• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

next gen racing games - whaddy'a want?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want more sensory feedback most of all. Fill in the gaps that I'm missing because I'm playing a video game.

I'd like much more sense of where the AI is - eg wing mirrors, so you can see them moving out on you. Don't need to be modelled (its a game). Have a really wide rear view mirror that does the same job, or strips at the sides of the screen.

I wan't to know where my car is on the road, without needing a 3rd person view. I much prefer driving in first person, but I'm aware that I don't really know where the corners of my car are - how wide is it? Makes you less able to cut corners or take a chicane tightly.

Variable steering. I want to be able to steer fast and slow. Making minor adjustments on a straight is way too juddery at the moment - I'd like some intelligence there.

I want some bravery in how the screen is laid out/the car is represented. Everyone seems cool with bumpercams, but I find them shit. They are only done to artificially boost the sense of speed, at the expense of seeing the apex of corners etc. I want a Daytona camera '2'.

Play with the gameplay a little. I saw a game recently that lets you rewind time if you make a mistake, like PoP. Nice. Encourages you to try new things and practice to get corners right.

ram

one thing bothers me since need for speed 1 und 2. where the heck are the multimedia features gone? i mean, i would explore a car in fully 3d, see some nice footage and listen to a speaker, who tells me about car aspects. i loved the multimedia videos in nfs2, even when the game was utterly bad.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
monster2.jpg

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Fully modeled car interiors and fully modable cars. I want tobe able to mod porsches, mercs and all the other "toffy" cars.

Bebpo

Banned
In order of importance to me:

1. 60fps
2. Huge amount of tracks with tons of variety (RSC2 is about the only game that satisfies me here so far)
3. Good controls
4. Varied racing (cone racing, offroad racing, etc... mix it up)
5. Single player mode that's between 15-30 hours (no 100+ hour GT games plz)
6. Good online mode with lots of cars and gameplay modes

Basically give me RSC2 but with better graphics next-gen and I'll be set.

quetz67

Banned
I want what once began as "Donkey Kong Racing" to become a reality. If possible I want it to happen on PS3 after Sony has bought Rare.

snaildog

I want Nintendo to put effort into making a really, really good Mario Kart game: on-line , 30+ tracks, one-player challenges similar to Diddy Kong Racing (still my fav. 1P racing game), 4-player grand prix goddamn it, etc etc.

Rob

60 fps STANDARD for ALL racing titles.

Track editing/design. I want to be able to design my own tracks and add in my own trackside detail.

Online racing for ALL racing titles.

Custom soundtracks for ALL racing titles.

Variable/custom weather for ALL racing titles

The ability to CHOOSE whether or not to race at night or during the day.

I like racing sims but I want to see more arcade style racers this time around.

Better A.I.

Vehicle Damage as an option. I want the ability to turn this feature on or off.

Rob

quetz67 said:
I want what once began as "Donkey Kong Racing" to become a reality. If possible I want it to happen on PS3 after Sony has bought Rare.

Donkey Kong is a Nintendo created and owned character. Rare is owned by Microsoft.

Bebpo said:
In order of importance to me:

1. 60fps
2. Huge amount of tracks with tons of variety (RSC2 is about the only game that satisfies me here so far)
3. Good controls
4. Varied racing (cone racing, offroad racing, etc... mix it up)
5. Single player mode that's between 15-30 hours (no 100+ hour GT games plz)
6. Good online mode with lots of cars and gameplay modes

Basically give me RSC2 but with better graphics next-gen and I'll be set.

Bebpo has his priorities straight :D

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
I want a racer that looks like Auto Modellista (but higher res with more effects at 60fps) and plays like Ridge Racer Revolution.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
quetz67 said:
I want what once began as "Donkey Kong Racing" to become a reality. If possible I want it to happen on PS5 after Sony has bought Rare.

Fixed, assuming they're signing the contracts right now...

Inkblot

I want long races, like LeMans DC - an endurance mode, perhaps
Seriously, developers should force you to drive around the tracks alot

Rob

Inkblot said:
I want long races, like LeMans DC - an endurance mode, perhaps
Seriously, developers should force you to drive around the tracks alot

I agree. What's the point of having custom soundtracks if you cannot even finish an entire song on one race??

gtmax

Everything Rob mention and...

if a SIM, then simulate engine wear so that if i've driven the car for like 50k miles, i'd feel a difference in its performance. i'd like the brakes to get worn out during a race as they wuld in real life.

more than the game though, i'm looking at what wheel makers like Logitech will be able to do next gen. I was planning to do a huge review of the DFPro but i'll go into some of my beefs here.

The wheel tries to simulate G-forces and as a result it makes it nearly impossible to counter-steer. the wheel, next gen, should be so that, in a SIM, it'll adjust to every different car you drive. For example, if i drive a Miata it shoudl feel different from a Merc Saloon. If i adjust a car by lower its ride height the wheel should change accordingly by getting much tighter.

and i'd like for SIMS to get away from having 1000 cars when 600 of them are useless. Give me 50-100 cars and model even the ashtray instead of having 700 with no interiors.

but so far it's not looking very good. PGr3 doesn't seem to have a cockpit. and why do SIMs have to be so damn serious? why not create a stunt track in a SIM, a la Hard Driving? let me drive through a bridge and take a huge jump and fuck up the suspension of the car once i hit the ground. give me obstacles on the track so i can go on two wheels and see how far i can drive this way. there's more to drivign than simply driving on a straight track.

i could go on forever.

Ranger X

For most sim racers they have a long way to go. Here's what i think should me MANDATORY next-gen:

1) COCKPIT VIEW. When i drive a car i'm inside. Sim racers are about realism. tks.

2) DYNAMIC WEATHER. I'm tired of having a preset rain track. If i want to try any track under the rain or the rain track under the sun what do i do?

3) COMPLETE CAR PHYSICS. Wich include that my car is calculated at ANY angle. If i drive like a coward i want my car to be able to flip. Collisions with other cars HAVE to be more realistic and yes we should be able to do "the police hit".

4) DAMAGE ENGINE. Screw the car manifacturers. Everybody knows cars aren't tuff. If devellopers hold on their part and defend the damage engine. There's no choices now. The games will look so good that it's gonna be stupid that there's no damage engine.

eso76

Me, i've always wanted a cross between the first need for speed and the first 2 test drives, outrun and something else ; ie, traffic, realistic car crashes, beautiful scenery to look at, and maybe even a limited number of lives. Test drive 2 was s-l-o-w, but overcoming a car in a blind turn on the cliffs gave me the chills, simply because, like in real life, if there happened to be an oncoming car you hadn't seen, you had little or no chances to avoid death - 5 lives and it was game over - which made it exciting in a way.
Not much of a "Racing" game, rather a "travelling" game, where you just have to travel across a coutry looking at an extremely beautiful scenery and choosing different routes. Where, like in real life, you can't always run full throttle at maximum speed, except for a few straights and taking high risks.
Maybe they could structure it as a 'cannonball race' through the States with good freedom. I don't want a thousand cars, i don't want supercars, give me 10 very different vehicles - a buggy (if you plan to be travelling on sand etc) a 4x4 if you plan to go the mountain route, a motorcycle to move quickly thru traffic jams in bigger cities, etc. so that completing the race/trip with different vehicles is a totally different experience.
Point A to point B should last at least a few hours, with the possibility to save at checkpoints, and there should be night day cycles, and dynamic weather system...

I also DEMAND a Motortoon Adventure Action RPG from Polyphony on PS3. Structured exactly like an Action RPG starring animated cars, with upgrades, level ups, "dungeons" (race tracks : ) ) and Boss cars you have to challenge and beat in original competitions.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wyzdom said:
For most sim racers they have a long way to go. Here's what i think should me MANDATORY next-gen:

1) COCKPIT VIEW. When i drive a car i'm inside. Sim racers are about realism. tks.

2) DYNAMIC WEATHER. I'm tired of having a preset rain track. If i want to try any track under the rain or the rain track under the sun what do i do?

3) COMPLETE CAR PHYSICS. Wich include that my car is calculated at ANY angle. If i drive like a coward i want my car to be able to flip. Collisions with other cars HAVE to be more realistic and yes we should be able to do "the police hit".

4) DAMAGE ENGINE. Screw the car manifacturers. Everybody knows cars aren't tuff. If devellopers hold on their part and defend the damage engine. There's no choices now. The games will look so good that it's gonna be stupid that there's no damage engine.
1) You'll get it. At least PGR3 will have a cockpit view.
2) I guess we'll get it. PGR3 I doubt will have it unfortunately considering what they said about the lighting yesterday
3 and 4) Games with lots of different car manufacturers will always be limited to what they can they do will ALL cars. Flipping the cars, serious damage will be VERY VERY difficult to get from every car manufacturers you want to include.

Rob

I also want more interesting locals and trackside details. Don't know about you guys but I'm sick of racing on the standard speedways and in NY, Hong Kong, and Paris. Where's Egypt? Where's Africa? Give me tracks that take me through interesting scenery.

I wouldn't even mind a futuristic racing game with killer sci fi scenery. Anyone here remember the pc racing game "Pod?" What a great arcade style racer!

Also, I want more tracks that have long straightaways that let you really open up your vehicle and haul ass!! What's the point of getting behind the wheel of a Lambroghini if you're slowing down ever 5 seconds for a corner?

User 406

Banned
Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Midnight Club, another ATV game from Rainbow, and a Jet Moto sequel from Incog. Oh, and it may not technically be a racer, but another Smuggler's Run would rock, especially after seeing that Motor Storm vid.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
See, for me, cockpit view is too obvious and doesn't actually work in games.

In real life, you are in a cockpit, but don't really look at the interior when you are driving. And the view out of the windscreen fills quite a lot of your focused field of vision.

But when playing games, the TV is already filling less of your FOV than a windscreen, so putting a fake cockpit in just reduces it even more.

I'm happy with bonnet/hood cam (see the bonnet to help judge width)

I'd also like to see wear and tear come back. Tyres and brakes would be good, and could be done well in games - just like pitstop II :)

- realtime weather via ntework connection. if it's raining at the real Laguna Seca at this very moment then it should be raining in your game. same goes for track temp depending on the time of day you decide to race

- download race event data and compete aginst these pro drivers on your home console

mrklaw said:

In real life, you are in a cockpit, but don't really look at the interior when you are driving. And the view out of the windscreen fills quite a lot of your focused field of vision.

But when playing games, the TV is already filling less of your FOV than a windscreen, so putting a fake cockpit in just reduces it even more.

I agree, don't see the real need of recreating the entire cockpit. But, I would like a game like GT to have each car's actual speed and tachometer displayed on the screen and not just a generic, universal one for every car like it is now.

More and better weather effects is something I would also like. Certainly more cars to race against, in either sim or arcade racers. More control over things like paint schemes. I wouldn't mind seeing lots of little visual frills.....like trees blowing, or leaves on the track or birds flying by, stuff like that. Just something that would make some of the tracks a little less static looking. I would imagine single car rally games will really excell at trackside detail next gen.

spliced

A really fun pick up and play online racing game. I don't care about the graphics or realism, just make it fun.

I also want a great online demo derby game, I'll be shocked if there is one though.

bridegur

I want less night, less tricking out, less story, less rain on the streets, and more environments, jumps, and shortcuts.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cockpit cam is a fucking must. it doesnt have to do the whole cockpit, but a decent chunk like rsc2 or better yet, CMR

914772_20040310_screen008.jpg

maybe have the right analog be able to look around, and have an options menu to place the camera in the cokpit as you see fit.

other then that, i want really bumpy roads, not just mainly flat textures. i want really long courses, lots of vegetation, the ability to go quite a ways off the track without seeing the artists shortcuts concerning trackside detail. awesome weather effects, unified lighting (imagine night races), and xna level car damage :)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hajaz said:
wheel with clutch and h shifter, forcefeedback on pedals and shifter
headtracking

Umm, you can get this now.

mrklaw said:

I'd also like to see wear and tear come back. Tyres and brakes would be good, and could be done well in games - just like pitstop II :)

Give this man a cigar! Captain Klaw....you took the words right outta my mouth! Hood/bumpercam view>>>>>cockpit view!

Oh and as for what I want, well, here's what I want in all seriousness. I want racing games to have online code that's sooo good, that there is literally NO NOTICEABLE LAG...none! I want to be in a race and the other cars on screen to behave as if their console was connected to mine via ethernet or usb cable! Every game I have played online has always had some sort of lag problem, whether it's cars zipping eradically all over the track, or dissapearing in and out of the screen, or jumping/bouncing strangely up and down the road. PGR2, RSC2, TMS, all suffer from this flaw. It really really is a distraction from the race and diminishes the immersion of playing another human over an online connection.

It is going to be a great GREAT day, the day I can race online and not have any noticeable lag and everything will be smooth as butter. If I hit a car or a car hits me, the collision will be spot on, and if I'm using an FF wheel(yeah Microsoft, I'm talking to you!) I'll immediately feel it. That is what I want the most from next gen racers, and I'm hoping that PGR3 will be the first one to deliver a true lagless experience.

Sp0rsk and BuddyC....I know you guys have an enormous amount of network code knowledge. Perhaps you can shed some light on when we can expect these racing games to be lag free.

MetalAlien

Banned
I'd like a themed race game sorta like Rock and Roll racing... futuristic, yet dark and gothic.. no guns though... just extremey evil themed racing. Heavy Metal, System Of the Down, Slipknot... stuff like that....

I'd also like the camera to be able to pan to the left or right with one of the joysticks, so if I need to peak at what's next to me I can...

FightyF

Banned
Mr Klaw: I find it funny that you don't look forward to a cockpit view, but it DIRECTLY addresses 2 of your issues.

Firstly, to get a sense of where your car is on the road in real life, you reference the hood. So that issue is solved.

Secondly, you want to be able to look at side view mirrors, but it doesnt make sense to add it on the screen which could be already cluttered. Having a cockpit view, with the right analog stick look feature, would be the best solution. This way you actually look left and right to see who's behind you. It would be nice to be also able to look top right to see your rear view as well. Look down and you can see your guages. It would be completely immersive and realistic.

I would agree that a cockpit view is a MUST. But I'd like to take the idea further. I think that CUSTOMIZABLE views are a must. Live for Speed had it best IMO. You could change where in the cockpit you sat (so if you want to have more of a HOOD view, you can), the FOV, and other aspects. Doing the same with exterior views would be a good idea too.

My list:

1) Customizable views (including a fully modelled car so that you can drive from the backseat if you wanted to :p j/k.) More importantly with these views the option to look around in real time with the right analog stick. Slowly more and more racers are doing this and I hope it's a standard.

2) Cars that can FLIP OVER. Sure, damage is being modelled into games like FM but they still can't flip over due ot the manufacturers not wanting it. Especially when dealing with stock versions of cars that aren't lowered, and games featuring SUVs and trucks...rolling over cars is a concern!

3) Burnt rubber that actually stays on the road for the whole race, and for all cars.

4) MUST HAVE: Dips and minor faults in the roads, with feedback. Most race tracks are paved well...but some games based in cities and stuff are dealing with everyday roads, which often feature dips and cracks. This definatey affects handling and sometimes you can get some air or lose traction with these little imperfections. This will require a lot more polys, but it would make for a more realistic experience. I really think this would help out rally titles as well...since gravel surfaces aren't that smooth, and many times have ruts in them created by all the driving on them.

I had some more but I forgot. Seriuosly I was gonna start a similar thread and had a more extensive list in my mind :p

mr2mike

Banned
I could live with GT4 graphic if next gen racing meant:

30-ish cars on track
realistic damage
use of advanced physics to manage race debris, ie: tire debris outside of the racing line, sand/dust on the track, impact residue, oil/prestone leaks, all being spread/affected by the cars in realtime throughout the race. cars that get dirty in a realistic fashion etc.
more 'animation' in the first person view.

What I want for a Next Gen racing game would have to be an online version of F Zero GX.

It would have to always be at 60 FPS.

Online, with some different modes, lots of cars, and plenty of tracks.

A good long 1 player mode. That you could download a new mission for each week. Of course they don't have to be story connected. I never really liked the stories of F Zero.

This should have a good Garage mode. You could customize you ship just a bit more than in GX.

Also the difficulty has to be fairly high. That is what kept you going in GX. It made you feel complete when ever you beat a level.

isamu

Stopsign said:
What I want for a Next Gen racing game would have to be an online version of F Zero GX.

It would have to always be at 60 FPS.

Online, with some different modes, lots of cars, and plenty of tracks.

A good long 1 player mode. That you could download a new mission for each week. Of course they don't have to be story connected. I never really liked the stories of F Zero.

This should have a good Garage mode. You could customize you ship just a bit more than in GX.

Also the difficulty has to be fairly high. That is what kept you going in GX. It made you feel complete when ever you beat a level.

TWIN BROTHER!!!! I'VE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will take a port of the CURRENT-gen Daytona USA 2 (ok it is old, as it is from 1998 but Daytona 2's generation would be the same as current gen consoles) instead of say, TEN average next-gen console racers that are no doubt going to come out over the next 5 to 7 years on Xbox360 and PS3.

quality-wise and gameplay-wise, Daytona USA 2 will be worth more than ten average next-gen racers. Daytona USA 2 will end up being better.

Shinobi

gtmax said:
if a SIM, then simulate engine wear so that if i've driven the car for like 50k miles, i'd feel a difference in its performance. i'd like the brakes to get worn out during a race as they wuld in real life.

I like this idea.

eso76 said:
Me, i've always wanted a cross between the first need for speed and the first 2 test drives, outrun and something else ; ie, traffic, realistic car crashes, beautiful scenery to look at, and maybe even a limited number of lives. Test drive 2 was s-l-o-w, but overcoming a car in a blind turn on the cliffs gave me the chills, simply because, like in real life, if there happened to be an oncoming car you hadn't seen, you had little or no chances to avoid death - 5 lives and it was game over - which made it exciting in a way.
Not much of a "Racing" game, rather a "travelling" game, where you just have to travel across a coutry looking at an extremely beautiful scenery and choosing different routes. Where, like in real life, you can't always run full throttle at maximum speed, except for a few straights and taking high risks.
Maybe they could structure it as a 'cannonball race' through the States with good freedom. I don't want a thousand cars, i don't want supercars, give me 10 very different vehicles - a buggy (if you plan to be travelling on sand etc) a 4x4 if you plan to go the mountain route, a motorcycle to move quickly thru traffic jams in bigger cities, etc. so that completing the race/trip with different vehicles is a totally different experience.
Point A to point B should last at least a few hours, with the possibility to save at checkpoints, and there should be night day cycles, and dynamic weather system...

Yeah, I loved that about the Test Drive games (back when the series was great instead of the piece of shit it's manifested itself into from '97 on)...I cruised in those games a lot more then I raced. American Road Race on the C64 was a similiar game...just a ton of fun. Seeing a game like that set in several large cities intertwined with highways, freeways and country roads would be sweet. The Midtown Madness games were similiar I guess (GTA SA even more so), but I'd like to play a game like this with more realistic physics.

mrklaw said:

Agreed about the interior...I wanna see the road, not my air conditioning ducts and cup holders. Bonnet view is all I need...and if I wanna have a more realistic viewpoint, the driver's side view used in the TOCA and Colin McRae games fit the bill just fine (like the pic op ivy posted). That's about as interior a view as I need.

Spectral Glider said:
I agree, don't see the real need of recreating the entire cockpit. But, I would like a game like GT to have each car's actual speed and tachometer displayed on the screen and not just a generic, universal one for every car like it is now.

This I agree with...Sega Rally 2 had individual speed and tach meters, though I don't know if they were accurately done or not (I assume they were).

A few things I want. A big one for racing sims is rubber that come off the tires during a race. What's then created is a clean line on the track (basically the ideal racing line) that the cars all stick to. When you get on the loose rubber on the side of the track, it's akin to getting on marbles. It means going off the clean line to make a pass, which can be a hairy situation...just like in real racing.

Another big thing I want to see is in rally racing. In a loose surface stage (snow, gravel or dirt), the first car on the stage ends up being the one to sweep that stuff off the road, making it cleaner for the cars that follow and thus (all things being equal) giving them quicker times. Generally the car that's leading the points race or the timesheets after a day of racing winds up being the first car on the road (at least that's what the old WRC rules were like...that might have been changed the last couple years), so some drivers would slow up on purpose later in the day to avoid leading the timesheets and being that first/leading car. It's a strategy I'd like to play around with in a rally simulator.

I also want an American Le Mans sim. Melbourne House had started work on one for the XBox a few years ago, but it was put on hold and presumably canceled when they were unsure the market was big enough for it. I'd love to see them take another stab at it...otherwise I'd like to see Sega's new racing studio get a hold of this license, which for my money is the second most exciting racing series in the world after the WRC.

And since Microsoft has made Flight and Train Simulators, I really want a Bus Simulation in the same vein. Seriously. I have a sick fascination with buses that goes all the way back to my childhood. With any luck maybe someone will bring over Tokyo Bus Simulator 2.

Top Bottom