• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Iwata interview

cja

Most of the interview goes over old ground but still a worthwhile read imho.

Things that I noted:

1) Negotiating with western developers over possible game tie-ups ala Hudson for Mario Party and Namco for Donkey Konga.
2) Iwata is again rebuking the idea that DS is a replacement for either of Nintendo's existing formats.
3) Some roundabout figures for game development including Iwata obviously liking the <$1m Made in Wario for GC.
4) Using the failure of Everybodys Golf online from Sony to vindicate Nintendo's online position .
5) Dismissing comparisons between PSP and DS saying it's the equivalant of comparing PSX to GameCube.

Pursuing Simplicity is the Key for Game Software Development

Iwata Satoru, president of major Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co., said in a recent interview that his company would soon release new versions of its hit software titles such as Mario and Pocket Monsters (Pokemon). He also said Nintendo would market by the end of this year a new portable game machine, code-named Nintendo DS (dual screens). He expressed confidence that Nintendo DS will provide a fresh, innovative gaming experience.

Otsuka: According to the Computer Entertainment Supplier's Association in Tokyo, domestic and overseas shipments of home video game software in 2001 and 2002 slipped by around 10% year on year. How do you see the current state of the game industry and its future?

Iwata: I think the number of game players will decrease if the game industry continues to pursue its current strategy of making software more complicated and luxurious, which in turn requires customers to consume enormous time and energy. Customers now find themselves hard-pressed to keep up with the game developers' approach. If we put the brakes on such a trend, we would be able to put the industry back on a growth path. Nintendo was aware of this early on. We would like to market such software and expand the sales of game machines.

Otsuka: Sales of Nintendo's GameCube game console have remained stagnant, struggling behind Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s (SCEI) PlayStation2. Did last year's price cut have any effect?

Iwata: I think so. We had a hard time in the first half of fiscal 2003. But sales during the Christmas shopping season after the markdown were brisk in Europe and the United States, with the shipments at home and abroad in the October-December period last year hitting the 3.5 million unit range. We narrowed the gap with PlayStation2 and made up for the beating we took in 2002. Nevertheless, domestic sales remain weak and the total of global shipments for fiscal 2003 came in at 1 million units under the 6 million target.

Otsuka: SCEI launched the PSX, which combines a home game machine with a DVD recorder, last December. Did the new SCEI product affect Nintendo?

Iwata: The PSX is not a game machine but a home electronic appliance. So, it didn't compete with our game machines. The PSX is priced differently from our products and customers bought the PSX for different purposes. I think few people, if any, would be at a loss to choose between the PSX, which sells for Yen 80,000, and our GameCube priced at Yen 14,000. You had better put this question to Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Toshiba Corp. or Pioneer Corp.

Otsuka: How is the GameBoy Advance portable game machine selling?

Iwata: Global shipments for fiscal 2003 were targeted at 20 million units but didn't get beyond the 18 million range. Sales were good in the United States and Europe, led by the GameBoy Advance SP folding machine, but sales of this machine in Japan dropped below the previous year's level. This adversely affected our global shipments.

Otsuka: My next question is about your game software strategy. You said that you would like to release new software which would bring customers back to the fold. What customers do you specifically have in mind?

Iwata: We are facing a critical situation, in which the number of game players will decrease unless we change tack. We will release software targeted at customers in different age groups. Donkey Konga, software for the GameCube jointly developed with Namco Ltd. and released last December, has sold well. Its content was well received. I think the charm of Donkey Konga partly lies in the fact that even a three-year-old child can play it.

Otsuka: Specifically, what kind of software do you plan to release?

Iwata: We plan to release new versions of such popular titles as Mario, Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda and Kirby Super Star, because customers want them and we would like to take on new challenges. As software for the GameCube, we would like to offer easy-to-understand software using such characters as Donkey Kong. We will release in Europe and the United States by the end of the year a new version of Donkey Konga, varying the music according to local tastes. Music for the U.S. version will be different from that for the European version. We have sent samples to our overseas sales agents, which have received them well, partly because some samples contained classics.

Otsuka: Nintendo repackaged 10 classic titles of its original home console system, such as Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros. and Pac-Man, for GameBoy Advance, releasing them in Japan in February under the title Famicom Mini. As a follow-up, 10 other popular titles, such as Mario Bros. and Twin Bee, were released for the hand-held game machine on May 21. Do you intend to continue the revival of old software?

Iwata: It is a matter of course that we should consider the utilization of our software assets. There are many things we can do. Adults can hardly get involved in games unless we offer them simplicity. Adults who do not usually play games should be able to understand them in 10 seconds. We would like to revive older software which would prompt such adults to feel like playing them.

Otsuka: Much software for SCEI's PlayStation2 and Microsoft's X-Box is dynamic enough to appeal to adults. But it seems Nintendo is not good at producing software for adults.

Iwata: Game software should neither be exclusively targeted at children nor adults. Instead, we will develop software which anyone can instantly understand. At the same time, production of software readily acceptable to adults is worth studying.

In March last year, we released Made in Wario, a collection of mini-games, which was favorably received by both adults and children. Made in Wario contained features of the so-called Family Computer launched in Japan in 1983, and so evoked a sense of nostalgia in many adults. Children, for their part, must have enjoyed it without understanding these connotations.

I think we should continue to adopt a similar approach. When we market new software for adults, we should publicize it as software that everyone can enjoy. It will be nice if adults who have kept away from playing games will be motivated to take them up again. That will be more effective than undertaking a promotion specifically aimed at adults.

Otsuka: Nintendo has not entered the online game business, while other game companies are focusing on them, as is shown by SCEI's PlayStation2. Is Nintendo not thinking of heading in that direction?

Iwata: Not at the moment. SCEI's online golf game didn't sell well, while its off-line golf game sold one million copies. This was also proof that customers do not want online games. Online technology has its own interesting features, so I don't rule out the possibility of making use of it for games. But, at the moment, most customers do not wish to pay the extra money for connection to the Internet, and for some customers, connection procedures to the Internet are still not easy.

Some time ago, game companies as well as the media were predicting that online games would take off in the future. But game companies now find it difficult to make online game businesses successful, and their enthusiasm for them is cooling. During the year-end shopping season last year, none of the online games succeeded. The failure of SCEI's golf game was a good example. All the games that sold well were off-line games.

Otsuka: Exorbitant costs are the main obstacle to the development of games, aren't they?

Iwata: It is not unusual for development of software for portable game machines to cost between Yen 100 million and Yen 200 million. Development of full-blown software for household game machines costs as much as Yen 500 million. Development of software at such high costs is not sound. Some kinds of software might justifiably cost Yen 500 million, but that doesn't mean all software should cost that much.

This is why we released low-cost WarioWare, Inc. Mega Party Game$! in October last year as a follow-up to Made in Wario. We developed this new software for less than Yen 100 million in only six months, which enabled us to set the per-copy price at Yen 3,800. Because of the low cost, WarioWare, Inc. sold more than 400,000 copies.

Otsuka: Do you plan to form tie-ups with other companies in software development to curb development costs?

Iwata: Tie-ups with other companies will not necessarily reduce development costs. Tie-ups are aimed at developing unique commodities which neither Nintendo nor its partners can develop alone. Donkey Konga was created through the combination of Nintendo's Donkey Kong character and Namco's Taiko no Tatsujin (Drum Master). There were merits for both sides. We intend to expand tie-ups not only with Japanese companies but also with foreign companies. We are now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go smoothly.

Otsuka: Nintendo last year bought 2.6% of the outstanding shares in Bandai Co., which owns such characters as Gundam. What was the purpose of the share purchase? Was it related to the possibility of a tie-up with Bandai?

Iwata: It all started when a holder of Bandai shares approached us. We bought the shares as Bandai's business value and stock price were balanced. We already had a relationship with Bandai, as we had marketed Bandai's software. A closer relationship would be beneficial for both sides and it will be nice if the two companies can work together in doing something interesting.

Otsuka: Later this year, Nintendo plans to release a new portable game machine, provisionally called Nintendo DS. What will it be like?

Iwata: Featuring two 3-inch color screens, the Nintendo DS will enable customers to play games in a different way. We will also develop software that will bring out the strengths of having two displays. The two screens will display different scenes. When playing a soccer game, for example, one screen will show an overview of the field and the other will show a view of one of the characters. Different scenes shown on two screens will give game players the feeling that they are on a soccer field. The Nintendo DS will be a success if it provides customers with a new gaming experience.

Game developers are finding it difficult to make completely unique software. That is why they have been making software too complicated while excessively tinkering with such details as improvements to the quality of the displayed images. Of course, customers will not accept this trend. Even developers themselves did not feel like using such software, with the result that the game business has been stalled in Japan and the United States since the second half of last year. The situation is quite serious.

Otsuka: What will you do with the existing game machines after releasing the Nintendo DS?

Iwata: We will continue the marketing of GameCube and GameBoy Advance, because they are different from the Nintendo DS. If the existing machines are withdrawn from the market, customers will not think that the Nintendo DS has different features from these machines.

Otsuka: The PlayStation Portable (PSP) game machine SCEI will release in the end of this year will boast wireless local area network (LAN) functions using an ultra-small optical disc, which will enable high-speed communications without cables. Will the PSP compete with the Nintendo DS?

Iwata: Entertainment goods are not necessarily superior just because they are equipped with state-of-the-art technology. Game developers have made games too complicated for ordinary people to play, because they thought advanced technology by itself is great. I think customers will not regard the Nintendo DS as having the same purpose as the PSP. Just as the GameCube does not compete with the PSX, the Nintendo DS will not compete head-to-head with the PSP.

Otsuka: Nintendo reported a net loss of Yen 2.8 billion in its consolidated financial statement for the April-September period last year. Nintendo reported its first net loss since its shares were listed in 1962. The losses apparently resulted from a foreign exchange loss of Yen 40.3 billion stemming from the yen's appreciation against the dollar. How do you view the financial results as the company's chief executive?

Iwata: The first loss since the stock listing was indeed disgraceful. As the president, I am striving to boost sales and operating profits, but can do nothing about exchange rates. Nintendo has foreign-currency deposits totaling about $5 billion, so we suffer a loss when the yen appreciates. Given that we boosted our assets through foreign-currency trading in the past, I am not pessimistic about the situation.

When the yen appreciates, most companies have to exchange dollars for yen to maintain the value of their assets. But Nintendo can keep the value of its assets without doing so immediately. Our current and net profits may be affected on paper, but that is not a real loss. Drastic fluctuations in exchange rates are not desirable but we cannot help it.

Otsuka: How do you view the current business situation in Japan?

Iwata: The days when all business sectors could thrive are over. Business sectors selling products which are not daily necessities, like the game industry, will be affected by business fluctuations. But if we make a product consumers want at any cost, they will buy it. We must make efforts to produce such things.

Otsuka Keiichiro is a staff writer at Kyodo News.

Taken from the Japan Economic Foundation's bi-monthly magazine Japan Spotlight July/August edition. This business profile is previewed on the site, fortunately my superior ninjas have brought you the whole article.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Didn't that HSG online game require an online fee and a HDD? That's kinda unfair to say that people are not interested in online because people didn't buy that particular title

In March last year, we released Made in Wario, a collection of mini-games, which was favorably received by both adults and children. Made in Wario contained features of the so-called Family Computer launched in Japan in 1983, and so evoked a sense of nostalgia in many adults. Children, for their part, must have enjoyed it without understanding these connotations.

I think we should continue to adopt a similar approach. When we market new software for adults, we should publicize it as software that everyone can enjoy. It will be nice if adults who have kept away from playing games will be motivated to take them up again. That will be more effective than undertaking a promotion specifically aimed at adults.

Nostalgia sells!

I was going to say the exact same thing, Wario64. I normally agree with most of what Iwata says, but I just can't buy that Minna no Golf 4's higher sales numbers than Minna no Golf Online somehow equate to "proof that customers do not want online games." Another factor you didn't mention is that Minna no Golf Online was essentially an identical game to Minna no Golf 3 - I think it had one new online-exclusive course and that's it - so most of the 100,000 people who bought it were likely fans of the original game who were buying it again just for the ability to play online.

It also doesn't show whether or not even more people would've bought Minna no Golf 4 if it had been online-enabled. I guess we'll find that out when Hot Shots Fore comes out.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
I keep wondering exactly when a journalist is going to interview Iwata and not smile and nod when he makes assinine statements. Iwata needs a big dose of the truth potion.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
He's right about games no being accessible to most though. No way in hell could my parents or their friends handle a game like Halo or even Zelda, but they tend to have fun when I force a game like Samba or Super Monkey Ball on them.

Of course, it sucks for us gamers, because WE can handle the games getting more complicated. Luckily Nintendo don't actually seem to be showing any signs of abandoning us yet, gmaes like Zelda and Metroid are still being made without being simplified.

wipeout364

I find it so difficult to listen to this guy. It seems like everytime I start to feel sorry for the cube, Somebody from the top makes ridiculous statements explaining why everything that Nintendo is doing is right but everybody else doesn't have a F--king clue. Man this guy is just as bad as Hiroshi Yamauchi for living in another world.

AniHawk

Iwata said:
We are now holding negotiations with major Western game developers and will be able to conclude a deal by the end of the year if things go smoothly.

Western games are all now third party exclusives!!

Deg

Banned
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Heheh....

Translation seems to be in American English? ;)

Megaton 3!

Not surprised.

The online thing is interesting because he suggests Nintendo will go online eventually, a hint in DS maybe? I think its worth doing right now abit at least.

At the moment on messageboards you just have 2 polar opposites fighting each other on the online argument. The truth is that online is inbetween.

Society said:
+1 for confusing the market.

That +1 goes to Sony. You should name a console once and stick with that name. It's nonsense the way they do it.

The Iwata comment about online is again proof that while they get some things, they totally miss other points. Mario Golf + Gamespy = Zero cost, moron! If they stop worrying about how to make money on services and realize online enabled equals more sales, he'd see how it is profitable.

SantaC

Gold Member
They need to stop asking Iawata the same questions over and over again. Atleast I think so because I have seen the same answers for quite some time now.

He's right about online, thought, at least here in Portugal there arent many pple willing to pay fees to play online.......well i play games online on my Pc because well they're free, at least some like Cs,hl and other shooters....

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Iwata didn't say that Online itself is bad: he said that online isn't successful due to the structure of the online system, currently, requiring fees. That's why Nintendo's using WiFi in the DS. A wireless P2P system that can connect people ANYWHERE. No more maintenance fees and subscription fees for online games.

I

GaimeGuy said:
Iwata didn't say that Online itself is bad: he said that online isn't successful due to the structure of the online system, currently, requiring fees. That's why Nintendo's using WiFi in the DS. A wireless P2P system that can connect people ANYWHERE. No more maintenance fees and subscription fees for online games.
well, no because with WIFI, unless you have/live near a WIFI hotspot, it's gonna be not just hard, but impossible for you to connect. Not to mention if you own a wireless network, it still cost's money. What I think seems to be nintendo's biggest issue though, is the fact that the majority of people still have to use dialup to go online, and for games, this is nearly impossible now. Where i live, and for 20 miles almost all around, no one can even get cable or dsl, and i imagine im not the only place in the world, or even the US like that. So, until everyone has affordable broadband, online will never be "viable" to the general public, and as such, Nintendo as well.

Alcibiades

and Online, didn't really help games like Pandora Tomorrow, Project Gotham Racing 2, or Crimson Skies... some games won't even sell more than their off-line counterparts...

based on these results, I'd also be wary if I was Nintendo of spending a good amount on an online network now, when it'll probably be cheaper and more viable for a company of their size to wait a few years for broadband adoption to pick up...

I wonder what his reaction will be when GT4 and HALO 2 become 2 of the biggest selling games of this generation? If he's going to use EGO as a reason that they shouldn't go online since it's an established series that didn't sell well with online play, he'll have 2 good reasons with those 2 above titles.

Alcibiades

I think there is a difference between a title that would sell well on it's own having online play, and a title that would benefit in sales from the inclusion of online play...

If Halo 2 and GT4 each get 4 million people in their online networks, I'm sure he'll be at a loss for words, but somehow I figure he won't be moved either way...

efralope said:
I think there is a difference between a title that would sell well on it's own having online play, and a title that would benefit in sales from the inclusion of online play...

Well EGO had an offline portion too I believe. So if his comments qualify for it, they should do the same for GT4 and HALO 2 which allow you to do the samething. Ofcourse they won't though.

But since Zelda basically bombed in Japan, I wonder if that's proof enough to him to ditch connectivity?

Alcibiades

Both The Wind Waker and Four Swords had connectivity, but maybe it's just that people were turned off by the look of the games...

Even if Wind Waker bombs here in the US (which I don't think it will, and they'll be happy enough with good US sales), Crystal Chronicles sold well both in the US and Japan, and that was a connectivy-driven even more that Four Swords...

Interestingly enough, the some of the most successful games in the US for GCN this year are heavy connectivity proponents:

Pokemon Colosseum
Crystal Chronicles
A Wonderful Life
-probably Four Swords

Pellham

Banned
those games were successful relative to the GCN (i.e. 100-200k range), but they were hardly blockbusters in the overall scheme of things.

Only FFCC and Zelda really count in this as they rely on connectivity very heavily in terms of the games actual gameplay. The others are like having downloadable content. FFCC did well, Zelda as far Japan goes didn't do well. It just now reached 100k in Japan. For comparison, Monster Rancher (thats online) which was released around Zelda is now coming up to 300k in Japan. So if you just take certain games you can make anything look bad. Using EGO as a basis that online play doesn't make much sense when there are other games that show it does work. has

Shoryuken

SolidSnakex said:
Only FFCC and Zelda really count in this as they rely on connectivity very heavily in terms of the games actual gameplay. The others are like having downloadable content. FFCC did well, Zelda as far Japan goes didn't do well. It just now reached 100k in Japan. For comparison, Monster Rancher (thats online) which was released around Zelda is now coming up to 300k in Japan. So if you just take certain games you can make anything look bad. Using EGO as a basis that online play doesn't make much sense when there are other games that show it does work. has

Out of curiosity you wouldn't happen to know the numbers for highest selling connnectivity driven game versus the highest selling online driven game?

Alcibiades

I'd say connectivity is pretty much a must for the majority of Pokemon Colosseum users...

In fact, there is probably quite a bit of multiplayer connectivity going on with that game, and if people were using the N64 transfer pak for the N64 versions, I don't see how they would use connectivity and less for this game (even if it did have a 1p mode, it wasn't really the main part of the game) than they did with the N64 Pokemon Stadiums...

Shoryuken said:
Out of curiosity you wouldn't happen to know the numbers for highest selling connnectivity driven game versus the highest selling online driven game?

We won't know till there is one. An online driven game is online only (FFXI for example) there are no connectivity games like that. Unless you want to count FFCC or Zelda as online driven and then I guess SOCOM would count and both of the games in that series are over a million.

Insertia

wipeout364 said:
I find it so difficult to listen to this guy. It seems like everytime I start to feel sorry for the cube, Somebody from the top makes ridiculous statements explaining why everything that Nintendo is doing is right but everybody else doesn't have a F--king clue. Man this guy is just as bad as Hiroshi Yamauchi for living in another world.

IAWTP

He carries this arrogance with him, like he knows for sure what the market wants. Funny how Nintendo is still cocky after getting beat two gens in a row. Maybe when PSP threatens their handheld empire...

Nikashi

Banned
Iwata: Not at the moment. SCEI's online golf game didn't sell well, while its off-line golf game sold one million copies. This was also proof that customers do not want online games.

Wow. Just... wow. There are so many things wrong with that quote :)

Alcibiades

Nikashi said:
Wow. Just... wow. There are so many things wrong with that quote :)

I find only a couple of things missing from this statement, so I'll correct it w/ Italics

"Iwata: Not at the moment. SCEI's online golf game didn't sell well, while its off-line golf game sold one million copies. This was also proof that vast majority of console customers do not want fee-based online games."

There, I made the statement more accurate... I think if the online user-base hits a good 25-30% by next-gen, Nintendo won't have a choice but to look at it and the exuses will finally seem lame, but they seem suspect considering the current adoption rates (probably at most 10-15% of total PS2, 70 million, and XBox, 14 million, userbase are online)...

ge-man

You know, as much as that comment was a straw man, I don't think it's wrong to accept that the extras cost concerning the game kept the online portion from being nearly as big as its offline version. Really no one (including Nintendo) has succesfully argued whether or not online functionality really affects the sales of a product. I think the point about the extra cost is valid in the end, but Iwata needs to be more careful in trying to imply that Nintendo is going in the right direction when connectivity games also cost a lot for people who are casual gamers or not Nintendo fans.

In the end, I wouldn't take too much of what's he's saying as some kind of arrogance. There's a time to look humble, but there are times when you need to look like they are confident in what direction you're heading. Do you honestly think Iwata would say shit like they are scared of the PSP or that they made a complete mistake by not diving online right from the start?

ge-man said:
I think the point about the extra cost is valid in the end, but Iwata needs to be more careful in trying to imply that Nintendo is going in the right direction when connectivity games also cost a lot for people who are casual gamers or not Nintendo fans.

The cost argument works if you're somesmall company who's barely making it on a year to year basis. That's not Nintendo. They've got plenty in the bank and they make plenty each year. Going online isn't going to hurt them in any significant way. Every console maker (Sony, MS and Sega) went online this gen, the only one that didn't is Nintendo. Yah it's nice to be able to make pure profit off everything, but if those companies care enough about their gamers to take a hit on the online front I don't see what makes Nintendo so special that they can't.

ge-man

SolidSnakex said:
The cost argument works if you're somesmall company who's barely making it on a year to year basis. That's not Nintendo. They've got plenty in the bank and they make plenty each year. Going online isn't going to hurt them in any significant way. Every console maker (Sony, MS and Sega) went online this gen, the only one that didn't is Nintendo. Yah it's nice to be able to make pure profit off everything, but if those companies care enough about their gamers to take a hit on the online front I don't see what makes Nintendo so special that they can't.

I'm not saying that Nintendo did the right thing or not really. Really, I think the whole online thing has been blown out of proportion. People make such a big deal out of Nintendo not going online as if the future depend on their involvement. Well, if it was bad idea we'll see the negatives effects a generation or two down the line. If they didn't, we won't. If you don't like the fact that Nintendo hasn't made the jump, then don't buy their products. Vote with your wallet. There's nothing that can be said this late in the game.

Alcibiades

SolidSnakex said:

I would leave it up to internal Nintendo executives and producers/managers to make a decision about whether they have the money to risk on an expensive online venture. Although their profit situation is stable, it probably isn't anything that would cover giving away free online server play to millions of users...

Well, Sega isn't exactly in a good position right now anyway, barely having recovered from years of losses (helped eventually by their arcade and GCN successes I'm guessing)... Their major online ventures are all the sports titles, and right now Visual Concepts isn't exactly as securely a part of Sega as it used to be, and even then...

Sony and MS of course can blow hundreds of millions without the same penalty Nintendo would face...

Sure Nintendo CAN (because they have money in the bank) blow a couple billion into the trash, as both Sony and Microsoft can also with the online risks, but who would get hurt the most if it blew up in their faces...

The way I see it, the only fair comparison in terms of hardware makers would be Nintendo and Sega since MS and Sony are much more than game makers, and Sega's online venture has never been that hot...

I hope Nintendo finds a solution so they can go online (NO FEES) without digging into their warchest, but I'm guessing the technology to make it affordable and user-friendly without a big money risk isn't there right now...

The biggest stink and disappointment came out of GC-owners, IMO. At least, initially, there was pretty solid hope that Nintendo would take a stab at the function, mainly because you saw them say, 'Hey, we're online, too!' as they pointed out their release of their official adaptors when they were faced with XBOX and PS2 all talking very seriously about their plans. Then, they announce a partnership with AOL that's seemingly intentionally vague and gets GC-owner's hopes up about something online... Then you get all of the Megaton rumor crap floating around, further giving GC fans a little something to suck the paint off of... What's the fucking point of releasing an OFFICIAL online accessory if you don't support it? Nintendo sure didn't lose money off of that overpriced item, as they sold to quite a few people that expected a bit more than PSO I, II, and III from Sega... No, I think enough was already obvious about what a portion of the fanbase wanted...and Nintendo simply doesn't give a shit.

ge-man said:
I'm not saying that Nintendo did the right thing or not really. Really, I think the whole online thing has been blown out of proportion. People make such a big deal out of Nintendo not going online as if the future depend on their involvement. Well, if it was bad idea we'll see the negatives effects a generation or two down the line. If they didn't, we won't. If you don't like the fact that Nintendo hasn't made the jump, then don't buy their products. Vote with your wallet. There's nothing that can be said this late in the game.

I think their consequence is going to be that when they finnaly do go online alot of 3rd parties aren't going to bother with them till they prove that their fanbase actually wants online games since right now all they're doing is basically selling their fans on the theory that online gaming isn't worth it. Next gen Sony and MS are going to have build in fanbases for online game and a bunch of gamers that demand it, Nintendo will have nothing if they decide to do it (which I really doubt they will).

Alcibiades

I was never disappointed because I never really thought there would be any Nintendo online games coming, I never bought the Mario Kart rumors or anything because it went against everything execs and producers were saying in interviews...

They specifically stated that although they had no plans for online funtion in their games, they weren't going to stop SEGA if they wanted "take advantage" of the functionality, and PSO was the reason they released the Broadband adaptor...

If people were to just read statements made and look at the overall direction the company was taking, I don't see how people could come to the conclusion anything solid was developing, in spite of Megaton rumours, etc...

Even the Gamespy/AOL thing sounded like vapor... when I read that stuff I expected at most a system for people to input codes and be ranked like was mentioned with some F-Zero X thing...

All this coming from a person that didn't believe for 1/2 a second that fake E3 flyer going around that people seemed to hopeful for in spite of the obvious...

The only way I but into most of Nintendo happenings is if numerous, broad sources are confirming and/or multiple statements from Nintendo spokespeople indicate something real and consistent...

As an example, when the Rare thing was going on, didn't it seem fishy Nintendo didn't say "Rare is currently a 2nd party that is still working on several GCN projects", instead they only mentioned "things haven't changed and hard at work on Star Fox Adventures"...

seems you have to just analyze statements and situation a little to not get caught up in all those rumours (although, I have to admit I fell for the "megaton capcom bought out" stuff a bit because of some report on CBS Marketwatch article)

Top Bottom