5Sk1taxqwxo1_500.gif

tumblr_nnskw3yB2d1s3eqy0o1_r1_540.gif

Honestly was not expecting Bloodborne 1st
very pleasent surprise.

Undertale should be higher

Damn I forgot to vote though I agree with Top 2, I have my reservations about MGS V (even though I 100% on PC and PS4, platinum it on PS4 and even play regularly FOB invasions currently I am still disappointed with the game).

Bloodborne is more of an RPG than most modern AAA RPGs.

Tomb Raider had xp,levels as well,guess its an RPG now along with the dozen other games nowadays that feature RPG elements.

Bloodborne has no story choices whatsoever,barely any dialogue.
It's an action game and I still have no idea why people insist on calling it anything else.

Anyway grats to BB! (and LiS/Until Dawn for top 10)

jonno394

Only played three of the top ten games (bloodborne, fallout 4 and the witcher 3). FO4 is probably the only one I actually enjoyed though.

Great work op. Much appreciated.

Luq

i dont really "agree" with 3rd, 7th and 8th picks but otherwise - I'm really proud of Gafers. Very good choices overall!

Tomb Raider had xp,levels as well,guess its an RPG now along with the dozen other games nowadays that feature RPG elements.

It's an action game and I still have no idea why people insist on calling it anything else.

Its almost been a full year people are still mad people call bloodborne an rpg?

Scotch

GAF, as always, has the quintessential GOTY list. Well done lads.

Some of the genre choices struck me as weird by the way. Batman in the adventure category for example.

Tizoc

Only because you've been following GAF all year. A year ago, you didn't even know the name of half of the games in the top 10.

Wait are you talking about me or about you @_@
Cuz I like out-post you by 10:1 :V

On a forum as large as GAF, you really can't expect anything more niche than Bloodborne to take the win, let's be fair. It's always going to be somewhat more niche than most other lists, but only up to a point.

No offense but from my lurkings through GAF these past 2 months, Bloodborne wouldn't be a game I'd call niche >_>

I would have loved to see Yakuza 5 and Axiom Verge a bit higher up but I guess not enough people have actually played them.

I'm of the mindset not enough GAFfers voted it as their #1 XP

UberTag

And Trails in the Sky did not release this year, on any platform
If you really want to be anal, the Sora no Kiseki Evolution remaster for Vita (with trophies) released in Japan in 2015... but I agree that it really shouldn't be on this list and I suspect some of those votes were actually intended for SC.

I think I know what happened with Trails in the Sky. The Evolution version for Vita came out this year, and it's exclusive there.

That still doesn't explain how it got so many votes though.

EDIT Haha beaten by a second :)

I think the votes for all the Trails games should be recounted

Molemitts

Towards the beginning of the year I thought there was no way anything could take over Bloodborne as my GOTY, but Undertale came out of nowhere and did it. I really like both those game and it really took me a while to work out which I preferred, but the more I thought about Undertale the more I loved it.

Anyway, cool people with good taste:

Kriken

While I liked Witcher 3 a lot, Bloodborne is still a fantastic game and either would have been deserving of the top spot, so I can't complain. Glad to see GAF say Splatoon was better than Mario Maker, that game deserves some credit

Now for people who are cool with me
1. ShockingAlberto (119) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191174495&postcount=1933
2. Vampirolol (114) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191185623&postcount=1939
3. Juke Joint Jezebel (112) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190809768&postcount=1501
4. Doctor Ninja (110) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190626732&postcount=1310
5. Forkball (101) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192427998&postcount=2478
5. Knox (101) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192141407&postcount=2430
5. Linkyn (101) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190023263&postcount=94
5. Mr. Poolman (101) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190728977&postcount=1441
9. Lingitiz (100) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192587567&postcount=2584
9. Paulee (100) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190174437&postcount=928

And what I should look into soon

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190020303&postcount=14
1. [PS4] Bloodborne (RPG) = 17 points
2. [PS4][PC] Rocket League (Sports) = 11 points
3. [NWU] Xenoblade Chronicles X (RPG) = 8 points
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Life Is Strange (Adventure) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
5. [PC] Pillars of Eternity (RPG) = 3 points
6. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Action) = 3 points
7. [XB1][PS4][PC] Batman: Arkham Knight (Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
8. [NWU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Platform) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
9. [PSV][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Grim Fandango Remastered (Adventure) = 2 points
10. [PS4][PC] Axiom Verge (Adventure) = 2 points
11. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Transformers: Devastation (Action) = 2 points
12. [XB1][PS4] Rock Band 4 (Rhythm) = 2 points
13. [NWU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Puzzle) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention
14. [XB1] Rise of the Tomb Raider (Adventure) = 1 point
15. [XB1][PS4][PC] Fallout 4 (RPG) = 1 point
16. [PS4] Until Dawn (Horror) = 1 point
17. [PS4][PC] Soma (Horror) = 1 point
18. [PC] Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (Strategy) = 1 point
19. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Dragon Ball XenoVerse (Fighting) = 1 point
20. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (Adventure) = 1 point
21. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC][AND] Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (Action) = 1 point
22. [IOS][AND] Pac-Man 256 (Action) = 1 point
23. [PC] Jotun (Action) = 1 point
24. [PC] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (MMO) = 1 point
25. [NWU] Fast Racing Neo (Racing) = 1 point
26. [3DS] Nintendo Badge Arcade (Puzzle) = 1 point
27. [XB1][PS4][PC] Star Wars Battlefront (Shooter) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
28. [XB1] Halo 5: Guardians (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
29. [PC][IOS] Her Story (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
30. [XB1][PSV][PS4][PC] Nuclear Throne (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
31. [PC][IOS] Contradiction - Spot The Liar! (Adventure) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
32. [NWU] Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 (Racing) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
33. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
34. [PS4][PC] Galak-Z: The Dimensional (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

FWIW, Talos isn't a download only title. It released in 2015 on PS4 and had a physical version.
(I assume it was not in the puzzle top because it was a rerelease)

Impressive speed.

Some small nitpicks:
Elliot Quest, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and Shadow Complex Remastered don't show up in the list despite getting more than 2 votes.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase Plus was also released on PC as Sayonara Umihara Kawase

Re: Genres

We don't (and can't) play every game. Games are generally multi-genre these days, using elements of all types. It's exceedingly difficult to pin down some games into one genre bucket. So we have to go based on web documentation, etc. We didn't come up with the genres ourselves, in other words. These are genres you see on wikipedia, steam, metacritic, and so on.

During voting, you can always see what genre we've associated with each on the spreadsheet and if you have a massive problem with something, you can PM us.

Anyway, something to consider for next year :)

so?

Catvoca

Banned
Great to see Steins;Gate get 90 points. I only put it as an honorable mention since it technically came out in English last year, but it is without a doubt my favourite thing In played in the last 12 months

ohlawd

nice list, GAF. three of my votes made it in our top 20.

cool people list

I only really know Ondore (CanadaGAF) and Thoraxes (music dude, also one of my fave posters on the site <3). I recognize m0t0k1, random25, OrbitalMatrix, Lunar15, Prinny, and Venfayth. brau, Ghostage, where you guys at.

I went half-hipster, man. I'm only on m0t0k and Sammy's list. but that's ok cuz Sammy has better taste than the rest of y'all

rec list, one of the things I really like about these GotY threads is the rec list and how I'm going to say no to almost of them

1. [PS4] Bloodborne (RPG) = 16 points no
2. [NWU] Splatoon (Shooter) = 10 points have it, it's ok
3. [NWU] Super Mario Maker (Platform) = 8 points no
4. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (Action) = 6 points no
5. [PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (RPG) = 4 points finished
6. [PC] Undertale (RPG) = 4 points on the list
7. [XB1][PC] Ori and the Blind Forest (Platform) = 4 points on the list
8. [PS4][PC] Rocket League (Sports) = 4 points if it ever ends up on GwG
9. [XB1][PS4][PC] Fallout 4 (RPG) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention on the list
10. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (Strategy) = 3 points no
11. [PS4] Until Dawn (Horror) = 3 points no
12. [3DS] Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Strategy) = 3 points stopped halfway
13. [PS3][PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (RPG) = 2 points no
14. [PC] D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (Adventure) = 2 points finished
15. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Adventure) = 2 points have it, no interest in playing
16. [XB1][PS4][PC] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Shooter) = 2 points no
17. [PSV][PS4] Super Time Force Ultra (Shooter) = 2 points finished
18. [PS3][PS4][PC] Tales of Zestiria (RPG) = 2 points no
19. [WII][NWU][3DS] Rodea the Sky Soldier (Action) = 2 points CE still sealed
20. [PC] Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (Strategy) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention no
21. [PSV] Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention no
22. [PS4][PC] Axiom Verge (Adventure) = 1 point, 1 honorable mention no
23. [PS3] Yakuza 5 (Action) = 1 point no
24. [PS3][PSV] SteinsGate (Adventure) = 1 point sealed CE on PC
25. [PS3][PS4][PC] Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward (MMO) = 1 pointno

kpaadet

Didn't know RPGs were defined by story choices and having lots of dialog lol.

>= 50% Microsoft Exclusive: 0.1904762% (3)
>= 80% Microsoft Exclusive: 0% (0)
100% Microsoft Exclusive: 0% (0)

>= 50% Sony Exclusive: 7.047619% (111)
>= 80% Sony Exclusive: 1.904762% (30)
100% Sony Exclusive: 1.714286% (27)

You know, gaf, we really are the Sony-GAF ;)

brau

nice list, GAF. three of my votes made it in our top 20.

cool people list

I only really know Ondore (CanadaGAF) and Thoraxes (music dude, also one of my fave posters on the site <3). I recognize m0t0k1, random25, OrbitalMatrix, Lunar15, Prinny, and Venfayth. brau, Ghostage, where you guys at.

I went half-hipster, man. I'm only on m0t0k and Sammy's list. but that's ok cuz Sammy has better taste than the rest of y'all

rec list, one of the things I really like about these GotY threads is the rec list and how I'm going to say no to almost of them

no

does this mean im... popular!!?

haha.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Didn't know RPGs were defined by story choices and having lots of dialog lol.

What would you say defines an RPG then?

I do find it funny that people shout about how great the action is in Bloodborne, but it wins an award for games that are generally praised on their writing.

Top Bottom