• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Lands Emma Stone, Jonah Hill, Cary Fukunaga Series ‘Maniac’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armadilo

Banned
Article

emma-stone-jonah-hill.jpg

After being pitched around town just last week, the streaming giant has nabbed “Maniac,”
the Cary Fukunaga-directed series starring Emma Stone and Jonah Hill with a 10-episode straight-to-series order, sources tell Variety.

The dark comedy is about a guy who lives a fantasy life in his dreams, but in reality, is locked up at an institution. Both Hill and Stone will play patients in the institution.

Hill, Stone and Fukunaga will all serve as exec producers on the series, along with Anonymous Content’s Michael Sugar and Doug Wald, plus co-exec producer Ashley Zalta.
“Maniac” marks Hill and Stone’s series regular TV debuts, plus their first time producing scripted television.
The two Oscar nominees first teamed together in 2007 comedy movie “Superbad.”

Ridley327

Premise doesn't sound all that interesting, but Fukunaga is a cool director, and Stone and Hill made for a fun pair in Superbad. Hopefully one of those things where the execution raises the material.

Merguson

Banned
How many tv series does Netflix currently have in the works? It seems like a lot lately. They announced a new show with Olyphant and Barrymore last week.

How do they compare with traditional broadcasters in terms of tv shows?

Alphahawk

How many tv series does Netflix currently have in the works? It seems like a lot lately. They announced a new show with Olyphant and Barrymore last week.

I would imagine that the fact that people binge watch these shows increases the number they can put out. Like if you were just a casual viewer of an ABC show you'd have to wait for a few months at minimum to watch all the episodes, with Netflix you could potentially watch it all in a day. This makes it less of a commitment for both fans and Netflix itself.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
In for Stone and Fukunaga.

Execution is what matters with a premise like this (with anything, really), so I'll definitely give it a chance.

harSon

Banned
I said it before, but I'm conflicted. Fukanaga is among my favorite directors working today, and has been for a while. Jonah Hill and Emma Stone ain't shit though.

Aurongel

I said I was over it but God dammit I'm still pissed Fukunaga's adaptation of Stephen King's IT fell through.

On topic: sounds interesting but that setup is pretty overdone.

Netflix buys shows based on the viewing habits of their subscribers. Since they don't have to worry about advertisers and appeasing the FCC (to an extent, think profanity) it's a lot easier for them to throw things at the wall and see what sticks.

Do you think they commissioned those Sandler films because of his success over the last five years? Pretty good chance their data showed a large viewership for his movies overall.

I, and everyone else for sure, would love to know their metrics and data services.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fukanaga is one of the two best new directors... but the premise and the actors just don't pull me in. But I'm in, as of now he is 3/3

Netflix buys shows based on the viewing habits of their subscribers. Since they don't have to worry about advertisers and appeasing the FCC (to an extent, think profanity) it's a lot easier for them to throw things at the wall and see what sticks.

Do you think they commissioned those Sandler films because of his success over the last five years? Pretty good chance their data showed a large viewership for his movies overall.

I, and everyone else for sure, would love to know their metrics and data services.

They revealed that when they made the deal. Sandler was the most watched actor on Netflix and had appeal for every age group worldwide.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Would rather see Emma and Jonah in a comedy...but I'll take Superbad 2 anyway I can get it

Aiii

So not worth it
Two great actors, along with a great showrunner.

I don't see any way this could be anything but great.

And I just jinxed it.

Calvero

Banned
The dark comedy is about a guy who lives a fantasy life in his dreams, but in reality, is locked up at an institution. Both Hill and Stone will play patients in the institution.

It's like one of them fanfics for shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom