• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lies Of P Update Makes The Game Easier

I don't mind them toning down The Bishop or Black Rabbit Brotherhood or even Laxasia, but the excessive nerfs to final boss made the victory feel hollow. I was close before, but the autoupdate ruined it for me. Still loved the game and intend to start New Game Plus and purchase any DLC that comes along.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So.. everyone complained about shrine of amana in original DS2.
But this is shrine of amana the game. The rosa boulevard with the clown?! Are you kidding me? The most annoying location this year.
There is ready to strike enemy around every corner
Every plank bridge that exists will break
Every butterfly you chase leads into a trap
Every enemy with "run up" weapon will stagger you into oblivion
and then there is a sponge enemy in the middle

The game pulls cheap trick after cheap trick and I am not even surprised.
It's a good game but it' so freaking cheap in it's methods...

And I kinda don't ike that there are so many mechanics. P organs, cubes, skills, this, that.
The handles are great. Lovethat... the arm.. ok.
Anything else is tragic and too much.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I sometimes think patches should be optional because you have two sides. The proud and the idgaf side. Idgaf isn’t terrible.

It’s like Blasphemous 2. A rather large % of people beat it before they nerfed the OP stuff. Now they want to take it all back and to be honest, I wouldn’t want to play it now. It was a lot of fun with the stuff I did.

This isn’t bad, but also comes with so much pride. I actually prefer the nerfs in LoP. It made the game better for me, so that’s why I think updates should be optional because even if they patched the patch. It’s giving fans who may have bought it now the middle finger.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I love it. I just don’t like difficulty spikes
Let’s be real. If we followed your post history for this game the difficulty spike started when you booted the game up for the first time.

Just use specters bro and move on.

Thats like drinking alcohol free whiskey.
To anyone who's already straight edge, this wouldn't matter.

think-use-your-brain.gif

Damn, game is fine as it is. Why did they have to try the appease the pussy crowd that don't really play games.

What about gitting gud? Fucking hate modern gaming so much. If something is too difficult then you have the option to fuck off and go play something else.
Well, now you have this option, lol.

This update fixed controller detection in the Game Pass version so I can finally play without installing a third-party controller app, but after reading that the update also made the game easier... I've kinda lost interest in playing it right now. Maybe they'll patch difficulty back in? lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This update fixed controller detection in the Game Pass version so I can finally play without installing a third-party controller app, but after reading that the update also made the game easier... I've kinda lost interest in playing it right now. Maybe they'll patch difficulty back in? lol
You can still die multiple times with this patch. I get how it’s easier, but that doesn’t fix human error or bad reads. It’s not like “after sixteen straight hours and multiple deaths. I’ve finally found a game that’s better than anything else”.

Last edited:
You can still die multiple times with this patch. I get how it’s easier, but that doesn’t fix human error or bad reads. It’s not like “after sixteen straight hours and multiple deaths. I’ve finally found a game that’s better than anything else”.
It's ok, I'm neck deep in CP2077 Phantom Liberty and also picked up Separate Ways for RE4 so it's not like I'm itching to play Lies of P right now The game will be on Game Pass for the foreseeable future so I can patient and wait to see what they do with the difficulty in further updates.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's ok, I'm neck deep in CP2077 Phantom Liberty and also picked up Separate Ways for RE4 so it's not like I'm itching to play Lies of P right now The game will be on Game Pass for the foreseeable future so I can patient and wait to see what they do with the difficulty in further updates.
Cool. Don’t let the whole “Lies of Peasy” stop you. I like the nerfs. :)

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
But this is shrine of amana the game. The rosa boulevard with the clown?! Are you kidding me? The most annoying location this year.

And I kinda don't ike that there are so many mechanics. P organs, cubes, skills, this, that.
Sounds great. Was planning on buying, but now I'll pass.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I came to post this exact same thought... fucking caving to normies.
Imagine if FromSoft did that nonsense?

But, also, some of the game seems tedious, going from friend-impressions.

Last edited:

TwinB242

It doesn't make sense to make an unreasonably difficult game that a significant amount of people will never finish. Even post patch I still put the game down numerous times because as an aging gamer with less time, less patience, and worsening reflexes I just don't want to have to deal with that shit.

Don't pass on this if you like Souls games. By far the most enjoyable and polished "Souls-like" out there.

I think I'm having a more fun time with Lies of P than I did with Bloodborne.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Let’s be real. If we followed your post history for this game the difficulty spike started when you booted the game up for the first time.

Just use specters bro and move on.
This is just ignorant from you. The balancing issues started from the beginning

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s worth playing. It’s just a gank squad trap fest with some poor animations. But when you get into it, it feels almost like souls. Edit: The graphics are meh but art is great. and hub atmosphere is good too

I came to post this exact same thought... fucking caving to normies.
Imagine if FromSoft did that nonsense?

But, also, some of the game seems tedious, going from friend-impressions.
Caving to normies? I made a big post explaining that I don’t see where the patch improved things and that the difficulty comes from annoying traps, balancing and gank squads. And huge difficulty spikes for some bosses or enemies. Just as if it was made for streamers lol.
I don’t want to sound too negative. I am 16 hours in and I like the game. I don’t get too stuck at any point.
But when you drop through the planks for 7th time and have to kill all the enemies around the clown for 3rd time, I fail to see where it’s so good.

And I am playing game my whole life starting in the 90s on nes and pc. I finished every game multiple times. If I am a normie, then this game is made for like 5 people.
Caving to normies is the stupidest argument I’ve ever seen. There are clear balancing issues and no hp patch will fix animations

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
There is a point in ch9 where you have to fight a mutant dude in a tiny ass room and unless you can parry multi hit combos head on - you’re out. What comes right after him is a mini boss that clones himself and was imo 10x harder than the second brotherhood fight at the end the chapter. Those 2 did deserve a nerf imo, chapter end bosses not so much.

But here is my theory - devs saw how many players killed bosses' second phases with throwable spam and nerfing a boss is a way for the fight to play out as designed all the way, without resorting to cheese

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

So is this game actually very good? I'm not really into the idea of playing something that's like a souls game but not quite as good... not playing the nioh or wo long for instance.

Last edited:

nicoGec

Any word on the flickering brightness bug? Apparently something to do with VRR and/or 120hz displays.

Noticed it immediately upon booting the XSX version, there’s a fix by disabling TV settings but I figured I’d just wait for a patch.
This if fixed by putting the console setting at 60hz instead of 120.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I saw it on someone's stream. It's like one of those haunted houses you visit. My preferred type of challenge is more "gentlemanly" so to speak. Make my character responsive, give them tools to handle things, but make the enemy smart and skillful as well. Let things show confidence by being forthright. This makes it more exciting to defeat them if they had more to them than a lunge at you from out of sight.

I felt the same way about the new RE4. All they did was nerf the player character, the camera, the controls, buff up the enemies with dodge moves and being unresponsive to bullets. It made it feel more challenging only because your character suddenly felt like an apprehensive dumbass fighting rushdown sponges and limited the ammo more on top. Fell below original RE4, RE5, RE6, and Revelations in gameplay because it was all by being cheap.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I saw it on someone's stream. It's like one of those haunted houses you visit. My preferred type of challenge is more "gentlemanly" so to speak. Make my character responsive, give them tools to handle things, but make the enemy smart and skillful as well. Let things show confidence by being forthright. This makes it more exciting to defeat them if they had more to them than a lunge at you from out of sight.

I felt the same way about the new RE4. All they did was nerf the player character, the camera, the controls, buff up the enemies with dodge moves and being unresponsive to bullets. It made it feel more challenging only because your character suddenly felt like an apprehensive dumbass fighting rushdown sponges and limited the ammo more on top. Fell below original RE4, RE5, RE6, and Revelations in gameplay because it was all by being cheap.
Yeah that sums it up with lies of p.
But don’t think I agree with re4 remake. You are much more powerful than in original. At least I found the game great and quite easy but I played with mouse so maybe headshots were easy. In fact I liked it so much I finished it twice

SCB3

I'm glad people are mentioning the cheapness of the locations, I feel like every corner there is gonna be something whacking me or I'm gonna fall down a pit that I had no way to foresee, I know Souls games do this but its so rare its a actual surprise, this is not

Techies

It was a good patch, phase1 of most bosses felt way too much. Feels like the game was balanced around having the spectre around before the patch, now it's balanced around the heals you have the time and fighting without the spectre.

Buffing the spectre pretty much made it, a mechanic that simply makes the game easier, to the point where you can hit phase2 with more heals.

A boss that would take 30 to 50 tries is now take less than 10.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm glad people are mentioning the cheapness of the locations, I feel like every corner there is gonna be something whacking me or I'm gonna fall down a pit that I had no way to foresee, I know Souls games do this but its so rare its a actual surprise, this is not
Like every single plank or bridge. It’s kinda funny

I don't understand the meltdown over this as if the godfather of souls games don't do balance changes as well with nerfs to make things easier. Also interesting how that unwavering support of "dev vision" goes flying out the window when implementing said changes as if it couldn't have been a choice they themselves they wanted to make.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I need anoher patch.
late game boss. fuck this guy

Corrupted parade master. This is straight up cheap shit and balance problem.
Whole game I was allowed to play with my own style. I have strength build. Baton handle and wrench +9.
He got crap ton of health, I cannot even summon specter and you practically have to parry this guy.
The whole game i could do without having to parry and now it is required from me to parry... at leas tthis is what it feels like.
This guy runs crazy fast, never stops an even spawns helpers.

This is not "git gud". This is straight up terrible fight that ruined the game for me. I now have to spend some time learning him. I dont want 20 hours to go down the drain....
edit: ok done. Was easy after all.

Last edited:

Fabieter

It has alot of going for it but damn the flaws make it one of the worst soulslike games. It got so much goodwill for the potential but other games like forspoken got flak for all the design flaws.

SCB3

God damn, how are you supposed to beat this damned Jester in the basement of the Arcade? He's so fast and powerful

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude seriously, fuck this game.
How man times do I have to r2 charge this door fucker leg.
And all his attacks deal shock because fuck me I guess.

I can't wait until I finish this just to delete this turd. Seriously... wtf were they thinking
And the boss run didn't had to be so long. why. There is 0 reason for this
edit: Yes, i am using fire, grinders, dildos, everything there is.

edit2: Finally beat him.... WOW SUCH FUN, SO MUCH ACOMPLISHMENT, THAN YOU NEOWIS...
that boss was door guardian

Last edited:

Fabieter

I can't wait until I finish this just to delete this turd. Seriously... wtf were they thinking

They thought from Software games are only played for difficulty and went for hard but broken design philosophy. Such a petty.

Kataploom

Gold Member
There is a point in ch9 where you have to fight a mutant dude in a tiny ass room and unless you can parry multi hit combos head on - you’re out. What comes right after him is a mini boss that clones himself and was imo 10x harder than the second brotherhood fight at the end the chapter. Those 2 did deserve a nerf imo, chapter end bosses not so much.

But here is my theory - devs saw how many players killed bosses' second phases with throwable spam and nerfing a boss is a way for the fight to play out as designed all the way, without resorting to cheese
This is it, the patch does nothing if enemy patters and animations are still shit, there's clearly a huge amount of players actively avoiding direct combat specially with bosses to not notice, of that's happening then sorry pal, there's something fundamentally wrong with your design

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally will never be interested in theses clones, they are always something off about them.

As long as FROM continues make games then I don’t need these wannabe FROM games clones.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One more thing, it looks like an mmo with toughest guys walking around in last chapters.
Oh yeah, 3 of these super annoying beasts just walking together. This is heligtree lol.
And the non-robot enemies are terribly generic. Remind me of The Suffering monsters. Look almost exactly the same

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They thought from Software games are only played for difficulty and went for hard but broken design philosophy. Such a petty.
The problem is that everyone thinks that from games are just difficulty…. Even from software. Think of last sekiro boss or Elden ring starting from mountaintop of the giant to the end. We can give heligtree a pass because it’s optional.
Even ds3 dlc was not that hard.

This reminds me of ds2 dlc. I hated it. Original ds2 is such a good experience in comparison.

One more problem with size of L. P organs menu is just needless and it’s a wall of text. You have to read all the descriptions few times. You spend so much time in there

Last edited:

kiphalfton

That's how I felt about RE2 Remake.

Headshots don't do shit, unless you pull off a "critical headshot" by standing still, aiming, and waiting for the the cross hairs to focus.

Kataploom

Gold Member

edit2: Finally beat him.... WOW SUCH FUN, SO MUCH ACOMPLISHMENT, THAN YOU NEOWIS...
that boss was door guardian
Parry him, stay close to him so he doesn't do the rolling attack and the unblockable kick, he might do it anyway but very rarely.

Use the stone that makes give your attack more stagger rate and a heavy weapon, I use the scythe that you but with Puppet King ergo.

You won't defeat him reducing his life unless you're masochist, you can only hope for staggering and executions since he's designed that way

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Parry him, stay close to him so he doesn't do the rolling attack and the unblockable kick, he might do it anyway but very rarely.

Use the stone that makes give your attack more stagger rate and a heavy weapon, I use the scythe that you but with Puppet King ergo.

You won't defeat him reducing his life unless you're masochist, you can only hope for staggering and executions since he's designed that way
Yeah I did that. Ran around him clockwise like an idiot + occasional Attack with any buff possible.
Only took 2 fatals to take him down but that fight was so terrible. Gives me Fire giant vibes but even worse

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah I did that. Ran around him clockwise like an idiot + occasional Attack with any buff possible.
Only took 2 fatals to take him down but that fight was so terrible. Gives me Fire giant vibes but even worse
I don't think it was, it was one of the few well designed bosses to me because you had to think instead of memorize patterns after 50th death and pray for the bot to not do a random change (lucky RNG).

But I can see why most would hate him, he required to do perfect parries to enable fatal hit twice at least and most zero damage videos I've seen of other bosses are mostly dodging. People avoid parrying in this game as if it was a plague or something. I don't have that issue tho, I almost the only one I've seen not complaining about parry window.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't think it was, it was one of the few well designed bosses to me because you had to think instead of memorize patterns after 50th death and pray for the bot to not do a random change (lucky RNG).

But I can see why most would hate him, he required to do perfect parries to enable fatal hit twice at least and most zero damage videos I've seen of other bosses are mostly dodging. People avoid parrying in this game as if it was a plague or something. I don't have that issue tho, I almost the only one I've seen not complaining about parry window.
There is nothing to think about. I knew what to do the moment I saw him. Hit his leg. But he does such a huge swiping attacks and he punishes you parrying for the most part.
And camera is trash

Top Bottom