• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Comic Con 2012 lOTl Cosplayers, Video games, Comics, and Panels oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Hanged out with m0dus and SouSouRocket for about an hour or so. Fantastic duo; M0dus is laid back, SouSou's pretty energetic. Saw Tashi and a couple of the HaloGAF entourage. Twas fun. Mountain of pics coming tomorrow night as my DSLR's battery died. Mobile pics coming tomorrow as well; maybe a few when I get home if I feel up to it. Carlos Ferro was pretty cool as well. Worked at IGN, saw the Firefly Panel; it was sweet; the little girl cosplaying as the chick's character was sweet. Now I'm hanging out at the crew room talking to people waiting for more work if any at all. Doubt it. Nonetheless, it's been a hell of good time; I'm going to be sad to go back to reality on Monday. :(

Enough rambling. I'm tired, bored, and don't want to go home yet.

SUPARSTARX

What a long day of walking and standing. Took lots of pics, bought stuff I wanted that I didn't cuz Friday I was busy looking mean. Swaggity swag!

Bumped into DTJAAAM again while my friend was waiting for Sara Jean Underwood photo op.

Shadow780

Yeah the Firefly panel was great. ALOT, I mean holy fuck a lot more people this year came for the marquee panels at IGN than last. Even with Walking Dead and Avengers I was able to get a seat 2 hours before, but man this time I had to wait in the queue and watch the monitors until 5pm.

Luckily a lot of folks left after Walking Dead so more people who's outside waiting for Firefly came in. Oh and Firefly fans are still devoted lunatics, it was a great panel.

Nathan was there as a "surprise".

Tomorrow I'm gonna check out the demos I haven't played, and hopefully bump into you Jipan.

Was there practically all day in the IGN theater. Highlight until Walking Dead and Firefly was definitely The Conjuring. That clip was just fricking amazing *clap clap* Bruce in the Evil Dead panel was amazing as well. The remake is now on my must see list as well. Didn't know Carrie was being remade and didn't know they would be there today! Of course the last two panels were fantastic was sitting next to the Michone pet cosplayer most of the day. Looked amazing

The Bay looks like it could be pretty creepy too bad it's limited. Beautiful Creatures... not too sure about that but it looks like it could be fun

Jhoan

Yeah the Firefly panel was great. ALOT, I mean holy fuck a lot more people this year came for the marquee panels at IGN than last. Even with Walking Dead and Avengers I was able to get a seat 2 hours before, but man this time I had to wait in the queue and watch the monitors until 5pm.

Luckily a lot of folks left after Walking Dead so more people who's outside waiting for Firefly came in. Oh and Firefly fans are still devoted lunatics, it was a great panel.

Nathan was there as a "surprise".

Tomorrow I'm gonna check out the demos I haven't played, and hopefully bump into you Jipan.
I'm a pretty animated guy, so it shouldn't be too hard to spot me. The only thing is that I have a tendency of speaking quickly; probably because Spanish is my second language. Still working on that, but if I relax, I can speak very smoothly. I think they're gonna be working me to the bone on Show Floor; no more slacking off, but again, I'm pretty ubiquitous; the Floor is surprisingly
small despite the chaos. Definitely want to see/work at the Sleeping Dogs panel; will make sure I do.

Salaadin

Back home now, back to reality. This fucking sucks :(

Just want to thank Jipan for the great OP and for keeping it updated throughout. Also, thanks Amirox and Tom Cody for the tips they gave me. Made things much easier when I had an idea of what to expect.

We are already talking about next year so, hopefully, this was my first of many NYCCs. I had a great time and really hate that its over. So many great people.

Jhoan

Missed Sleeping Dogs. Gonna head to the hell that is the Show Floor. Saw m0dus earlier in regular clothes while working. Haven't been in a good mood to take pics at all. Gonna see if I cheer up by dealing with people. I'll be around; remember 6.3 Hispanic dude with silver framed glasses, an Xbox 360 badge holder, a spiky necklace and a faux hawk. See you folks there.

rCIZZLE

Well, that's it for another year at NYCC. Even though I was pretty irritated at times due to little sleep and construction making every area packed, I got a lot more done at this con than any other I've been to. Only thing I missed, exclusive, panel, or signing, was Kirkman but he's just too big of an industry star now to meet without some planning. Also took a lot less pics than normal. Guess I was still pictured out from my first trip to SDCC.

Spent a nice chunk of time on the floor doing blog stuff. There were highlights and definite lowlights during the time in NY, but the highlights were amazing.

DTJAAAAM

About to fly back to Seattle. The costuming was MUCH better this year in my opinion, so I'm leaving on a happy note. Wish I could have had more time for celeb photos, but I'd rather spend my time hunting for cosplayers instead. The rest of my pics should be up in a day or two.

BiggNife

Not going to lie, this year was disappointing for me.

First off I wasn't able to meet up with one of my friends on Saturday because the cell signal was so congested neither of us could get any calls or texts out, and on top of that I went to the Oni Press booth when they were giving out Bryan Lee O Malley tickets (10:15) on BOTH Saturday and Sunday and both times I missed out on getting a ticket. I'm kinda bitter about it, since the signing was the main reason I went on Sunday, and I was told by someone at Oni that they would give out the tickets the same way they did on Saturday but instead they gave them out at random instead of first come first serve. I really hope next year they're a bit more clear about how many tickets are going to be given out and when, because I felt cheated.

But eh, I still got some signings from some other artists I like and I got a sweet AC3 t-shirt, so it wasn't a total loss. I'll be back next year but I don't think I can do 3 days again.

e: Also DTJAAAAM, I'm pretty sure we exchanged Streetpasses :D

Shadow780

I'm beat, pretty sure my pedometer will indicate I've walked more steps in 3 days than a month. A lot more kids today running around while I tried to play some leftover demos. Didn't get to play any of the WiiU stuffs except MH3UHD, the lines got ridiculous in the afternoon.

Got some mint black labeled PSX RPG games, able to wiggle it down some more due to the last day of convention. Played the shit out of 4 player Pac-Man vs. arcade, why isn't this game not on digital stores yet?! It was serious fun and something I definitely want to own when I get my own man cave.

Sorry I didn't get to see any of you guys except Kisaya, cell/data reception automatically turned to shit once I entered the center, one thing I hated about NYCC. Definitely coming back next year, hopefully we can get together by then.

Now I wait for my inevitable post-con flu to kick in tomorrow so I look like a zombie all day.

SUPARSTARX

About to fly back to Seattle. The costuming was MUCH better this year in my opinion, so I'm leaving on a happy note. Wish I could have had more time for celeb photos, but I'd rather spend my time hunting for cosplayers instead. The rest of my pics should be up in a day or two.

Gaaahhhhh, dat Meagan Marie :( :( :(

modus and sousou found me and one more guy I forgot whose name. Nice seeing ya folks!

8088159671_5758c63c05_c.jpg

8088164199_15dbb12b8b_c.jpg

8088165531_8a5a3c7bac_c.jpg

All the Batman are hiding from me!!

I think my favorite moment of NYCC, maybe the year, was on the ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES panel when I asked Lance Henricksen how he felt about acting in a videogame and he reminded us all that he's done it several times before - and then out of nowhere dropped a pitch-perfect "Hackett out" that got a huge response from the audience. I was like HOLY SHIT YOU WERE IN MASS EFFECT. So awesome. He was a really nice guy and his Bishop anecdotes are all solid gold. Hopefully they'll put the video of the panel up at some point.

Met some GAFers, got photo'd by DTJAAAAM and either StreetPassed with Stan Lee or someone with a very convincing Stan Lee Mii. I PREFER THE FORMER.

Tons of crazy swag, got to meet Bryan Lee O'Malley on Friday, sorry to BiggNife for him missing out. Awesome time cosplaying as well, Beat was VERY well received. Lots of happy fans. I was excited to see a Parappa, too!

Great con, wish I had more time for Panels but maybe next year. Hope everyone had fun!

MG310

Missed the Amano sig, but got my Peter Davison and Sean Astin sigs, so all is well. Peter Davison was an ASSHOLE to everyone on line (and he also disappeared for like 2/3 of the day, despite his 'schedule'), but Sean Astin was like overcompensating for Davison's assholeness or something (he was situated right next to Peter's line), because he was just excessively nice. Also while I was waiting in line for Sean Astin, he came in with his entourage THROUGH Lou Ferrigno's line, and took the time to shake hands with like half the Davison line and say hi to everyone in the nicest, most effusive manner. Really weird to see a celebrity THAT nice, reminded me of when I met Nicki Clyne in NYCC 2010 as she was walking to her line, and she stopped and had the time to have a long conversation with me and my sister and even told her agent to fuck herself and argued with her over when she could take a pic with us.

While in line for Christopher Lloyd on Friday morning the staff kept talking about how nice Astin was too...and he came over and took a pic with the guy near me who asked while he was putting up the pictures at the back of his line.

Did anyone else go to the St. Jude's charity auction on Saturday night? There was a bunch of extra stuff added at the last minute and the Javits staff was getting pissed that it almost went to 11 PM. I won a Gabriel Hardman Hulk page for 100 Learned it was Red Hulk after the fact but i'm not holding that against it :D

SUPARSTARX

Hopefully I didn't look too bad in my first cosplay.

Anybody looking to head in for PAX East? All the 3 days are sold out. :(

Would have to stomach three 1 day passes at this point.

Air

Banned
Did anybody get their hands on that Necomimi brainwave cat ears device? I'm not really into that kind of 'thing' but the contraption was pretty cool. I knew brainwave devices were on the market, but these were.. different. Also I met Bob Camp (co-creator of Ren & Stimpy) in artist alley and that was neat. The Wii-U was very nice as well. I enjoyed Super Mario Wii U, but wish I had some more hands on time with it.

BiggNife

Met some GAFers, got photo'd by DTJAAAAM and either StreetPassed with Stan Lee or someone with a very convincing Stan Lee Mii. I PREFER THE FORMER.

Tons of crazy swag, got to meet Bryan Lee O'Malley on Friday, sorry to BiggNife for him missing out. Awesome time cosplaying as well, Beat was VERY well received. Lots of happy fans. I was excited to see a Parappa, too!

Great con, wish I had more time for Panels but maybe next year. Hope everyone had fun!
Yeah, I think I might have had a chance if I got there Friday morning. Saturday there were too many people and Sunday they only had 30 tickets (which would have been nice to know beforehand).

I was legitimately angry earlier today since the main reason I went today was for the signing and I don't think Oni did a good job of explaining the ticket situation, but ah well. Chances are he'll be there next year for the next two color SP volumes and Seconds, so at least I'll have another chance.

I think my favorite moment of NYCC, maybe the year, was on the ALIENS: COLONIAL MARINES panel when I asked Lance Henricksen how he felt about acting in a videogame and he reminded us all that he's done it several times before - and then out of nowhere dropped a pitch-perfect "Hackett out" that got a huge response from the audience. I was like HOLY SHIT YOU WERE IN MASS EFFECT. So awesome. He was a really nice guy and his Bishop anecdotes are all solid gold. Hopefully they'll put the video of the panel up at some point.

That was a pretty amazing moment.

Getting to see Joel Hodgson was probably the craziest thing for me all weekend, although the Free Shit/Podcast Beyond panel was hilarious and crazy as well.

Did anybody get their hands on that Necomimi brainwave cat ears device? I'm not really into that kind of 'thing' but the contraption was pretty cool. I knew brainwave devices were on the market, but these were.. different. Also I met Bob Camp (co-creator of Ren & Stimpy) in artist alley and that was neat. The Wii-U was very nice as well. I enjoyed Super Mario Wii U, but wish I had some more hands on time with it.

My friend bought it and tried it out later. It seems like it works but you have to calibrate the thing every time you put it on.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I will have to keep you guys all posted on when I'll be on TV for the sci-fi speed dating show. I had my date today and it was pretty cool, girl is awesome but it's kinda unnerving having cameras follow you around and then having to give a short interview on what you thought of the girl.

Here's a link to the pictures I took at NYCC:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151107923538983.452329.580308982&type=1&l=c9d2710fc1

Some samples (Relm was my favorite cosplayer):

You took a pic of me and I didn't even know it!!! XD thanks!!! Love your shots, my sister has been browsing your site for the last 30 mins linking me to cool costumes.

Air

Banned
My friend bought it and tried it out later. It seems like it works but you have to calibrate the thing every time you put it on.

That makes sense. I figure that tech is still being developed to be reliable. It was neat though. I did wish it could do more than rotate, but I guess that's what revisions are for.

Jhoan

All right, so with NY Comic Con now unfortunately all said and done and bittersweet farewells said to tons of coworkers, here are some much promised pictures. I'll post a few more depressing ones of the Show Floor being torn apart that I took earlier today as well as maybe one or two that offer a glimpse into what it's like working at the Con. The rest (which are ton), I'll add to an album on Facebook and share the link here in a future post. It seems that I've become a bit of a celebrity here on GAF; the OP came in due part to contributions from several Gaffers as well as me being on the inside of the working front passing on the information from the group page.

I want to thank all the GAF folks I saw; m0dus, SouSouRocket, and Tashi for having a chat with them and hanging out with them for a while. Unfortunately I didn't see the rest of you but I swear, I saw SUPARSTARX several times and kept giving him puzzled looks as I thought about whether to ask him if he was from GAF. I saw m0dus in regular clothes earlier and was caught by surprise. You guys are great; I'm definitely glad I'm not on m0dus' "To ban" list and doubt I ever will be. Can I haz tag m0dus?
I'm pulling your leg. :D

Without further ado, here are some pics which I know certain people are going to be very happy about and/or reply with a "Oh, I saw you doing so and so, but I didn't say anything." These are a combination of mobile and DSLR pictures. The ones that don't look fuzzy/are high res are the DSLR pictures; you can deduce which ones are the phone pictures.

Poison Ivy? More like Hot Ivy. Am I rite? Of course no hover handing here folks. She was very friendly.
Etkwvl.jpg

Representing Dat GAF on the Chevy Graffiti board in case anybody from GAF passed it:
TDnqql.jpg

The location of the tag for reference. I also drew the dude with the glasses on the right side and left my real signature on which is hard to make out:
ZxA32l.jpg

I found this fine specimen of HaloGAF while talking to some guys who haven't gotten approved their GAF account approved. Apparently, they spotted him out and we proceeded to have a bro moment reminiscing about EviLore gracing our presence back in the NYC GAF February Meet up. This folks is Tashi (who looks like Ethan Suplee) talking about Halo 4 stuff to an unapproved GAF member:

Vy3x9l.jpg

This Batman was such a boss. Will need to fix the blur on Photoshop (DSLR picture), but he was so nice. Hell, cosplayers are nice people in general. I got a lot of attention for doing such a dramatic pose that it got the attention of multiple photographers who also took the shot. Who knows? I might just be famous now.:D
mIh3el.jpg

The only thing missing in this picture was a Bane and it would've completed the trifecta:
LNLTel.jpg

Some female X-Men representation in the house:
Ep31sl.jpg

Another fantastic cosplayer. Of course, saluting with the Captain as a pose was a must:
5dW2al.jpg

Not only did this guy have such an amazing costume, but he was very patient with retaking the shots since the lady who took the pictures was getting the shots out of focus. I thanked many, many times after we got finally got it right:

Some cosplayers I bumped into. One of which happens to be a moderator on a popular video game forum who's famous for his wall papers and his girlfriend, a walking tank who got stopped every two seconds for pictures/compliments and looks like Jessica Alba. She also said that nobody hover handed in pictures that they took with her:
IeVhUl.jpg

Oblivious to me was the fact the man standing in front of me was none other than Carlos Ferro, the voice of Dom from the Gears of War series. When I asked him if it was him, he proudly confirmed it and shook my hand like a boss. I really love how this shot came out in particular; the over the shoulder view makes it look Gears sans the HUD:
t81Jkl.jpg

It seems Carlos Ferro also happened to have a soft spot for this particular cosplayer so much that he held her Retro Lancer while looking my camera (OMG! Carlos Ferro looked at my camera *swoon*) and...
H3PjPl.jpg

Signed her sleeve like a boss and exclaimed "Sup, bitches!" I was disappointed he didn't say his most famous line"Maria?! MARIIIIIIA!" Notice the Assassin in the background; he was making sure that Carlos Ferro didn't pull a fast one on her and had his hidden blade ready to stab Carlos Ferro if necessary.
BcPZol.jpg

The stoic Assassin told me I could only take a hover hand picture only, otherwise he was going to ban me from a from a forum that he's a moderator on for touching both of them and threatened to stab me with the giant pink Retro Lancer that he toted around. The stoic Assassin was also trying not to laugh:
LFVPwl.jpg

Fresh off the Carlos Ferro signing, and being the designated personal photographer for these two cosplayers, we bumped into this fantastic man who happens to be an animator for Epic Games and has been working there for 13 years. EDIT: This is Chris Wells and I just realized this guy is a beast! I told the Gears of War cosplayer to jump into the picture. I then proceeded to gush my guts out to him about my dreams of joining the game industry and had him sign my sketchbook as well as told me to e-mail him:
fVdyhl.jpg

A few inches later, this bad ass looking Master Chief wanted a picture with the COG cosplayer. Halo GAF be damned. The blur in the background makes the shot look so good:
eSaX9l.jpg

A group of Firefly fans cosplaying as the entire Firefly characters after the said panel ended:
nNyxjl.jpg

DTJAAAAM

You took a pic of me and I didn't even know it!!! XD thanks!!! Love your shots, my sister has been browsing your site for the last 30 mins linking me to cool costumes.

No prob, dude, thanks for posing. Always fun to see who ends up being a GAF member.

Landed safely, so now it's time to work on Saturday (~400) and Sunday (~150) photos. Stay tuned!

SUPARSTARX

Haha what booth were you working Jipan? I didn't read up all these threads closely enough. May have made eye contact with you since I kinda remember dat babyface now.

Salaadin

Jipan, you look so familiar. I want to say that I saw you but I saw so many people that it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me.

I think next year I want to make more of an effort to track down some gaffers.
Id also love to meet some NYCC regulars so we can have yearly meetups or something. I talked to a few people while I was there but thats where it ended. I should have gotten some contact info so we could keep in touch.

Some pics:

Me and Jessica Nigri at the Zenescope booth (I wasnt even looking at the camera when my brother took the photo and, as a result, I look so bored or something. Trust me. I wasnt bored.)
IMG_0027.jpg

Master Roshi
DSC00143.jpg

Promethus dude
DSC00129.jpg

Wolfwood (loved this guy. He was the only Wolfwood I saw)
DSC00119.jpg

Captain America (This guy was awesome. I walked past and yelled "Captain, can I get your picture? and he immediately says "YES SIR!" and salutes. He was great)
DSC00044.jpg

Wolverine
DSC00031.jpg

Catwoman (picture doesnt do her justice. She was stunning)
DSC00104.jpg

SUPARSTARX

8088121097_817d56e963_c.jpg

One piece!

8088177476_5d1dda4b62_c.jpg

Me and some chick that did Little Sister. Apparently it's one of the best on the internet. I can see why.

8088162668_8c735fb365_c.jpg

This beauty was a whooping 6'1"!!!!

8088161575_eee1e6ced4_c.jpg

Joan from Mad Men. Underrated cosplay because of how easy it is to get the outfit but she looks like her a bit

8088165094_ca96e0fd55_c.jpg

Of course, running around as Bane I had to find as many Batman related fans as well.

8088160752_e6753642da_c.jpg

8088152285_f2a1a5a173_c.jpg

8088143310_92a07b2af4_c.jpg

8088139246_dc8669e313_c.jpg

8084730556_b3fb01814f_c.jpg

8084764413_b123e12d7b_c.jpg

8084763233_4e83287ce9_c.jpg

8081458582_f0e2beaea6_c.jpg

keiichi

Had a blast at NYCC, did not expect Sunday to be as packed as it was. Cosplayers kicked it up a notch, there were tons of Ironfists too!

Bummed that we missed the TMNT wish they were there on the weekend :(

I didn't really like this year as much as past ones. Maybe the magic has just worn off or something, but it felt like more of a hassle to me than it did an enjoyable weekend. Main reason for that is there being WAY too many people. Someone in a Wii U line told me they actually sold less tickets than last year, but that seems really odd to me. Maybe after experiencing E3 for the first time this year which has half the attendance has colored my expectations.

That being said, there was still cool stuff. Finally got a REAL chance to play Wonderful 101 and it was great. Saw so many kids playing M rated games at the Nintendo booth, so I guess the guys there were pretty lenient.

Also went to the Children's Hospital panel, which was hilarious. That's the only one I went to this year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom