• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Air-Fueled battery could store 10 times more power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

airbatterygraphic_610x431.jpg

A new type of air-fueled battery being studied could provide up to 10 times the energy storage of designs currently available, and someday be used to power electric cars, mobile phones, and laptops, say researchers.

"Our results so far are very encouraging and have far exceeded our expectations," said professor Peter Bruce, of the University of St Andrews' chemistry department, in a news release Monday.

The new idea the researchers are examining is to replace the lithium cobalt oxide electrode in today's rechargeable lithium batteries with a porous carbon electrode. This allows lithium ions and electrons in the cell to react instead with oxygen in the ambient air, according to a press release from the U.K.'s Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, which finances the research conducted at the University of St. Andrews in Scotland. The project has received about 1.6 million British pounds ($2.4 million) from the EPSRC.

According to the researchers, the new design could potentially improve the performance of portable electronic devices and provide a big boost to the renewable-energy industry. The researchers see a scenario in which the batteries will enable a constant electrical output from sources such as wind or solar. Also the STAIR (St. Andrews Air) cell could help power electric cars.

The STAIR cell is expected to be cheaper than rechargeable batteries of today, the researchers said. The new component is made of porous carbon, which is much less expensive than the lithium cobalt oxide it would be replacing.

"The key is to use oxygen in the air as a reagent, rather than carry the necessary chemicals around inside the battery," Bruce said.

The four-year research project began two years ago and is scheduled to end in June 2011. Bruce expects it will be at least five years before the STAIR cell is commercially available.

So maybe by 2020 we'll finally have a major leap in battery technology? Are there any other compelling battery technologies on the horizon?

I've forgotten nearly all of my chemistry, so I could be completely wrong here, but all I see in that press release is a design for smaller, lighter and less expensive batteries.

It's awesome and will allow for a greater capacity / size ratio than currently available, but "air-fuelled" implies that air itself provides the energy being converted here, which is certainly not the case.

EDIT:

Before you lot get too excited, what they've done is find a way to store power without using an expensive chemical found in modern batteries. This battery is NOT powered by air. The journalist who wrote the story likely knows nothing about science and wrote a catchy, but misleading headline.

Kevin

-Will Never Come Out-

If I had a dime for every new "battery breakthrough" I heard about that never comes out then I would be a rich man. :lol

Juice

Can't wait until every device and vehicle on the planet has one and we run out of oxygen

Edit: I knew I was beaten before I posted it. Was too busy trademarking Oxygen Crisis '49.

Yeah, batteries have been the weak links in alot of tech today. Laptops, mobiles, cars, bicycles, robots, robotic walkers so anyone who can revolutionize battery tech will be stinking rich.

SRG01

I believe one of them was using silicon nanowires as an electrode to increase energy density. I think it was mentioned a few posts above with the nanowire batteries.

KRS7

Green Biker Dude said:
Couldn't this be a problem, since we'd run out of Oxygen?

First off, there is more than enough oxygen. Second, I would assume that if it consumes oxygen when generating power, it would release oxygen when you recharge it.

Pimpbaa

KRS7 said:
First off, there is more than enough oxygen. Second, I would assume that if it consumes oxygen when generating power, it would release oxygen when you recharge it.

WAIT don't, we and animals use up oxygen when we breath?! Oh god, we are gonna run out of oxygen! Can't breath....feeling faint.....

It really feels like whilst the hardware is moving radically forward battery tech is going nowhere. Every new mobile i've owned has pretty much had worse and worse battery life. Any advances here would be most welcome.

Squeak

New technology always seems to be five to ten years away, and then we never hear about it again. Successful tech seem to be something that just pops up, and becomes an instant hit. Or something that progressively and slowly evolves.

devilhawk

Squeak said:
New technology always seems to be five to ten years away, and then we never hear about it again. Successful tech seem to be something that just pops up, and becomes an instant hit. Or something that progressively and slowly evolves.
That's not true. You have to remember the source and current state of the findings. This article, for example, was written about a researcher at a university. This is much different than a giant corporation's R&D process where development of a product is immediate. Academia is typically more cutting edge and abstract and yet more open about its discoveries. Most major successful technologies have significant buildup time, you just don't notice that.

Timedog said:
how do you get the air to the other chemicals without spilling?
The porous carbon lattice is a solid. The air diffuses through it as a gas would through any solid.

You'd be surprised to find how difficult it is to keep lighter gases inside solid containers due to this effect. Helium and Hydrogen, for instance, require containers with really thick walls to contain them, and even then, you're going to have to accept some loss due to diffusion to the atmosphere.

Averon

Why does it seem like battery technology is holding everything back? From electric cars to solar to more powerful handheld electronics, batteries are the common thing that's the biggest hurdle for all those technologies to really break through. Is building a better battery that hard?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Wow.

that makes like half a dozen people somehow on the exact same path to the next super battery.

xabre

Banned
eznark said:
Phoenix, can you provide a link to the article please.

Someone doesn't believe you OP. They think you made the story up. Did you make it up? Batteries running off of air sounds pretty far fetched doesn't it?

eznark

Banned
xabre said:
Someone doesn't believe you OP. They think you made the story up. Did you make it up? Batteries running off of air sounds pretty far fetched doesn't it?

Actually I want to forward it on to an acquaintance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom