• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jak 3 interview, screens, video

acklame

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200406/N04.0611.1728.19642.htm

jak3.jpg

ctchlz_1.jpg

damusjak_2.jpg

dsrtmh_6.jpg

facair_9.jpg

fctintro_1.jpg

lizcfma_2.jpg

mnex_2.jpg

What types of new weapons and attacks will there be in Jak 3?

In Jak 3, our heroes will be confronted with more powerful enemies and in larger numbers than ever before. In order to cope with the new enemy forces, Jak will be able to find 8 new weapon mods in addition to the 4 from Jak II. The morph gun maintains it's simplicity of having 4 different colored ammunitions that correspond to the 4 directions on the D-Pad, but each color now has 3 levels of power. For instance, the first level of the Blue Mode is the Vulcan Fury (like a chain gun) from Jak II, but second level fires a blue electric bolt (ala Ghost Busters) that can sweep around and lock onto enemies. And finally the third level launches a volley of tiny needles that swarm about and seek out the nearest enemy without even having to aim (think Fifth Element). Of course each progressive level of weapon chews through the ammo a little bit faster than the previous one, so there is some strategy about which weapon to use. This system allows Jak to have quick access to all 12 weapons without an inventory screen or cumbersome menu and still maintain only 4 ammo types.

how much is jack 3 pushing the PlayStation hardware?

At Naughty Dog, we are constantly amazed by how much power is left in the PlayStation 2. If you asked us if we could be drawing an island five times as big as Haven City, with bump mapping on the sand, while calculating the physics of a dune buggy, running cloth dynamics on Jak's clothes, and performing rag-doll physics on the enemies, back when we were making the engine for Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, we wouldn't have thought it was possible. But now, fouryears later, that's what we're doing. I think you've yet to see the best games for the system.

A lot more at the page.

New video:
http://www.gameinformer.com/Images/downloads/movies/jak3/jak3trailer.mpg

Ranger X

Bump mapping!?!?!?!???????? Niiiice. Didn't noticed that in the screens and movies! Now this is impressive i guess. Rare to see that on the PS2.

When did they release the previous one, last week? They just cranking this platformers out. Just like the did with Crash on the PS.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
When did they release the previous one, last week?
This is coming precisely one year after the last one, which came two years after the first one. Sacrilige!!

Heh, the worst 'offender' of this kind right now is Splinter Cell, though. I mean, two games in one year just doesn't sound right even to me, who usually never have problem with making quick sequels as loong as they are good.

belgurdo

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out how this is different from the last game, save the desert overworld (Ratchet 3 too, although I like that series.)

Top Bottom