• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Playoffs 2018 - Super Bowl LIII

greyshark

djtpRTj.png

It's Super Bowl week! This year pits the generation's most dominant franchise against the potential future of the NFL. The last time these teams met in the Super Bowl we had the Greatest Show on Turf heavily favored against an upstart Patriots team with some no-name backup QB who had replaced a franchise legend. That upset kicked off a run of dominance we've never seen in the NFL before and likely will never again. While this matchup isn't nearly as lopsided on paper, the Patriots are the clear favorite. The Rams have an incredible amount of talent on both sides of the ball, but I'm pretty spooked by whatever happened to Todd Gurley 2 weeks ago. As much as I'd like to pick against the Patriots (just another bitter, jealous fan here), I'm picking New England to win their sixth title.

NFL-GAF, what's your pick?

greyshark

I likely won't be on here much on Sunday - my wife invited 40 people for the game (including 10+ kids) so my house is going to be a disaster. WIll try to post in between tantrums.

lmao it's The Patriots again?

I've watched every Super Bowl since 2002 but this may be the year I skip it, I'm tired of seeing The Patriots play and the commercials have been shitty for years (lemme geuss, there'll be a bunch of heavily politicized ads) and I just don't really care anymore, I've never been a sports guy, I just liked to watch the Super Bowl.

The only SB commercial I remember from the last few years is that one from State Farm where all the kids died or something and it was just received terribly. “Buy our insurance because kids can die.”

Edit: nationwide

Was thinking State Farm cuz of their old Aaron Rodgers shit

Last edited:

greyshark

Holy crap I didn't remember that - just looked it up and it was a Nationwide commercial. Man what were they thinking.

The only SB commercial I remember from the last few years is that one from State Farm where all the kids died or something and it was just received terribly. “Buy our insurance because kids can die.”

Edit: nationwide

Was thinking State Farm cuz of their old Aaron Rodgers shit

Yes, that's one of the few from recent years that sticks out in my memory and not in a good way.

Last edited:
I thought Brady was a GOAT candidate after the third Super Bowl win. I think the debate ended a long time ago.

Sure he didn’t have great games against the Giants, but those two really weren’t on him, and he was brilliant against the Eagles last year.

People take for granted how insane this is. It’s cool to hate Brady and the Patriots, I get it, but a sports fan you should appreciate that you’ll never ever see this again. Your kids won’t see this. Their kids won’t see this. The typical home team making it to a Super Bowl every 10 years or so would be GREAT in most markets. Every other damn year? Wtf?

I know, I get it, cheaters, whatever. I understand why people hate the Pats, but Brady’s legacy is secure and has been for years. No one has done more, period, and definitely no one has done more with less. Brady has made more millionaires than the lotto. Can’t wait to see more Pats coaches get promotions in other organizations off of Brady’s name just to fail wherever they go.

Last edited:

Clockwork5

I hope the Rams win and further tarnish the integrity of the league. When one team is in the Superb Owl and the NFL has come out and said they shouldn’t be there and the other team is run by proven cheaters, no matter who loses we all win.

cryptoadam

Banned
Gotta root for Brady to get another ring and add to his greatness, and throw salt to all his haters.

Not really a fan of football, so no skin in the game but wouldn't mind seeing Brady get another ring.

so little interest in this years game. I barely want to watch it. I keep justifying it to myself that no matter how much i dislike the pats/brady, I shouldn't pass up this moment in my life to witness the goat play.

its less that I care about the game and more that I feel guilty missing out on history.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

My brain tells me Thomas "Venom" Brady cements himself as the Greatest QB of All-time and sneaks another win. But that damned heart is telling me that McVay and kids might have just enough aim-assist and defensive help to get the win. But I'll just go with my brain...

Patriots 35
Rams 31

However, I could easily see this going

Rams 38
Patriots 35

I'll stick with my brain though. And cry that the AFC and the NFL allowed this god-like dynasty to reign the majority of my teenhood and adult life.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
My brain tells me Thomas "Venom" Brady cements himself as the Greatest QB of All-time and sneaks another win. But that damned heart is telling me that McVay and kids might have just enough aim-assist and defensive help to get the win. But I'll just go with my brain...

Patriots 35
Rams 31

However, I could easily see this going

Rams 38
Patriots 35

I'll stick with my brain though. And cry that the AFC and the NFL allowed this god-like dynasty to reign the majority of my teenhood and adult life.

Love or hate a great team/player, but they should still be appreciated for their output.
We can't experience all the greats of history, and we can't pick when our choices get their time to shine.
But wouldn't you rather be able to say that you saw some of that sort of history being made, instead of living in boring times?

Speaking generally, not just about the Pats (if that's what they are).

Technically the Rams are the favorite, aren’t they?

At least on paper they definitely have more talent on both sides of the ball, well in my eyes anyway.

lil puff

At least on paper they definitely have more talent on both sides of the ball, well in my eyes anyway.
I don't think so.

The team that has gone to the Super Bowl numerous times, the dynasty would be the favorite. I think a lot of people in the NE sans Boston are rooting against the Pats.

And you also have Saints fans who think the Rams should not even be here.

What a shit call.

greyshark

Pats are -2.5 for what that’s worth. The Rams may have more recognizable talent, but it’s hard for me to bet against Belichick. That and the total wild card that is Gurley.

r0s3f4m

Neo Member
Going for the Rams but I see it being a very tough task for them to contain Brady, Gronk, and Edelman.

greyshark

Slightly OT

What match would be more competitive?

The Pro-Bowl or The Loser Bowl (3RD/4TH Place Playoff)

You will never see players playing at full speed in an exhibition - potential injuries are far too a high a risk for multimillion dollar investments.

GreatnessRD

Love or hate a great team/player, but they should still be appreciated for their output.
We can't experience all the greats of history, and we can't pick when our choices get their time to shine.
But wouldn't you rather be able to say that you saw some of that sort of history being made, instead of living in boring times?

Speaking generally, not just about the Pats (if that's what they are).

Oh, I absolutely agree. It's amazing to see such a dynasty happen. Just wish it was my Ravens, haha

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
As a Giants fan, I've grown to really appreciate Brady. Probably the best to ever do it, but couldn't top Eli when it counted.
I hope the Pat's pull it out, Brady retires, and Bellicheck starts planning his return to NY.

As a Giants fan, I've grown to really appreciate Brady. Probably the best to ever do it, but couldn't top Eli when it counted.
I hope the Pat's pull it out, Brady retires, and Bellicheck starts planning his return to NY.

Two miracle catches, ya bum (Tyree in first game, Manningham along the sideline in fhe second, a catch that got overshadowed by Welker’s drop late in the game).

Just messin. Those were great Super Bowls

That Giants d-line was fierce. Strahan, Tuck, and Kiwanunka (think I spelled this wrong)

Edit

Spelling. I only post from my phone, it kills me

Last edited:
if the Rams win this year then next year's or the year after Superbowl could be New England vs Panthers

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i had plans this morning but they fell through. i got a Zipcar at 10am so i could go visit my parents, but when i got to the parking garage, there were metal gates shut down over all the car entrances and exits to the parking garage. i got in through the side entrance, found the elevator, and found my car, but i could not find how to exit the garage.

eventually i found there was a parking pass in the car, so i swiped that, but it only raised the little car barrier, there was still a massive metal door shut down, the kind they put down over storefronts in the city. i drove around until 10:40 and then i called them and told them my predicament. there was nothing they could do. i had them cancel =(

so im sitting home, got some beers, and i have a fucked up CRT that i can hook up to an antennae. probably gonna watch the game.

Last edited:

Dunki

I only watch Football during this time. Will be hopefully a great game. I even bought a VPN pass so i do not have to bother with German commentary :p

TrainedRage

Banned
Those twins that sang were super cute. Hype game.

God those f 16's are badass. they fly so tight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom