• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nigga and You: A Comprehensive Guide to the N-Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

It should be D.O.N.T. for everybody. Not because of equality or anything like that, but because the word and all its derivatives need to be eliminated from modern use. Keeping it alive in any form does more harm than good, and for most (black people) the justification is questionable at absolute best, and in my experience mostly comes down to "I like saying it, I'm too lazy to break the habit."

JMO, but I'm pretty adamant about it :-\

jdouglas

Same applies to redheads. We have a pretty strong intragroup relationship where we sometimes refer to eachother as "my ginga", but the hard "er" is what makes it offensive, so I fully understand why black people like to keep the n word "in house".

DedValve

Banned
I stopped using it a long while ago and made it clear to never use it again. Even though half my family is black me and my mom are white as snow and I grew up in a more latino neighboorhood whereas my sisters grew up in a black neighboorhood.

So yeah culturally and ethnically I don't feel deserved to use it, so I don't. I do use fam a lot especially with my nephews. We should all use that more.

Also singing is not an exception, its the word. The word doesn't magically become appropriate because it rhymes to a beat. I've seen people who clearly got the first part of not saying it yet always makes exceptions to songs as if the word suddenly has a totally different meaning, context and history because a beat is playing.

I'm curious as to what are some west coast slang.

Gin-Shiio

Same applies to redheads. We have a pretty strong intragroup relationship where we sometimes refer to eachother as "my ginga", but the hard "er" is what makes it offensive, so I fully understand why black people like to keep the n word "in house".

I'm a ginger myself, but now I've heard it all.

Regginator

lol, that's top satire right there. 10/10

see5harp

I have to say that Kendrick Lamar at Fyf was 98% white and that was the first time I've heard that many carefree "niggas" in my life.

USC-fan

Banned

What if my mom a redhead?

Nottle

I listen to a lot of Kanye and Lupe Fiasco. Alone in my car I won't censor myself because it's harmless because no one knows.

But a few weeks ago I was at a party. We went because my girlfriend wanted to see an old roommate for like half an hour. When Gold Digger started playing my biracial girlfriend. Said "a lot of white people are about to fuck up." At which point the white latino people at the party tucked up. We left a few minutes later. My girlfriend was very sad.

The point is use D.O.N.T. Have some respect for other people.

JeTmAn81

I listen to a lot of Kanye and Lupe Fiasco. Alone in my car I won't censor myself because it's harmless because no one knows.

But a few weeks ago I was at a party. We went because my girlfriend wanted to see an old roommate for like half an hour. When Gold Digger started playing my biracial girlfriend. Said "a lot of white people are about to fuck up." At which point the white latino people at the party tucked up. We left a few minutes later. My girlfriend was very sad.

The point is use D.O.N.T. Have some respect for other people.

I feel like if you want people to appreciate black music, requiring them to censor themselves when singing along is pretty ridiculous. Like when Gwyneth Paltrow got in trouble for saying the name of that Jay-Z/Kanye West song. You know the one.

Context, setting and intent are what matter. I let my white friends say nigga all the time. They're not stupid enough to think they have an all access pass to saying with whoever they want though.

I feel like if you want people to appreciate black music, requiring them to censor themselves when singing along is pretty ridiculous. Like when Gwyneth Paltrow got in trouble for saying the name of that Jay-Z/Kanye West song. You know the one.

Yeah. I know what you mean. Like, last week I saw Kanye, and I'm a white dude. It would've been this amazing, rapturous, high-energy concert, one of the best I've ever been to. But having to not say one word as I sang along? Totally ruined all of it. Awful night.

/s

Enzom21

Not every black person is okay with anyone's use of the word so who gives a flying fuck if it ruins your enjoyment of a fucking song.
You can whine about how unfair it is when inequality is no longer a problem.
By the way, Paltrow was calling people nigga, she wasn't just quoting the song. She wrote "Niggas in Paris for real." that's not quoting a song.

What are the black community's thoughts on white people referring to black people as "a brother?" This has always irritated me.

There's absolutely no problem with a white person or anyone calling me "brother". I welcome it. You guys are my brothers, just a thousand times removed.

Now if you're referring to someone saying, "A brother just dropped their water bottle on the ground.." That's a bit awkward phrasing and I honestly haven't heard it used like that in several decades. Do people still even use it like that anymore?

Enzom21

There's absolutely no problem with a white person or anyone calling me "brother". I welcome it. You guys are my brothers, just a thousand times removed.

Now if you're referring to someone saying, "A brother just dropped their water bottle on the ground.." That's a bit awkward phrasing and I honestly haven't heard it used like that in several decades. Do people still even use it like that anymore?

It's becomes an issue if they only use when talking to me.
They'll call a room full of white people dude, man or some variation but call me bro or brother, nah.

see5harp

Not every black person is okay with anyone's use of the word so who gives a flying fuck if it ruins your enjoyment of a fucking song.
You can whine about how unfair it is when inequality is no longer a problem.
By the way, Paltrow was calling people nigga, she wasn't just quoting the song. She wrote "Niggas in Paris for real." that's not quoting a song.

It was a picture of her dancing on stage that The Dream took and posted. Not that it matters if you truly feel people should never ever use the word.

It's becomes an issue if they only use when talking to me.
They'll call a room full of white people dude, man or some variation but call me bro or brother, nah.

There's nothing wrong with the word. The problem is the guy "othering" you. Would be the same thing if he said, "What up G" or something similar.

Though sometimes white (or non-black) people do that because they simply have very little experience being around black people, so they get nervous and say something stupid. It's not always an issue of malice or hidden bigotry.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How does D.O.N.T. apply to TriHard on Twitch?

Enzom21

It was a picture of her dancing on stage that The Dream took and posted. Not that it matters if you truly feel people should never ever use the word.
The Dream didn't post that shit. That was the story concocted when she received push back. She initially posted "Hold up. It's the title of the song!" after people gave her shit.
I have no issue with black people using nigga but I most certainly don't believe The Dream posted it.

There's nothing wrong with the word. The problem is the guy "othering" you. Would be the same thing if he said, "What up G" or something similar.

Though sometimes white (or non-black) people do that because they simply have very little experience being around black people, so they get nervous and say something stupid. It's not always an issue of malice or hidden bigotry.
Yeah that's what I wrote... it becomes a problem when it's only you they're using it with.

see5harp

The Dream didn't post that shit. That was the story concocted when she received push back. She initially posted "Hold up. It's the title of the song!" after people gave her shit.
I have no issue with black people using nigga but I most certainly don't believe The Dream posted it.

Yeah that's what I wrote... it becomes a problem when it's only you they're using it with.

Yea but was it picture of her? Using my niggas to describe a picture of yourself and friends is different than just posting a picture of two random black people on the street and saying "niggas in paris for real." That doesn't mean it was okay for her to even post it. I find it silly to put censors in your song title. They did that shit with pussy print on the Gucci album and pussy isn't even offensive. If you're at a show and there is call and response going on, I feel like censoring yourself would be pretty lame. I never use the word in my day to day life though.

Enzom21

Yea but was it picture of her? Using my niggas to describe a picture of yourself and friends is different than just posting a picture of two random black people on the street and saying "niggas in paris for real." That doesn't mean it was okay for her to even post it. I find it silly to put censors in your song title. They did that shit with pussy print on the Gucci album and pussy isn't even offensive. If you're at a show and there is call and response going on, I feel like censoring yourself would be pretty lame. I never use the word in my day to day life though.

White people shouldn't call black people nigga under any circumstance and really shouldn't be calling themselves it either. If you're not black you really shouldn't use it, but that's on you.

Newt

It should be D.O.N.T. for everybody. Not because of equality or anything like that, but because the word and all its derivatives need to be eliminated from modern use. Keeping it alive in any form does more harm than good, and for most (black people) the justification is questionable at absolute best, and in my experience mostly comes down to "I like saying it, I'm too lazy to break the habit."

JMO, but I'm pretty adamant about it :-
I completely agree with this mindset.

Ronin

QSt3QSK.jpg

I know some of y'all feel this, but just don't.

pixelation

Look, why do you guys make it so complicated?. Using the "N" word among yourselves and in movies and in mainstream songs. You know the saying "Monkey see, monkey do"?, i am a person that when i listen to a song that i like i sing along with it. So if i like a song that has the "N' word in it more likely than not i am still gonna sing along with it.

I am not a racist guy at all, i like people of all colors. I honestly think that if you guys find said word to be offensive you should at the very least not put it in movies and songs that are readily accessible to the public at large.

Honestly you guys make it sound like its a cool word in your songs and movies.

Enzom21

Look, why do you guys make it so complicated?. Using the "N" word among yourselves and in movies and in mainstream songs. You know the saying "Monkey see, monkey do"?, i am a person that when i listen to a song that i like i sing along with it. So if i like a song that has the "N' word in it more likely than not i am still gonna sing along with it.

I am not a racist guy at all, i like people of all colors. I honestly think that if you guys find said word to be offensive you should at the very least not put it in movies and songs that are readily accessible to the public at large.

So all black people put nigga in music and movies? Rappers and actors represent all black people?

As a white guy is it okay to sing the theme song from this movie as long as no one else is around?

Because it's really catchy.

No one is actually stopping anyone from saying nigger, you can do and say whatever you want. There are however, consequences to your actions.
You should sing that around some black people though, see how that works out for you.

pixelation

A) So all black people put nigga in music and movies?

B) Rappers and actors represent all black people?

A) No, but you don't need all of them using it to popularize it.

B) To the population at large and in my case, foreign countries?. Unfortunately yes.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my two cents by the way. That's just how i see it.

Enzom21

A) No, but you don't need all of them using it to popularize it.

B) To the population at large and in my case, foreign countries?. Unfortunately yes.

I don't mean to offend anyone with my two cents by the way. That's just how i see it.
So if all you saw in movies and music is black people stealing and killing people would you think all black people were like that? Do you not see how that's racist?
In the day and age of the internet, living in a country with no black people is no long a valid excuse for being ignorant about black people.
If you're getting movies and music from us, then you take to time to learn more about us.

I get the conflict when it comes to lyrics, because you're not really directing "n****" TO anyone, you're just singing along to a catchy tune. So I can see why some people see it in more of an innocent light.

But I agree you should be conscientious of your audience first. Realize that saying it may make people uncomfortable, so tread carefully. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable singing "Boss n***" alone *or* in front of people.

see5harp

I think most people with any social sensitivity will know whether or not it's okay to say "fuck nigga" as part of a lyric in front of other people, regardless of whether it's friends or strangers, white or black. You talk to your friends differently than you talk to your parents. Obviously people using the word have no say over what someone else feels is offensive. Is everyone here against using the word "bitch" or "ho" as part of lyrics? How about "faggot"? Ice Cube recited all of the same homophobic shit in his songs this year at Coachella and people happily sung along.

White people want to say nigga freely but not carry the burden that comes with being black in America. They want to appropriate and copy black culture and slang but no stand with us when we need it. The same people claiming that saying nigga is a double standard are the same people thAt tell us not to protest and to accept what we have been given.

Nepenthe

Honestly you guys make it sound like its a cool word in your songs and movies.

Do you talk to your boss like you do your best friend? Do you talk to your best friend's girlfriend or wife as if she's yours? Do you curse freely in front of children or your elders? Do you use the same language you use with everyone regardless of relation to you, social standing, or even the medium of communication?

If not, then you inherently understand that certain words and phrases are unacceptable in different social circles due to their context and the relationships between the speakers. One of that contexts is race and the power dynamics inherent therein. So why are you making this so complicated, as if you can't help but say it, and on top of that why are you blaming us for your inability to police yourself? You say you're not racist but this post comes across terribly for proving that assertion.

The Lamp

White people want to say nigga freely but not carry the burden that comes with being black in Astamerica. They want to appropriate and copy black culture and slang but no stand with us when we need it. The same people claiming that saying nigga is a double standard are the same people thAt tell us not to protest and to accept what we have been given.

This is one of the best justifications I've read for reclaiming the word.

White people want to say nigga freely but not carry the burden that comes with being black in Astamerica. They want to appropriate and copy black culture and slang but no stand with us when we need it. The same people claiming that saying nigga is a double standard are the same people thAt tell us not to protest and to accept what we have been given.

Well put.

pixelation

A) So if all you saw in movies and music is black people stealing and killing people would you think all black people were like that? do you not see how that's racist?

B) In the day and age of the internet, living in a country with no black people is no long a valid excuse for being ignorant about black people.
If you're getting movies and music from us, then you take to time to learn more about us.

A) Stealing and killing are actions, we all know that said actions are crimes and not good. If i see said actions carried out by a person regardless of color is not gonna make me wanna go ahead and do it, that is dumb because those actions are considered a crime in most developed countries.

B) Wait what?, i am not ignorant about black people. Its just confusing that if black people are offended by a certain word they still go ahead and use it among yourselves (and popularize it)... and that would be o.k. if it was not also used outside of your population. But you guys go ahead and use it on movies and songs. That is the way that most people get to know about black people and their ways. You guys use the "N" word and make it seem like a cool word, it is not surprising to find that younger people find it cool to say said word. And it's really strange to demand that people "learn" more about your culture before we see/listen/enjoy music made by black people.

EDIT: Won't reply anymore. This is a sensitive subject and opinions are polarizing and it's quite easy to offend someone.

labx

Banned
Thread of the year.

edit: the D.O.N.T system should apply to any other derogatory noun for referring to an ethnicity.

LionPride

Banned
No nigga

You can sing a fucking song and not say nigga. Why can't people get this through their heads

LionPride

Banned
They're looking for any excuse to justify saying nigga
The lengths people will go through. It's really simple

Are you not black and you don't know if you can say nigga? DON'T SAY NIGGA.

Are you not black and in your car listening to music? DON'T SAY NIGGA

Were you given permission with a friend to say it and think that extends to everyone? IT DOESN'T DON'T SAY NIGGA

Order

The lengths people will go through. It's really simple

Are you not black and you don't know if you can say nigga? DON'T SAY NIGGA.

Are you not black and in your car listening to music? DON'T SAY NIGGA

Were you given permission with a friend to say it and think that extends to everyone? IT DOESN'T DON'T SAY NIGGA
"But I really want to say it tho"

Glix

Im white. I never say it, even if singing along to something. I let my white friends know i have an issue with them using it around me, it rubs me the wrong way.

I would never tell a friend that is a PoC that im uncomfortable with them saying it i dont really feel its my place.

Enzom21

A) Stealing and killing are actions, we all know that said actions are crimes and not good. If i see said actions carried out by a person regardless of color is not gonna make me wanna go ahead and do it, that is dumb because those actions are considered a crime in most developed countries.

B) Wait what?, i am not ignorant about black people. Its just confusing that if black people are offended by a certain word they still go ahead and use it among yourselves (and popularize it)... and that would be o.k. if it was not also used outside of your population. But you guys go ahead and use it on movies and songs. That is the way that most people get to know about black people and their ways. You guys use the "N" word and make it seem like a cool word, it is not surprising to find that younger people find it cool to say said word. And it's really strange to demand that people "learn" more about your culture before we see/listen/enjoy music made by black people.

EDIT: Won't reply anymore. This is a sensitive subject and opinions are polarizing and it's quite easy to offend someone.
You most certainly are ignorant about black people. You saying all black people say "nigga" based on fucking rapers and actors saying it.
Our ways? Once again, rapper and actors don't represent black people. That is exactly the same as seeing black people commit a crime and thinking all black people commit crime.
I am not surprised about the double down and turning tail and running when people question your fucked up opinion.
Do something more than watch movies or listen rap and maybe you'll stop thinking we are one big monolith.
Im white. I never say it, even if singing along to something. I let my white friends know i have an issue with them using it around me, it rubs me the wrong way.

I would never tell a friend that is a PoC that im uncomfortable with them saying it i dont really feel its my place.

You can let non-black people of color know. They shouldn't be saying it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom