• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass added nearly $9000 worth of games in 2023

DaGwaphics

LOL at the astroturfing tag.

@DGrayson, if all the games were exclusively available on the subscription there might be a tinge of reality to that statement (though probably doubtful there as well), but not so much when the games remain available to purchase elsewhere at standard prices (and players are paying those prices).

NickFire

LOL at the astroturfing tag.

@DGrayson, if all the games were exclusively available on the subscription there might be a tinge of reality to that statement (though probably doubtful there as well), but not so much when the games remain available to purchase elsewhere at standard prices (and players are paying those prices).
There may be separate measures of worth for owning and renting / playing, but he’s not lost in the outfield. If someone can get a game for a fraction of MSRP it opens the door to question if MSRP is a fair value metric.

DaGwaphics

There may be separate measures of worth for owning and renting / playing, but he’s not lost in the outfield. If someone can get a game for a fraction of MSRP it opens the door to question if MSRP is a fair value metric.

The market value will always be dictated by what the customers are willing to pay for it, without exception. If no one is buying a game, it will be discounted, etc.

The only way this position makes sense is if one believes that no one is purchasing the games outside the subscription (the market doesn't support the price).

The 9k value obviously represents the maximum value of the sub if you played literally everything on it, the value to each customer would be more like the total for the games they played. Since GP is relatively cheap, I'd assume that most got a lot more out of it than they paid, but probably not the full 9k.

Last edited:

RickMasters

for me.....Hifi rush, flight simulator, octopath traveller, Tunic, cocoon, dead space, starwars jedi:fallen order and squadrons... and lies of P ....dabbled with forza and starfield but decided to leave them alone and focus on other games for now. Let them patch the shit out of those games till they iron the kinks out. ended up buying octopath but also ended up putting my playthrough on hold because of lies of P and cocoon. On my PC gamepass I been messing with death stranding, dune spice wars and battletech. GPU has been worth every penny, this year in my book.

I actually want to start my first playthrough on cyberpunk or just dive into balders gate 3, but Im always neck deep in something on gamepass. Dont want to start playing one of those two then get distracted by some other new game popping up and forgetting what im doing on theplaythrough of one of these two, big games (choices, key mechanics etc.) . Will make up my mind when I finish cocoon. I think im near the end.

And again...special mention to Tunic. That game was magical from start to finish. gave me NES zelda feels, real bad in a good way! The art style and the music and the level design were a real treat. It has this sense of mystery and awe to it. everybody should sample that game. Just remember to get all the pages for the true ending....thats all im gonna say!

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's pretty good. We've pretty much stopped buying games for our kids (except we still buy a few games for the Nintendo Switch) because of GP since there's always more games than they're able to rotate through. And since I'm a PC gamer I also like the play anywhere thingy, because if they want to co-op I just install with the GP license and go. So I'm sure as fuck not gonna complain.

Raven117

How much ya get paid for that OP?

That said, game pass is great when there isn’t a lot of big releases. There have been a lot of big releases, so here we are.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Cool stuff. I certainly got my money’s worth (where money = 10 minutes of my time every day collecting some reward points).

Starfield
HiFi rush
Forza
Dead Space remake
Quake 2
Skyrim
Vampire Surviviors
A short hike
Ass Creed Origins
Slayers X
Atomic Heart
Contrast
Powerwash Simulator
High on Life

All played to completion this year.

For me, the new games that came to GP in calendar year '23, not including them adding previous year releases, or games like Dead Space remake which I played at launch and were added later to GP.

Jusant
MLB The Show 2023
Persona 5: Tactica
Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name
Forza Motorsport
Redfall
Warhammer 40K Dark Tide (console version was this year)
Remnant 2
Sea of Stars
Starfield
AoE 2 Definitive Edition (console) (I should probably try 4 too)
Planet of Lana
Wild Hearts (not too much)
Lies of P
Quake 2 Remaster
Venba
Exoprimal (not as much as I would have liked)
Amnesia: The Bunker
The Last Case of Benedict Fox
Wo Long Fallen Dynasty (same as Wild Hearts)
Atomic Heart
Shadow Warrior 3 Definitive Edition (this was a surprise hit for me)
Hi-Fi Rush

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I actually want to start my first playthrough on cyberpunk or just dive into balders gate 3, but Im always neck deep in something on gamepass. Dont want to start playing one of those two then get distracted by some other new game popping up and forgetting what im doing on theplaythrough of one of these two, big games (choices, key mechanics etc.) . Will make up my mind when I finish cocoon. I think im near the end.
This is the exact mindset that MS wants to foster. That you play what’s on GP and forget everything else and whatever you play is dictated by what is and is not on GP. obviously that’s fine for some people but I really don’t think GP makes any sense if you’re paying for a subscription and buying and playing other games, especially huge ones like BG3. I also don’t think that GP makes sense if you play a lot of single games on GP. Like if my primary game is Age of Empires 4 it just makes more sense to buy the game and play it.

Griffon

It's funny because as soon as you stop paying the $200+/y rent, you're left with absolutely nothing. 0$ worth.

Just buy your fucking games, it'll cost much less (especially most games that end up on gamepass, those are older and heavily discounted), you'll get the good ones that you actually want, and it's never taken away.

Last edited:

BigLee74

It's funny because as soon as you stop paying the $200+/y rent, you're left with absolutely nothing. 0$ worth.

Just buy your fucking games, it'll cost much less (especially most games that end up on gamepass, those are older and heavily discounted), you'll get the good ones that you actually want, and it's never taken away.
Not a great argument. You’ve played and experienced the games - it’s not as if that just disappears from existence.

90% of my games are one and done. I’ll buy anything I really intend on playing again, at a much reduced price later on in its life.

I have a cupboard full of Xbox one games that I had to buy back in the day. Just sitting collecting dust on the off chance I might fancy playing them again. I know I never will.

Kenpachii

Reason i don't get gamepass, i play my games over periods of time and as soon as u don't pay up even after spending a ton of money on it, u left with nothing.

twilo99

Why do they work things out like this, it's a completely useless stat, unless you do actually play every game

I remember many years ago buying a compilation 'tape' of 100 games for the zx spectrum, it cost about £10 back then, and out of that 100 games, exactly 0 was worth playing more than once. Now I'm not saying games on gamepass are like that, but saying look, we added $9000 with of games last year, is useless if you only played 3 or 4 games.

Useless stat indeed but the point is the more games the have on there, or rather, a wider variety, the more different tastes and preferences they can satisfy.

For me personally what they have on there covers my gaming needs at around 90% currently.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Wait till you find out about how many people use services like Gamefly.

twilo99

for me.....Hifi rush, flight simulator, octopath traveller, Tunic, cocoon, dead space, starwars jedi:fallen order and squadrons... and lies of P ....dabbled with forza and starfield but decided to leave them alone and focus on other games for now. Let them patch the shit out of those games till they iron the kinks out. ended up buying octopath but also ended up putting my playthrough on hold because of lies of P and cocoon. On my PC gamepass I been messing with death stranding, dune spice wars and battletech. GPU has been worth every penny, this year in my book.

And again...special mention to Tunic. That game was magical from start to finish. gave me NES zelda feels, real bad in a good way! The art style and the music and the level design were a real treat. It has this sense of mystery and awe to it. everybody should sample that game. Just remember to get all the pages for the true ending....thats all im gonna say!

I always forget that we got access to EA play .. I gotta check some stuff out on there. I played it takes two from there but that’s it

Ceadeus

Gold Member
And a gym/fitness club has thousands invested in its exercise equipment... so what?

You're still paying for access, not ownership.
Netflix as well, and people like it and are subbed to it. Is something wrong?

As someone who had a brick and mortar video game pass at Blockbuster, and then a Gamefly subscription, GamePass truly is the best video game rental service. I'm not currently subbed, as I make it a point to sub a month at a time and immediately turn off recurring billing, but I'll be back when they have more games I want. It turned me on to Yakuza and Vampire Survivors which are 2 of my all time franchises now. It also saved me $60 on Lies of P, Dead Space Remake and Remnant 2 (appreciated). I hope they get Lords of the Fallen soon!
Gamefly was the shit back in 2010 when I was a broke-ass college student. I could afford $7 per month (or whatever the hell it was), and just slammed game after game between studying.

It's pretty good. We've pretty much stopped buying games for our kids (except we still buy a few games for the Nintendo Switch) because of GP since there's always more games than they're able to rotate through. And since I'm a PC gamer I also like the play anywhere thingy, because if they want to co-op I just install with the GP license and go. So I'm sure as fuck not gonna complain.
This is why I don't complain about games on the service I have no interest in, because I know it's somebody's jam. It's also great when I invite friends that have kids over to the house. I bring the Series X out to the living room, and I know there will be a game or two for every age bracket that I have access to.

Dis

Come on Dis. We have gamepass at home.

Rdmra77.jpg

(i just wanna show off my collection :p)
Yay i got ps5! And FM1st remake!! Yay

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Netflix as well, and people like it and are subbed to it. Is something wrong?

just pointing out that the premise of this thread is silly. It doesn't matter how many games you have to choose from or how much their total monetary worth is, when all the value is in how many you played and for how long.

Sleepwalker

I think that's awesome. But I also think people are sleeping on the other services like PlayStation. Plus. I was absolutely shocked at how the selection was. I don't track everything but for my taste. I like both but for the legacy stuff there is so much on PlayStation that I guess if you follow the perception of the internet, I thought it was severely worse. But other than the missing day one releases, the stuff on plus is absolutely stellar. And gay pass is good for the day. One stuff too, but it just reminds me since I see these threads about Game pass and stuff like that has a bit night and day ahead of the competition when I don't think it is. And this is coming from somebody that invests more in Microsoft games than Sony these days.

why-are-u-gay.gif

kiphalfton

I guess it was only a matter of time before they started using Entertainment's coupon book strategy (or some people may be more familiar with Kohl's strategy) to make the numbers look impressive.

Sorcerer

Lets be real, Xbox/Gamepass is only sustainable because Microsoft subsidizes it with Windows money. There is no third place in reality. No other entity in the world can sustain the losses Microsoft is incurring from the game division. Xbox is in no place. They are in an invented "Fairy Land" they like to refer to as 3rd place.

Last edited:

Megatron

Lets be real, Xbox/Gamepass is only sustainable because Microsoft subsidizes it with Windows money. There is no third place in reality. No other entity in the world can sustain the losses Microsoft is incurring from the game division. Xbox is in no place. They are in an invented "Fairy Land" they like to refer to as 3rd place.
its ok. You still get to play Call of Duty for 9 more years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is so bad. I really hate GP and what it's doing to industry... pc gamers already did not want to buy full priced games.
And not buying full priced games on release = no big games of good quality.
Unless M$ is really paying some crazy money for day1

amigastar

Installed Monster Hunter Rise, Dungeons 4 and Shadow Warrior 3 on Game Pass today.
Gonna try them out. There's always something interesting to find in Game Pass.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

This is so bad. I really hate GP and what it's doing to industry... pc gamers already did not want to buy full priced games.
And not buying full priced games on release = no big games of good quality.
Unless M$ is really paying some crazy money for day1

It's a totally optional thing though (for developers). If MS isn't offering them a worthwhile check they wouldn't put it on there.

RickMasters

I always forget that we got access to EA play .. I gotta check some stuff out on there. I played it takes two from there but that’s it
It’s a nice bonus. Especially as I play madden and fifa. Nice that they have code masters and the WRC and F1 licensed games too. Best place for yearly sports games. I just wish NBA 2k was on GPU too.

But yeah, it’s nice for battlefield, EAs Star Wars games, titanfall 2, if you never bought or played it. And they have a few smaller games like Fe And some others. Well worth it. I upgraded my sub to include the Ubisoft stuff too. I couldn’t keep up with the yearly ASsasins creed games anyway. Last one I bought was the one in Egypt for the more recent ones I just play them on my sun and if like them I’ll buy the season pass for the stirrup expansions.

Top Bottom