• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGeo CD Replica pad for PS2. Anyone know where I can buy one?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1104977540-3.jpg

A nearly exact replica of the original NeoGeo CD gamepad, that comes with KOF '94 Rebout for the PS2. Only this time has the VERY useful addition of two extra face buttons that resemble the Saturn pad.

I've got a serious hard on for this gamepad and in my opinion the original had the best D-pad ever for Neo Geo fighting games. This new pad would be a DREAM on Mame and Kawax via a psx to pc converter! Or how about an xbox?

So anyway I am interested in buying one sperately. Anyone know anywhere I can buy it without buying KOF 94?

Also, what do you think is the better pad, this one or the six button Saturn replica USB pad that comes with Puyo Puyo Fever?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
It's better than the Saturn pad. It's the "clicky stick" that does it! :D The buttons are smaller than the original Neo Geo pad, but it works great and playing Capcom games with a Neo-Geo controller is weird, but works so damn well.

I read that SNK plans to sell the controller on its own, but no date has been given yet. The controller comes in its own box separate from KOF '94 Rebout, BTW, so it should definitely be coming sooner or later.

CO_Andy

I've never played an actual NeoGeo, but would you guys say this pad iz better for fighters than Nuby's SFAnniversary controller?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
My god. I remember owning two of these glorious devices in my youth. The best d-pad thingamy EVAR!

WHERE can I buy them?

Please deliver us unto a link.

FortNinety said:
BTW, how is KOF Rebout anyhow?
HARD. But I think it is the best looking 2D sprites I have seen. There is not one pixel, if SNK keeps up that quality nothing can compare.

The End

Spazbiohaz said:
HARD. But I think it is the best looking 2D sprites I have seen. There is not one pixel, if SNK keeps up that quality nothing can compare.

Better than GGX2?

0.o

vesuvious

Banned
Spazbiohaz said:

Does anyone know if Rebout is coming to the US?

Lyte Edge

Spazbiohaz said:

HARD?? N00B!! :lol

The sprites in Rebout look very nice. They are the original sprites, but with touched-up/redone faces and a new filtering technique done to them to make them high-res. But keep in mind that Rebout is still KOF '94. It is NOT a remake of the game, so the animation is exactly the same from 1994. In other words, you have these nice-looking sprites animating like crap. :/

New features to the game are 3D backgrounds (you can also choose the original 2D backgrounds), team edit mode, Rugal and Saishyu (from '95) added as playable characters, color edit, and some new survival modes. The game also has a brand new animated intro, and two mini-movies about the storylines of KOF '94-'97 and '99-2001. There's also online play, but before you get excited...it's for Japan only. You might be able to get on anyway, but they charge a monthly fee to play online.

IMO the hardest thing about KOF '94 are some of the super move input motions, and SNK added a button that does them automatically, which works great. :)

Here's some pics I captured of the game:

kensoulucky7xg.jpg

maitakuma0kd.jpg

kyoandy5jy.jpg

I wish SNK had done the high-res sprite filtering to KOF 2003. It also got new 3D backgrounds, a brand new arranged soundtrack, a classic KOF 3-on-3 mode, and other features added, but the sprites aren't enhanced.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Damn. I am so pumped to get this gamepad, but man, talk about a disc that gonna turn into a major dust collector! I cant even play it cuz my PS2 aint modded :( Ebay it I guess? *shrug*

Lyte Edge

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Ooooookay

Older SNK games had some difficult timing for some of the super moves. The extra button is a nice addition. SNK improved things a lot in '95.

Also "Hard" refers to A.I. difficulty, not game play. :p

boutrosinit

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Certainly it didn't have 6 buttons then, why would it have six buttons now? The stick they are putting out does not.

I am aware of this.

I'm glad for the six buttons and you're wrong about the stick. It does have four additional buttons, but they are on the side of the classic four button setup.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
isamu, drive down to Game Star in Montery Park, aka Japanvideogames.com

ngp2.jpg

They have it for $49.99 standalone if you don't want to buy it with KOF. I haven't been to the store in a while.

isamu

Defensor said:

ngp2.jpg

They have it for $49.99 standalone if you don't want to buy it with KOF. I haven't been to the store in a while.

WHAT WHAT WHAT

That was my stooooore man! Jim was my homie. Haven't been down there in years! He's the one that hooked me up with Tao(MAS) and my first SuperGun. So they have it alone for $50? Damn...sold like a muthafucka.

Major props for the heads up dude. :)

Lyte Edge

$49.99 for the pad by itself is ridiculous, Isamu. KOF '94 Rebout by itself is only about $20-$25 cheaper than it is with the controller included.

You can see on the Japanvideogames.com site that the standard Rebout is $70 and the premium pack is currently going for $95.

boutrosinit said:
you're wrong about the stick. It does have four additional buttons, but they are on the side of the classic four button setup.
For what it's worth I wasn't wrong about the stick. I knew of those four slivers, but they're not exactly arcade play buttons now are they?

boutrosinit

ArcadeStickMonk said:
For what it's worth I wasn't wrong about the stick. I knew of those four slivers, but they're not exactly arcade play buttons now are they?

not unless you have fingers like spider's legs.

isamu

Defensor said:

ngp2.jpg

Won't be long before I pick mine up from JVG! :rock: :fudance:

isamu

Defensor said:

ngp2.jpg

I wanna give mad, MAD props to Defensor for hooking me up with the Gamestar tip! I wen down there today and picked it up for $43 flat! I just took it out the box just to feel it but haven't plugged it in yet. The pad itself feels orgasmic in my hands!!!

Impressions later..........

DJ_Tet

Banned
definitely post some impressions

I need a good PS2 compatible pad for emus as well. My DS controller works great, for 3-d games, but it would be nice to have a GOOD pad to play these arcade classics.

bjork

isamu said:
I wanna give mad, MAD props to Defensor for hooking me up with the Gamestar tip! I wen down there today and picked it up for $43 flat! I just took it out the box just to feel it but haven't plugged it in yet. The pad itself feels orgasmic in my hands!!!

Impressions later..........

is the front of the store still filled with cardboard boxes?

belgurdo

Banned
Defensor said:

ngp2.jpg

Goddamnit, STOP IT

i already have a storage box full of controllers, don't make me get another one to feed my compulsion :lol

Fongul

Better yet, Play-Asia has the KOF 94 Rebout Premium Pack in-stock for $49.90 which you can click here for. The Premium Pack also comes with a 80 page reference book...

There's also a special Darkstalkers edition Sega Saturn Pad that will be available next week as well (it's purple instead of black.

isamu

O.K. I just got back from a few rounds with the pad, in Samurai Shodown and SFA2. The D-pad fucking rocks. Best D-pad in the history of D-pads.Gen-an's fire roll for example, comes out almost everytime! Aaaaand, I'm on Kaillera....playing from WORK!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

When you got a job kicking back and you can mess around on your new laptop and play fools on kaillera via the free wifi hotspot right outside, j00 gotta......

DJ_Tet

Banned
The pad looks thin.

Have you had any hand cramping?

I can't tell the size of it, is it SNES size or something bigger?

I've had some bigger pads that were pretty skinny, and they got uncomfortable over time.

isamu

DJ_Tet said:
The pad looks thin.

Have you had any hand cramping?

I can't tell the size of it, is it SNES size or something bigger?

I've had some bigger pads that were pretty skinny, and they got uncomfortable over time.

It's like medium size. About the size of a US saturn pad. Haven't had any hand cramping at all so far.

Fongul

Play-Asia just knocked down the price of the KOF 94 Premium Package to $39.95, which you can click on here

I finally broke down and picked one up (along with a long sought out GC Component Cable...wooo boy!)

Lyte Edge

Fongul said:
Play-Asia just knocked down the price of the KOF 94 Premium Package to $39.95, which you can click on here

I finally broke down and picked one up (along with a long sought out GC Component Cable...wooo boy!)

Damn, that's a good price. Isamu got ripped man! :lol

Makes me want to order the package again; wouldn't mind a second Neo CD controller.

isamu

Thats a good price but it's all good. I'd of never played KOF 94 anyway.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd love to have one of these for Xbox, for when SNK releases their KOF and SS ports...

Baron

Thought I'd post in this thread rather than start a new one.

I bought one of these pads last week - I mainly play 'shmups' (hate that moniker) and IMO the stock PSX pad is woefully inadequate for the quick, accurate movements needed for the manic nature of shmups. I have owned an old ASCII pad for years that had what thought was a decent dpad - better than the stock pad for sure...but it was giving me problems while playing Raiden recently. I figured the clicky-stick on this pad would be a fine alternative...and it is, but the pad has its shortcomings.

For shooters requiring multiple button use, for example, R-Type Delta, I was screwed - the buttons lack any tactile differences between one another, making it difficult to find a particular button by touch. I was constatntly pressing the end 2 of the 6 buttons, buttons not tied to any function, and I had trouble with this. If you can get over this, the fluid pad is really great, though.

Baron

Can anyone tell me if the stick on this pad is analog or digital? I can't tell, as I've only played it with games that use digital control so far, i.e. older PSX shooters.

Top Bottom