• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Splinter Cell will be open world (similar to Halo), and a more stealthy Assasin's Creed

It worked for Metal Gear I guess. But I'm skeptical. I'd still like a new entry so I guess we'll see how it goes.

I think fans will convince themselves its a failure before it comes out though and then miss it when its gone. Same thing happened to Conviction and Blacklist.
I dont think it will have the tight gameplay and controls from MGSV. Also, it will be heavily padded with useless content like the recent AC titles. Hopefully Im wrong, but its Ubisoft.

Kev Kev

yes please more open worlds thank you!!! i love the freedom to explore, find collectibles and do whatever i want. doing so in a stealth game like MGSV was one of the funnest game experiences ever. i dont even like splinter cell but i will happily give this a shot when it comes out

kikkis

I don't understand hate for open worlds, it's like so broad concept like saying you hate cars. To me linear games are bit bizarre with their level restrictions and often feel like you do only what the designers intended. To me good open world game really feels like a game with various systems to play with, instead of some story driven linear game where gameplay feels like an afterthought.

Elios83

It's Ubisoft, the game will be designed with microtransactions and other bullshit in mind to try to get more money out of it.
Open world means the Watch Dogs/Far Cry template will be used with some stealth moves thrown in.
Maybe I'm too negative but it's seriously hard to be excited about something Ubisoft these days.

I don't understand hate for open worlds, it's like so broad concept like saying you hate cars. To me linear games are bit bizarre with their level restrictions and often feel like you do only what the designers intended. To me good open world game really feels like a game with various systems to play with, instead of some story driven linear game where gameplay feels like an afterthought.

Because usually it means grinding, pointless and repetitive side missions. There's not many game studios that can pull off a good open world (Rockstar is one of them)

With a linear game you get all the good parts served to you, you don't have to work for them. Mafia 3 is a good example of this, you have to grind and do pointless missions just to unlock the real story missions. They were so tedious it made me quit playing.

SJRB

Gold Member
robert-downey-jr-shocked.gif

I wonder how Ubi is gonna fuck this one up.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I miss those sweet times when games had intricate, carefully designed levels. Just like original SC trillogy. It feels like they're incapable of creating anything like that anymore.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

After years of waiting for a new Splinter Cell, I decided after seeing how the Tom Clancy franchise is prostituted with each installment, wait no more, I wish they didn't do the same with good Old Sam and here we are. Again an Open World game. My expectations are very low

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If only we weren't forced at gunpoint to play open world games :pie_thinking:

Its less about that and the fact once again fans of an existing IP will have no intrest in the new edition, because the only thing it shares in common is the name.

Its a bit like the new Star Trek alot of trekkies don't watch it, but its not that they can't be uttely depressed at hack frauds hijacking there fandom to appeal to people who arnt them.

Last edited:
Concept worked for MGSV but we’re talking about Ubisoft here. It will basically be FarCry with night vision and enemies who can only look in one direction for 6ft.
Yep. I'd actually be interested in a more stealthy Ass Creed, but why does it have to be Splinter Cell? Give us a real Splinter Cell, god damnit.

Orta

Banned
Open world ffs. Every now and again I prefer to be held by the hand or run into a few dead ends.

Open world adventures, open world shooters, open world racers, enough!

Verchod

I don't see how they can get this wrong, and I don't see how an open world would work. It may of suited MGS V, though I thought it was really dull.
It you're going to copy any game, copy the recent Hitman games by having several large locations, so you have to infiltrate a whole complex maybe.
Open world sounds arse.

So basically the ubisoft template? Towers, outposts, big bloated map etc...

We need the return of more tighter, focused games again because open worlds are starting to become repetitive and soulless.

Notabueno

Banned
So Ubisoft will revive a franchise, just to ruin it for the sake of milking another prefab boring and alienating AF open-world?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Blacklist was ace, way better than the botched MGSV (and a complete and fulfilling product from start to finish, when MGSV pretty much blew its whole load with Ground Zeroes and didn't have much content on par with that in Phantom Pain's collectathon grinding open world, save for a story mission or two). The more open maps were great, I hope the same talent is in on this. The Briggs parts made me wish it was fully playable in fpv, other than artificially reducing his stealth options which otherwise would be kept intact, just to make him play a bit different to Sam, it worked great.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Make it like Phantom Pain sized levels, but urban with tons of routes like sort of Deus Ex/Phantom Pain/Spinter Cell. It would be cool if they came up with their own completely unique take but we know thats not going to happen to at least make a great pastiche.

arvfab

Banned
Never have been into Splinter Cell games, but seems like after Zelda and MGS, another franchise is getting its worst entry thanks to open world...

DaGwaphics

As expected people are crying over "open-world" when MGSV and the Hitman trilogy are the best stealth games of the last decade

I'd prefer a Hitman style mini open-world for SC, just so that you could have 4 or 5 of them in a game and have more locales. One big open world is more limiting in that way, but if the gameplay is still SC, I will support. Better than no SC at all.

Last edited:
There's potential for a great open-world Splinter Cell game but Ubisoft just aren't capable of delivering it. Expect mountains of pointless content and side missions and a cluttered map screen.

Whatever happened to less is more?

June

open world is not ideal but watch dogs 1 was a fantastic open world stealth game so this could be good too

June

As expected people are crying over "open-world" when MGSV and the Hitman trilogy are the best stealth games of the last decade

it seems like if mgs5 was a good stealth game it was in spite of it's open world not because of it.

the 10 minute travelling across barren wastelands just to get the the actual level/gameplay part was really off putting to me. i don't know if that improved later in the game, because i never finished it, but that was really bad in the early stages at least

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We need the return of more tighter, focused games again because open worlds are starting to become repetitive and soulless.

Or, and here's a crazy idea, they just make open world games less repetitive and with soul?

People are going to have to solve the drawbacks of linear game design if they want more of those games.

SteadyEvo

Sounds like Hitman/Splinter Cell. I’m good. Open world isn’t necessary. Just gimme some well designed office buildings, parking garages, homes, server rooms, etc. and slap on a decent story. Keep it simple.

Or, and here's a crazy idea, they just make open world games less repetitive and with soul?

People are going to have to solve the drawbacks of linear game design if they want more of those games.

What open world games out there would be a good template for you to really improve and take them forward? The only ones I can think of are rdr2 and breath of the wild. Notice how neither game has character leveling or skill trees?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Ass. Creed? Halo? They are trying to hide the fact that they will make an exact copy of MGS 5. Just say it Ubisoft, be a man!

MiguelItUp

So if this happens, we can expect Sam Fisher to have objectives where he must capture towers/stations/etc.

MGS and Hitman have already approached open world. We don't need another one. I'm sure fans of the genre and series don't want that whatsoever.

Knot3D

Could have been a lot worse:
- VR FPS
- Mobile only

- In any other case it could have been forced to be running on old game engine - now with open world, it's more likely to benefit from the latest tech.

Top Bottom