• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Superstars | Review Thread

Fake

You have some new levels in Sonic Mania, something you would have known if you had play it... Those levels are way better than anything Sonic Superstars has to offer.

IMO the new levels in Sonic Mania are by far the best they ever made. I not against the old ones, but is get repetitive. If was real, I would expect Sonic Mania 2 to have only new zones.

Saber

Gold Member
Press Factory Zone blows chunks.

As a side note, whoever decided to release this the same week as Mario wasn't the brightest bulb:

BGhtWBn.png

Most people I read, including the ones who actually like this game, said that this price tag is robbery, some even suggesting that will buy on heavy discount.
At this point I can only assume they are are just full of themselves.

Sonic mania is good ? Yes, but its just a MOD. Sega is right to go into Superstars direction.

Superstars will probably lost on both popularity and sales compared to a 6 year old game. Insulting Mania will do this game no wonders, as the general consensus is that this game is mid-low at best and mediocre at worst.
And it's funny how this "the need to move foward" argument is so ridiculously weak, when Nintendo can stay absolute true to it's own classics and roots and still do an incredibly good job. It has nothing to do wheter you use pixels or not, thats just an artistic choice. Its about execution, and people responsible for Sonic just sucks real bad at it.

Most people I read, including the ones who actually like this game, said that this price tag is robbery, some even suggesting that will buy on heavy discount.
At this point I can only assume they are are just full of themselves.

Superstars will probably lost on both popularity and sales compared to a 6 year old game. Insulting Mania will do this game no wonders, as the general consensus is that this game is mid-low at best and mediocre at worst.
And it's funny how this "the need to move foward" argument is so ridiculously weak, when Nintendo can stay absolute true to it's own classics and roots and still do an incredibly good job. It has nothing to do wheter you use pixels or not, thats just an artistic choice. Its about execution, and people responsible for Sonic just sucks real bad at it.

Move forward from genesis games... Refurbished games like mania (and it is a great game)

Pay more attention when u read, look closer, i didn't said to change the formula, but enough of that genesis pixels.

Like i said, Superstars are divisive, some love, some don't.
I loved, so ?

Saber

Gold Member
Pay more attention when u read, look closer, i didn't said to change the formula, but enough of that genesis pixels.

Saber said:
It has nothing to do wheter you use pixels or not, thats just an artistic choice. Its about execution, and people responsible for Sonic just sucks real bad at it.

Being pixel doesn't make the game better and neither does 3D models. Mario Wonder could be fully pixel and the game would still be applauded. Same with Superstars, the reception wouldn't be any different if the game were pixels. Again it's about execution.

DeVeAn

Sonic mania is good ? Yes, but its just a MOD. Sega is right to go into Superstars direction.

Btw, its a crime what they are doing with this game, it is awesome. Believe in me. All works like a charm, i don't know what people want from Sonic. Like i said before, does not matter if they release a perfect Sonic game, people and media will complain about the game. Stigmatized. Period. But Don't miss this one! Its great!

In the other hand we have Mario Wonder, yeah, its good, but its the same s*** over and over again (wow mario is an elephant now), no complains and of course overrated. biased af.

Its just my opinion.
I get the same vibe. Although I loved Mario Wonder too.

BlackTron

Move forward from genesis games... Refurbished games like mania (and it is a great game)

Like i said, Superstars are divisive, some love, some don't.
I loved, so ?

When I started reading your original post, I was like "yeah I generally agree, just too bad they couldn't upgrade the graphics while keeping the advantages of 2D pixel art like Mario Wonder did". Then you went on to diss Wonder and lost all credibility.

Hey man I'm a hardcore Sonic fan. I modded my Switch just to make it run Sonic Adventure. I have original copies of games from DC going back to Game Gear. But lets be realistic here. Acting like Superstars is hot shit while Wonder is "just more of the same" makes it sound like you only bought one game and need to validate your purchasing decision. Your opinion doesn't mean much when you haven't played the game.

Superstars is a pretty good Sonic entry with a few flaws. It falls far short of what 2D Sonic could be but for starved Sonic fans it's almost a megaton release. It was a bad idea releasing it next to Wonder which just annihilates it on creativity, quality and yes graphics. And yes 2D Mario was getting creativity bankrupt on the New! series.

Superstars has sheer eye candy but there's a difference between good to look at and good to play. It's too busy, a cacophony for the senses that doesn't clearly define important objects from the scenery. As a result pixel Sonic still beats it as a video game. Wonder has more intelligent art direction (to put it mildly).

Being pixel doesn't make the game better and neither does 3D models. Mario Wonder could be fully pixel and the game would still be applauded. Same with Superstars, the reception wouldn't be any different if the game were pixels. Again it's about execution.
Another that can't read...
Im a 2D sprites lover, i posted my collection of games here multiple times, i have more old sprite games than 3D...

I said GENESIS SONIC SPRITES, i had enough of that, want something new like Superstars.

Last edited:
When I started reading your original post, I was like "yeah I generally agree, just too bad they couldn't upgrade the graphics while keeping the advantages of 2D pixel art like Mario Wonder did". Then you went on to diss Wonder and lost all credibility.

Hey man I'm a hardcore Sonic fan. I modded my Switch just to make it run Sonic Adventure. I have original copies of games from DC going back to Game Gear. But lets be realistic here. Acting like Superstars is hot shit while Wonder is "just more of the same" makes it sound like you only bought one game and need to validate your purchasing decision. Your opinion doesn't mean much when you haven't played the game.

Superstars is a pretty good Sonic entry with a few flaws. It falls far short of what 2D Sonic could be but for starved Sonic fans it's almost a megaton release. It was a bad idea releasing it next to Wonder which just annihilates it on creativity, quality and yes graphics. And yes 2D Mario was getting creativity bankrupt on the New! series.

Superstars has sheer eye candy but there's a difference between good to look at and good to play. It's too busy, a cacophony for the senses that doesn't clearly define important objects from the scenery. As a result pixel Sonic still beats it as a video game. Wonder has more intelligent art direction (to put it mildly).
Nintendo games, Mario games are awesome. Nintendo deliver the best VIDEOGAMES. I said that here lots of time. But it is biased, and Sonic is cursed by the media. The earth can't spin if someone do a compliment about a Sonic game.

I never said they are bad, i said its the same thing, and it is imo.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nintendo games, Mario games are awesome. Nintendo deliver the best VIDEOGAMES. I said that here lots of time. But it is biased, and Sonic is cursed by the media. The earth can't spin if someone do a compliment about a Sonic game.

I never said they are bad, i said its the same thing, and it is imo.

I don't think Sonic is stigmatized. If anything, Sonic gets a free pass despite years of failure. As someone who wants to like Sonic games, I was on the defense hearing positive impressions of Frontiers. I think Frontiers is straight garbage, but it did very well. Reading reviews, it seemed like people wanted to rate it higher than it was really worth, and did.

The reviews of Superstars are fair and accurate. Unlike Frontiers it's a game I'll at least spend my time playing, but it has flaws. Sometimes being the same is better if the change makes gameplay worse. The 3D graphics LOOK great but instantly disqualify the game from ever touching a Genesis title. Not because I don't like 3D graphics but because they did not implement them intelligently in a fast paced 2D side-scroller. This is before we get into stuff like level design, or how vapid the Emerald Powers are. Or how the music, which is usually the best part in the worst Sonic game, sucks here.

It ends up just being another game in the pile of playable but flawed Sonics, Wonder flicks it away with a finger. It has nothing to do with IP loyalty or having only played one game.

Edit: FYI I played 4 zones of Superstars before I got Wonder. I expected to play both in tandem but I'm late game grinding Special World levels and still haven't gone back to Superstars, there is no reason to completely ruin and embarrass the Sonic playthrough by playing Mario at the same time. The difference in quality is extreme and they REALLY should have picked a different release date.

Last edited:
I don't think Sonic is stigmatized. If anything, Sonic gets a free pass despite years of failure. As someone who wants to like Sonic games, I was on the defense hearing positive impressions of Frontiers. I think Frontiers is straight garbage, but it did very well. Reading reviews, it seemed like people wanted to rate it higher than it was really worth, and did.

The reviews of Superstars are fair and accurate. Unlike Frontiers it's a game I'll at least spend my time playing, but it has flaws. Sometimes being the same is better if the change makes gameplay worse. The 3D graphics LOOK great but instantly disqualify the game from ever touching a Genesis title. Not because I don't like 3D graphics but because they did not implement them intelligently in a fast paced 2D side-scroller. This is before we get into stuff like level design, or how vapid the Emerald Powers are. Or how the music, which is usually the best part in the worst Sonic game, sucks here.

It ends up just being another game in the pile of playable but flawed Sonics, Wonder flicks it away with a finger. It has nothing to do with IP loyalty or having only played one game.

Edit: FYI I played 4 zones of Superstars before I got Wonder. I expected to play both in tandem but I'm late game grinding Special World levels and still haven't gone back to Superstars, there is no reason to completely ruin and embarrass the Sonic playthrough by playing Mario at the same time. The difference in quality is extreme and they REALLY should have picked a different release date.

You already know my opinion, i won't keep repeating things like a scratched record. (not personal)

Last edited:
Come back and let me know your opinion again once you play both games!
Are u trolling me ?
I have both, and not just them, ALL Sonic games. And some Mario games.

Don't confuse me with the trolls who invade topics with the intention of defaming something without having played it.

You're not talking to an amateur, I'm 42 years old, I have a deep knowledge of games, I work with games and i'm not ashamed to say it, I'm proud.

Be careful with words when approaching people.
We disagree and I have nothing more to say to you.

Last edited:
I worked on UOL GAMES in Brasil, i did a network, almost everything released they send me a code. As a collector, if i like, i buy the disc. Some games that i don't have interest, i donate and support some streamers for them give the codes to the chat. I did lots of time on ChrisG stream per example.

Now u called me a liar...
Now and forward i will ignore your quotes.

BlackTron

I worked on UOL GAMES in Brasil, i did a network, almost everything released they send me a code. As a collector, if i like, i buy the disc. Some games that i don't have interest, i donate and support some streamers for them give the codes to the chat. I did lots of time on ChrisG stream per example.

Now u called me a liar...
Now and forward i will ignore your quotes.

You'll never see this but I don't know what being 42 or "working on games" has to do with it. Most people who take a jab at Wonder without playing it go "ohh Mario is an elephant now big deal" because elephant Mario is marketing/on the box. No one who has actually played the game gives a damn about elephant Mario or think it's supposed to be a new amazing feature...because they saw first-hand the actual new stuff the game is doing. I would venture to say that anyone who has played it and calls it "the same" as any prior Mario entry is not in their right mind, especially if they're familiar with game development.

Console warring like this will earn you a timeout.
You'll never see this but I don't know what being 42 or "working on games" has to do with it. Most people who take a jab at Wonder without playing it go "ohh Mario is an elephant now big deal" because elephant Mario is marketing/on the box. No one who has actually played the game gives a damn about elephant Mario or think it's supposed to be a new amazing feature...because they saw first-hand the actual new stuff the game is doing. I would venture to say that anyone who has played it and calls it "the same" as any prior Mario entry is not in their right mind, especially if they're familiar with game development.
It IS the same thing. Over and over and over and over again. Development doesnt mean shit.

Its ANOTHER 2D Mario with some new levels and powers. Noone gives a shit is production was all that different.
You bias towards NinYendo is crystal clear hombre.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It IS the same thing. Over and over and over and over again. Development doesnt mean shit.

Its ANOTHER 2D Mario with some new levels and powers. Noone gives a shit is production was all that different.
You bias towards NinYendo is crystal clear hombre.

Another guy who didn't play the game. lol.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying you haven't played it because you don't like it. I'm saying that because you don't know what it is. "Another 2D Mario with some new levels and powers" is NOT an accurate description of Wonder, whether you like the game or not.

Last edited:
Game feels incredibly old school in many ways yet has modern design decisions too that feel like out of a different game sometimes, its a facsinating mix imo. If Sonic CD is a Sonic 1 2, then this game would be a Sonic 1 3 since it builds off Sonic 1 and CD more with its design like how Mania built off of Sonic 2 and 3K. I enjoyed the game overall and am glad games like this can still be made today.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I do want to pick this one up - looks super fun, and it looks meaningfully different from previous games. In a way, I find it more interesting than if we just got Sonic Mania 2 (not to say I wouldn't love that to happen at some point.)

Avoiding the PC version like the plague, though - Denuvo and Epic login? C'mon now.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jesus Supersonic Christ. I am so incredibly disappointed by this game. Talk about a bait and switch.

The first two thirds of the game are genuinely good, for the most part. Easily the best Sonic game since the 90s, not counting Mania of course.

But holy freaking lord. The last third of this game is some of the absolute worst level design I have ever seen in any platformer, let alone Sonic game. On top of that, most of the bosses are somewhere between forgettable and truly awful.

I’m so bummed out about this game. It actually starts out very strong, but the further you get in, the worse it gets. I’m on the last two levels and I can’t even bring myself to beat them, they’re just so bad.

Sonic is one of my favorite franchises, and for a majority of this game, I was feeling pretty good about everything. But the latter half or so just unfathomably bad.

If this game had just ended 4 or 5 hours in, it’d be a total blast, worthy of replaying over and over. Instead, once I beat these last godforsaken levels, I’ll never touch this game again.

Don’t buy this game unless it’s $30 or less. Don’t be stupid like me.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Jesus Supersonic Christ. I am so incredibly disappointed by this game. Talk about a bait and switch.

The first two thirds of the game are genuinely good, for the most part. Easily the best Sonic game since the 90s, not counting Mania of course.

But holy freaking lord. The last third of this game is some of the absolute worst level design I have ever seen in any platformer, let alone Sonic game. On top of that, most of the bosses are somewhere between forgettable and truly awful.

I’m so bummed out about this game. It actually starts out very strong, but the further you get in, the worse it gets. I’m on the last two levels and I can’t even bring myself to beat them, they’re just so bad.

Sonic is one of my favorite franchises, and for a majority of this game, I was feeling pretty good about everything. But the latter half or so just unfathomably bad.

If this game had just ended 4 or 5 hours in, it’d be a total blast, worthy of replaying over and over. Instead, once I beat these last godforsaken levels, I’ll never touch this game again.

This is sadly kinda true. Started playing it before Wonder. Then beat Wonder, came back to Superstars, and after a few zones just kinda forgot it existed before beating it and went back to playing Sonic 2 and Sonic Adventure (I'm not joking). The level design is a truly mixed bag, which combined with the bad art design elements for a 2D platform game (to see WTF you are doing, at 200MPH) severely hurt an almost very good game.

Sonic Team took inspiration from fans that made good games and were on to something, but still don't understand Sonic enough to fill in some very basic gaps on their own. They just don't get Sonic. May the middling, almost good Sonics that release near Mario games while the team says "we want to exceed Sonic" continue. I hope this doesn't sell nearly as well as Mania, because I get the impression Sonic Team was spiteful of its success and thought they could just steal its winning ideas (like, uh, the Genesis physics there since 1991, brilliant minds) to make New! Sonic the Hedgehog.

One more thing, I got to try multiplayer since my early impressions. As I feared since the reveal trailer, it just doesn't work. Sonic is too fast-faced for single shared-screen multiplayer. It's disorienting and fundamentally broken. It's like they put it in just because Mario has it and wanted to have feature parity. Almost an example of them chasing Mario, they never will by trying to out-Mario Mario.

igxIIlw.png

Saber

Gold Member

I'm surprised John Linneman said anything remotelly positive about this game after playing Wonder. He had some criticism though.
Sometimes people think is harsh to criticize a product that was mediocre and sold as a premium experience, but I digress.
Mania is still ages above this and it wasn't expansive. Like I said numerous times, Sonic Team stolen the physics from Taxman and though that "all their problems were resolved", as it implies physics are only the problem with their games. And don't get me talking about Sonic 4 garbage tier level of music...

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Finally got around to playing this due to the Xbox sale. I really don't get why the review score average is so low. I'm about 9 stages and 3 bosses into the game and so far it's exactly what a 2d sonic revival should be. Hopefully it holds up as I continue to get play it, but this game is awesome.

EDIT: OK just read the post that the third portion of the game sucks. Damn. I hope I don' t hate it that much.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Game is $35 now on Amazon, I reckon that is worth the price now.

Oh and here is our review basically saying the same thing, too expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom