• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York on verge of tuition-free college for middle class

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes it so that the state isn't spending money for kids to get educated and go to another state. The state is serving it's own interests, and justifiably so. Many state funded scholarships/grants (not just in NY) will require recipients to stay in their respective states for at least a couple of years. The state has to make a return on it's investment somehow. Imagine you got paid by your job to get some specialized training and you immediately left for a competitor.

Yeah there are shitty situations but there has to be some checks and balances here for it to be somewhat sustainable.

Well I hope there is at least a process to apply for exemptions in certain cases.

Foffy

Banned
This would be a hell of a deal if New York's public universities were decent.

Not at all. The UC system is unrivaled. Berekley and UCLA are the two best public universities n the country and the gap between them and the rest of the field is enormous. Plus Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, and San Diego are all top 50 schools in the country. The only mediocre UC schools are Merced and Riverside, both of which are still better than any NY university besides Buffalo and Binghamton.

SUNY is straight crap in comparison. The best SUNY university (Binghatom) doesn't even make the top 80.

oh_my_cornel_west.gif

Holy shit.

Amir0x

Banned
given that i took out a government loan that i've been slowly paying back, and that anyone else in the middle class could easily do what i did without obstacles (if their government provided such a loan program), free tuition is something i always have a hard time getting behind.

The epitome of "well I had it harder so everyone else should too."

Pretend the bill doesn't exist. But you don't have to pretend you won't receive all the benefits of a society that has more contributors of college-educated variety.

More like

Great initiative, sucks that they force students to reside for a certain amount of time, if you get a good offer after graduating elsewhere you will have to suck it up, understandable they want those benefited to give something back in return, but still sucks.

People dragging down progress because they had it worse. come the fuck on.

given that i took out a loan that i've been slowly paying back, and that anyone else in the middle class could easily do what i did without obstacles (if their government provided such a loan program), free healthcare is something i always have a hard time getting behind.

Sounds familiar.

If NY public universities were decent? Lol So they all suck to you?

I think he might have been a little harsh, but there's a massive, MASSIVE quality gap between where the top UC schools are and where SUNY is.

UC Berkley is at #1 among all public institutions and #20 Nationally, UCLA is at #2, UC Santa Barbara is at #8, UC Irvine is at #9, UC Davis and San Diego tied at #10, etc.

the highest SUNY school is at #36 among the top public schools, and #86 nationally.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

From US news, so take it with the appropriate salt grains.

nowhere in the same league. I wouldn't NOT take the deal if I was the average student, but there's a hell of a quality gap between the two.

I don't even live in CA- I'm in PA and this is obvious.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I have $80k debt at a Texas state school. It's easy. $8k tuition + $10-12k living multiplied by 3-5 years.
*hint*

The qualifier was SUNY schools. State University of New York.

Also the comparison between the UC systems in terms of "rank" is superfluous. One system is offering free tuition, the other is not.

Lo-Volt

Great initiative, sucks that they force students to reside for a certain amount of time, if you get a good offer after graduating elsewhere you will have to suck it up, understandable they want those benefited to give something back in return, but still sucks.

People dragging down progress because they had it worse. come the fuck on.

But this is a state initiative. They're spending state tax revenue to provide this. It's only natural that Albany would seek the benefit to the New York workforce. State universities charge more to out-of-state residents to attend their public universities, after all. With that in mind, I don't see how this is odd...

Also. This is so Cuomo 2020. Book it.

Not how it works. Your parents income is taken into account on the FAFSA until you turn 24 regardless of whether they claim you or not.

not necessarily true. There are ways around that.

Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, in foster care or was a ward of the court when 13 years or older;
Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or serving on active duty for other than training purposes;
Be a graduate or professional student;
Be a married individual;
Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
Be an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship;
Be a homeless youth;
Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.

but generally outside of unusual circumstances, just having them not claim you on taxes won't do it- otherwise EVERYONE would go this route.

Bronx-Man

Banned
given that i took out a government loan that i've been slowly paying back, and that anyone else in the middle class could easily do what i did without obstacles (if their government provided such a loan program), free tuition is something i always have a hard time getting behind.

This is like a reverse 'fuck you, i got mine'

Will they still get pell grants and state university grants?

If this was in California it would be amazing. Average CSU is like ~7K per year. Imagine if they covered Tuition and we still got Pell and Cal/University Grants which add up to like ~11K.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't think so. Tell your folks not to claim you.

They don't. I've been independent for years. I was only wondering if living with my father would affect this. I make ~$45k a year, but combined with his under this household, and we are over $100k. So long as this counts your tax status, whether you're independent, then I should be fine.

Does any article state how the money for this will be gotten? I can't imagine they just "moved" numbers around in the budget until they came up with 163 mill+ a year.

Sounds like a selfish question, but I commute into NY from NJ every day. How expensive state taxes are kind of factors into my decision whether I'm better off taking a lower paying job in NJ or working in NY.

After they graduate, students who receive the scholarship must live and work in New York for the same number of years they received funding. If they leave the state, their scholarship will be converted into a loan.

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously, that's pretty scummy.

ItIsOkBro

If I have to suffer, everyone should, it's the American way. Not to gang up on you, but this is exactly how we got to where we are.

but it's not suffering. i just don't what's being solved. this is being framed as allowing more people to go to university, but these middle class students can already go, with a loan. unless a lot of people aren't going to university because they fear borrowing money.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's an interesting experiment that I hope more states will try out.

Or you could move to Germany if you want free university (seriously)

but it's not suffering. i just don't what's being solved. this is being framed as allowing more people to go to university, but these middle class students can already go, with a loan. unless a lot of people aren't going to university because they fear borrowing money.

It solves people going into hilarious amounts of debt for an education that may not be able to pay back that debt. Sucks you didn't get this deal because you were born too early but wishing the same upon future generations isn't how it's supposed to work.

Just another version of, "Fuck you, I got mine."

theWB27

Education shouldn't put you in debt. Not everyone who gets a degree get into their careers right away and what they make can't pay back that debt.

Sometimes it feels like the worst thing is to be a family with dual 70k a year earners. We make too much to qualify for damn near every tax break or assistance program but not enough where we don't have to worry about bills all the time.

Alienfan

I'm never a fan when they base these programs around how much your parents earn (it would be nice if it was open to everyone), I understand they do because generational wealth etc, but it assumes your parents pay for your education when they're earning over that certain amount. Wish that was true. But still, this will help a lot of people!!

ItIsOkBro

It solves people going into hilarious amounts of debt for an education that may not be able to pay back that debt. Sucks you didn't get this deal because you were born too early but wishing the same upon future generations isn't how it's supposed to work.

this thing requires that you have a job for 4 years. it basically requires that you'd be financially able to pay back a loan.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
this thing requires that you have a job for 4 years. it basically requires that you'd be financially able to pay back a loan.

I'd like to see one state do it like that, and another state do a "no strings attached" plan, and see what the results are after 8 years.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not sure it says that. It seems more flexible than how you describe it. And, the key difference is even if you're financially able to pay back the load you won't have to, the idea likely being that money gets back to the state eventually.

We'd have to see the actual legislation to be sure though.

Not really, they want you to work for 4 years in the state so that you're paying NY state taxes for 4 years as way of putting back into the system. How else would they keep funding if everyone gets a 4 year then leaves to another state right after?

I'm never a fan when they base these programs around how much your parents earn (it would be nice if it was open to everyone), I understand they do because generational wealth etc, but it assumes your parents pay for your education when they're earning over that certain amount. Wish that was true. But still, this will help a lot of people!!

Yea. Exactly. Kinda irks my family doesn't qualify because we earn too much but I hope by the time my daughter is of age for college we will have put enough money away for a decent state school.

milkham

This would be a hell of a deal if New York's public universities were decent.

Not at all. The UC system is unrivaled. Berkeley and UCLA are the two best public universities in the country and the gap between them and the rest of the field is enormous. Plus Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara, and San Diego are all top 50 schools in the country. The only mediocre UC schools are Merced and Riverside, both of which are still better than any NY university besides Buffalo and Binghamton.

SUNY is straight crap in comparison. The best SUNY university (Binghatom) doesn't even make the top 80.

As a graduate of Binghamton, I can't disagree with you.

Aurongel

Came out of SUNY with 11K debt and a CS degree, the education is solid enough but the area and job opportunities around their schools are total trash. I'm still on the weekly job listing email group for SUNY and its downright pitiful.

The stipulation that you have to work in NY for a certain amount of time actually seems pretty smart.

Came out of SUNY with 11K debt and a CS degree, the education is solid enough but the area and job opportunities around their schools are total trash. I'm still on the weekly job listing email group for SUNY and its downright pitiful.

The stipulation that you have to work in NY for a certain amount of time actually seems pretty smart.

If you're not in NYC or able to commute to NYC yea...Prospects are trash.

You make it sound like you're stuck in Kentucky or Iowa after this and not New York.

Upstate New York basically is Kentucky or Iowa in terms of long-term employment prospects. Its a wasteland.

Meanwhile, in NYC you are at a heavy disadvantage due to the fact that you're competing for jobs with people who went to much better universities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom