• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NikkeI: Foxconn considering $7 billion US Factory with Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxconn Technology Group Chairman Terry Gou told reporters in Taipei the company is considering a joint investment with Apple Inc. for a display manufacturing facility in the U.S., according to a report by the Nikkei Asian Review.

The facility would cost more than $7 billion and may create an eventual 30,000 to 50,000 jobs, the publication cited Gou as saying. The rising demand for larger displays makes domestic U.S. production a better solution than shipping from China and “Apple is willing to invest in the facility together because they need the (panels) as well,” he said. Apple didn’t immediately respond Sunday to a Bloomberg News request for comment.

Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., is also planning a new molding facility in the U.S., possibly in Pennsylvania, Nikkei reported. Separately, Smart Technologies, a Foxconn-controlled interactive display company in Canada, may move to the U.S. in light of President Donald Trump’s indication he may seek to alter terms of the North American Free Trade Agreement, Nikkei reported Gou as saying.
Gou said he sees American protectionism as “inevitable” while questioning whether U.S. consumers will be willing to pay much higher prices for equipment of equal quality, according to Nikkei. The publication said Gou spoke to reporters after Foxconn’s holiday party in the Nankang district of Taipei.

Link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Didn't see a thread for this lock if old.

ViciousDS

Banned
Thanks, Drumpf

Edit: would it really be that many jobs? I cannot see them investing without automation being the forefront since it's going to be built from the ground up

Awesome.

Americans will get to enjoy working slave-labor and not be able to afford the new iPhone.

...questioning whether U.S. consumers will be willing to pay much higher prices for equipment of equal quality...

Enjoy!

Didn't foxconn say they want to switch to full automation recently?
Yes.

They apparently already replaced 60,000 workers with robots. These jobs created in the USA are just a temporary necessity u til they go full robot. Then it obviously also makes sense to just expand everywhere, you have no high worker wages to care about anymore.

JordanN

Banned
Also, I just realized Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, but have factories in mainland China. That's a bit confusing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought the problem was like labor supply and material supply, but I guess that could be mitigated if you just make one component here.

Border adjustment taxes may make this happen.

Wasnt there an article saying that many industries were looking to come back from China anyways because we are more IP friendly among other issues

I dont like this whole crediting Trump language

jelly

Minus 20% Tax Rate funded by the US tax payer. Jobs to build factory and robots then a few jobs long term to maintain robots and factory.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Even imagining these jobs do get created:

'ease up regulations for us, or we replace 60,000 jobs over a fortnight with automation.'

That could very well be a conversation the us government may have at some point.

antonz

theyre talking about making displays here, not the whole phone. lets not get carried away yet

Displays is one of the biggest reasons apple has given for years on why they cant build them in America. If anything this shows companies think Trump is stupid enough to actually start the trade wars he has talked about

kmag

Yes.

They apparently already replaced 60,000 workers with robots. These jobs created in the USA are just a temporary necessity u til they go full robot. Then it obviously also makes sense to just expand everywhere, you have no high worker wages to care about anymore.

Once you automate there's very little reason not to assemble the product in or close to it's main market.

At this point China's only real competitive advantage is the local "farm" to "table" supply chain it can provide for almost all electronic products.

Doesn't the higher wages of American workers causing the panels to cost more contradict your claim that it is slave labor?

Wages aren't the reason why cost would go up. I would wager that wages are nearly meaningless when it comes to the cost of the of the fabrication. The major cost is going to be via access to materials, market, etc.

People are forgetting that the US is lacking the entire production chain and raw materials, especially rare-earth metals, which are of particular importance to electonic devices.

Yep.

tuxfool

Banned
People are forgetting that the US is lacking the entire production chain and raw materials, especially rare-earth metals, which are of particular importance to electronic devices.

gcubed

People are forgetting that the US is lacking the entire production chain and raw materials, especially rare-earth metals, which are of particular importance to electronic devices.

But mining rare earth materials is an amazing opportunity for the new EPA

Zaru

Apple could probably produce Iphones in Luxembourg or something and still make a hefty profit without increasing prices at all.
They wouldn't, of course, because the shareholders would lynch them at even the slightest hint of reduced profit, but they could.

Nipo

Apple could probably produce Iphones in Luxembourg or something and still make a hefty profit without increasing prices at all.
They wouldn't, of course, because the shareholders would lynch them at even the slightest hint of reduced profit, but they could.

Of course the purpose of apple isn't to make iPhones it is to create value for shareholders.

Move it to Memphis, tons of skilled manufacturing in the city, low cost of living, apple works out a deal with FedEx to keep shipping costs down in the entire hemisphere. Everyone wins

Ponn

Banned
This is the stuff that will get Trump re-elected. Even if the jobs aren't lucrative and minimum wage or long term thats stuff that will not be a factor in 4 years. He just needs to point to numbers.

Way to take a positive and turn it into a [false] negative. Keep up the good fight.

What is the false negative. Foxconn is known for significantly under paying employees and the chairman of Foxconn wondered whether American customers would be willing to pay "much higher" prices on their products.

Foxconn also recently stated they want to move heavily to automation. They want to have 30% automation by 2020, that is the way those jobs are going. I'm sorry.

Dierce

They only say it will create jobs to get huge tax cuts, in the end it will be near full automation. The only reason they would consider this is for quicker production/distribution.

Dierce

Glad you can predict the future, please tell us more

Well, it probably wont come to that but just imagine if suddenly there were millions of manufacturing jobs in this country that paid $20+ the hour. It wouldn't be farfetched to imagine big inflation to balance that out.

This is precisely of the reason I will ever believe the asshole who says he voted for orange vomit to bring back those jobs, the real reason is that he appealed to their bigotry.

I'm going to ask the completely uneducated question as to why we can be the number one manufacturer of cars in the world and make them at competitive prices yet we apparently can't make a phone or a computer here

I'm going to say this is a great thing until proven otherwise. We can fear monger about iPhones costing triple what they do now or whatever but I doubt it. People just won't buy them. Or they'll just be chasing half their business to their competitors who aren't planning on making anything here

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Glad you can predict the future, please tell us more
Why do you think no US manufacturer was competing with foxconn for apple's money? Because they simply wouldn't be able to get away with the lack of pay and the low wages you can get away with in asia, along with worker's rights which are basically nonexistent. Foxconn has also driven many Chinese workers to suicide because of conditons. Do you want this for americans?

Dehnus

Thanks, Drumpf

Edit: would it really be that many jobs? I cannot see them investing without automation being the forefront since it's going to be built from the ground up

The problem here is not the jobs, is that you buy a new Cellphone every year or two years. The waste there in Carbon footprint (during production and after wards in disposal), heavy metals and plastic is just extreme.

And that is just one part of problem, we are consuming ourselves into oblivion. If we want "more jobs" we'll destroy the planet simple as that. Either we have to work less efficient or have to settle for a different economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom