• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News agency tries to withdraw picture of French President, Streisand effect ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francois Hollande's gormless grin has France in hysterics

BTPdlAlCYAAaG16.jpg

Hollande-530x344.jpg

An unflattering picture of François Hollande has sparked an internet storm in France after being leaked to Twitter.

In the image - which the main French news agency AFP attempted to withdraw from circulation - the French president looks like a gormless underachiever as he grins in front of a blackboard on which is written: "Today, it's back to school".

The photograph was taken on Tuesday during Mr Hollande's visit to a school in Denain, northern France, to coincide with the start of term for hundreds of thousands of French pupils. It appears he was pulling a funny face to make the pupils laugh.

The original image came with the caption: "During a visit to the school Denain Michelet, September 3, 2013, Francois Hollande smiles, chairing a panel discussion on the reform of school timetables established by the government."

AFP initially posted the picture on its website as available for downloading but – apparently concerned it was inappropriate for a head of state – both later issued a "mandatory kill" notice, meaning the photo must not be used.

AFP wrote: "Due to an editorial decision this photo has been withdrawn. Please remove from all your systems. We are sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for your cooperation."

Despite the ban, however, the image quickly hit social media sites like Twitter, and sparked a flurry of comments.

One wrote: "Here is the new official photo of François Hollande. Please put up in all town halls!"
Another wrote that no amount of Photoshop editing software "can make the president look more intelligent".

A third, in a slightly subtler dig at plans to raise the state pension age, suggested Mr Hollande was thinking: "How can I tell them they're going to have to retire at 80?"

Once renowned as being one of France's funniest politicians with a knack for the bon mot, Mr Hollande has toned down his humour since becoming president, to accord more closely with the gravitas of his status as French head of state.

Quizzed by French media, AFP insisted it had come no pressure from the Elysée Palace to withdraw the photo, which continued to be available through Reuters on a pooled basis.

Agencies withdrawing photos of public figures is very rare in France, hence the questions over why a state-funded agency like AFP would attempt to withdraw the image at a time when Mr Hollande wants to appear solemn over Syria and is commemorating the Nazi war atrocity of Oradour-sur-Glane.

Philippe Massonnet, news director at AFP, said: "Has this photo been withdrawn because the Elysée intervened to ask us to do so? The answer is no, that's absolutely clear."

He did not provide any reasons why the agency removed the photo due to an "editorial issue" but conceded: "The decision to erase this photo has only amplified the buzz and increased suspicion."
Le Point magazine's website said the French president appeared to be the victim of the so-called "Streisand effect", which Wikipedia defines as "the phenomenon whereby an attempt to hide, remove, or censor a piece of information has the unintended consequence of publicising the information more widely, usually facilitated by the Internet".

Mr Massonet said the decision to "kill" the photo was made after an "internal debate" among editorial staff due to the initial buzz the photo had created yesterday.

"It was decided to kill the photo as we considered in retrospect that it provided nothing in news terms." The agency then published another photo from the series in which the president's smile looks slightly less clownish.

Mr Massonnet said such decisions were taken "daily".

"There are choices to be made. In war photos, for example, we can decide not to broadcast bloodthirsty or degrading images," he told Nouvel Observateur website.

In his defence, he added: "Unlike certain media, when we make a mistake, we correct it. We make modifications to our copy and we 'kill' our photos. But this case remains exceptional, even more so when it concerns a photo of a (figure of) authority."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...es-gormless-grin-has-France-in-hysterics.html

Tesseract

Banned
Back to school
Back to school
To prove to Dad that I'm not a fool

I got my lunch packed up
My boots tied tight
I Hope I don't get in a fight
Ohhhhhhh

Back to school
Back to school
Back to school

Kurtofan

I don't see the problem with removing the picture, and I don't believe they were pressured or something. It's not really the sort of picture you use in a serious article, it's more like a picture for a satirical article.

gormless

stupid or slow-witted; adjective - (Oxford English Dictionary definition) also describes one who is lacking in composure, grace, intellect, style etc.

KPJZKC

How quick everyone is to forgive Sarkozy. Unless all the french on GAF are right wing conservatives...?

Mael

How quick everyone is to forgive Sarkozy. Unless all the french on GAF are right wing conservatives...?

How?
Time.
No one remembers how fucking horrible Mitterend was or how fucking useless Chirac even was.
Only the militant left still shit on Sarkozy like it's 2007, the rest have moved on and look up to him because of how terrible Hollande actually is.

Good point for Hollande though, thanks to him the catholic shit heads now know what it is to get on the wrong end of a stick in protests.
For that alone I'd say he was great.

Simplet

How?
Time.
No one remembers how fucking horrible Mitterend was or how fucking useless Chirac even was.
Only the militant left still shit on Sarkozy like it's 2007, the rest have moved on and look up to him because of how terrible Hollande actually is.

Good point for Hollande though, thanks to him the catholic shit heads now know what it is to get on the wrong end of a stick in protests.
For that alone I'd say he was great.

What's so terrible about Hollande? He's just kind of there.

Kind of like Chirac, people love him now.

Mael

What's so terrible about Hollande? He's just kind of there.

Kind of like Chirac, people love him now.

It's because he's just kind of there that he's terrible.
There's pressing issues to deal with and he just goes with the flow.
He's also a terrible leader, unlike Chirac.

The real crime here is using the word 'gormless'. We need to put a stop to this shit.

EDIT: OK, he does look a little gormless tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom