• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News South of Midnight Announced, made by Compulsion Games | Xbox Games Showcase 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
FyW3uvWaYAAZOMa

From Compulsion Games, a fantastical and macabre third-person action-adventure set in the American Deep South.​

interesting artstyle (or maybe the livestream made it look different), no idea what they gameplay is so can't really get excited for it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The concept looks good but I would love to find out what the game is all about.

Hopefully they have more to show and talk about at the 13th event.

kuncol02

Banned
The concept looks good but I would love to find out what the game is all about.

Hopefully they have more to show and talk about at the 13th event.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Interesting, we know now it's a 3rd action-adventure from above, I'm fine with that.

Random quotes

“The game is loosely inspired by me tramping around forgotten farms and abandoned places in Mississippi,
“The entire map is a compilation of all the most interesting or unique places in the south. We’re also representing the music that way. This is the first game I’ve gotten to work on where we are treating the music design as seriously as the game design and the art direction.”
Hazel is set off on a quest to repair a broken world, most particularly by taking on mythical creatures – all based on real-life folklore from the region the game takes its inspirations from. And it’s going to get weird
At the end of the trailer, we see Hazel wielding magic – a very specific type of magic known as Weaving. Used both for combat and traversal, Weaving will be the bedrock of your interactions in South of Midnight – and it sounds very different from your standard video game “fireball in the hand” approach.

The Creatures

We never get a true glimpse at Hazel’s quarry in the trailer, but we see from her own drawing that it’s the Altamaha-ha, which – like all of South of Midnight’s supernatural threats – is based on real-life folklore from the Deep South. The rich cultural mix of the area, including European, Caribbean and African storytelling has led to a unique oral tradition that the game draws on for its unusual menagerie. Again, this is based on Sears’ own childhood in the area.

Last edited:

Edder1

These games with zoomer characters set 100+ years ago really put me off. On one hand you have an interesting setting, but characters are completely out of place and out of culture, which makes it all fall apart and look cringy in the end.

Last edited:

sachos

Looks interesting, want to see more. Some nice surprises from MS in this showcase, hope the gameplay can deliver.

I absolutely loved this trailer as it has a really distinct art style and look. The Xbox Wire article has me a bit worried as it's all focused on representation stuff. I hope they don't get lost in that stuff and remember to put out a good game.

Top Bottom