• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Ricker

What's everyone's party like near the end of the game?

Ollie,Swaine and Esther where level 50,I still have the original familiars with those 3,Mitey,the Bird and the fat viking with Swaine,I messed up a bit in the transformation so most of my familiars are on their 3rd form but at the 20/20 growth limit...the only 2 I could go 30/30 with now are the fat viking and the dragon DLC guy...still,without spoiling anything,at the first ending if you want of the game,it was easy because as long as you have enough stuff to refill Oliver's mana,his spells are pretty devastating...

Vortex566

Ni No Kuni finished with a total play time of 42 hours. Great little RPG, really puts FFXIII to shame. I ended up with a party of around level 75, but had to do a little grinding, as the final boss was giving me some grief.

gave up on getting the platinum, 250 familiars is too long and that alchemy quest is pretty long/boring too.

250 familiars is actually pretty fast to obtain. Alchemy one is the worst. Fortunately you don't need to make every item (I think there is 14 items or something you can left out). Otherwise it's possible I wouldn't have bothered with platinum.

Arthea

Finally got my Ni no kuni (probably traveled around the globe couple of times)
I'm about 6 hours in: like the world (map especially), Drippy is great, music is good (that orchestra!), looks nice and all, but I don't dig combat, what a bummer. May be I will get used to it, so far it was most boring part of a game. Anybody in my boat? Does it get better?

Level 82ish

Oliver: Puss-in-Boats, Dynamite, Aye-aye-catcher
Esther: Fluorongo, Puss-in-Bouts, Trumpy-Pumper
Swaine: Clinkey-Clanky LX, Puss-in-Boats, Eldritch Empress/Hurlabaloo

The three Meowsketeers is what we called it when we pulled all the cats, it was pretty awesome watching their insane dps + evasion constantly interupt on a gang-up.

Tizoc

Need some help against a boss please!
Phil's Nightmare decimated me within minutes, what's an easy way to beat this boss? I'm level 40 atm

You were on normal? FWIW I did every errand and bounty except the crazy alchemy one, and managed to bag a lot of Tokotokos near Perdida, and a few Tokotocolds. Probably 20 levels just in those 20-some fights.
Yeah, I was on normal. I did all of the tasks and bounty hunts besides the last Derwin quest, but I wasn't doing anything for trophies. You must have stomped all over the last few bosses.

Need some help against a boss please!
Phil's Nightmare decimated me within minutes, what's an easy way to beat this boss? I'm level 40 atm

He's weak against light, so you'll either want to have Oliver use arrow of light, or go all out and go for mass cancels on his attacks by just having everyone wail on him. If you get the nasty status thing you can have Esther chant, but I just went all-out with cancels IIRC.

Yaska

Running with party lvl of 85
Oliver going with Dinoceros, Puss-in-boats, Auroralynx
Esther going with Electrongo, Tokotoko ( I have 3 tokotokos! :D), Eldritch empress
Swaine is my farmer but with Plasma man and various other familiars.

I also just picked up the game. Didn't realize that tokyo orchestra did the music. When I saw that, I was like this game is going to be good haha. Good game music means a lot to me

RedSwirl

This is some bullshit.

When I started the tokotoko quest Oliver was around level 45. He is now level 72 and I still haven't caught one. I'm still at Perdida in the main quest too, so I don't know how much of the rest of the main quest I've broken by over-leveling.

I tried to go and get some regular Tokos, but I encounter them a lot less often than tokotokos.

I also just picked up the game. Didn't realize that tokyo orchestra did the music. When I saw that, I was like this game is going to be good haha. Good game music means a lot to me

Joe Hisaishi bro.

Tizoc

He's weak against light, so you'll either want to have Oliver use arrow of light, or go all out and go for mass cancels on his attacks by just having everyone wail on him. If you get the nasty status thing you can have Esther chant, but I just went all-out with cancels IIRC.

Hmm I'll try going All Out first then, thanks for the tip.

I also can't believe I gotta scale Old Smokey again for a 3rd Bounty hunt lol.

Arthea

ya, symphonic orchestra - the best surprise in this game! so good

My game was lost somewhere for a long time, so I'm only starting too (about 7 hours in now). Seeing as everybody is already finishing, hopefully you'll post a lot here :)

This is some bullshit.

When I started the tokotoko quest Oliver was around level 45. He is now level 72 and I still haven't caught one. I'm still at Perdida in the main quest too, so I don't know how much of the rest of the main quest I've broken by over-leveling.

I tried to go and get some regular Tokos, but I encounter them a lot less often than tokotokos.
Wow, that sounds horrible. I didn't do that quest because I was afraid of the scenario you went through, plus it seemed like such a huge momentum killer at that point in the game.

You are way over-leveled for the rest of the game, sadly.

RedSwirl

Wow, that sounds horrible. I didn't do that quest because I was afraid of the scenario you went through, plus it seemed like such a huge momentum killer at that point in the game.

You are way over-leveled for the rest of the game, sadly.

It is, but my OCD does not allow me to continue on. This is the OCD that compelled me to mine every single planet in Mass Effect 2 to depletion. Even after I catch one of these things I gotta grind the fuck out of it too. Fuck you Derwin.

RedSwirl

Oh what the fuck.

Am I even on the errand that
requires a Tokotoko?!

To be clear, I'm on errand 74. The other creatures Derwin asked for are a Wispula and a Flinty. I assumed the third creature was a Docotoko, but now he's describing a "Trumpy," which is apparently a Trumpy-Pumper. In the main quest I haven't progressed any further than Perdida.

So, is there some later quest where Derwin asks for a Docotoko?

Damnit. I'm continuing the main quest tomorrow.

Edit: Is there even a quest where
Derwin asks for a Docotoko?!

acidagfc

Hey guys, quick question.

I just got to the part where familiar evolving is introduced.
So apparently familiar is dropped to level 1 as well as his stats.

Does he retain upgraded stats (food eaten)?

RedSwirl

What is the capture rate for a Shonky-Honker? Because Jesus Christ.

Edit: Why do some enemy types in this game always wanna start shit no matter how over-leveled you are?

Peagles

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I figured some of you would be interested! :)
I designed a limited edition parody Ni No Kuni tee, only available this weekend!

$11 bucks at TheYetee.com

i8BWDUy.gif

And my buddy Marc made a rad tee also going up with mine:

uOGyrfU.gif

Cheers guys!

Got my two today, WOW! I guessed the sizing great too!

My partner's just ordering your one for today too Dreweyes :)

MicH

I got my Ni no Kuni guide today (FINALLY) and I got a Gold Hurly code, which I can't use since I'm in Europe and got him already. If anyone wants it, just shoot me a PM and I will give it to the first one :)

EDIT: Taken

RedSwirl

Okay, finished that fucking quest. I shall now resume the main quest when I'm done with my rental of Gears Judgement, but I will be doing so with a level 80 party. Some of my familiars are as high as 85. What kind of experience I expect here? Should I just bring my guys over to the Solosseum now?

Okay, finished that fucking quest. I shall now resume the main quest when I'm done with my rental of Gears Judgement, but I will be doing so with a level 80 party. Some of my familiars are as high as 85. What kind of experience I expect here? Should I just bring my guys over to the Solosseum now?

Yes, but Rank S is only post-game and generally requires an L99 crew.

UFRA

So I'm working on Task 78. I'm looking for golden familiars. Anyone know any tricks for this?

Do they show up in the "world map" when you are in a dangerous place? Or do I have to engage enemies and hope that one of the 3 enemies in the battle spawns a gold familiar?

I don't get how this works. I've been running all over the dangerous places the guide says they're in, and I see 0.

And yes, I'm in post-clear game mode.

Gila

So I'm working on Task 78. I'm looking for golden familiars. Anyone know any tricks for this?

Do they show up in the "world map" when you are in a dangerous place? Or do I have to engage enemies and hope that one of the 3 enemies in the battle spawns a gold familiar?

I don't get how this works. I've been running all over the dangerous places the guide says they're in, and I see 0.

And yes, I'm in post-clear game mode.

They're golden before you engage them, so you don't have to battle random ones in hope of finding a golden - you'll see them as you would for normal monsters except they're golden. I also don't think I've encountered any in the world map, just in those dangerous places. So far I've seen them at golden grove and smokey mountain, and I'm not on that quest yet.

On another note, platinum is taking way too long. Currently 66 hours in, party is L99, still need S in solloseum, have 120 familiars tamed and have like 10 items alchemized. I got so much shit to do and I've been reading that people platn'm at around 80hrs. So I hope these last 14 hours get the job done

UFRA

They're golden before you engage them, so you don't have to battle random ones in hope of finding a golden - you'll see them as you would for normal monsters except they're golden. I also don't think I've encountered any in the world map, just in those dangerous places. So far I've seen them at golden grove and smokey mountain, and I'm not on that quest yet.

On another note, platinum is taking way too long. Currently 66 hours in, party is L99, still need S in solloseum, have 120 familiars tamed and have like 10 items alchemized. I got so much shit to do and I've been reading that people platn'm at around 80hrs. So I hope these last 14 hours get the job done

Thanks. Shortly after I posted that I found one in Glittering Grotto that I needed.

Then after 2 more hours of trying to find it again I was unsuccessful. :(

Although a few times it did show up within a battle I engaged in, but when I stole from it, I got different items than what I needed (meteorite fragments instead of Kaleidostones).

Task 78 is probably the worst one in the whole game. I hate grind missions like this. I'm not having fun, so if any developers are reading this get it through your head - this isn't fun!! :p I don't like wasting hours of my precious gaming time accomplishing literally nothing as I wait for a 0.000000002% chance that a familiar I need will appear, and then a 0.00000000000000000001% chance that I can steal the correct item from it.

lunchtoast

So I haven't played this game since the week it came out. About 20 hours in. It's more grindy than I thought it would be, and didn't like the pokemon aspect. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to capture monsters w/o a random chance :/.

Hopefully I pick it up again someday.

Tizoc

Drippy's my fav. character in this game, I also his fairy race's accents X3

Anyways need help in the Miasma Marshes
the boss is kicking my ass, where can I find accessories that protect me from Poison and any additional tips to dealing big damage to him?

Drippy's my fav. character in this game, I also his fairy race's accents X3

Anyways need help in the Miasma Marshes
the boss is kicking my ass, where can I find accessories that protect me from Poison and any additional tips to dealing big damage to him?
Use Oliver's new spell. It does like 450 damage per casting. Big damage.

DR2K

Banned
Just finished this, pretty dull ending. Overall the game over stayed its welcome at the end.

Every boss fight was the same big gigantic HP monster that had an all out attack that nearly kills everyone.

Most monsters are useless.

Evolution requiring a level reset is stupid.

Cutscenes and cinimatics in battle should not cancel out other commands.

AI partners are as dumb as hammers.

Too many non voiced scenes, big shame since the VA was rather good.

Dungeon design felt like FF13, tons of monster fights in a corridor(albeit branching paths) where you only get the illusion of being able to avoid them. Overall cheap way to pad play time.

I liked the visuals, the characters, the overall plot and the unique blend of Pokemon and Tales battle system. Overall it was worth it.

Top Bottom