• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Interaction

I remember as a kid playing games like Madden 96 and pouring tons of time into a created character, doing the training camp mini-games to try to get better stats for the character to really feel like you're in the game.

The idea of this hit a new level when franchise mode was created, but I felt like they lost a lot of the fun mini-camp stuff.

One thing I hated was that the character despite your efforts never really looked like you. The announcers couldn't really call your name. There was always something missing. I thought don't we have the technology to get this right, we had cameras, we had microphones. You should be able to take a picture of yourself, have it grafted onto the character. You should be able to say your name, and have it repeated by the announcer.

As I lost interest in sports games, I still wondered when we'd get to these levels, but I think with next gen we might leapfrog a lot of that.

The ability to walk into a village and have a whole conversation with an NPC character who will be able to actually pronounce your customized name. AI-generated conversation and AI Voice will take immersion to a whole new level. The actions that you take with random NPC characters can actually have long term and significant consequences ranging from burning their house down to you stealing something out of their shop.

I remember in Zelda the shopkeeper would remember you stole something and zap you with lightning and games like Fable, Mass Effect, and Infamous would try to create paths where your choices mattered, but I think we still had to fill in the gaps in our heads, kind of like how we had to with the jump from 2d to 3d.

I feel like AI in gaming could be as big as the jump from 2D to 3D and the jump from 3D to Open World 3D.

Decisions X Actions X Consequences

Papa_Wisdom

But what about the turnips?

Finale Zombieorpheus GIF by zoefannet

MarkMe2525

Some older Tiger woods, Madden, and some WWE games did a good job of supporting methods to get your real face onto a created character. You still may be able to do it in the WWE games, as I was able to create a character with my face in WWE 2k19.

Side bar, my daughter was around 4 when I got WWE 2k19, and I was able to convince her that I was in the game because I was a wrestler before she was born. Kids and their tiny little brains.

Audiophile

Gold Member
We're already seeing AI models fully animating people in 3D space from a source of just one flat image. If they could pair games with a phone app and a handful of picture angles I'd be surprised if they can't get a near-perfect model of you in a game in the next 2-3yrs. That said, I might be hesitant to put an accurate likeness in a game in the modern world, so I'd like to be able to modify it.

As for conversations, hopefully by next gen it'll just be a case of talking freely and the mic in the controller conveys it to other characters.

I remember as a kid playing games like Madden 96 and pouring tons of time into a created character, doing the training camp mini-games to try to get better stats for the character to really feel like you're in the game.

The idea of this hit a new level when franchise mode was created, but I felt like they lost a lot of the fun mini-camp stuff.

One thing I hated was that the character despite your efforts never really looked like you. The announcers couldn't really call your name. There was always something missing. I thought don't we have the technology to get this right, we had cameras, we had microphones. You should be able to take a picture of yourself, have it grafted onto the character. You should be able to say your name, and have it repeated by the announcer.

As I lost interest in sports games, I still wondered when we'd get to these levels, but I think with next gen we might leapfrog a lot of that.

The ability to walk into a village and have a whole conversation with an NPC character who will be able to actually pronounce your customized name. AI-generated conversation and AI Voice will take immersion to a whole new level. The actions that you take with random NPC characters can actually have long term and significant consequences ranging from burning their house down to you stealing something out of their shop.

I remember in Zelda the shopkeeper would remember you stole something and zap you with lightning and games like Fable, Mass Effect, and Infamous would try to create paths where your choices mattered, but I think we still had to fill in the gaps in our heads, kind of like how we had to with the jump from 2d to 3d.

I feel like AI in gaming could be as big as the jump from 2D to 3D and the jump from 3D to Open World 3D.

Decisions X Actions X Consequences
Eventually you could do this in MLB The Show I believe? Where you could use the Playstation's eye toy and take a pic of your face and position it on the player model.

Madden 2005 was also great because you had to take an IQ test and you could determine things from your character's parents.

Last edited:
Some older Tiger woods, Madden, and some WWE games did a good job of supporting methods to get your real face onto a created character. You still may be able to do it in the WWE games, as I was able to create a character with my face in WWE 2k19.

Side bar, my daughter was around 4 when I got WWE 2k19, and I was able to convince her that I was in the game because I was a wrestler before she was born. Kids and their tiny little brains.
Your note about your daughter reminds me of when I convinced myself that I could ram into these camping tents in Test Drive: Off Road - Wide Open on PS2, that belonged to a girl in my elementary school class after she told me she had camped with her family in Yosemite National Park, which was a map ion the game. I had a wild imagination. The tents even had physics and at one point I pushed them onto the train tracks haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom