• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New UK law proposed: rest of your life in jail with no parole for killing policemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
So kill them, then.

Nobody 'deserves' anything.

Rehabilitation isn't a chance - it is or it isn't. Either you've turned a vile person into a good person who can better society, or you've still got a bad person.

If you're giving up before you've even started, might as well bring back the death penalty. There's little difference in terms of negative impact on society.

Not sure that I am cool with the death penalty, but the whole-life tariff is definitely something I am in favour of, especially for the likes of the monsters I named above. I believe there are criminals who could not and indeed should not be rehabilitated, locking them away from the rest of decent society until they die is good for me. I'm probably not in favour of capital punishment because of the margin of error. I have read about some truly tragic miscarriages of justice from the states recently.

VariantX

Shouldn't the premeditated murder of anyone be punishable by life in prison? A person's occupation does not make a life anymore or less valuable than the next person's life.

kitch9

Banned
I don't mind a judge taking those things into account, but the effect of a law like this is to say other murders aren't as bad.

10 points for a policeman
9 for a child
8 for the elderly
7 for a woman etc.

A life is a life in my opinion.

The judge has to assess the circumstances of the murder, Stuart Hazell got 38 years minimum before he can apply for parole for instance....

I don't mind a judge taking those things into account, but the effect of a law like this is to say other murders aren't as bad.

10 points for a policeman
9 for a child
8 for the elderly
7 for a woman etc.

A life is a life in my opinion.

I understand your logic, but surely this happens already when it comes to sentencing? The judge will weigh up certain aggravating factors.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Life in prison with no parole? Why that's just uncivilized.

PJV3

I understand your logic, but surely this happens already when it comes to sentencing? The judge will weigh up certain aggravating factors.

I don't mind it to an extent, the judge can take account of cruelty etc, I just don't like life value written into law.

Dali

Isn't the possibility of parole a means of controlling prisoners and making deals have groups turn on each other for the best deal? If I never knew I was ever getting out of prison I just straight up wouldn't give a fuck.

Slayven

Two thirty year old men are brutally killed in identical circumstances

One is White

One is Black

You could not in a million years come out with a Pre-declared Law saying the death of either warrants a longer sentence than the other. You would get haranged and abused by every Civil Rights and activist group on the planet.

Why on Gods Earth should the occupation you chose make this any different?

Whats next - Murder of Policemen = Life Imprisonment, Murder of Politicians = minimum of 30 years, rest of Joe Public = 10 years in prison / out in five for good behaviour?

Text book natural's law.

So if the police wrongly murder you they'll be no charge along with a high level cover-up. If you murder a police officer you'll spend the rest of your life in jail? Sounds fair to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom