• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Teaser Trailer for HBO's Westworld - premieres October 2nd, 2016 [trailer 2 up!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a nice companion piece to HUMANS in a way, will be interesting to see how they remain different enough to be distinct.

Still i wonder how they will expand from the book and the movie as they add more seasons (if this is successful). Because the movie quality tells me a vault was spent on this and given the delays and rewrites there's no room for mistakes. This has to do the numbers or close to it to stay alive.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wow, HBO is going all in with this one. Looks amazing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's really happening isn't it?

westworld

;___;

I wonder exactly how they're gonna stretch this concept over multiple seasons. The movie really was just a slasher flick.

I'm assuming they've ditched the slasher angle (well, maybe one of the bots will go crazy and kill people at some point, but that won't be the focus of the entire season) and have made it more about the day to day experiences of the robots and the guests at Westworld.

They could also always add in Medieval World (maybe somehow reuse some of the Game of Thrones sets/costumes/props? maybe?) and Roman World for some added variety if the western angle starts to get stale/never catches on.

I'm really curious to see how well this thing will do though, too. Westerns aren't in vogue anymore and I'm not sure if 'AI robots' is a big enough hook to make the show the Next Big Thing for HBO. Here's hoping! (if it's good, that is)

Can you recommend any? I recently realized I don't know of any sci-fi TV shows currently on air.

In order, imo

The Expanse
Killjoys
Mr. Robot
12 Monkeys
Dark Matter
Orphan Black
The 100 (uneven episode quality though)

I haven't watched but I have heard good things about

Persons of Interest
Limitless (cancelled tho)
Humans

berzeli

Banned
Hmmm.

I'm underwhelmed. I just can't see them sustaining the premise over a season and that is the thing they need to sell me on.
The production values are excellent though.

CDX

Knew nothing before watching the trailer. After watching I read a bit about the 1973 movie.

So life like androids at a wild West theme park? And Michael Crichton wrote and directed the original 1973 movie.

Michael Crichton + Theme Park attractions gone awry, is giving me some slight Jurassic Park vibes.

I'm intrigued, but I hope this can work as a multi-year long series.

nomis

Welp guess I need to hunker down and watch all that Person of Interest I've had on the back burner. This looks way too good.

TTG

So, this is to be The Matrix set in a western? Maybe a bit smaller than entire human race enslaved though from what I saw. I bet the reaction wouldn't seem so tepid if there was not a cloud hanging over the production. Nothing looked terrible, I sort of liked it.

jett

D-Member
I guess I'll look into The Expanse first. Thanks for the recommendations.

Maybe that's why after shooting 2/3 of the season, they had to shut everything down for months to go back to the drawing board with the writing team to "polish up the scripts" or whatever. Lol.

welp

westworld

;___;

I'm assuming they've ditched the slasher angle (well, maybe one of the bots will go crazy and kill people at some point, but that won't be the focus of the entire season) and have made it more about the day to day experiences of the robots and the guests at Westworld.

They could also always add in Medieval World (maybe somehow reuse some of the Game of Thrones sets/costumes/props? maybe?) and Roman World for some added variety if the western angle starts to get stale/never catches on.

I'm really curious to see how well this thing will do though, too. Westerns aren't in vogue anymore and I'm not sure if 'AI robots' is a big enough hook to make the show the Next Big Thing for HBO. Here's hoping! (if it's good, that is)

It kinda seems like a limiting idea if the show is just gonna be set on the Westworld park. We'll see what they do with it.

Blader

Maybe that's why after shooting 2/3 of the season, they had to shut everything down for months to go back to the drawing board with the writing team to "polish up the scripts" or whatever. Lol.

They hadn't gone back to the drawing board, they just hadn't actually written the scripts for the last couple episodes yet. Which seems like a pretty egregious scheduling error. :lol

They got Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris in the show? And Cyclops too? That's better cast than the movie. I will give it a shot.

I could imagine a fella had no idea what Westworld is that trailer would be mighty perplexin'. I think it looks interesting but I dunno how the plot of the movie is going to be spread throughout a tv series.

westworld

;___;

Man, I hope so.
I love AI centric fiction and it's so weird to me that it's not more populair these days considering the kind of world we live in and what we're noticibly moving torwards.

berzeli

Banned

All I recall in the version that aired before GOT was a shot of one man with three women on top or around him. Maybe it's part of the alleged massive orgy sequence, or maybe it's just trades making assumptions for better headlines. It wasn't a big deal at all.

For anyone who wants to see the second of the not very titillating footage HBO Nordic has got you covered. (might be region locked) It is nothing.

duckroll

They hadn't gone back to the drawing board, they just hadn't actually written the scripts for the last couple episodes yet. Which seems like a pretty egregious scheduling error. :lol

That seems hard to believe though. How do you start shooting a series and get to a point where you run out of scripts? Isn't it more likely that what they wrote wasn't working out towards the end and they wanted to rethink it? I dunno which is worse though... lol.

I bet the climax of the first season will be Ed Harris losing his shit and murdering everyone. Why else hire someone with such intense eyes.

That seems hard to believe though. How do you start shooting a series and get to a point where you run out of scripts? Isn't it more likely that what they wrote wasn't working out towards the end and they wanted to rethink it? I dunno which is worse though... lol.

Yeah, it's definitely weird and a bit... disconcerting.

- EW: Westworld producers on future shock series: 'Reality will be boring'
Entertainment Weekly: What really excites you about the series, particularly now that it’s done and you have a sense of the full scope of the story you’re telling?

Jonathan Nolan: We wanted to go flat out, full scope, sleeves-rolled-up plunge into the next chapter of the human story, in which we stop being the protagonists, and our creations start taking over that role. We were fascinated by the tectonic plates that seem to be shifting into place right now – the argument over the creation of AI and what form it will take; VR finally coming online and our consciousness going “broadband,” allowing us to lose ourselves in an acid bath of experience that will be indistinguishable from reality (and only because reality will be the most boring level); and that, despite all of that, we remain, as a species, frustratingly broken, seemingly barreling towards disaster. So, yeah – that’s what we wanted the show to be about.

EW: Obviously the show had a lengthy production process. What did that extra time gain you in terms of polishing the show, or shaping the story?

Lisa Joy: The show is complicated and ambitious. For the first half of the series we were writing while in production and we needed the time to catch up on scripts. Taking that time allowed us to really finesse all the storylines we set up – deepening character arcs and delving further into the series’ larger mythological questions. By finishing all the episodes before returning to shooting, we were able to concentrate on production in the latter half of the show – making sure the last few episodes were as ambitious on the screen as they were on the page.
Short interview, with just one more question via the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom