• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New generation means new king of fighting games

Each console generation has introduced a new king of fighters. Let's look back at the past dominant fighting games of each era.

SNES/Genesis Era: Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat
PSX/N64/Saturn Era: Tekken
Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XBox: Soul Calibur
XBox 360/PS3/Revolution: ???????????

SNES/Genesis Era: Street Fight and Mortal Kombat -- Ok.
PSX/N64/Saturn Era: Tekken - no.
Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/XBox: Soul Calibur -- No.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe he means sales wise?

Also, you want us to speculate about the next "king of fighting games" that likely hasn't even been announced yet?

NintendosBooger said:
Each console generation has introduced a new king of fighters. Let's look back at the past dominant fighting games of each era.

Did you ever play VF2?

The list is based on the sales + recognition of the titles more than anything else. But what was wrong with Tekken 3? That was the best fighter I played during that era, and I've played them all, including VF2.

Doube D

Fight Night or another semi realistic figher. Enough w/ all these uber arcade fighters (including VF). I for one would love nothing more than a real sim style fighter.

aoi tsuki

NintendosBooger said:
The list is based on the sales + recognition of the titles more than anything else. But what was wrong with Tekken 3? That was the best fighter I played during that era, and I've played them all, including VF2.
How are we going to predict what the new "king of fighting games" will be for next generation based on sales and recognition?

aoi tsuki said:
How are we going to predict what the new "king of fighting games" will be for next generation based on sales and recognition?

When has the lack of tangible information stopped us from doing that? :lol

Screw this - Virtua Fighter is the reigning champ. In 1995 and in 2005.

Tekken is to VF, what MK is to Street Fighter.

I expect this trend to continue, and Lucasfilm fankids will no doubt gravitate to the antics of Soul Calibur, which at the very least is a better game than Tekken.

NintendosBooger said:
The list is based on the sales + recognition of the titles more than anything else.

NintendosBooger said:
But what was wrong with Tekken 3? That was the best fighter I played during that era, and I've played them all, including VF2.

I would have to respectfully disagree. Tekken 3 was shit compared to VF2. Virtua Fighter 2 had it all: Incredible depth, balanced game mechanices, extremely impressive graphics, varied characters with different fighting styles, and beautiful levels.

Tekken 3 was more of the same. Most hidden characters were clones, and two of the fighters hurt the balance of the game (Eddy Gordo and Hwarang (sp?)). The fighting mechanics were flawed, I honestly couldn't tell a novice player from an expert one. Tekken 3 did nothing to the genre.

It was a fun game, and I really liked the PSX port (I still have it). However, the Tekken series were never in the same league as the VF games, which were revolutionary. Each VF game improved substantially from its prequel (yes even VF3) and inspired countless elements in other fighting games.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Screw this - Virtua Fighter is the reigning champ. From 1993 to 2005.

Tekken is to VF, what MK is to Street Fighter.

I expect this trend to continue, and Lucasfilm fankids will no doubt gravitate to the antics of Soul Calibur, which at the very least is a better game than Tekken.

Fixed. :D

ote4_l.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I've found that most people hold Virtua Fighter 4 in very high regard. So yeah, we'll probably see one of Namco's games take the fighter crown next generation, if that's not already the case.

kIdMuScLe

wtf??!!!11!! NO Clayfighter love? even is pinnacle game "Clayfighter 63 1/2" was the best in the 32/64bit era!! man i fuckin swear.......

NintendosBooger said:

You are WRONG sir!

SNES/Genesis era: Street Fighter 2
PSX/N64/Saturn Era: Street Fighter 3 (arcade)
DC/PS2/Xbox/GC: Street Fighter 3 (DC/PS2/Xbox)
Revolution/PS3/X360: Street Fighter Anniversary (backwards compatible on PS3)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
god

must we have t his discussion again?

VF>* and if you dont know why then just go somewhere and educate yourself.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
G-Fex said:
the only king is KOF.

Let me add my agreement with this statement and also an early "SHUT THE HELL UP MOX" before he enters this thread :D

Really, we've seen new versions of the more popular fighting games from every company EXCEPT Capcom. What happened, Capcom? You suck now. :(

Alex

I second Smash Bros, which remains the perfect fighter for my little group. It's also the perfect, and possibly only example of the Nintendo "everyone" mantra being put to truly excellent use. Easy to pick up n' play, challenging to master, and SSB:M is the fucking content king.

Of course, it might be easier for those with a crew of fighting game nerds to actually dig into these, but I can hardly bring MYSELF to spend any time learning the ins and outs of the ridiculous movesets and commands for the Viruta Fighters and Tekkens, let alone convincing friends.

I guess it just boils down to playing > practicing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ArcadeStickMonk said:
The fighting genre isn't supposed to be dependant on console generations. That simply wasn't God's plan.

when you are right, you are right! :lol

Alex said:
I second Smash Bros, which remains the perfect fighter for my little group. It's also the perfect, and possibly only example of the Nintendo "everyone" mantra being put to truly excellent use. Easy to pick up n' play, challenging to master, and SSB:M is the fucking content king.

Of course, it might be easier for those with a crew of fighting game nerds to actually dig into these, but I can hardly bring MYSELF to spend any time learning the ins and outs of the ridiculous movesets and commands for the Viruta Fighters and Tekkens, let alone convincing friends.

Learning comes from practice, and the unwillingness to learn is very apparent here.

To say Smash Bros. is "challenging to master" while calling VF movesets "ridiculous" is a grave disservice. (I haven't been into Tekken since 2, so I wouldn't know about that one.) It's easy to forget how many moves Smash Bros. characters actually have. The inclusion of items and often-dynamic playing fields quickly brings Smash Brothers' gameplay up to the same level of ridiculousness. Mastering Smash Bros., even without the items, utilizes a lot (if not all) of the same skills that are required to master any decent fighting game. Unless there's a different connotation to mastering Smash Bros. than the norm, I conclude your problem with VF/Tekken is more a superficial one.

sly

Banned
NintendosBooger said:

Hmmmm, NO! :lol

Alex said:

This forum needs a huge rolls eyes smiley.

Shinobi

Ninja Scooter said:
You are WRONG sir!

SNES/Genesis era: Street Fighter 2
PSX/N64/Saturn Era: Street Fighter 3 (arcade)
DC/PS2/Xbox/GC: Street Fighter 3 (DC/PS2/Xbox)
Revolution/PS3/X360: Street Fighter Anniversary (backwards compatible on PS3)

:lol

8 bit era: Street Fighter 1...though for me it was all about those cool C64 fighters like Barbarian, Way of the Exploding Fist and IK+. Also can't forget Ye Aire Kung Fu, which might've inspired Street Fighter (not sure on that one though).

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I'll never see the supposed "fun" in SSB:M.

Could be down to the fact it's near impossible sitting a group of male 20-somethings in a room and trying to get them to play with characters they've long since forgotten or stopped caring about with gameplay that can only be described as messy and chaotic... :(

Drek

The fighting genre is in desperate need of a new king I'd say. We're still playing games that are basically 2.5D. Bushido Blade was a rare attempt at something new, but Square has apparently shelved that series. Fight Night is doing some interesting stuff with Total Control too.

KingJ2002

SNES/Genesis Era:

Street Fighter 2

PSX / N64 / Saturn Era:

Virtua Fighter 2
Tekken 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Dreamcast / PS2 / Gamecube / Xbox:

Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned
Tekken 5
Fatal Fury: Mark Of The Wolves
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

Xbox 360 / PS3 / Revolution: (No Need For The Question Marks)

Virtua Fighter 5
Dead Or Alive 4 (If the improvements are real... yeah... it's gonna be really good)

Jewbacca

Banned
I agree with above however replace SF3 with DoA and slash off Fatal Fury.

Though they are great games they are mearly unaccounted for spooge in gaming history. :)

sly

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
SNES/Genesis Era:

Street Fighter 2

PSX / N64 / Saturn Era:

Virtua Fighter 2
Tekken 3
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Dreamcast / PS2 / Gamecube / Xbox:

Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned
Tekken 5
Fatal Fury: Mark Of The Wolves
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike

Xbox 360 / PS3 / Revolution: (No Need For The Question Marks)

Virtua Fighter 5
Tekken 6
Soul Calibur IV
KI3

Fixed. I don't see how DOA4 will be one of the best fighters next-gen. :lol

"The fighting genre is in desperate need of a new king I'd say. We're still playing games that are basically 2.5D. Bushido Blade was a rare attempt at something new, but Square has apparently shelved that series."

Played VF4 yet? It puts lateral movement above jumping.

Shinobi

Drek said:
The fighting genre is in desperate need of a new king I'd say. We're still playing games that are basically 2.5D. Bushido Blade was a rare attempt at something new, but Square has apparently shelved that series. Fight Night is doing some interesting stuff with Total Control too.

Virtual On remains one of the few true 3D fighters ever made. Would be nice if it got one more sequel, but from all accounts they've retired that kick ass series.

Top Bottom