• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New sonic rush screens at IGN, LOOKS GORGEOUS

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Instigator said:
you're welcome to prove me wrong, junior member.

There are a few games out, and more in the work, that put the dual screens to good use. Wario Ware Twisted being a great example of the former, and Romance of the Three Kingdoms DS, the latter.

Kirby's dual screen usage is pretty handy, and Castlevania and 2D Metroid will also make great use of it. Not sure if Metroid Pinball uses both screens to display the 2 halves of a larger pinball board, but if freakin' should, and that too is a good thing. Sonic's implentation looks great too, your complaints aside.

GDGF said:
Yes. I agree. Nintendo is famous for pulling the plug early on successful platforms.

Bingo. Though I buy every console eventually, I had hoped to get a DS nice and cheap, once Nintendo brings out the next Game Boy.

However, with this amount of quality software, there's no way around it. You have to buy a DS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
SonicMegaDrive said:
Bingo. Though I buy every console eventually, I had hoped to get a DS nice and cheap, once Nintendo brings out the next Game Boy.

However, with this amount of quality software, there's no way around it. You have to buy a DS.

No fair. You're pulling a GDGF :p

(That pull the plug thing was sarcasm! And incase your post was also sarcasm...I understood, and it did not fly over my head)

GDGF said:
No fair. You're pulling a GDGF :p

(That was sarcasm! And incase your post was also sarcasm...I understood, and it did not fly over my head)

Don't be modest. It was right on the money, especially for portables and the strategy for future portables from Nintendo. :D

SantaC

Instigator said:
In many ways it is. It's a stopgap system with shortened lifespan from the get-go, to counter the PSP in the short-term and hurt it until the true Gameboy successor is ready. Buying a DS is accepting maybe two years worth of games before Nintendo pulls the plug on it.

What has this sonic DS thread have to do with Nintendo pulling the plug on hardware? You just sound bitter that this game is on the DS.

Instigator said:
In many ways it is. It's a stopgap system with shortened lifespan from the get-go, to counter the PSP in the short-term and hurt it until the true Gameboy successor is ready. Buying a DS is accepting maybe two years worth of games before Nintendo pulls the plug on it.

If the system continues to sell well and get the game support that it currently is getting, why would they pull the plug even *if* that was the original intention? Just face it already, the DS is doing well right now. If that changes, then, sure, Nintendo can bring out the next Game Boy. Not sure if that will be necessary in just two years, though.

FightyF

Banned
Looks pretty good...as a huge Sonic fan I might have to buy a DS for this game. But I bought a GBA (and SP) for the Sonic Advance series and they weren't as good as the Genesis titles. So I'm going to be a big more hesitant on a DS purchase.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fight for Freeform said:
Looks pretty good...as a huge Sonic fan I might have to buy a DS for this game. But I bought a GBA (and SP) for the Sonic Advance series and they weren't as good as the Genesis titles. So I'm going to be a big more hesitant on a DS purchase.
Although no one was calling the Sonic Advance titles GBA GotS when they were at E3, as is the case with Sonic Rush.

Fight for Freeform said:

you're not interested in anything else the DS has coming down the line?

jett

D-Member
Looks pretty freaking good. DS is really surprising me.

Psp owners are crying.

Wait, the psp owners don't have any tears left to cry. poor bastards. :(

Ironclad

The game is definitely looking good. Hopefully it plays just as well, especially with all of theese moves that they have added.

nitewulf

man, i cant believe sonic team is gonna make me buy a DS for this game. freaking sonic team. make a PSP sonic game already you bastards!

jman2050

Instigator said:
you're welcome to prove me wrong, junior member.

Oh look, he's disguising his lack of usable knowledge by trying to discredit me by referencing my title on an internet message board. How cute.

Deku

Banned
jman2050 said:
Oh look, he's disguising his lack of usable knowledge by trying to discredit me by referencing my title on an internet message board. How cute.

Happens all the time. Just watch your back, you might get banned just because you're a newbie.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
shit just when I gave my sister my DS this stuff starts coming up I'm left with my PSP crying in a corner while my sister is playing Kirby and waiting for this game not fair :(

GaimeGuy

nitewulf said:
man, i cant believe sonic team is gonna make me buy a DS for this game. freaking sonic team. make a PSP sonic game already you bastards!
They are releasing a sonic for PSP, but it's going to be a Shadow the Hedgehog port.

FightyF

Banned
iced lightning said:
you're not interested in anything else the DS has coming down the line?

No, I can't think of any other titles that would interest me. I hope that it turns out to be a handheld that pumps out incredible 2D titles, rather than sub-par 3D titles (as is the case with the 3D titles so far).

I have a PSP at the moment, and it's going to turn into my primary gaming console as my new job has me in hotels most nights. Unless I bring my consoles along (bad idea I think), the only thing that'll keep me entertained are handheld games.

What I really want are games with as much depth and polished presentation as console games on a handheld, and thus far it looks like the PSP is the only one that can do that. Unfortunately, it's lineup isn't that expansive. Neither the DS nor PSP has had any super-significant boosts to their lineups 6 months after their release, so I'm not too worried.

Fight for Freeform said:
No, I can't think of any other titles that would interest me. I hope that it turns out to be a handheld that pumps out incredible 2D titles, rather than sub-par 3D titles (as is the case with the 3D titles so far).

I have a PSP at the moment, and it's going to turn into my primary gaming console as my new job has me in hotels most nights. Unless I bring my consoles along (bad idea I think), the only thing that'll keep me entertained are handheld games.

What I really want are games with as much depth and polished presentation as console games on a handheld, and thus far it looks like the PSP is the only one that can do that. Unfortunately, it's lineup isn't that expansive. Neither the DS nor PSP has had any super-significant boosts to their lineups 6 months after their release, so I'm not too worried.

The problem is PSP doesnt have anything really AAA........and doesnt seem that its going to have any time soon........

FightyF

Banned
Ridge Racers and Lumines are totally AAA. And really, I was open to getting a DS (I basically walked into futureshop willing to spend $450 for a handheld, and I would have gotten more games with a DS)...but those two games...compared to...well nothing on the DS currently swayed me to it. The only reason why I considered a DS is because I know it had a good E3 showing...but I couldn't really remember why (what games were the most acclaimed again?).

GDGF

Soothsayer
jett said:
Looks pretty freaking good. DS is really surprising me.

(

All we need now is some real 2D fighter goodness announced (looking at you Capcom and SNK) and I will call it mission accomplished :)

Ranger X

hmmm the game is not using the stylus sales +1

If it's not a fucking racing game like the GBA ones, sales + 1000000000000000000000

GaimeGuy

Fight for Freeform said:
Ridge Racers and Lumines are totally AAA. And really, I was open to getting a DS (I basically walked into futureshop willing to spend $450 for a handheld, and I would have gotten more games with a DS)...but those two games...compared to...well nothing on the DS currently swayed me to it. The only reason why I considered a DS is because I know it had a good E3 showing...but I couldn't really remember why (what games were the most acclaimed again?).
Well, the most acclaimed games were Sonic, Trauma Center, and Super Mario Bros, I think.

these are the games you can expect to be AA-AAA on the DS. The ones I'm looking forward to, but not sure on whether I'll buy or not,are bolded, and the ones I'm certain I'll buy are italicized.

Harvest Moon DS
Ultimate Card Games
Sonic Rush
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Mystical Ninja DS

Bomberman
Ultimate Brain Games
Nintendogs
Lost in Blue
Jump Superstars

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Bust-A-Move DS
Viewtiful Joe DS
Lunar genesis
Trace Memory
Snowboard Kids DS
Animal Crossing DS
Mario Kart DS
Meteos
Mario & Luigi 2
New Super Mario Bros.

Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Nanostray
Katamari Damacy
Baten Kaitos
Xenosaga

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

sammy

.Played this at E3 ---- it's amazing how much another screen adds to a 2d Sonic... this is one to look out for.

Socreges

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
What I really want are games with as much depth and polished presentation as console games on a handheld, and thus far it looks like the PSP is the only one that can do that.
I'm confused. You explain that you're not interested in the DS lineup since it doesn't have console polish/presentation.... yet you're contemplating spending $200+ for just Sonic Rush, which doesn't have any of that. So obviously it's gameplay that you find really important.... and there are many great games coming for DS if you just give them a look. Most are from Nintendo, though... sounds like that's a problem for you. :p

jman2050 said:

I guess you can't then.

A simple 'no' would have sufficed. :p

FightyF

Banned
Socreges said:
I'm confused. You explain that you're not interested in the DS lineup since it doesn't have console polish/presentation.... yet you're contemplating spending $200+ for just Sonic Rush, which doesn't have any of that. So obviously it's gameplay that you find really important.... and there are many great games coming for DS if you just give them a look. Most are from Nintendo, though... sounds like that's a problem for you. :p

Well, in my earlier post I said if the DS can pump out high quality 2D titles, then I'll really consider it. Sonic sounds really good...and it's not like they are making it a 3D platformer a la Mario 64 on the DS (whatever it's official title is).

Thanks for the list GG. Once I find 5 games on it I like (I see more than 5 that I like on there...just have to wait until they are all released), I may pick it up.

jman2050

Heh, at least we now have the irony of a banned member picking on me because I was a junior member ;)

But just to reiterate, it's a non-gimmicky use of the dual screens, something I've been waiting for since launch. It might not be too big a deal to look at, but any time you can increase the screen real estate in a platformer is a good thing. And from the looks of it, it's being put to good use (the section with the giant wheel chasing SOnic probably wouldn't have worked otherwise.

Wyzdom said:
hmmm the game is not using the stylus sales +1

If it's not a fucking racing game like the GBA ones, sales + 1000000000000000000000

So you wouldn't buy Kirby if you had a DS because it uses the stylus??? ;)

Of course, it's nice to see that Sega didn't force that feature just because it's available. Hopefully, developers will use that game as an example to bring more 2.5D goodness to the DS.

Treasure, Konami, Capcom, just bring me a sidescrolling shooter.

This game looks hotter than a dog in heat to me, but it also looks a little... 16-bitty. Eh, who cares though. 2D Sonic!

EDIT: 3D effects notwithstanding.

bummyhead

i think a lot of you are missing that point. this game is supposed to give you that retro feeling, while at the same time pulling some nice 3d effects.

I think you can expect sonic CD+ as far as graphics go.

I also really hope they put a GOOD effort into some high quality music too.

Ranger X

The Main Event said:
So you wouldn't buy Kirby if you had a DS because it uses the stylus??? ;)

Exactly. For Kirby it's not all that bad. Kirby Canvas is more "not all that bad" it's actually good. Quite good. But i still don't really like to play the game with the stylus. I would have prefer to play a "normal" Kirby.
Now there's no way in my imagination where a stylus use would be cool and nice in a true Sonic game so i wish there's no gimmick crap into it.

Top Bottom